[Webcomic] PVP Discussion

I stopped reading PVP over a year ago, but this thread got me curious enough to stop by the site. Is it wrong of me to think that the funniest thing on the site over the holidays was his PVP store announcement?

Scott Kurtz said:
There’s been a bit of confusion regarding our store. And it’s lead to some customer service botch-ups on my end. I wanted to make a post and clear a couple things up. The PvP store is currently not open for business. We’ve moved our merchandise from our Austin, TX warehouse to the new shiny Penny-Arcade (Seattle based) warehouse. Having our merchandise ship from a local warehouse means that it’s easy for me to personalize orders as they go out to you guys, something I feel is really important.
The timing isn’t great. The PvP store is not open during prime holiday shopping. And that’s unfortunate, but serves a greater good I guess. But you guys have been very determined to order PvP product despite the store being down. Either on purpose or on accident, many of you have found your way to the pages of individual products and managed to place an order in a store that’s not currently open.
This is my fault. Wanting to keep the product pages live for reference as I set up the new store made them still active if someone managed to go directly to them. But we’re not set up and prepared to ship that order currently. And some of you are reasonably upset about this.

Eventually someone is going to say the hell with complaining about missing orders in online forums and go straight to reporting his sorry ass to the authorities for fraud.

If I ever happen to run into Scott at a con I'll pick up the Awesomology, because I'd really like to own it.

But I am certainly not gonna order it, at least not until he merges his store with PA's, if ever.

It's becoming even more of a vanity strip, which I didn't think he could do. I can't wait until they hire the new handsome and talented Scott Kurtis to show them how to succeed online.

They won't do anything unless it's on a very large scale. The best you can do is report him to the BBB, and chances are he wouldn't care. He enjoys online publicity, so attacking him online won't matter.

Can you imagine how well he'd be doing if he actually, you know, took this all seriously?
As many times as I've seen complaints on the old halfpixel boards for undelivered merchandise even months later, a few criminal complaints would get his attention. Even if nothing were done, news that it was happening would get out. And spread. And spread.

He doesn't care that he's considered a hack. Once the wider world starts to see him as a thief?

When I ordered from PvP it was delivered about a month late and he didn't reply to a single email that I sent him.

I wasn't hugely concerned by the slow delivery but the failure to answer basic emails is just asshattery

Well, I would like to see how he would get Francis or Marcy to move. Francis I assume is suppose to still be living with his mom, and Marcy is attending college, is she not? And will the panda be going with them if PvP does move? Doubt that some of these things will be dealt with in any kind of depth, though. Not the way Kurtz has been handling the comic as of late. Pity too, I really would like the comic to get back to where it could be again.

P

Philosopher B.

Man, I was eating when I came into this thread, quit posting pictures of the pope.

I stopped reading PVP when I realized that I didn't find the comic particularly entertaining anymore and the only reason I was still checking the site was because I was waiting for schadenfreude that was never going to happen. His shortcomings are never going to result in a proper comeuppance.

So now, I enjoy PVP on a meta-level. It's fun to occasionally hear stories of that wacky Scott and what he has gotten himself into now. It's almost as if he is the comic strip character now.

Did the comic ever behave like it was in a particular city? I knew it was in Dallas, and he was too, but he never acted like these people live there.

They've never done anything that you could only do in Dallas or anything. I had actually assumed they operated in some fictional town or something. It's really going to bother me if he keeps pushing the whole notion of Dallas is not going anywhere or something.

LoL bat is from Dallas too, I guess? Shit.

Cajungal

Staff member
I guess that's his way of avoiding a long, whiny divorce arc. Gotta say, I'm glad we were spared. That said, the way we were given this information is very jarring.

Man, what happened to poses and body language? All I'm see is arms firmly clamped to the sides of their bodies and a lot of the camera angles have taken the form of shot reverse shot. Scott's art has improved by a lot, but now it looks like he learned how to frame conversations from George Lucas.

Their location was established in the Dallas-Fort Worth area early on. One of the old comics is about Donna asking Cole to get tickets to a Rangers baseball game.

Cole's kids being in college is the part that really throws me. the last time I remember seeing his kids they were probably about 10 years old. Now during the whole wedding/skull leaving/etc story arc the characters aged about 3 years (at least for Francis and Marcy) now if we assume that Cole's kids aged as well than they should only be about 13 or so so how the heck are they in college?

Cole's kids being in college is the part that really throws me. the last time I remember seeing his kids they were probably about 10 years old. Now during the whole wedding/skull leaving/etc story arc the characters aged about 3 years (at least for Francis and Marcy) now if we assume that Cole's kids aged as well than they should only be about 13 or so so how the heck are they in college?
Yeah, I remember that his daughter was born in one of the early strips (when PVP was still about video games). The series started in 1998, meaning that even if the characters aged in real time (which they don't) then his daughter would only be 13 or 14.

Wow. I haven't read PvP for two or three years. This latest arc reminds me a little bit of the "All my circuits" movie from Futurama.

Do you want to see Calculon file more paperwork?

Also, Brent seems to be channeling Sally Forth's smug demeanor.

If he set out to prove that webcomics can be just as irrelevant and unfunny as most newspaper comics he's doing a terrific job.

Pardon my facepalm as I read the whole "movin' to Seattle" storyline.

Anyone wanna bet what LOLBat will be swinging around on his invisible rope?

From Oct. 23:

Butler is his life IN continuity. LOLBAT is his escape out of it. The two don’t mix or interfere and it’s fun to all be in on the secret. And the reveal is so much fun.
So, with the recent crossover into the Kringus storyarc, I guess the two mixing or interfering just went out the window? Or is Scratch vs. Santa considered out of continuity, too?

North_Ranger

Staff member
Anyone wanna bet what LOLBat will be swinging around on his invisible rope?
http://www.pvponline.com/2011/01/11/now-that-you-mansion-it/

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Seriously speaking, I think I'm going to skip PVP for a week or so... because it seems that the move to Seattle will be as momentous an occasion as having a root canal. Robbie just happens to own a mansion in Seattle? Gee... I guess Scott had to come up with some way to keep LOLBat in the picture, because we sure as hell haven't got anything fun out of Robbie and Butler in... how many years now? Not to mention Jase. Where is that bitter former friend anyway? Wasn't he supposed to be living with Robbie again, now that the putz caused Jase's girlfriend to leave him and kick him out of the house? Or did he get run over by a herd of Sumatran redsnout wallabies around the time when Cole went through his divorce?

Scott mentioned in his blog "2010 was all about pushing my art to the next level and I plan for next year to be about pushing my writing in the same direction." What you are seeing is a renewed focus on his writing. I'm smelling an Eisner award.

Here's the new one: http://www.pvponline.com/comics/pvp20110112.png

Tomorrow's strip:
Jade "Francis don't cry."
Brent and Cole look at each other.
Brent "It's time we told him."
Cole "No. You said you'd never tell."
Brent "We have to. Francis, Cole is your father."
Francis "What?"
Cole "It's true, I hooked up with your mother years ago. You are my son."
Francis "So I can move to Seattle with you. . . DAD!"
Cole "Now for the bad news, I'm also Marcy's dad. You've been tapping your sister."

Francis is at least 19 years old. And attending a community college only nominally. Hell, that was back in 2008, if time passes at the same rate as it does for Cole's kids then he's probably a graduate by now.

WHY IN THE HELL WOULD HE NOT BE ABLE TO MOVE TO SEATTLE :Leyla:

figmentPez

Staff member
After this we get to see how Skull takes the news, right? Then they move, and Scratch and Kirby get lost and then have to travel together cross-country to get to Seattle, but Skull is all worried that they'll go back to Dallas....

This is a test of the emergency face palm broadcasting systems.
Please do not adjust your Halforums.
This is a only a test.
...*Ding*...

This concludes our test of the emergency face palm broadcasting system.
In the event of a real face palm event please place the palm of your hand onto your face and audibly sigh.
We now return you to our regularly scheduled discussion.