Random Video Game Crap

I have no interest in playing Super Smash Bros. Never dug the series. But I thought this was an adorable way of explaining why the Duck Hunt Dog and a Duck were friends in the game:

Spoilered for length.

fade

Staff member
Yeah, and like the Kotaku commenters pointed out, the girl's rape-tastic reaction to being touched is fairly disturbing, too.

Yeah, and like the Kotaku commenters pointed out, the girl's rape-tastic reaction to being touched is fairly disturbing, too.
I just filed that under "General Japanism" - "It's not sexy in Japan unless it's kind of pedorapey". I wonder if it's from the same company that made the DS game where you molest young witches with the stylus.

New Freeman's Mind!

Anyone else still watching this? Updates are a bit more frequent since the creator split away from Machinima. Apparently, they were screwing him over, schedule-wise.

In waiting for Smash Bros, I decided to play some Playstation All-Stars: Battle Royale.

I'm just kidding. Even the core game mechanic is just bad, where none of the fighting matters, it's all just trying to build up your super meter, because only a hit with a super move scores a point. It's like fucking quidditch, where 90% of the game is pointless.

But to remind everyone of how good games journalism is, here's IGN's review.

In waiting for Smash Bros, I decided to play some Playstation All-Stars: Battle Royale.

I'm just kidding. Even the core game mechanic is just bad, where none of the fighting matters, it's all just trying to build up your super meter, because only a hit with a super move scores a point. It's like fucking quidditch, where 90% of the game is pointless.

But to remind everyone of how good games journalism is, here's IGN's review.

Is Smash Brothers much better? Normal attacks don't serve much point aside from building %. You have to do a Smash attack or other strong attack to ring out someone and get a point.

As for Playstation All-Stars... I kind of feel bad for it, if only because it was going to be a launching vehicle for Sony characters to get new titles. Sir Dan was promoting MediEvil on Vita, but there was talks of redoing MediEvil 2 or even doing another game until PSAS bombed. Dart from Legend of the Dragoon was the next planned DLC character (there are models to prove it) but he got nixed when no one bought the game and there goes any chance of Legend of the Dragoon 2.

Is Smash Brothers much better? Normal attacks don't serve much point aside from building %. You have to do a Smash attack or other strong attack to ring out someone and get a point.
Smash is indeed better. Taking damage in smash still punishes you. The higher your damage meter, the more vulnerable you become. Dodging a smash attack doesn't then reset you to 0%, whereas dodging a super attack in Allstars does.

As for Playstation All-Stars... I kind of feel bad for it, if only because it was going to be a launching vehicle for Sony characters to get new titles. Sir Dan was promoting MediEvil on Vita, but there was talks of redoing MediEvil 2 or even doing another game until PSAS bombed. Dart from Legend of the Dragoon was the next planned DLC character (there are models to prove it) but he got nixed when no one bought the game and there goes any chance of Legend of the Dragoon 2.
I'd say there's a difference since the special attacks in Sony Battle Royale are just one thing, everything's building toward it, whereas you can be doing smash attacks and special attacks all you please throughout Smash Bros battles.

I did actually play it for an hour. It just doesn't work and I don't blame people for ditching the game/not buying it.

Not sure how they'd do a Legend of Dragoon 2 considering the scale to which that game went in its world.

There are few things as demoralizing as damaging your opponent so much in Smash that a non-smash attack causes a ring-out.

There are few things as demoralizing as damaging your opponent so much in Smash that a non-smash attack causes a ring-out.
But hey, in 4 player allstars, it's entirely possible to spawn in after being killed, and then IMMEDIATELY BE KILLED AGAIN BECAUSE ANOTHER PLAYER CHARGED HIS SUPER METER.

One day, I will own a Neo Geo arcade cabinet, and it will be glorious.

Side note: Metal Slug 3 was the best arcade game ever.

figmentPez

Staff member
I've read several articles about how scientific research has used video games as a means to get humans to process complex data. (For instance, Play to Cure: Genes in Space) I like this idea, but I imagine that it's hard to build up a player base for each individual project. What if someone made a standard programming package to allow this to be integrated into any game, so that, say, the hacking mini-game to open locks is actually tracing a nerve's path across a mouse retina. Or maybe, does that one month, and then gets updated to process genetic results later, once the original project is finished. Can you imagine the amount of human processing power that researchers could harness if, say, the next Arkham game had it's code-breaking minigame actually tied to real life data processing?

I've read several articles about how scientific research has used video games as a means to get humans to process complex data. (For instance, Play to Cure: Genes in Space) I like this idea, but I imagine that it's hard to build up a player base for each individual project. What if someone made a standard programming package to allow this to be integrated into any game, so that, say, the hacking mini-game to open locks is actually tracing a nerve's path across a mouse retina. Or maybe, does that one month, and then gets updated to process genetic results later, once the original project is finished. Can you imagine the amount of human processing power that researchers could harness if, say, the next Arkham game had it's code-breaking minigame actually tied to real life data processing?
Loading screens are actually scientists borrowing your processing power in between levels of your game. /tinfoilhat

Loading screens are actually scientists borrowing your processing power in between levels of your game. /tinfoilhat
And system updates don't actually help your system, their really just spyware used to monitor what gamers are doing! Mostly Netflix.

I was just listening to podcast talking about the current shit about games jeeernalizts (enthusiast press, there are VERY few actual games journalists) and the whole thing about rage for review scores. One argument heard was people don't actually read the whole review. You know why? Because no one wants to fucking read a 4000 word review on some dumb video game (Arthur fucking Gies). This is the internet's fault and most websites lack of good editors. Magazine reviews were never like this. They had limited space. They had to make due. They didn't have the God damn luxury of the internet. Stop jerking off your generally worthless English degree into a God damn video game review and get fucking edited.

This has done a disservice to a lot of writing on the internet in general I think.

I was just listening to podcast talking about the current shit about games jeeernalizts (enthusiast press, there are VERY few actual games journalists) and the whole thing about rage for review scores. One argument heard was people don't actually read the whole review. You know why? Because no one wants to fucking read a 4000 word review on some dumb video game (Arthur fucking Gies). This is the internet's fault and most websites lack of good editors. Magazine reviews were never like this. They had limited space. They had to make due. They didn't have the God damn luxury of the internet. Stop jerking off your generally worthless English degree into a God damn video game review and get fucking edited.

This has done a disservice to a lot of writing on the internet in general I think.
This is definitely part of it. When I was doing them, all my reviews had a 1k work limit. A long review just isn't worth reading like a long news article is.

On the other hand, I'm totally down for watch a 30 minute review but that's because I'm getting more than opinion... I'm getting gameplay and that lets me decide on my own.