Random Video Game Crap

This is definitely part of it. When I was doing them, all my reviews had a 1k work limit. A long review just isn't worth reading like a long news article is.

On the other hand, I'm totally down for watch a 30 minute review but that's because I'm getting more than opinion... I'm getting gameplay and that lets me decide on my own.
I absolutely agree. Watching a game being played tells you a lot more about it than a couple thousands words about it's development cycle or who the people involved in making it are, or even describing an incident involved, or what it's like compared to other games you may or may not have played.

For example, I've never had much interest in GTAV - but seeing the AH crew do all the wacky hijinks they do in the game makes it look actually pretty damn fun.

GasBandit

Staff member
Yeah, it's tough to get movement to look natural in the source engine. At least they were able to avoid the trademark "G-mod flailing limbs" trope.

Hideki Kamiya (one of the Platinum Games founders and lead designer there) is the easily the best Japanese developer on Twitter. He's fucking hilarious to people who ask him stupid questions.

Yeah, it's tough to get movement to look natural in the source engine. At least they were able to avoid the trademark "G-mod flailing limbs" trope.

I've had days at work like that.[DOUBLEPOST=1412295308,1412295237][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hideki Kamiya (one of the Platinum Games founders and lead designer there) is the easily the best Japanese developer on Twitter. He's fucking hilarious to people who ask him stupid questions.

At first I thought that was Hideo Kojima, but then I realized he wasn't trolling his fans and being weird about women so that was impossible.

The summons in FF7 were one of the things I disliked about it. The amount of times I died to Sephiroth because I fell asleep during a summon make me sad.

I don't know about Quadra but one of the W-materia it certainly did work with.
W-Summon worked, but it still cost double.

Really, the whole problem with that strategy was that it took forever to do... and it did absolutely nothing abut the fact that Ruby could instantly kill the guy with Final Attack - Phoenix or your Knights carrier. It was almost better to just have Cloud solo mimic Omnislash.

Yeah I never really bothered with the WEAPON fights because they were just too much bullshit. It seems like every FF has to have one of those complete bullshit fights.

Yeah I never really bothered with the WEAPON fights because they were just too much bullshit. It seems like every FF has to have one of those complete bullshit fights.
I took out Warmech in 1, all three in the DS version of 4, Shenryu in 5, Omega in 8, Ozma in 9, Ultima and the thing from the monster arena in 10, the thing in the desert in 10-2, and Zodiark in 12. The only ones I haven't even tried are the ones in 7 because you basically have to grind in the North Crater for hours, getting AP for your materia to get the ones you need maxed. It's just not fun.

Now is Zodiark an Esper? I was thinking that Yazmait - the fucking thing with 50,000,000 hp - was the bullshit fight in 12.

Yeah, no one but the most ardent of nutballs did Yazmait.
Apparently the fight isn't supposed to be all that *difficult*, just insanely long. The strategy I've seen is to give Ashe and Balthier the best ninja swords you have (since they deal Dark Elemental damage) and the accessory that makes you combo like crazy (genji gloves I think) and have them attack, while you have the remaining party member (Fran or Vaan) heal as necessary.

All weapon fights besides ruby, I would say weren't all that bad. Ruby Weapon, though... man screw that guy. Screw him up his stupid butthole.

Actually, thinking back, Emerald may have been worse... he had the time limit.

All weapon fights besides ruby, I would say weren't all that bad. Ruby Weapon, though... man screw that guy. Screw him up his stupid butthole.

And Knights of the Round was not compatible with time limits.

You could get rid of the time limit though. You just had to morph the ship enemy in the undersea tunnel leading to the mako reactor, take that item to Kalm and give it to the same guy who gives you the rewards for beating Ruby and Emerald. He gives you the Underwater materia, which gets rid of the time limit.

You could get rid of the time limit though. You just had to morph the ship enemy in the undersea tunnel leading to the mako reactor, take that item to Kalm and give it to the same guy who gives you the rewards for beating Ruby and Emerald. He gives you the Underwater materia, which gets rid of the time limit.
Oh, I did used to do that. Totally forgot about it.

figmentPez

Staff member
Ruby was only stupid because it was a crap-shoot if the one guy with an awesome materia combination happened to be the one guy to not get one-shot. If you could get the RNG right, then the rest of the fight was pretty easy with the right over-powered combo of materia.

Steam has changed their prices to Canadian dollars for us Canuckleheads.

And of course, as expected, prices are higher. AAA games now match in-store prices, which is ridiculous. Digital game prices should NOT be the same as in-store.

I get the feeling I'll be buying a LOT less from Steam from here on out.

Steam has changed their prices to Canadian dollars for us Canuckleheads.

And of course, as expected, prices are higher. AAA games now match in-store prices, which is ridiculous. Digital game prices should NOT be the same as in-store.

I get the feeling I'll be buying a LOT less from Steam from here on out.
Or just wait for a sale like everyone else?

When have digital game downloads not been the same price as store versions? At least for new releases.

What planet have you been on Nick, new releases on steam have always been the same price as retail. Digital IS retail now.

That's because you were paying american dollars for games. It's not Steam's fault that your currency is 10% devalued next to the American dollar.

In short... boo hoo, you now have to pay what the rest of us pay. No sympathy here.[DOUBLEPOST=1412734176,1412733818][/DOUBLEPOST]Besides, the way currency is fluctuating in Canada, it might not be long until you're paying way less than us again.

That's because you were paying american dollars for games. It's not Steam's fault that your currency is 10% devalued next to the American dollar.

In short... boo hoo, you now have to pay what the rest of us pay. No sympathy here.[DOUBLEPOST=1412734176,1412733818][/DOUBLEPOST]Besides, the way currency is fluctuating in Canada, it might not be long until you're paying way less than us again.
You could be a little less of a dickhead about it.

And to be honest, I was under the impression that the prices were the same, anyway. So I was wrong there, okay? Happy? So you guys have to pay $54 for, say, Alien: Isolation or Shadow of Mordor?

Last edited:
Yeah and when our dollar matches or exceeds the American dollar, guess what, we still will pay more.

I'm not enthusiastic about the change myself.

Americans can be such dicks about this things, they fucken cry to the fucken moon when it doesn't go their way but let me tell you one thing, Canadians continually get screwed by the American system in far more things than Steam.

Here's a glorious couple of examples :

Standard water filter for fridge in Canada? 1 Case = $88 + tax
Same fucking things but sold in America? 3!!!! Case = $60

Baeba milk bottle warmer in Canada? $150 + tax
Same shit in America? $50

Don't fucken test me on that shit and hearing BOO HOO CANADIANS makes me want to remove you from all further contact.

Don't be a dick.

If a few Canadians feel the change sucks, it's their opinion, don't denigrate them on it because you haven't been privileged to everything in life short of a proper health care.

And I won't even go through the day where our fucken dollar was worth .60 to an American dollar. Can't buy shit with that.

Last edited:
I'm privileged... that's funny.

I'm sorry that I can't control the value of the canadian dollar, it is what it is. You got a great deal for a good while, but you don't anymore. I'd take it up with your government, not with Steam, or jump all down my ass because your dollar is weak. I've been to Canada when your dollar surpassed ours and payed through the nose for stuff when I was up there, so I think the argument that this is a one way street is spurious at best.

Note that the steam prices are NOT inflated, they are the value equated to the American dollar, the place where the publishers are located. They are setting the retail price in US dollars and it's simply converted to Canadian currency.

You could be a little less of a dickhead about it.

And to be honest, I was under the impression that the prices were the same, anyway. So I was wrong there, okay? Happy? So you guys have to pay $54 for, say, Alien: Isolation or Shadow of Mordor?
There is no price difference based on where a developer is based, it's set by the publishers, who are based out of the US.

This argument is just kind of dumb, retail price for a game in Pesos is 99pesos, does that mean that they are paying an inflated price? No, it just means that the peso is extremely weak to the American dollar.

You're paying the same price that you would if you were to take your Canadian money and transferring it to US dollars at a bank and bought it retail here. IE, you're paying the same price we are now.

As for the other examples you give, Jay, I can't speak to the price of other stuff in the market, but in this instance, you are paying the actual retail price of the game.

I do, however, apologize for the dickish tone, but the fact that you think that you should be able to pay less than us for games got my dander up.

I do, however, apologize for the dickish tone, but the fact that you think that you should be able to pay less than us for games got my dander up.
I didn't say ANYTHING about what you American folk pay. I was strictly speaking of ME - JUST ME - seeing the prices raised on me after several years of seeing them set at a certain price. No one likes a price increase, no matter the circumstances.

I didn't say ANYTHING about what you American folk pay. I was strictly speaking of ME - JUST ME - seeing the prices raised on me after several years of seeing them set at a certain price. No one likes a price increase, no matter the circumstances.
The fact remains that you were paying 10% less than I was for games based on the value of your currency. Should we all complain that people in the UK get to pay almost half as much in pounds as we do in dollars because the pound is over 150% the value of the dollar? I wouldn't think so.

figmentPez

Staff member
The fact remains that you were paying 10% less than I was for games based on the value of your currency. Should we all complain that people in the UK get to pay almost half as much in pounds as we do in dollars because the pound is over 150% the value of the dollar? I wouldn't think so.
Actually, Europe generally gets to complain because the Euro price is usually 1 to 1 with the dollar price, no accounting for exchange rate, even though the Euro generally has a higher value than the dollar. (So, most steam purchases in Euros are paying about 26% more for games than Americans are.) And even though the pound price in the UK is scaled some, it usually doesn't match the exchange rate, and they're sometimes paying higher prices as well. (Quick check shows that Costume Quest 2 is about 16% more expensive in pounds, while Shadow of Mordor is about 4% cheaper, and Saints Row IV: Game of the Century is 34% more expensive)

I guess https://www.steamprices.com/ Is going to have to add Canadian price listings.

Actually, Europe generally gets to complain because the Euro price is usually 1 to 1 with the dollar price, no accounting for exchange rate, even though the Euro generally has a higher value than the dollar. (So, most steam purchases in Euros are paying about 26% more for games than Americans are.) And even though the pound price in the UK is scaled some, it usually doesn't match the exchange rate, and they're sometimes paying higher prices as well. (Quick check shows that Costume Quest 2 is about 16% more expensive in pounds, while Shadow of Mordor is about 4% cheaper, and Saints Row IV: Game of the Century is 34% more expensive)

I guess https://www.steamprices.com/ Is going to have to add Canadian price listings.
I can understand that complaint.