Random Video Game Crap

My Steam Replay isn't very useful. Top game: Portal (yes, the first one), 7 games played,....
My gaming time has been spent mostly on games from GOG.com, or through Humble Bundle but not Steam keys, some through GamersGate, Diablo III on Battle.net, Settlers 7 on Uplay, and *shock* games I still own on physical media. Yes, I still play DVD games, shoot me.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm thinking about Fallout's world and lore. I've seen multiple YouTube videos about how modern Fallout games aesthetics kinda fall apart if you look past the surface. Videos that rant about how people don't clean up debris, and there are just skeletons left way too close to human habitation, and all sorts of other inconsistencies that look good in screenshots, but make no sense in what's supposed to be a realistic world.

What I haven't seen are any videos that talk about how Fallout's computers make no damn sense. Even if Moore's Law didn't happen in the Fallout universe, and digital computing power advanced much much slower there, programmers would still have gotten more skilled. Fallout's computer interface shouldn't look like 1970s computer interfaces, it should look like the modern demo scene programming for 8-Bit computers. Also, analog computing is a thing. If you can have self-aware robots, and audio files, then you can more than one color on your screens.

Are there any YouTube videos talking about what Fallout computers should really be like? Are there any fan concepts for what analog computing components would actually look like in use, and how they would handle video elements? There are games you can play on your Pip-Boy, but they use bitmap graphics. Shouldn't they look more like a Vectrex? Or maybe even one of those VHS video game systems? Heck, now that I think about it, Star Wars is closer to what Fallout's computer systems should look like than Fallout is.

Imagine if Fallout's computer systems worked like mechanical arcade games, but with analog video elements instead of physical models. Imagine trying to build a working computer interface when you can store laserdisc video in a random access media, but with 1970s digital processing power. It'd be like trying to turn Dragon's Lair or Time Traveler into a working Windows desktop.

Most people wouldn't get it, and it'd take a lot more effort to make, and all of the effort of a modern Fallout game has to go into making the map as big as possible.

Oh well, time to focus my mind on more productive things.

Shouldn't [a Pip-Boy's interface] look more like a Vectrex/Star Wars(/Tempest/Star Trek/Etc)?
It is extremely unlikely that a Pip-Boy would use a vector-based graphics display, since that is a system designed specifically to take advantage of how a CRT operates, and a wrist-mounted display would be a terrible candidate for a cathode ray tube of any real size, even if were arranged like a Sony Watchman.
(I know it's supposed to LOOK like a CRT, but it's not deep enough to account for the neck of an actual CRT)

--Patrick

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
It is extremely unlikely that a Pip-Boy would use a vector-based graphics display, since that is a system designed specifically to take advantage of how a CRT operates, and a wrist-mounted display would be a terrible candidate for a cathode ray tube of any real size, even if were arranged like a Sony Watchman.
(I know it's supposed to LOOK like a CRT, but it's not deep enough to account for the neck of an actual CRT)

--Patrick
Regardless of the display tech, the computers in Fallout are supposed to be analog computers, since transistors and solid state digital computers were never invented. I'm suggesting that they'd use analog functions to process the graphics, not because that's the ultimate output, but because that's how I assume they'd be processed.

Regardless of the display tech, the computers in Fallout are supposed to be analog computers, since transistors and solid state digital computers were never invented. I'm suggesting that they'd use analog functions to process the graphics, not because that's the ultimate output, but because that's how I assume they'd be processed.
I believe it's actually only a fan theory that transistors weren't invented in the Fallout universe, it's not stated in any official sources.

As for why things look so obsolete in the Fallout universe, the theory I heard (and personally subscribe to) is cultural stagnation. People got comfortable with "good enough" and didn't innovate further, or any innovative inventions were rejected by the market, because most people preferred the version of things they had already. So, for example, color TVs do exist in the Fallout universe, eg. the FO76 intro shows a color TV. But most people still have black-and-white TVs at home.

As for why cultural stagnation occurred, the theory goes that in the Fallout universe, a looming global war was always just over the horizon. Thus, for many people it became comforting to have certainties in their life. Joe Everyman would want to come home and see that his home and TV and computer and levitating robot were exactly the same as how he left it in the morning.

Fallout (at least originally) is a satire on 50's nostalgic americana and thus adopts that retro design for the aesthetic. It's never meant to be taken seriously enough to wonder why the technology is the way it is, it's B-movie sci-fi logic.