Random Video Game Crap

figmentPez

Staff member
Reminder that Hogwarts Legacy contains antisemitic tropes, and it's not subtle about making goblins a Jewish stereotype.

Antisemitism in Hogwarts Legacy _ goblin horn and shofar.png

Here's an article from The Mary Sue about it, The Antisemitism of ‘Harry Potter’ Returns in ‘Hogwarts Legacy’

In the books Goblins are already a Jewish stereotype, being greedy bankers with big noses who secretly influence the world by controlling the money. In the game the Goblins have ties to dark wizards, so the "moral" choices in the game are between siding with dark wizards to help the Goblin Rebellion, or siding with the good guys to make sure the goblins remain second class citizens.

Goblins are also portrayed as kidnapping children, another antisemitic stereotype. I think that in the game they're revealed to have been framed for this, but it's still really abhorrent to intentionally use antisemitic stereotypes for a non-human species who the "good guys" strip of their rights.

It's hard to say if Rowling is actively antisemitic, or if she's just so incredibly lazy in her writing that she re-uses horrible stereotypes because it's easy, and doesn't care that she's perpetuating a damaging history of racism.

I don't feel bad if people feel uneasy playing Hogwarts Legacy.
The question is "how actively should other people try to make someone feel uneasy about playing it? "

I've run across a couple of stories this week of Twitch streamers who claimed to be bullied and harassed because they were streaming the wrong game.

My issue is the hypocrisy. People are fine shaming others who play Hogwarts Legacy, yet oddly quiet about people playing games published/developed by companies like Ubisoft or Activision. And by that I mean I want more accountability for Ubisoft and Activision, instead of people choosing to take a moral stand on one issue while ignoring others.

The question is "how actively should other people try to make someone feel uneasy about playing it? "

I've run across a couple of stories this week of Twitch streamers who claimed to be bullied and harassed because they were streaming the wrong game.
Obviously people shouldn't do that. I'm not going to harass anyone for playing Hogwarts Legacy, same way I don't harass anyone if they choose to eat at Chik-fil-a or patron Hobby Lobby or wear a MAGA hat. But I am going to make certain assumptions about them, and in the case of Hogwarts Legacy that assumption is going to be they just don't really care, and that's fine, they don't have to.

But I do.

Obviously people shouldn't do that. I'm not going to harass anyone for playing Hogwarts Legacy, same way I don't harass anyone if they choose to eat at Chik-fil-a or patron Hobby Lobby or wear a MAGA hat. But I am going to make certain assumptions about them, and in the case of Hogwarts Legacy that assumption is going to be they just don't really care, and that's fine, they don't have to.

But I do.
That's entirely fair. I pretty much agree with you.

That being said, I do get concerned about the mob-like response. It's wrong and plays into the hands of people like Trump and Desantis.

GasBandit

Staff member
What happened to Atomic Heart? It was so hyped up. Did it just fizzled out after release, or what?
Reviews on it, while more positive than not, have been griping about how once you get into it, the gameplay loop isn't actually all that fun. Often mentioned is the statement that the overworld enemies' infinite respawn is extremely irritating. Additionally, it has been embroiled in controversy over its nationalistic Russian themes and its connection to Russian financiers.

Now I like Cybernator a GREAT deal. I bought the SNES game and owned it until recently (gave it to my autistic cousin who collects SNES games) but go fuck yourself trying to sell me a gussied up Cybernator rom for 25 US dollars.

Laziest cash grab I've ever seen and that's basically 99% of the Switch's game library outside of the Nintendo good games.

I thought this had to be an April Fools gag.