Random Video Game Crap

GasBandit

Staff member
Sons of the forest is fun as far as survival horror goes, but it is extremely buggy, just like the first game. It's 50/50 on whether I have to reset my dedicated server just to harvest crops from planters or be able to relight a fire.

Having to reset your server in order to accomplish the simplest of tasks DOES rather sound like survival horror. Kind of like those old "games" where the winning objective was just to get the disk to mount.

--Patrick

Holy shit. Someone made a demake of King's Quest 6, making it look like something more from the AGI era of Sierra, their earliest work.

It's a sight to be hold, honestly. I didn't even know it was being made. Apparently it took him 18 years to complete.

You can download it here.

The creator also made a let's play on his YouTube channel, going through the game and some of his design commentary.

Concord to shut down after 2 weeks released.

I dunno where this thing came from. I'm pretty big on Sony and following their releases and I only found out about it from the launch trailer two months ago. By all accounts it wasn't a bad game just uninspired and even from those launch trailers I knew it'd never survive. I don't think anyone expected a two week release window though.

GasBandit

Staff member
Concord to shut down after 2 weeks released.

I dunno where this thing came from. I'm pretty big on Sony and following their releases and I only found out about it from the launch trailer two months ago. By all accounts it wasn't a bad game just uninspired and even from those launch trailers I knew it'd never survive. I don't think anyone expected a two week release window though.
Two weeks? Jeebus.

Somebody saw the writing on the wall and dove immediately for the "tax writeoff" button.

The chickens are coming home to roost for live service games. The population of people who play games just don't have enough time to commit to more than 1 such game, the ones already playing those games have already decided which one they want to play (it's either Fortnite, Overwatch, Warframe, League of Legends, or an MMO), and all of those investments were wasted. Now we got hundreds of game companies about to go under and it's the fault of investment pressure like it always is.

The population of people who play games just don't have enough time to commit to more than 1 such game, the ones already playing those games have already decided which one they want to play (it's either Fortnite, Overwatch, Warframe, League of Legends, or an MMO), and all of those investments were wasted.
I know I've said this before -- I absolutely do have the time (and desire!) to play multiple games BUT not when each and every one of them has felt the need to add in some kind of "Our game requires that you daily perform some kind of bullshit task that takes an hour or two and therefore completely coincidentally prevents you from playing any other game(s)." Because make no mistake, that is exactly what they are doing--attempting to monopolize my play time and/or spending to the point where the other games I no longer play will shrivel and die due to lack of support as surely as if they were all trees trying to spread their leaves wide/fast enough to choke off the sunlight to the plants smaller than them.

--Patrick

Also, comment I saw on Reddit:

OK so here's the plan:
  1. Start posting about how it's actually a misunderstood gem and how sad you're going to be to see it gone.
  2. Tons of memes and fanart of the characters. Demonstrate that they're beloved, but in a confusing irony-poisoned kind of way.
  3. Create a petition to have to re-released with tens of thousands of signatures.
  4. Sony triumphantly rereleases the game.
  5. Nobody buys it.

As I've grown older, my interest in online games has shrunk, and my interest in single-player games I can play in my own time and at my own pace has only grown.
20 years ago, when I was in my 20's, I had time to spend hours playing games daily, even when working - all I had to do was cook dinner, eat, and then go to bed and be okay with less sleep.

Now I'm in my 40's, married, have pets, and have a teenaged son, all I have time for are single player games that I can pause or end at any point anymore - the pause and or end at any point are the biggest things. Sure, there might be certain things I can't stop immediately (ex - I play 7 Days to Die and if I exit the game during "horde night," it will restart the next time I log in - but that period is usually a fraction of an hour), but the moment I can pause and/or exit, I do.

My teenaged son, however, plays online multiplayer games and it's always "I'm in the middle of a game" and "I can't pause"

Last edited:
This is more of a first world whine, but gaming specific.

Astro Bot recently came out for PS5. I LOVED Astro's Playroom. On the surface, it was a free tech demo showcasing the PS5 and the new controller's features, But it turned out to be an incredibly charming, and mildly challenging collect-a-thon 3D platformer.

Astro Bot is basically that, but as a full game.

And I can't afford to buy it right now. :(

Last edited: