Rant V - The Drama Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cajungal

Staff member
Today was stupid. It was supposed to be a nice, relaxing day with the fella, then heading back to the apartment with plenty of time to get my things in order for class on Tuesday. Instead, I had stupid car trouble, along with other troubles, and spent all afternoon taking care of that. I'm going to go back home in the morning, because he and I decided to go out to dinner. I'm just frustrated. My last visit here before school starts was really tense and chaotic. I'd love to have the chance to do one of those days over, at least. It began pretty perfectly. I wanted it to end just right, too. By now I'm more used to seeing less of Jake and my family than seeing more of them. Still, I'm going to miss being here. I'll still come back a lot, because mom's Mardi Gras ball is approaching, and I have a lot to do to help her. But it's not the same to be uprooted from my "school/work" home only to pack up a day or two later feeling farther away with every damn mile. And it's not even that far away! It shouldn't be that big a deal! And I'm glad that, if I needed to, I could be back home very easily. I'm just so ready for this part to be over. I'm ready for my REAL job. I'm ready to leave this thing that feels like second adolescence behind. ARGH. Good thing they keep me busy.

*shakes it off* That's better. Really, the semester's going to be great. Three more and I'm outta here, and I never have to think about Baton Rouge again.

C

Chazwozel

My fucking dog ate my sandwich today. There I am, sitting in my underwear on my day off, eating a delicious Lebanon Bologna sandwich on a kaiser roll; minding my own business. I reach over for the remote control to switch on some good ol' Die Hard and the damn dog takes a chomp while I let my guard down. Little fucker bite on my finger too. I jump up in surprise and drop the sandwich. He wolfs it up and makes a mad dash for the kitchen. I chase the bastard to the kitchen and corner him. As soon as I lunge, he makes a break for it and darts between my legs and up the stairs. He's currently hiding under the bed in the far corner where he knows I can't reach him. Little fucker.

I remember when I first got my dog. My mom made burgers so I decided to stop over and join them. We were eating in the living room, and in comes my dog from the kitchen carrying a burger. He lays down in front of us and starts eating it with us. We were all laughing so hard no one tried to stop him. I've never seen a dog do that before.

Dave

Staff member
My fucking dog ate my sandwich today. There I am, sitting in my underwear on my day off, eating a delicious Lebanon Bologna sandwich on a kaiser roll; minding my own business. I reach over for the remote control to switch on some good ol' Die Hard and the damn dog takes a chomp while I let my guard down. Little fucker bite on my finger too. I jump up in surprise and drop the sandwich. He wolfs it up and makes a mad dash for the kitchen. I chase the bastard to the kitchen and corner him. As soon as I lunge, he makes a break for it and darts between my legs and up the stairs. He's currently hiding under the bed in the far corner where he knows I can't reach him. Little fucker.
This just in, dumb animal beats PhD. Film at 11.

Man stupid fridge!

Me and my brother noticed our fridge was feeling a little warm but at first we thought it was in our heads. So fast forward to the next day it was definitely warmer so we tried turning it to the coldest temp. Than we stuck a thermometer in the fridge to check the temp. After about an hour we checked the temp and even at the coldest setting the fridge was at 60 degrees! Luckily we didn't lose to much food. We lost about a months worth of sandwich materials and some milk, butter, and a few other things. While we are checking that out we decided to check the freezer and it felt cold but we noticed the ice dispenser was dripping water and a few bags of veggies felt like they were starting to thaw. Luckily my parents offered to let us put our freezer food at their house. So we had to grab all of our food out of our freezer and take it their house. After that we call our Landlord and he says he will have someone out there the Monday. Luckily my brother had the day off so he could stay and wait for the repairman. I know we could have lost a lot more food than just what we did but still talk about a headache.

That reminds me of something my cat did just the other day. I was sitting down and playign some games and I hear a noise and I turn my head and my cat is on top of the fridge with a loaf of bread in his mouth. When he saw me he jumped off the top of the fridge and tried making a dash for it with the loaf of bread still in his mouth. Luckily I managed to grab it from him. I than proceeded to put the bread in the cupboard. A few minutes later I hear a noise and I look over and sure enough my cat is on the fridge again looking for the bread again!

Dave

Staff member
Man stupid fridge!

Me and my brother noticed our fridge was feeling a little warm but at first we thought it was in our heads. So fast forward next day it is definitely warmer so we try turning it to the coldest temp. We than stuck a thermometer in the fridge to check the temp and came back. And even at the coldest setting the fridge was at 60 degrees! Luckily we didn't lose to much food. We lost about a months worth of sandwich materials and some milk, butter, and a few other things. While we are checking that out we decided to check the freezer and it felt cold but we noticed the ice dispenser was dripping water and a few bags of veggies felt like they were starting to thaw. Luckily my parents offered to let us put our freezer food at their house. So we had to grab all of our food out of our freezer and take it their house. After that we call our Landlord and he says he will have someone out there the Monday. Luckily my brother had the day off so he could stay and wait for the repairman. I know we could have lost a lot more food than just what we did but still talk about a headache.
You were very, very lucky. Last year my wife & I went grocery shopping. The next day there was a bad storm that knocked our electricity out for almost a week. We lost everything perishable. We did cook a lot of it up but you can only eat so much.

fade

Staff member
I don't think I've ever kept butter out of the fridge or known anyone who has! Well except old folks with those butter bell things.

How do you spread the cold hard butter? My bread gets all torn up when I try that.
You don't, hence why keeping it in the fridge is ridiculous.

And doesn't ketchup say on the bottle, "Refrigerate after opening"?[/QUOTE]

I thought maybe they had some special electric butter knife that heated the butter to a spreadable temp.

Growing up, my parents always had one stick of butter in a bowl meant for toast or whatnot, then kept the rest in the fridge to use for cooking.

Butter's a dairy product, it needs to be refrigerated.
If it's "hard", your fridge is probably set too high (low temp).

Though I have noticed that US butter is quite different than any other butter 'Ive encountered.
Man, butter left out in my house will harden overnight when my furnace isn't going full bore to keep the murderous cold at bay and my house only get's down to maybe 10 or so C overnight (the temperature I love to sleep at).
I don't know what magic fridge soft butter you Europeans have, but that shit does not exist here, and I live in cow country (ain't no beef like Alberta beef). Unless your butter is mixed with vegetable oil or something, 100% butter is not going to stay soft in a fridge.

fade

Staff member
I've just taken a turn around the internet. There's really not much out there. I get the impression, though, that most people keep butter in the refrigerator. There's a niche of people who keep it out, but the few credible sites I saw did say that there's a much greater risk of spoilage. It will go bad a lot faster than it will in the refrigerator, apparently. But science aside, the idea of keeping something dairy out (not in Canada) strikes me as a recipe for the runs. Or worse.

AME, from what I read, that seems true--European butter is more processed than US butter. More water is removed.

It's definitely not going to last as long, but I've never been sick from it. Living by myself I only put out half a stick, the rest stays in the fridge. Between sandwiches and toast I can use it up pretty quick.

Cajungal

Staff member
I love butter bells. I really want one. Charlie brought up pretty much what I do if I ever need to use butter--take it out a little ahead of time and then return it to the fridge. Or else you could get that whipped Land O Lakes in the tub. It stays soft.

Interesting fact: The Newfoundland Butter Company, when it still existed, never did produce a single pound of butter. It was all margarine, made from seal and whale oil.

Despite it being cheaper, margarine was illegal in Canada at that time. This led to some enterprising Maratime Canadians/Newfoundlanders to smuggle margarine into Canada from Newfoundland (which was it's own dominion at the time), and sell it as butter, which made them a neat profit.

I feel like this would make a fantastic Heritage Minute.

Also, margarine does not go hard in the fridge, if anyone was wondering.

Cajungal

Staff member
Hang on, I'll bring it back around.

GRRR, SALTED BUTTER MAKES ME SO ANGRY! IT'S SO BAD COMPARED TO UNSALTED BUTTER! RAWR!

Dave

Staff member
So coming back from lunch I slipped on the ice. My jaw hit the ground and my teeth went *CLACK*!! I checked and all my parts were intact.

I get back to my desk and take a bite of a cookie that had slowly hardened over the course of the day and one of my teeth broke off.

It's times like these I wish I had insurance. :eek:hwell:

R

rabbitgod

Hang on, I'll bring it back around.

GRRR, SALTED BUTTER MAKES ME SO ANGRY! IT'S SO BAD COMPARED TO UNSALTED BUTTER! RAWR!
Yeah salted butter is the craziest thing.

It reminds me of this one day my brother called me up. He starts telling me about how much the dinner he made the prior night sucked and how he couldn't even describe what was wrong with it so he could not do that the next time. I asked him if he used Salted or Unsalted butter and after a brief pause he asks, "Why would you salt butter?" He didn't realize that it was even a thing people did so he never thought to read the package.

M

makare

I had never heard of unsalted butter until I started watching Good Eats. After that I thought I would try it, I hated it. I think it might still be somewhere in my fridge from two years ago. Blech.

We have always left our butter out on the counter in a butter dish and it has never ever gone bad. Butter is cheap? Woah. Here is it usually like 4 dollars a box that was one of the reasons I was really pissed at the unsalted butter, because it was a waste of money.

M

makare

really!? wtf!? Seriously we buy it in bulk sometimes when it gets down to 2 dollars a box. Man.....

what kind of butter do you get? We like land o lakes.

So coming back from lunch I slipped on the ice. My jaw hit the ground and my teeth went *CLACK*!! I checked and all my parts were intact.

I get back to my desk and take a bite of a cookie that had slowly hardened over the course of the day and one of my teeth broke off.

:focus:

This thread is about butter now. You can't just come in and try to get it changed.

j/k :)

But joking aside I am sorry to hear that. :(

North_Ranger

Staff member
Y'know, I don't really eat butter in any form. When I make sammiches, they are usually of the warm variety. Hence, no need for butter.

M

makare

Aw poor Dave. :( Which tooth was it and how badly is it broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.