Rant V - The Drama Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've known a couple of guys from Ireland..and one of them has been known to say "There's nobody more Irish than someone who's part Irish," which I think is hilarious and witty and wise.

So, I have this person I know, who's part Irish (maybe). OMG, she's so "irish this" and "irish that" and everything she says she tries so hard to tie into her 'heritage' in some way or another.

Recently, she's been going off about this awesome band, Celtic Thunder.

Now, I play Irish music, so i thought "ok, she's a loon, but I'll go give them a listen."

huh???
So I go to their website
http://www.celticthunder.ie/itsentertainment/index.html

What the hell does that music have to do with "Celtic" anything???
It's just some bad singers doing bad covers of other people's music. WTF?

W

Wasabi Poptart

Tin, that reminds me of Celtic Woman. I'd assume Celtic Thunder was put together by the same guy, who was also involved in the making of "Riverdance".

Started consulting for the university in October. Between getting all the contract red tape sorted, invoicing, and the massive lag time the university procurement department is allowed (I'm apparently considered a business), I still haven't been paid a dime. Savings are beaten to a pulp, especially after Christmas. Hoping the checks start rolling next week. Fuckers.

At least the guy I'm working for is awesome and tends to be good for free lunches and coffee. And the work might actually save lives in the near future, which is okay. I guess.
Oh man, I know your pain. I think I submitted my first invoice in spring and got my first check in fall, it was so bad dealing with the university procurement office.

You'd think that now I'm in their system it would be easier the second time, but no - same thing all over again. Submit the invoice, wait a month, contact them, "Oh, we need more info..." bla blah bla, then a few months later get everything straightened out and finally get the check.

It's a racket.

Started consulting for the university in October. Between getting all the contract red tape sorted, invoicing, and the massive lag time the university procurement department is allowed (I'm apparently considered a business), I still haven't been paid a dime. Savings are beaten to a pulp, especially after Christmas. Hoping the checks start rolling next week. Fuckers.

At least the guy I'm working for is awesome and tends to be good for free lunches and coffee. And the work might actually save lives in the near future, which is okay. I guess.
Oh man, I know your pain. I think I submitted my first invoice in spring and got my first check in fall, it was so bad dealing with the university procurement office.

You'd think that now I'm in their system it would be easier the second time, but no - same thing all over again. Submit the invoice, wait a month, contact them, "Oh, we need more info..." bla blah bla, then a few months later get everything straightened out and finally get the check.

It's a racket.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is, they hope that the "bigger" companies that they deal with will not notice that they haven't paid their invoice yet and roll it off the books by assuming that they just didn't log it right. Crooks the whole lot of them.

It's a racket.[/QUOTE]

Yes it is, they hope that the "bigger" companies that they deal with will not notice that they haven't paid their invoice yet and roll it off the books by assuming that they just didn't log it right. Crooks the whole lot of them.[/QUOTE]

I had a professor who complained about all the bureaucracy a lot. She was pretty senior in the university, and a brazen one at that. She said phone calls never get returned, and emails are slower than the postal system ever was. Any time she needed to communicate with someone, she would walk to the person's desk to do it, even if it was across campus. She couldn't do it all the time, and she couldn't follow her paperwork around the university, but damn the woman tried.

Z

Zumbo Prime

Micro-rant: this is the first night I've had a chance to play any games in a week.

It's a racket.[/QUOTE]
Woo hoo! I got a check yesterday! I assume they'll keep rolling in roughly along the timeline I've submitted my invoices. I've never dealt with an organization that is as brazenly uncaring as a university procurement office. They honestly don't give a damn, and apparently have no reason to.

But seriously, what kind of boss shows up and says "Morning. I brought you a coffee."? That shit ain't right.

fade

Staff member
We get it, too. I'm sure you know from being a grad student, but the admin side is like this far away amorphous beast we deal with as little as possible. We leave them alone and vice versa for the most part. The problem comes when we need money. We go do all the work for a grant, and then they "manage" it for us. I suppose the point was accountability, but it makes life a pain, when you have to jump through hoops to get some of YOUR money to use for exactly what you said in the proposal and the financial docs that you were going to use it for.

We get it, too. I'm sure you know from being a grad student, but the admin side is like this far away amorphous beast we deal with as little as possible. We leave them alone and vice versa for the most part. The problem comes when we need money. We go do all the work for a grant, and then they "manage" it for us. I suppose the point was accountability, but it makes life a pain, when you have to jump through hoops to get some of YOUR money to use for exactly what you said in the proposal and the financial docs that you were going to use it for.
I wonder how much more grant money the NIH and NSF could give out if universities didn't demand 50% overhead on top of the award.

My Staff Sergeant yesterday let all of us know in the most passively aggressive email I've ever received that he expects us all to be putting in more VOT ("VOLUNTARY" Over Time) than we already are (around 10 hours a week seems to be the average around the detachment) because "we" haven't been doing our jobs. The RCMP is a fantastic organization. You don't fail here and get reprimanded or demoted or fired, nooooo, you fail and you get promoted somewhere else so your boss no longer has to deal with you. Our Staff Sergeant is this epitomized. He's a fat, out of touch, slightly insane but incredibly good at taking credit for the work he makes us do or for the ideas we have to improve community relations (which as of now is at an all time low which I'm about to tangent into a completely different story) sneaky piece of shit.

So, the reason for the current incredibly terrible community relations is that every year the local Indian bands (known as the North Peace Tribal Council collectively) have this jamboree sort of thing called band days where everyone from as far as a days drive all converge on our neighboring community of Chateh/Assumption. This usually requires some additional assistance in Assumption from us. It gets rowdy (lots of drinking) but it's not usually a huge deal. Well, that is until our Staff Sergeant decided that he was going to "volunteer" (likely making 2.5 OT doing it) some of his time to help out. We had a call of some vandalism and he responded to it. When he showed up, the man ran (of course), so instead of giving chase (which he's incapable of, being a human ball) he proceeded to put the man through a fence using his truck as the battering ram. Yeah, LeQuack would be all over this if anyone in Canada gave a fuck about what happens to the native populace. The man wasn't terribly hurt but it was a pretty major incident locally and pretty much ruined everything the sergeant there had worked to accomplish (that sergeant on the other hand is one of the finest cops I've ever met and the man I wish every day would be my boss...he also appeared on the Rick Mercer report when Rick Mercer went to depot, but that only means something to Canadians).

The worst part of it is, he managed to place the blame solely on the new constable he had in his passenger seat. His report to the Inspector on the situation blamed him for the entire situation. I'm pretty sure Assumption's sergeant tried to fix that but our staff sergeant is the one in command of the whole region. You can't put anything through to brass without him seeing it first.

SO FUCKING LAME.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Grrrhhh... Decided to take a nap today after the grueling 4-hour exam. It was 5pm, 5.30pm, and I thought about taking a quick one-hour nap because I'd slept poorly the night before.

It's now 11.05pm... and I woke up like three minutes ago -.- Goddamn my ability to punch out the clock without waking up.

Might as well continue sleeping, get up early in the morning and get my Thesis in order.

NR, I solved that problem by moving my alarm clock to te other side of my bedroom. I literally have to get out of bed in order to shut it off.

If I then decide to walk back to my bed, well, at least that's a conscious decision.

C

Chazwozel

I just now received a month's worth of unemployment checks after having an actual job for about 2 weeks. And they 'forgot' to add in a week.

fade

Staff member
Plus it looks like it has Satan in it, which means you're evil. QED.

Also, farkenschnuudeleri sounds like a baked good.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Plus it looks like it has Satan in it, which means you're evil. QED.

Also, farkenschnuudeleri sounds like a baked good.
Oh come, now you are just honkappa to luuversvitsis. Do you korvolruts your mother with that namsinruubel?

Bloody ronko.

C

Chazwozel

I just now received a month's worth of unemployment checks after having an actual job for about 2 weeks. And they 'forgot' to add in a week.
You're a goddamned parasitic blight on our nation!

/GasBandit[/QUOTE]

I could totally see why someone wouldn't bother getting a job while on unemployment. It was a weird feeling. "I'm getting paid, yet I do nothing all day. Awesome!'

Status
Not open for further replies.