Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game! (Thread allowed 30 pages)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I managed to "scotch tape" my headset so that my mic works "sometimes" while I wait for my new headset to come in.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Hoo-ray! Now we can listen to you serenade us with your soft baritones like in the good ol' days.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

It was a fabulous game! It just keeps getting better and better everytime, Shawn. A little thing I loved was the tapestry and how you added it in after we stole them from the first session. It goes to show how progressively you're thinking and that you build upon what we do as characters. Wonderfully done. Oh, and Jay, here's non-glowy hair for you. :p

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Egh. I've been going through the various options I'll get as I level up further and am consistantly unimpressed by Sorcerer powers. If only we didn't already have a wizard. :eek:rly:

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I'm consistently unimpressed by Lance of Faith. :p

Sometimes it's not just all about the consistently awesomeness that our character may perform but to simply take the highs and the lows and enjoy the session and progression of our storyline. Regardless, I'm sure that magical gem may help out a little. Thus why I passed!

You can always multiclass!

-- Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:47 am --

Oh and those pictures are much nicer. Love the morning star. :falldown:

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

AGH. ALL I WANT IS AN AT-WILL BURST. The only one I have access to is a 1d4 which is--- Painfully shit!

Can we house-rule a spell?? @_@ I could make an equivalent of Scorching Burst but we can change the element! Icy Shards! The patch of land explodes up with icey spikes!

*flails* Once I've used Whirlwind, all I have is Chaos Bolt (which is nice, but is really boring unless I roll an even number, hit, and then HIT the second time) and Burning Spray, which is a close blast. I try to stay away from enemies, so Burning Spray rarely ever comes up.

I just find that once I'm reduced to using Chaos Bolt, the fight gets fairly boring for me. Shooting a single attack that misses gets old. (Er... Sorry Saryon. XD)

I know I'm just bitching, but bleh.

Also, the Power Gem is a Daily, and I have to reach a milestone (so two encounters) before I can even use it. So all this really means is that once a day, I can use Whirlwind twice on the third or fourth encounter of the day. (And we rarely go past 4 encounters a day.)

S

Singularity.EXE

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Hey sorry for bumbling into your guys' game last night. I was seeing if everything worked (Vent, the gametable etc) for Dave's game on Sunday, didn't realize it was occupado. >.>

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Doom: Here's my houserule solution:

WILD BURST
1 burst, range 10
(sorcerer caster stat) vs. Reflex

Effect: 1d6 + (stat) damage of the same type as your daily resistance.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gusto said:
Doom: Here's my houserule solution:

WILD BURST
1 burst, range 10
(sorcerer caster stat) vs. Reflex

Effect: 1d6 + (stat) damage of the same type as your daily resistance.
... Huh. I like it.

Well, if Shawn would let me, I'd love to replace one of my At-Wills with it..

Of course, provided you guys don't feel it's unbalancing etc.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

So the idea here is to make sure that everyone enjoys their classes without trying to houserule things too much. While I think the Wild Magic Houseruled area effect spell is a nifty idea, my concern is that there are rule-legal ways to accomplish this already.
One would be to take the Wizard multiclass feat that allows you to choose a Wizard at-will ability and use it once per encounter.
The other option is to choose wizard as one half of a Hybrid Character. So if you went Sorcerer/Wizard you would choose an at-will power from each.

The obvious difference between wizards and sorcerers are their roles. Wizards are controllers and Sorcerers are strikers. Wizards are more concerned about doing less amount of damage to larger groups of individuals which usually makes them the best option for clearing up minions. Sorcerers are more suited for picking a single target and doing nasty amounts of damage to it. But even then you also have access to Burning Spray which affects the same area as Scorching Burst, does more damage, but requires you to get within melee range of your enemies.

Looking into the next few levels of Sorcerer (just PHB2) I see a bunch of useful and fun spells. I like Spectral Claw for example. Especially the slide you can do on even rolls. Remember how the kid in the cave was making use of slide? You could grab an enemy and plop him right between Grendmir and Kratash for a dragonborn gang-rape. Or, use terrain to your advantage and toss him off a cliff or slide him into some lava etc. And even if you don't get the even roll, you still immobilize the target which is basically a slap in the face to any melee based enemy.

The 5th level daily Reeling Torment also looks like a lot of fun for similar reasons. I also like the look of Thunder Leap. I mean common. It's like "Oh my gawd? You asshats have me surrounded? Well @#$% that!" then you blast off into the air, landing several squares away, and possibly do some nasty damage to all the jerks who were trying to mess you up.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

If he really wanted to reroll a Wizsorc Hybrid, I wouldn't be against it as long as it doesn't become a habit. It's not such a huge departure from where he is now anyway. Make it like Serin picked up some ideas from Errik or something.

Side-note: Concerning some stuff from last night, and not getting into details, I propose that when one player wants their character to talk/yell/shove/trip/throw a pie at another player's character, we identify it as such.

Ex: Rather than say "Get out of my way! and I shove you." Instead say "Grendmir says to Saryon Get out of my way! and shoves him." This way there's clear distinction, and people know you're doing it as role-playing the character, not against another player, or meta-gaming, or telling someone else how to play, or anything of any difficulty. All conflict stays between the imaginary beings. It also allows us to be crueler to each other if need be without feelings getting hurt of the "Oh, how could you kill Black Leak?!" variety.

:)

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Incidentally, I got my "Get Out Of Gang Rape Free" cards when I hit level 2.

Between Second Chance, Expeditious Retreat, and Shield, I think it'll be pretty hard to get me into a tough situation. I even have some resistance to my own fire AOEs if the situation calls for it.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Hmm, I'll look into some things. I'm really not trying to be a pain, here. It's mostly that I didn't know what to expect from this game when we were starting (as Dave's game was all I had to go on, and he's using a pre-prepared adventure) and I was already a wizard in his game, so I went with Sorcerer. Now, this game has quickly become my favorite and the one I most look forward to. ^_^; (Sorry Dave!)

So I'm really just trying to see if I can find a way to enjoy my character more. I honestly don't mean to complain about it so much.

I think the reason I want AoEs more is because as we know, our rolls are terrible. Whether it's GameTable, chance, or whatever, we miss 50% of the time (which I guess is average). But when you attack only one enemy? Well, that's a wasted turn. A wasted action point. Etc. a 3x3 gives me up to 9 chances to hit someone. :rofl:

Bah, I'll look at some more stuff. It's just that any new powers come "later" and later equals several weeks.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

doomdragon6 said:
Now, this game has quickly become my favorite and the one I most look forward to. ^_^; (Sorry Dave!)
:angry:

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gruebeard said:
doomdragon6 said:
Now, this game has quickly become my favorite and the one I most look forward to. ^_^; (Sorry Dave!)
:angry:
Oh, um... Well, we've only had two sessions, Grubey! We haven't had a chance to--

Grueby!

I didn't mean it!

Come back!

:waah:

K

Kitty Sinatra

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Too late, Buddy. Because of you, there will be no game for the next 2 weeks. :humph:

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Hahaha. :p

Looked into Hybrid Sorcerer/Wizard, and they just wouldn't work together. Their key abilities are at odds with each other and I'd just end up a shallow, weak class that can't do anything.

Looking into Multiclassing right now..

Current thoughts: Multiclassing wizards wastes the Arcana training it offers (as opposed to training in something I don't have), and while I could take a wizard at-will as an encounter, it uses Int as its attack mod, so it would never hit, and then do barely any damage, and I [strike:3jw9l2t0]can't even add my +3 Dex mod[/strike:3jw9l2t0] yes I can.

Blahhh.. *consider consider*

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Hmm. I think the to-hit factor can be easily solved. For one you don't have a magic implement yet. Once you do you'll have at least a +1 to your attack rolls. There are also feats that can help as well. I think you could lose both your current feats and take the following instead.

Distant Advantage: Requires your target to be flanked by your allies. If you don't have an opportunity on your turn you can ready your action to launch your ranged attack the moment it becomes flanked. This will give you combat advantage (+2 to attack) against it.

Implement Expertise (Light Blade): This feat gives you a +1 to attack rolls whenever you use a light blade (Dagger) for any spell that uses the Implement keyword. The dagger doesn't even have to be magical.

Given your current rolls, that would give you a +8 to attack rolls during the best of situations.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Well, daggers are my implements. So if I got a +1 dagger, I'd get a +1 to atk/dmg.

I completely missed the implement expertise stuff.. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the help, Shawn.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Well, looking into it, I can take Wizard Multiclass and take Scorching Burst, but it will use my Int mod instead of Charisma, and my dagger implement doesn't count for it, so I don't get any bonuses there. I can add my Dex mod to the damage though.

So it breaks down to Intelligence vs Reflex (d20 + 2 + 1) [2 Int, 1 Half Lvl] with a damage of (1d6 + 2 + 3) [2 Int, 3 Dex], which is fine. It's better than nothing.

Actually, let me look at something..

Blazing Starfall would be a (d20 + 4 + 1 + 1) [Char, Imp. Exp., Half Lvl], and would do (1d4 + 4 + 3) [4 Char, 3 Dex].

So max damage on Scorching Burst would be 11, whereas max damage on Blazing Starfall would be... Also 11. With a higher chance to hit. And, if I get Weapon Focus as a feat, it'd take the damage up to 12 (along with +1 to all other spells).

So I may just take Blazing Starfall after all. That 1d4 was just throwing me off a lot. I guess it's not so different from the Scorching Burst.

I'm going to keep playing with some stuff.

If I eventually figure out something, would it be okay to replace my feats / an at-will, or is that asking too much? I guess otherwise it'd take a few levels, but I don't want to be getting special privileges just cuz I'm a complainer.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

escushion said:
Side-note: Concerning some stuff from last night, and not getting into details, I propose that when one player wants their character to talk/yell/shove/trip/throw a pie at another player's character, we identify it as such.

Ex: Rather than say "Get out of my way! and I shove you." Instead say "Grendmir says to Saryon Get out of my way! and shoves him." This way there's clear distinction, and people know you're doing it as role-playing the character, not against another player, or meta-gaming, or telling someone else how to play, or anything of any difficulty. All conflict stays between the imaginary beings. It also allows us to be crueler to each other if need be without feelings getting hurt of the "Oh, how could you kill Black Leak?!" variety.

:)
I'm for this.

We need more RP, this is the part where things are most fun. "I help Erikk, he's my buddy" "Erikk, here's your chance!" /inspiration and stuff. I love it.

Just one note though, let people finish what they are doing. No need to rush actions all the time. Good things happens when you're a bit more patient... aka : Ilmater Cleric losing patience, dragging a bound demon by the lags and kicking said demon in the ass into a cockatrice cage.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

SeriousJay said:
Just one note though, let people finish what they are doing. No need to rush actions all the time. Good things happens when you're a bit more patient... aka : Ilmater Cleric losing patience, dragging a bound demon by the lags and kicking said demon in the a** into a cockatrice cage.
What demon? That was a 10-year old boy. :D

doomdragon6 said:
If I eventually figure out something, would it be okay to replace my feats / an at-will, or is that asking too much? I guess otherwise it'd take a few levels, but I don't want to be getting special privileges just cuz I'm a complainer.
If you have to replace both your feats and an at-will to get what you want then that's fine by me. But this will be the only time you can do it outside of leveling.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Heh, that was pretty badass.

Also, I have a very important question that will help finalize my decision!

My Chaos Power (the +3 Dex to Damage) says that you add the +3 to damage rolls.

This led me to believe that you only added it to an xdx situation.

However, while looking as Wizard At-Wills to potentially take, one of the powers says:

Hit: Intelligence Modifier (+2) Damage.

I took this to mean that I do 2 damage and nothing else. However, the card that comes with it says that the damage would be 2 + 3. (The 3 being the Chaos Power.)

So does this mean that anytime I do damage, I add the +3?

I ask because I'd considered taking the Arcing Fire power, which does the usual 1d8 + 4 + 3.

But, any enemy between me and the target takes Charisma modifier (+4) damage. Would I add the +3 in this instance?

Furthermore, I've been adding the +3 to Chaos Bolt's Secondary Attack, which is a 1d6 roll.

Shawn, what's your take?

Edit: Also, if I were to take Destructive Wizardry (+2 Damage when you hit 2 or more creatures), would that include the enemies hit by the Arcing Fire between me and the target? That being, would I do +2 to those enemies, and/or would I do +2 to the enemy I targeted, or would it not apply at all?

Sorry for all the questions. And in response to the feat/at-will change: Thank You! You are truly a gracious DM, capable of putting up with people like me. If any of the others have a problem with it, I'll back down and leave things as they are.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

doomdragon6 said:
Heh, that was pretty badass.

Also, I have a very important question that will help finalize my decision!

My Chaos Power (the +3 Dex to Damage) says that you add the +3 to damage rolls.

This led me to believe that you only added it to an xdx situation.

However, while looking as Wizard At-Wills to potentially take, one of the powers says:

Hit: Intelligence Modifier (+2) Damage.

I took this to mean that I do 2 damage and nothing else. However, the card that comes with it says that the damage would be 2 + 3. (The 3 being the Chaos Power.)

So does this mean that anytime I do damage, I add the +3?

I ask because I'd considered taking the Arcing Fire power, which does the usual 1d8 + 4 + 3.

But, any enemy between me and the target takes Charisma modifier (+4) damage. Would I add the +3 in this instance?

Furthermore, I've been adding the +3 to Chaos Bolt's Secondary Attack, which is a 1d6 roll.

Shawn, what's your take?

Edit: Also, if I were to take Destructive Wizardry (+2 Damage when you hit 2 or more creatures), would that include the enemies hit by the Arcing Fire between me and the target? That being, would I do +2 to those enemies, and/or would I do +2 to the enemy I targeted, or would it not apply at all?

Sorry for all the questions. And in response to the feat/at-will change: Thank You! You are truly a gracious DM, capable of putting up with people like me. If any of the others have a problem with it, I'll back down and leave things as they are.
Yes your Chaos Power damage bonus applies to ANY arcane power you cast. This includes spells that only do damage equal to a skill modifier, as well as your Chaos Bolt secondary attacks.

Taking Destructive Wizardry would require you to take the Wizard Multiclass feat, just so you are aware. But if you did, then yes, if you hit two enemies with a single use of Arcing Fire you will cause each enemy +2 additional damage. This also applies to any secondary attacks you get from Chaos Bolt (in other words, if you hit a target with a secondary bolt you will do Destructive Wizardry damage to it, the primary target, and any target you hit after that.

Now where's that summary? :toocool:

Status
Not open for further replies.