Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game! (Thread allowed 30 pages)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

doomdragon6 said:
Don't get too attached, Adia. Show too much love and Shawn'll probably kill it. :tongue:
Shawnacy hasn't been that kind of DM. I had never really played before and heard all these stories of tyrannical DMs who act as the players' nemesis. Shawnacy hasn't been that way at all, even when putting the enemies on us 2 to 1.

So says the Company of Discord.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Fabio's gonna get hit in the face by a dire bird and require a reconstructive Lay on Hands.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

enemies 2 to one is how D&D is. =P

I would even suggest giving us more enemies.

For more exp, of course. :unibrow:

Bah. Like 6 more sessions til level 3!

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

doomdragon6 said:
enemies 2 to one is how D&D is. =P

I would even suggest giving us more enemies.

For more exp, of course. :unibrow:

Bah. Like 6 more sessions til level 3!
Basically it's averaged out to about 10 encounters per level . Though I've been pretty generous with quest exp so it's more like 6-8 encounters.
I probably should up the challenges a little bit. You guys are cutting through enemies pretty quickly. It's not easy finding that perfect balance of challenge vs out-right TPK. Grawl was supposed to be a pretty tough challenge, but I can see how it could have gone either way had he gotten lucky with some strikes.

And as for Fabio, just don't trek him through the swamp of sadness.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Shawnacy said:
And as for Fabio, just don't trek him through the swamp of sadness.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

As a ranged caster, I rarely get hit so most encounters are "easy" for me. Spellcasters are always the worst opponents to me, with all their status effects and area effects.

Either way, you're doing a great job! I'm actually very unhappy by the fact that I must wait until Thursday again. :D

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Shawnacy said:
Basically it's averaged out to about 10 encounters per level . Though I've been pretty generous with quest exp so it's more like 6-8 encounters.
I probably should up the challenges a little bit. You guys are cutting through enemies pretty quickly. It's not easy finding that perfect balance of challenge vs out-right TPK. Grawl was supposed to be a pretty tough challenge, but I can see how it could have gone either way had he gotten lucky with some strikes.
Personally, I love the slow progress. We can get comfy with our characters and take out time for a long term game. I'd be alright with less XP for quest completion myself. You know what would be awesome though? Players get XP reward for the exceptional in-character actions.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

SeriousJay said:
I'd be alright with less XP for quest completion myself.
*stab* *stab* *stab*

*scampers off*

-------------

Thing is though, how long will we be able to continue our game? Down the line, one or more of us are bound to have some kind of obligations that prevent us from continuing our game-- or at least that person. So to me, fast progress is a good thing.

At least, moderately quick. My ideal speed would be a level every 3 sessions. I need new options to keep me interested, or I start getting bored. Hell, I initially complained about how limited wizards seemed, when they are the most power-versatile class in the game. :rofl:

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I just turned 31, so I gather I still got 40-50 more years to play. What about you?

One night a week isn't that hard of a commitment. :)

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Yeah, currently I can't see circumstances barring me. I know Shawnacy said there will be nights after summer that he'll have to not DM us because of school, but I can't see anything coming that's going to bar my Thursdays eternally. In fact, Thursday evening is a good time. Fridays are never too crucial at work compared to Mondays (although I am gonna leave 11:30 at the latest this session, cause I do need to get up early). If it were the weekend, I could never promise to be there because so much stuff happens on the weekend. It's no wonder Dave's game has cycled through three people already.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

SeriousJay said:
Personally, I love the slow progress. We can get comfy with our characters and take out time for a long term game. I'd be alright with less XP for quest completion myself. You know what would be awesome though? Players get XP reward for the exceptional in-character actions.
I agree on all counts, Jay. :uhhuh:

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Wow. Does Faline really think I'm going to take out my lack of zombie killing aggressions out on her horse?
(For those not there, she guilted Esc into leaving a game of L4D early causing Jay, a friend, and myself to give up playing since you can't beat an Expert campaign with only 3 players). Pfft. I have no plans to kill Fabio. But at the same time I won't promise to NEVER kill Fabio as a result of things the players do in the game.

Expect a lot of horse killing jokes though.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gurpel,
Can you send me an updated character builder file of your character?
Also anyone who has made some massive changes to their's as well.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I uploaded my latest version of my character spreadsheet as requested.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Hah. Nice. :thumbsup:

Quick question: I know it's really early for this, but when Serin gains the Wild Shape ability, she can change into any medium natural or fey creature. It says that stats don't change and whatnot, but RP/travel-wise, would she be able to change into some kind of bird and fly somewhere, or if she changed into a creature that can climb well, would she be able to climb better?

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

doomdragon6 said:

Quick question: I know it's really early for this, but when Serin gains the Wild Shape ability, she can change into any medium natural or fey creature. It says that stats don't change and whatnot, but RP/travel-wise, would she be able to change into some kind of bird and fly somewhere, or if she changed into a creature that can climb well, would she be able to climb better?
That's how druidic Wildshape works, so I'm inclined to say yes. Shawn's call, ultimately.

What I like about 3.5e Wildshape is that the player can only transform into creatures he/she is familiar with, and that your size choices increase as you increase in level.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

doomdragon6 said:

Wildshape does not cause any change in stats. Druids have utility powers that specifically allow them to turn into a bird and gain a fly speed.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Bridgeport tomorrow! Woo!

Also, I have a friend coming over to visit for a few days sometime tomorrow. I told him that I enjoy this game too much to skip it, and he said that was fine and that he's even interested in watching/listening because he'd like to get acquainted with 4E. (His last ruleset was 1st E :eek: )

So just letting you guys know I might be distracted, and he may yell something into the mic every now and then. Also, I'm going to take it off of headphones so he can listen, so if we get "echo" I apologize. I know you hate that, Shawn.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Errik's list of non-quest-related things do do in Bridgeport:

- Keep Bez invisible, maintain as a minor
- Investigate true properties of the Tome
- Sell all incidental loot (gems, etc.)

And the most interesting one that may involve some in-game roleplay:

- Attempt to sell cockatrice eggs (pets, magical components, home security, police animals, black market, etc.) Use Streetwise to find my best option. Split any proceeds with Kratash, the person who helped me get them.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

It seems like proceeds should go to the entire party, seeing as without us, it wouldn't have ever happened.

But if that's what Errik would do, then whatevs. :toocool:

Serin might try to find out the Who's Who of the city and scout any potential important people she could shapechange to gain favor. Who knows. A stablemaster might be willing to part with some horses for the leader of the city? :unibrow:

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

doomdragon6 said:
It seems like proceeds should go to the entire party, seeing as without us, it wouldn't have ever happened.

But if that's what Errik would do, then whatevs. :toocool:
I honestly don't expect to get much for 'em, if anything. If it's a goodly sum then I can share. I'm just sayin' it wouldn't be entire outta character for me to sell 'em all for, say, 600g, then return to the party with a bag of 300g and graciously split it 6 ways. ;)

Also, small-sized character probably can't ride horses. The gnome druid in my Tuesday night party just got his dire badger animal companion/mount. :)

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I think they can ride horses. If not, ponies! Plus, halflings can easily ride with somebody else steering.

I was just giving an example. :p It'd be a bit odd for the mayor or whatever to be looking around for a dire badger dealer. :slywink:

Also, now that we're in a big city, Serin's michievous instincts are going to be kicking in. She can attempt to steal or con anything and anyone without fear of retribution, as all she has to do is shapechange and nobody will associate her misdeeds with her anymore.

Unless Shawn finds a good way to be a malevolent dick. :twisted:

I wonder if it'd be possible to hatch a cockatrice egg ourselves and use it as a pet / extra party member. It'd be kind of cool. It could get its own turns and everything. It'd be a conflict of interests, but Shawn could control it or something..

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gusto said:
- Attempt to sell cockatrice eggs (pets, magical components, home security, police animals, black market, etc.) Use Streetwise to find my best option. Split any proceeds with Kratash, the person who helped me get them.
Actually, Grendmir held the rope. But it's okay; I know to other races, all Dragonborn look the same. :(

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

escushion said:
Gusto said:
Actually, Grendmir held the rope. But it's okay; I know to other races, all Dragonborn look the same. :(
GASP!

I thought you were a stone man!

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

[schild=19,1,000000,C0C0C0:1opuufbf]Welcome to Bridgeport. No monster killing before filling out the proper paperwork.
-Management.[/schild:1opuufbf]

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I also think that Errik is gonna try to keep a low profile in Bridgeport. This is a major city and so the likelihood of anyone recognizing his name and startin' shit kinda goes up.

Hm...

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gusto said:
I also think that Errik is gonna try to keep a low profile in Bridgeport. This is a major city and so the likelihood of anyone recognizing his name and startin' poop kinda goes up.

Hm...
Thanks for the reminder!
Hmm. Now where to find a good "angry mob" encounter...

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Shawnacy said:
Gusto said:
I also think that Errik is gonna try to keep a low profile in Bridgeport. This is a major city and so the likelihood of anyone recognizing his name and startin' poop kinda goes up.

Hm...
Thanks for the reminder!
Hmm. Now where to find a good "angry mob" encounter...
I think I know how to best act in that situation too. :)

I look forward to any/all opportunities to delve into personal stories for any/all characters while in a major city.

Status
Not open for further replies.