Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game! (Thread allowed 30 pages)

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Mm, good point.

And Ed, I'd figured you'd seen this thread and just weren't intersted! It'd be interesting having you on the other side of the DM screen, so to speak. Guess we're full now though.

PS: I still keep altenating between Ed and Dave for you.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Edrondol said:
Where the &^$* have I been? I totally missed this thread and missed out on a game. *sigh* PM me if you have the Char Gen and don't have the upgrade or need access to the books.
You can always roll a character and be close to go if something happens last moment. :thumbsup:

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

IMAGEDUMP:

Errik Loreno, of the Lorenos:

Freezing Cloud underlay:

And I think I'm gonna steal Allen's Flaming Sphere image. :)

K

Kitty Sinatra

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Damn. And I still think that looks awesome for the minute of work I put into it.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Aw, dammit!

I just made ALL my macros for every conceivable roll I could think of (all my attacks including melee, all my damage, initiative, every skill check) but didn't realize I had to SAVE my macros.

Now I gotta start over. :(

EDIT: Fixed and triplesaved.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Really? You had to save?

I never had to save. Weird. (Though I have now. :D )

Also, I took your Freezing Cloud image and added some feathering and transparency to it-- just because I'm a dork and I think it'll look neater in the game. I'm not going to be a jackass though- you don't have to use it. :p

It looks better in the map than it does on here though.

Also, don't forget to put your pogs/underlays in their respective folders in the gametables folder!

Edit: Also made a version that has 60% transparency and, when used as a pog (pog folder), can be placed over existing pogs to make it look like they're trapped inside the cloud instead of standing on top of it. I like the effect.

/too much free time

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Oh, you made it? Nice. I figured you'd just googled a cloud and found it. Good job man. :thumbsup: Didn't mean to edit your work. :D

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

doomdragon6 said:
Oh, you made it? Nice. I figured you'd just googled a cloud and found it. Good job man. :thumbsup: Didn't mean to edit your work. :D
Hey no problem.

The only thing is that if you use the cloud as a pog, and place it over top of players, won't it be harder/more annoying to move the characters since you'd need to move the cloud first?

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gusto said:
doomdragon6 said:
Hey no problem.

The only thing is that if you use the cloud as a pog, and place it over top of players, won't it be harder/more annoying to move the characters since you'd need to move the cloud first?
Ah, you're right. I thought locking it would help, but you can't move the pogs underneathe. Oh well. Underlays it is. :p

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I just looked at freezing cloud- it says that those affected are "subject to another attack." What does that mean exactly? That the caster can make an attack as soon as the creature is in the cloud? Can anyone make an attack? *no comprende*

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Anyone who enters the cloud, or starts their turn in it is subject to it's effects. :)

Gotta love dailies.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

So the progress so far:
Looks like we have our party of six.
Our first run will be Thursday at 5:30 central. (Starting 30 min early to test gametable and set up).
Adventure is still being outlined but I have a pretty good idea where I'd like the campaign to go.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

From the Journal of Errik Loreno

My name is Errik, and I am one of the younger cousins of the respected and feared Loreno Family. At least we used to be. Things have been in a state of disarray since that rampaging druid was finally brought to justice. A "party of righteous adventurers" saw fit to end his destruction of the villages around here, which is kind of okay, but mostly cuts off the Family's sources of income. If we are unable to assert ourselves into positions of power in a village on the brink of destruction, what power, or influence, can the Family claim to have? This is the way I was raised! It is the way we were all raised, going back to at least Grandmother Calli's generation.

Once Grandmother Calli reformed, and promised to disband the Loreno Syndicate in gracious debt to the oh-so-righteous adventurers, things have been kind of... dicey. Individual households, and even sometimes the individuals therein, are disagreeing on the Family's best courses of action. Some are so set in our established methods of extortion and exploitation that they cannot fathom another way of life. Others are excited to see what the Family can give back to the community under the guise of Good, convinced things don't need to change too much. A few were so new to the lifestyle that they are genuinely willing to try to adapt to a path of good (as I've taken to calling it).

Some call me optimistic, but I count myself among those few.

I must travel with a small group, aided by my fledgling arcane abilities. The road will be difficult, and oftentimes very confusing, but I must prove to the Family and to myself that the Path of Good can be a satisfying, prosperous, and lucrative lifestyle. I have grown up knowing only greed, treachery, and paranoia. I must do my best to learn the meanings of generousity, peace, trust, and compassion. Words that I was raised to view with derision.

This journal will chronicle my path of redemption, and hopefully guide The Family to follow the Path of Good themselves, in the event that it can provide for our.... established lifestyle expectations.

I only hope I am not too far gone to recognize the Path.

- E. Loreno
For The Good Of The Family

(OOC: Errik is a young cousin of a fairly well-known halfling crime family. Soon after reaching an age where he could help in exploiting the innocent, a high level party of adventurers forced the syndicate to disband. They're still a quasi-feared family of criminal, evil halflings, but many are trying to deal with NOT BEING EVIL for the first time in their lives.

This is going to be a fun character to play, I think. An evil character who his trying earnestly to redeem himself for the sake of bringing his family back to prosperity and renown again. I hope to play him as pretty socially awkward at first - curious, optimistic and CLEARLY trying to understand, but bascially not knowing the difference between right and wrong. :) )

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Shawnacy said:
So the progress so far:
Our first run will be Thursday at 5:30 central. (Starting 30 min early to test gametable and set up).
Adventure is still being outlined but I have a pretty good idea where I'd like the campaign to go.
Could always use pre-planned adventures. :unibrow:

I don't know how that works. Is it just each city has 'quests' you can go on, and some might lead to bigger things?

I know as a DM you make up what happens as it happens, but how do those pre-planned ones work?

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

doomdragon6 said:
Shawnacy said:
So the progress so far:
Could always use pre-planned adventures. :unibrow:

I don't know how that works. Is it just each city has 'quests' you can go on, and some might lead to bigger things?

I know as a DM you make up what happens as it happens, but how do those pre-planned ones work?
Pre-planned are convenient. Assuming you are refering to the store bought adventures.
They have everything mapped out and NPCs designed. The only problem with them is they don't work if someone has already read or run the adventure.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I haven't played pen and paper D&D since 3.0 (except from video games and whatnot). I've been playing catchup since I signed up (page 273 of the player's handbook so far) and I can tell you for a fact, I wouldn't know any quests from those adventure books, lol. :)

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Shawnacy said:
doomdragon6 said:
We're all noobs here, so... :D
Well that will certainly make things easier when I don't feel particularly creative.
Absolutely! I also use them as kind of tutorials for new players. I just kind of edit them so that they tie to a city of my own creation, introduce tem to a couple NPCs in town, and basically gain them a party identity and contacts for the next quests.

EDIT: Also, I added Errik's journal entry above. :) I'd be interested to know what you guys think of my character concept.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gusto said:
Shawnacy said:
doomdragon6 said:
We're all noobs here, so... :D
Well that will certainly make things easier when I don't feel particularly creative.
Absolutely! I also use them as kind of tutorials for new players. I just kind of edit them so that they tie to a city of my own creation, introduce tem to a couple NPCs in town, and basically gain them a party identity and contacts for the next quests.

EDIT: Also, I added Errik's journal entry above. :) I'd be interested to know what you guys think of my character concept.
Seems solid to me. I don't even have a background for my character yet. Just a shapechanging Sorcerer rogue-wannabe so far. =P

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

The Ongoing Chronicles of Serin Legrange

"These are the journal entries written by none other than Legrange herself," the Guard Captain, Bristol, boomed. "They chronicle nearly every charge placed against Legrange, and then some, in great detail. It is by these documents that we may conclude beyond a shadow of a doubt her guilt, and thereby convict Legrange."

The journal entries of which the guard spoke were indeed Serin's, and all but some were meticulously bound into a book with lavish black hardcovers. The afformentioned few removed were torn unceremoniously from their bindings to be presented as evidence. A few were selected specifically to represent a number of charges; others torn at random to further prove Serin's changeling heritage. They read as such:

Journal Entry 41

I've been outed again. They found the real stablemaster. I've avoided capture thus far, but that bloody gang has done me no good. Once the guards found the missing stablemaster, they knew who was in charge.. They took half the gang into custody and I've already been sold out. I put my neck on the line each day and they betray me. Bah. Such is the life of hired help, I suppose. Their leader is still on the loose, but I shan't be working for him again. They already know what I am. I need to get out of this city and find somewhere new once more. I think this time I'll head out west.

--------------------

Journal Entry 45

I've been travelling with this group of wandering bards for days. They're a lively bunch, but the stories and tunes get old after the first day or so. I've assumed the guise of an Elven merchant, travelling west to peddle my wares. The bards tell me they travel this route all the time, so I can be reasonably assured I will reach the city in due haste. One of the bards, Elwyn, gave me her flute as a gift, and has taught me to play. My tunes are no masterpieces, but the bards seem pleasantly amused, so it'll suffice in knowing that my playing does not sunder one's ears. Rarely does one see such kindness in this world. However, I can only wonder if I would receive such kindness in my true form.

Dusk is starting to fall, so I will continue my chronicles at a later date.

------------------

Journal Entry 13

I've finally gotten my hands on some fine clothing. I spotted a man as he was leaving his house for work. I immediately shapechanged to take on his appearance and knocked on the door to his house. His wife let me right in! I took an "extra change of clothes" and was on my way. I grew worried when she asked if I was wearing this outfit when I left before, but then she waved it off as her mind slipping. Phew. I managed to hide one of her dresses between the clothes I took, so now when I masquerade as a noble of either gender, people might take me seriously.

Adapting to this constantly changing lifestyle has been difficult, but I believe that I am finally getting the hang of it. I do still pine for the days back with my family, in my home village, but I can't go back. I'll find my parents and I'll get revenge on the swine that attacked us!

---------------------

Journal Entry 35

I've been hired by a mob boss. Not the most reputable of clients, but lucrative. I'm to take on the guise of the town stablemaster. The gang wants to smuggle in and out their goods, and they want to do it for free. Transporting as much as they want as far as they want is a financially tasking endeavor. I, however, posing as the stablemaster, can manipulate the records. They're to abduct him, and I am to live as he does. I will eat what he eats, live where he lives, and socialize where he socializes. A tough task, but I believe I can pull it off. The pay is more than I've gotten in a long time. It's a lot, but merely a 20th of what the mob would be spending on carriages.

--------------------

Journal Entry 1

Our village was attacked last night! A storm of troops-- I don't know whose or why-- raided our home last night. They appeared to be populated by a group of paladins- I didn't recognize their crest. It all happened so fast. They just came in and started burning homes, they didn't care if it was a halfling's, elf's, or changeling's! But I know they were looking for us. Once the panic ensued in the streets, a few of their clerics cast a spell that let them see right through us. There were only 12 of us changelings in the village, and they went after every single one, ignoring the other races. They got my parents, and I don't know what happened to the rest! I'm the only one that got away as far as I know.

Why? Why did this happen? We were all doing so well-- we were being so careful not to let on our true identity. There must've been a traitor. There has to have been! How else could they know we were there?? It had to have been Bertrow. He always did talk about he was going to move onto something better. He must've cut a deal with someone.. I just know it. I'm going to wring his kneck if I ever find him.

... But... How will I find him?...

-------------------------

Journal Entry 2

I've decided to embark on my own. My old village is no longer safe. I'm going to try to find out who those attackers were, and why they targeted us. But first I need to increase my abilities. I've spent my whole life growing up in that village, posing as an elf, learning Sorcery under my parents in secret. Now, I can be whoever I want to be. An elf, a dwarf, a blacksmith, a fighter.. The only thing I can't be.. is myself.

I'm going to find my parents and try to find a place for myself in the world as well. Hopefully one day we changelings will be accepted. But for now, I must lay low.

------------------------------

The Captain of the Guard grinned to himself and turned to his lieutenant. "Lieutenant Jarek. Retrieve the prisoner and bring her back to me. I don't care what she looks like, she will stand trial." The lieutenant nodded with a short bow and disappeared from the room.

Stepping casually down the hall, he whistled gleefully to himself. A few cells down, he heard the muffled cries of a man in need of help. Casting his eyes aside, he smirked devilishly at the half-naked Lieutenant Jarek, bound and gagged behind bars. His muffled shouts escalated as he watched a spitting image of himself, in his guard armor no less, strut by unobstructed. The man's screams were lost to the guard as he shut the heavy metal door behind him.

Breathing in deeply as he stepped into the night air, Lieutenant Jarek gave a quick glance about to ensure that it was clear. And with a hearty baritone chuckle, his frame slowly shrank away, his flesh turning ashen, his hair growing longer and gaining a silvery sheen. His eyes grew larger and lost all color, ensnared by milky whiteness. By the time the transformation was complete, Serin's manly chuckle had softened into a high-pitched giggle. Casting off her guard helmet, the changeling swiftly assumed the form of a halfling and disappeared into the night.

-----------------------

Sorry for the long post. But got very bored. TELL ME IF YOU THINK IT'S INTERESTING. Though it's very typical, yes, I know. But it at least opens doors for a quest later if need be.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I like it! I especially like how you presented the entries out of order, and I have to admit, my eyes widened when you mentioned a mob boss. Just because it sounded like you had connected your story loosely to mine. :)

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

It actually crossed my mind, but I figured I had no idea what your mob was like or where they lived or what they did. If you want, we could arrange to be loosely connected. It'll probably -never- come up in-game though. :D

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

doomdragon6 said:
It actually crossed my mind, but I figured I had no idea what your mob was like or where they lived or what they did. If you want, we could arrange to be loosely connected. It'll probably -never- come up in-game though. :D
Well the way I'm hoping it will work (for you, maybe, as well as some NPCs) is that they'll recognize my last name and just assume the worst. At least until my character makes any progress in redeeming the Family.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I'm just looking up other players' powers in the PHB and seeing what they do and I have a couple notes:

-Brash Assault (Warlord) has the potential to be deadly with this group, seeing as I, at least, can use Magic Missile as a ranged basic attack.
-Warlords in general are pretty beefy for stacking huge amounts of damage.

-Boar Assault (Ranger) is a pretty beefy daily in order to start an encounter against a Big Bad.

-I can't currently access any Sorceror materials. :p

-Divine Glow (Cleric) is awesome for turning the tide of a battle in our favour.

-Lasting Threat (Fighter) is HUUUUUGE.

-I'm gonna loooooove Freezing Cloud. :twisted:

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gusto said:
-I'm gonna loooooove Freezing Cloud. :twisted:
evil smiley? you better watch where you aim that cloud or i will have to calculate how many squares i am able to throw a halfling >>

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Here's an update on my character with some background details :

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Saryon Swiftfeet, level 1
Elf, Cleric
Build: Devoted Cleric

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 12, Dex 18, Int 8, Wis 18, Cha 12.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 8, Wis 16, Cha 12.

AC: 17 Fort: 11 Reflex: 14 Will: 16
HP: 24 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

Background : Detective

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +4 (why is this int based?)
Heal +11
Perception +12
Insight +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +3
Dungeoneering +4
Nature +6
Stealth +3
Thievery +3

FEATS
Cleric: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Combat Medic

POWERS
Cleric at-will 1: Lance of Faith
Cleric at-will 1: Sacred Flame
Cleric encounter 1: Divine Glow
Cleric daily 1: Beacon of Hope

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Hide Armor, Morningstar, Longbow, Holy Symbol, Adventurer's Kit, Mystic Salves (Heal), Arrows (120)

RITUALS
Gentle Repose, Brew Potion

Alignment: Good
Diety: Ilmater
Height: 5'9"

Personality Traits:

Saryon is generally the quiet type by but is definitely not shy. He doesn't tend to initiate conversations unless needed and generally appears calm and stoic in most situations. His companions will know that when the going gets though, he's steady and reliable. Highly adaptable and open-minded to situations, Saryon is self-assured in his ability. He is also very inquisitive by nature. Lastly, he is honest and kind by nature he does enjoy listening to a good story, especially those of humourous content.

Mannerisms and Appearance:

Saryon has dark blond hair and dark blue eyes, dulled by the grim experiences he's endured in life. He usually dressed in a pale blue and grey tunic and trousers over his armor. He is clearly not fond of robes. He wears an amulet around his neck, with a symbol representing his deity Ilmater. With an engraving of a broken crutch and sunflowers representing that this adorned is a Follower of the Unhindered Path. He is poised in his continual movement and is constantly focused on the environment around him. He rarely speaks in elvish and tends to speak only in common. He will however pray in elvish and when he's using holy spells. Like his deity, Ilmater, Saryon doesn't get angry easily but when he does, he becomes fearsome in battle. He is angered by savage cruelty and those who inflict suffering, particularly upon children.

Character Background:
Saryon was born in Shroudmist Grove, an elven enclave located within the haunted Shroudmist Forest. The Grove was created to protect the gates that make trade between The Feywild and The Middle World possible, and as a haven and refuge for foundlings of all races. A great many races are represented in the Grove from elves to the eladrin, orcs, shifters, some of the goblinoid races, and a smattering of gnomes and changelings who've escaped from the purges in the Feywild. Saryon was a gifted young elf who's god given abilities made him very popular to the others in the grove. One day, he was challenged by an eladrin boy, a boy who Saryon always despised and the sentiment was very much returned. The contest was sent off and they had to "venture" into the haunted forest to retrieve a wooden statue that was hidden in one of 6 possible locations. Before the contest was off, Saryon secretly went into the eladrin boy's backpack and removed some pints of oil so that he would be forced to give up his search and return home, in defeat. The day went by and after visiting his 3rd cave, Saryon found the treasure and returned victoriously. The eladrin boy, never came back. A search party was sent out and they found him in a cave, mutilated and half eaten by a brown bear after his torch went out and was stuck deep in a dark cave without any oil and took the wrong turn out.

Saryon grew very remorseful by his actions and felt a lot of grief for his actions. He spent his days alone, unable to cope with life with the action he took. One day, a gnome cleric name Wrynn approached Saryon and taught him the ways of Ilmater, teaching to him that perhaps he could atone for his sin by praying to his god and perhaps he will listen to him. And with this, Saryon starting his path being a cleric of Ilmater and consequently took his oath as a Follower of the Unhindered Path. It's been over 35 years and Saryon is now a seasoned cleric who's been to many places, helping where he can.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

So just to be clear, we're using the same Gametable and Vent servers as Dave's game, right?

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gusto said:
So just to be clear, we're using the same Gametable and Vent servers as Dave's game, right?
Yes.

And since you were curious earlier, here are the powers I've taken:

Burning Spray Sorcerer Attack 1
You fling your arm in a wide arc, casting liquid fire at your foes.
At-Will ? Arcane, Fire, Implement
Standard Action Close blast 3
Target: Each creature in blast
Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d8 + Charisma modifier fire damage.
Level 21: 2d8 + Charisma modifier fire damage.
[strike:12at55pu]Dragon Magic: The next enemy that hits you with a
melee attack before the end of your next turn takes fire
damage equal to your Strength modifier.[/strike:12at55pu]

--------

Chaos Bolt Sorcerer Attack 1
A bolt of many-colored light leaps from your hand and screams
toward an enemy’s head.
At-Will ? Arcane, Implement, Psychic
Standard Action Ranged 10
Primary Target: One creature
Primary Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: 1d10 + Charisma modifier psychic damage.
Level 21: 2d10 + Charisma modifier psychic damage.
Wild Magic: If you rolled an even number for the
primary attack roll, make a secondary attack.
Secondary Target: One creature within 5 squares of the
target last hit by this power
Secondary Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: 1d6 psychic damage. If you rolled an even number for
the secondary attack roll, repeat the secondary attack.
You can attack a creature only once with a
single use of this power.

----

Whirlwind Sorcerer Attack 1
You create a small whirlwind that buffets creatures and knocks
them off their feet.
Encounter. Arcane, Implement
Standard Action Area burst 1 within 10 squares
Target: Each creature in burst
[strike:12at55pu]Storm Magic: You can choose not to target a creature in
the origin square of the burst.[/strike:12at55pu]
Attack: Charisma vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d10 + Charisma modifier damage, and you knock
the target prone.

----

Dazzling Ray Sorcerer Attack 1
A brilliant beam lances out to strike your foe and befuddle it.
Daily ? Arcane, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action Ranged 10
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: 6d6 + Charisma modifier radiant damage.
Wild Magic: If you rolled an even number on the attack
roll, the target takes a penalty to attack rolls against you
equal to your Dexterity modifier (save ends).
Miss: Half damage.

---------

I really wanted something more interesting for the Daily, but in the end I think huge damage will help us more than my other options.

Also, keep in mind that all of these get a +7 to damage right off the bat.

The only thing is, you guys are going to have to stay out of my way. :confused:

... Have fun! :D

Also, Gusto, the wizard is pretty much the most versatile class in the game. USE IT! :rofl: Oh, I'm going to PM you the Arcane Power book to give you more options. You might be interested in a new implement-- the Tome. It lets you store an encounter power that you know, and you can use it instead of your 'chosen' encounter power each encounter. (That is, you expend your original encounter to use it-- so you're really just getting a choice, and I love that.) Anyway, something to consider.

Also, if you want to get the updated Character Builder (INLCUDES ARCANE AND ALL SORTS OF STUFF), Dave said to send him a PM. He can help.

ALSO, if any of you PM me with the books you need, I might be able to let you "borrow" them. :ninja:

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Dave sent me the Upgrade info. Working on the download now. I might do a little tinkering. :)

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I'm really getting lost here. Some of these new powers and implements are confusing. Does anyone have any suggestions to build changes? So far I've just taken what sounds cool pretty much. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.