Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game! (Thread allowed 30 pages)

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Well I could tell you what my wizard in Dave's game has.

But I refuse to let you be as good as me. :sobad:

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gusto said:
-Boar Assault (Ranger) is a pretty beefy daily in order to start an encounter against a Big Bad.
Hee hee, I like to think so. :D And I'm super happy to see people writing backgrounds now. I was beginning to feel like the only one. ^^;;

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I'm eager to see how we get started. Traditional tavern meeting? Some event in a city lands us together? The only survivors of a crashed ship on a strange land? So many possibilities...

My backstory will be short and simple: Grendmir is buddies with a trio of dwarf brothers who at one point decided to set up a trade business together running routes to and from Luruar. Being their friend, they invited Grendmir along as a bodyguard. He's been doing that for a good 10 years, though he really hasn't seen much action in the way of fighting while doing so. Now his friends are doing fairy well for themselves and have gone off with their fortunes to start families and new enterprises. Now Grendmir is seeing how the time has passed and he has little to show for it, both in wealth and for his own pride. It's time to get on with real life.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I've never liked the traditional tavern meeting. An event that pits us together always makes sense though. :D 'cause then you're "forced" to work together and it all works out.

If you have a specific way for us to start out in mind, Shawn, you could let us know so we could come up with a reason for our characters to be there. (For example, Dave had us create a reason for our character to have gone through the malfunctioning gates to arrive at the city we started at. As such, we were all in the same boat, looking for answers together.) It's up to you. :D

So, so far we have:

- An Elven Ranger, looking for clues to the disappearance of her family and what drove her brother mad
- A Halfing Wizard, whose very way of life crumbled around him, and now must make a name for himself to restore his Family's honor
- A Changeling Sorcerer, searching for her place in the world while seeking those that destroyed her home and took her kind
- An Elven Cleric, wandering the land and helping those who need it in an attempt for redemption
- A Dragonborn Fighter, confronted with his own worth, who seeks another purpose in life, one that will give him something to be proud of
- And a Dragonborn Warlord, history yet defined. :D

ANYWAY I AM VERY EXCITED HURRY UP THURSDAY.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I think I'm gonna stick with my current setup of powers, unless something is made clearer to me.

The Tome of Readiness - does it allow me to KNOW a second encounter power, but only be able to cast one/encounter, sort of like how the wizard's Spellbook works for daily powers?

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Yes, the Tome of Readiness makes it so that you can have 2 encounter powers, but only cast one of them each encounter.

This is much better than how the Daily Spellbook system works, to me, because with the dailies you have to pick which one you're going to use at the beginning of the day, which is gay.

I personally love having a second encounter power to choose from, even if I only get to cast one. This lets me have Burning Hands, which is great for large groups, and Force Orb which is good for a single target with enemies adjacent. (Burning Hands hurts enemies and allies, whereas Force Orb only hurts enemies, which makes it a decent alternative.)

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Okay cool, so I'm gonna take Tome of Readiness and offhand a dagger, and I'm keeping Burning Hands for burst damage, and "inscribing" Grasping Shadows for burst control.

What sucks is that I can't actually select another encounter power in the Character Creator, which is why I was initially confused. So I'm going to have to refer to the build section for all the details of it whenever I get confused. Oh well.

EDIT: Anyone who wants to make me a cool underlay for Grasping Shadows is welcome to help. Mine is pretty lackluster so far:

Currently at 75% opacity.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

escushion said:
I'm eager to see how we get started. Traditional tavern meeting? Some event in a city lands us together? The only survivors of a crashed ship on a strange land? So many possibilities..
Survivors of a boat crash are forced to live with each other on a remote island, a dangerous new world that poses unique threats of its own. There is also much more than meets the eye, as it becomes apparent that everyone is connected in some way and that everyone has a purpose to live on the island... and for some, to die.

lol

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I also changed my feat to Reaper's Touch, which for a wizard, means that I can use my Magic Missile as a melee attack, including Attacks of Opportunity.

:)

EDIT: In fact, here are all my updates, minus the inclusion of Grasping Shadows in the Tome of Readiness:

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Errik Loreno, level 1
Halfling, Wizard
Build: War Wizard
Arcane Implement Mastery: Tome of Readiness

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 14, Dex 14, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 15.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 9, Con 14, Dex 12, Int 18, Wis 12, Cha 13.

AC: 14 Fort: 12 Reflex: 14 Will: 14
HP: 24 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +9, Streetwise +8, Insight +6, Diplomacy +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +4, Bluff +2, Dungeoneering +1, Endurance +2, Heal +1, History +4, Intimidate +3, Nature +1, Perception +1, Religion +4, Stealth +2, Thievery +4, Athletics -1

FEATS
Wizard: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Reaper's Touch

POWERS
Wizard at-will 1: Scorching Burst
Wizard at-will 1: Magic Missile
Wizard encounter 1: Burning Hands
Wizard daily 1: Freezing Cloud
Wizard daily 1 Spellbook: Flaming Sphere

ITEMS
Spellbook, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Adventurer's Kit, Ritual Book, Implement, Tome
RITUALS
Animal Messenger, Tenser's Floating Disk, Comprehend Language
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Reaper's Touch? Man, you should try to avoid being within Melee range whenever possible. Even then, you can almost always Shift 1 Square away from the enemy and then shoot him.

I'd heavily advise against Reaper's Touch. I mean, if that's what you want, it's up to you, but I feel you could pick a better feat. In Dave's game I've never needed to use Magic Missile as a melee attack. (I've always had another alternative.) If you think it'll be an issue though, go for it.

I chose Destructive Wizardry, because my goal is to hit as many targets as possible with each attack I do, and as long as you hit 2 or more you get a +2 to the damage of the attack.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

doomdragon6 said:
Reaper's Touch? Man, you should try to avoid being within Melee range whenever possible. Even then, you can almost always Shift 1 Square away from the enemy and then shoot him.

I'd heavily advise against Reaper's Touch. I mean, if that's what you want, it's up to you, but I feel you could pick a better feat. In Dave's game I've never needed to use Magic Missile as a melee attack. (I've always had another alternative.) If you think it'll be an issue though, go for it.

I chose Destructive Wizardry, because my goal is to hit as many targets as possible with each attack I do, and as long as you hit 2 or more you get a +2 to the damage of the attack.
Yeah that's a good point. The chances of me AoOing anyone are pretty low.

EDIT: I don't know WHY I skipped over Destructive Wizardry. Most of my powers are bursts or blasts, including BOTH of my available encounters and potentially both my dailies.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Since you asked, made this for Grasping Shadows.

Feel free to use or don't. Either way I like it. :D

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I rolled a Minotaur Barbarian out of boredom. So I have another character if Serin bites the bucket! Or maybe Serin can shapechange into a Minotaur and get stuck in that form somehow. I dunno.

.... Can you tell I have nothing better to do than wait for D&D?

--------

I just found out you can put animated gifs into GameTable, but the weird thing is, it only animates when something "changes." It animates if you move the map, or move the cursor to the menu (it only advances one frame), but it doesn't just animate. Very odd.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gusto said:
WHY IS IT STILL ONLY WEDNESDAY WHYYYYYYY
Cause if it were Thursday it would be a very short game.

Adventure outlined. Final encounter planned. Just need to fill in everything else.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I expect it to be a short game on Thursday anyways, a lot of setup is going to take place. A lot of people still need to catch up to speed to 4E, so patience will be key. Don't expect us to solve all the problems of Faerum in one night. :p

I'd say our 2nd week will be a lot more rewarding. :)

Is there anything else we should do to setup things on our end before go time? I wanted to create some dice macros but to be honest, I'll probably need someone to point out my dice rolls, I don't want to make our DM think I'm cheating due to human error. :shock:

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

/roll d20+7

That shows in the program as well as the result. So rolling die is not really an issue.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

The rolls you need to make macros for at their most basic are probably initiative and your attacks. If you really want to go all out, you can make macros for all of your skill checks too. I made macros for everything except ability checks (which I might do now, it's easy enough...)

Anyway, most of the die modifiers can be found on your character sheet.

Initiative is a simple d20 + (whatever your initiative modifier is).

Your attacks are often detailed as something like "Strength vs. AC" or "Intelligence vs. Reflex". For these, you basically go d20 + (relevant ability modifier). I went so far as to detail that I'm attacking Reflex in the macro's title, but the defense that you'r targeting doesn't really affect the die roll itself.

After that, damage rolls are pretty clearly outlined in "Hit:" section of your powers. If they have a secondary attack (for example, Flaming Sphere does 2d6 + INT on a hit, but 1d4 + INT to any creature who is adjacent to it as well), outline that in a separate macro.

Skills are fairly simple - they're just like initiative. d20 + modifier.

And finally, here's my protip: I try to keep my macros organized because I have so many of them and they get organized alphabetically. So I titled them accordingly:

Hope that helps. :)

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Well most of them are just there for the label, really. Just about all of my attacks are Intelligence vs. Reflex, which is always the same roll. And I'll probably never attempt to make an Athletics check. I just had a lot of time on my hands. :)

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Is that menu from Gametable or somewhere else? That looks seriously cool.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Edrondol said:
Is that menu from Gametable or somewhere else? That looks seriously cool.
Yeah it's just my Dice Macro tab in the little window on the left. I cropped it down for the sake of not having a 1680x1050 screenshot in here.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Yeah, that's the same as I did - although I didn't bother with the skills.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

My OCD kinda took over and I added ability checks.

As far as I know, that's every dice roll I'll ever need to make.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

*squee* Just a day away now, ya'll! ^.^ I just realized something; am I the only girl? At first I thought that doomdragon was a girl, but apparently he is just playing as a female character.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gruebeard said:
What about your saving throw?
I didn't bother making macros for straight d20 rolls.

And YES faline, you are the only lady. And the first that I've played DnD with for [hopefully] more than one session. And Doom is a dude playing a lady, and I do believe that he wrote a paragraph explaining why. :)

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

falineowlight said:
*squee* Just a day away now, ya'll! ^.^ I just realized something; am I the only girl? At first I thought that doomdragon was a girl, but apparently he is just playing as a female character.
I hate you. :D

Yes, I'm playing a girl. I have, for a very long time, said I would never play a girl in things like online RPGs or D&D or whathaveyou.

But, for some reason, a female Doppelganger worked better in my head, so I said fuck it, and made a female character.

I -will not- be doing anything that is usually female specific. :rofl: I will not flirt with male characters, I will not try to sleep with someone for a discount, and I will not stop being useful once a month. *rimshot* (Sorry faline!)

If it starts becoming some kind of weird problem that my character is female, it's a Doppelganger. I can make it a male permanently. Very easy. :rofl:

/overly-sensitve rant

----------------

ONE DAY!

So, the essentials:

- 5:30 central, to work out the kinks
- Vent and GameTable (Find info to connect to Vent at the top of the We Love Game forum.)
- Get on Vent first so Shawn can provide us his info to connect to him on GameTable
- If for some reason you can't talk/mic doesn't work, Vent has a chatroom. You can go in there and communicated. It might be a good idea for the others to open the chat too just in case. Also, theres a button at the bottom of the chat that enables Text to Speech, so it will read aloud whatever is typed, so you don't have to focus on the chat.

Learning the ways of things shouldn't take too long. In Dave's game we were all a bunch of newbs, and we decimated a goblin raid in no time.

----------

Nice job on the macros, Gusto. Ready to listen to how much of an idiot I am? I said, "Hmm, I need to organize these by Encounter and Daily and whatnot... I KNOW! I'LL DO THIS!"

I think I'll try your method. Mine's retarded.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Hahaha, that's cool Doom. I just really liked how despite being sorted alphabetically, ALL of my powers are lumped together, regardless of frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.