Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game! (Thread allowed 30 pages)

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I didn't know 1s always missed.

With the rolls GameTable gets us, we're likely to miss--- well, hell, we're likely to miss a corpse.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Assume in a combat situation that an attack of any sort requires a roll. Because you never know what might be going on. The 1 indicates that he was simply under some duress that possibly caused his aim to suffer. I imagine a big, nasty, invisible, frost crocodile might cause someone to lose his cool.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

A summary for those of you unfortunate souls who did not get to listen in:

And so the chronicles of... whoever these people are, began!

The elven ranger, Adia, having teamed up with the changeling sorcerer, Serin, to find Betrow (another powerful changeling), a man supposed to be linked to their families' disappearance, set off on their way to look for clues. Arriving in the city of New Haven, they came across Errik, a halfling wizard discovered to be part of the recently disbanded Loreno mob family. Sensing a chance to perform good deeds and redeem his family's name, Errik joined the pair of adventurers. They also come across Saryon, the elven cleric; Kratash, the dragonborn warlord, and Grendmir, a dragonborn fighter.

Sensing a tip to head [insert direction here], they make their way away from NewHaven, coming upon a small town called Westbrooke. Noticing that the town seemed ill-at-ease, the party headed straight for the tavern and started asking questions. Adia, after getting a poor [dwarven?] blacksmith's hopes up, discovers that two women have gone missing from the town, shortly after an entertainer appeared. Serin, disguised as a human, started to chat with the barmaid, finding out that indeed her daughter had been one of the ones that disappeared. The rest of the group had their fingers in their ears, shouting "La la la la!" apparently trying to ignore all conversation in the room.

Eventually the rest of the party gathered around the barmaid, learning that a search party sent out of the town found no sign of any kind of tracks whatsoever. After learning that the blacksmith had access to the storage tower in the town, Adia got a hunch that maybe the missing people never left the town to begin with. She, getting the blacksmith's hopes up once again, gets him to unlock the door to the tower letting the group in.

After some exploration, the party made their way to the basement, and before long located a hidden trap door. After a long discussion on how to open this trap door (in a tool storage tower), the group quickly locates a crowbar and lifts the trapdoor open, revealing a spiraling set of stairs.

Adia taking the lead, she deftly made her way downstairs. As soon as the party reached the bottom, they noticed a campfire in the corner and two overturned tables. They immediately recognized it as an ambush, but with no time to act, they were attacked!

Serin was the first to be hit, with a bottle of immobilizing glue breaking on her face and dripping down her body. Second came a bottle of alchemical flame, setting one of the dragonborn ablaze.

It turned out the party had invaded a Kobold den (who themselves had invaded a longstanding dwarven shelter). After a quick scuffle, the last remaining kobold surrendered. He revealed that the three humans had been taken as sacrifices for a ritual "to bring in a warrior for the kobolds."

Fearing the worst, the adventurers tied up the kobold and left him in the room, carefully opening a set of double-doors. Much to their chagrin, however, this set off an alarm of bells. The group tensed, preparing for an onslaught of kobold guards that never came. The group began exploring rooms in the den, finding mostly uninteresting bedchambers, though a few held enchanted bracers and a sapphire, worth a pretty penny.

The group was finally ready for the large room that they knew had to be the ritual chamber. With a door on either side, they were going to burst in and flank the enemy! Charging the doors, they found--- an eating chamber with some kobold mothers and scared younglings.

Leaving the defenseless kobolds (and securing the doors with a bit of rope), the party trekked on through the winding hallway, which eventually emptied into a ginormous cave, holding none other than a gigantic dragon skeleton!

Before the group could investigate, they heard a large explosion come from the hallway down the cavern wall. They ran for the room, discovering a spent ritual circle with charred goblin corpses surrounding it. Hearing screams from the room adjacent, they hastily made their way over, only to be confronted with a large crocodile creature, shimmering with frost!

The party noticed the two missing women chained to the wall, and had arrived just in time to see the entertainer gulped up by the beast.

The fight began.

-- To Be Continued

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I'm glad everyone enjoyed themselves. It was a little rough start but we got it going quickly. The technology wasn't perfect but we had plenty of good laughs, scares and excitement as it played out. It's been a while since I've DMed so I know I was a little shakey. I'm also going to have to remember to change my keybind for Vent. My finger is STILL numb from holding down my middle mouse button for 5 hours.

I also thought I might leave you with an excerpt from an AIM session with a friend and myself talking about the campaign.

Me: I'm trying to find a solo monster for this party to fight, but the lowest one I can find is level 5.

Him: You could add DMG templates to something. If you add two templates it becomes a solo monster.

Me: Oh really? :sobad:

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I thought it was hilarious table talk that anytime we would uncover an new area of the map, someone would drag in the HUGE Tarrasque pog, or that explosion pog.

:rofl:

IT NEVER GETS OLD! I was honestly surprised!

And it was excellent for my character's development to have that big conversation about what we should do with our kobold hostage. To show mercy to an enemy who wouldn't show it to us were the tables turned, and could even prove to be a thorn in our sides later. Paradigms shiftin' all OVER the place. :)

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I was the one who kept putting the Tarrasque and Explosions into play for dramatic effect. :p

I believe the town was called Westbrooke and the ruins were dwarven.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Second came a bottle of alchemical flame, setting one of the dragonborn ablaze.
it was acid, i think, and i made my reflex save :p

The fight began.
and then kratash rolled a natural 20 on his initiative and did 47 damage to the beast.

*air guitar*

SeriousJay said:
I was the one who kept putting the Tarrasque and Explosions into play for dramatic effect. :p
lol. the tarrasque actually surprised me a couple times.

K

Kitty Sinatra

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Goddamn it. I wish I could've been the one DMing!

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

My character's policy is basically that if you get attacked, defned yourself. But if someone surrenders or is willing to negotiate, let them live. If he comes back with a host of kobolds, well, he'll get his. :p

Depending, of course. If he'd managed to kill one of us or do something extra malicious (as opposed to just defending his home) I'd have killed him.

Y'know, that is kinda fucked up. We just waltz into a kobold den (eating areas, bedrooms, and all) and start killing them. Granted, they attacked us first, and they did kidnap some people... Y'know what, fuck it; we let the non-hostiles live. :rofl:

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Thank you so much for a great first game, ya'll. ^.^ I'm looking forward to next week!

Oh, and that recap was brilliant, Doom. *hugs* It's going in the journal section of my character sheet now!

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Since people have my pog, who can edit it to make it look spiffy like the others? :)

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

[strike:2u1mpl56]I don't know. You could try putting a folder inside the pogs folder.[/strike:2u1mpl56]It's hard to get much info on GameTable. If you wanted, you could even look into maptools (but you can't build on the fly, I don't think.)

Here ya go, Jay.

Edit: SHAWN DID YOU EDIT YOUR POST OR AM I CRAZY.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

doomdragon6 said:
[strike:ytfyywbo]I don't know. You could try putting a folder inside the pogs folder.[/strike:ytfyywbo]It's hard to get much info on GameTable. If you wanted, you could even look into maptools (but you can't build on the fly, I don't think.)

Here ya go, Jay.

Edit: SHAWN DID YOU EDIT YOUR POST OR AM I CRAZY.
I figured it out, thanks.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

If you're using gametable DON'T DO IT!! Put too many pogs in and the whole thing crashes.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Edrondol said:
If you're using gametable DON'T DO IT!! Put too many pogs in and the whole thing crashes.
Oh really? As in too many pogs on the table or just too many pogs in the library?

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Just for the record - we made 23 gold offa those goblins that ambushed us. That comes out to 3g8s3c apiece.

Cha-ching.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

You guys are terrible at subtle humor. :rofl:

'cept you, Serious Jay and Allen. :p

You're the DM so you get final word, but I'm almost 100% certain you said 200gp in-game, as I even marked it down on my personal list of loot we found.

Anywho, a week away 'til our next game. Oy! *needs to get a hobby*

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I'm just kidding anyways, my character is a cleric of Ilmater. Thus has no need to palm anything. :)

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I remember 200g but I may be mistaken, I stopped taking notes once we left the tavern.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Looked in the DM's guide real quick and technically a sapphire is worth 10,000 gp. :rofl: But we're clearly not going with that, so it's whatever you say, oh great DM! :D

Quick note: While it makes sense as it IS searching for things, will all treasure lying in a room be awarded to only high perception rolls? Cuz if that's the case I may have to switch training from athletics to perception. :D

I might actually just do that anyway. *waits for level 2 to retrain* :ugeek:

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

doomdragon6 said:
Looked in the DM's guide real quick and technically a sapphire is worth 10,000 gp. :rofl: But we're clearly not going with that, so it's whatever you say, oh great DM! :D

Quick note: While it makes sense as it IS searching for things, will all treasure lying in a room be awarded to only high perception rolls? Cuz if that's the case I may have to switch training from athletics to perception. :D

I might actually just do that anyway. *waits for level 2 to retrain* :ugeek:
I dunno. Maybe for the Bracers of Mighty Striking, there could be some contention for ownership, but if Saryon or Adia or any of you super-perception people found a magical giant two-handed axe, or some kinda magical wand or tome, I would hope it would go to the most reasonable player.

If you wanna play hardball wherein the person who finds the stuff gets to keep it, then all that gold from the ambush is mine, and I might start keeping information I get from Arcana or Streetwise checks to myself as well.

I really don't want that to happen.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Quick note: While it makes sense as it IS searching for things, will all treasure lying in a room be awarded to only high perception rolls? Cuz if that's the case I may have to switch training from athletics to perception.
That would be silly thing to do and shouldn't be brought up again in the context of loot distribution (it leaves a bad taste in my mouth). Personally, I don't think we need so many people to be specialized in perception. While our DM was very patient with people who spammed skill check rolls instead of allowing those who are trained in that particular skill to lead the way I don't think that he'll continually allow the entire group to perform a skill check on a consistent basis like on our first night. (People also need to slow down on their movements, lack of patience gets your party in danger) Despite the shoddy rolls that Gametable sometime provides, you want to go with your best bet, whenever possible, or else he'll just take the first roll to speed things along (and get an average roll of say (10+2) instead of a well trained roll of (10+12). To be honest, we need the entire party to be balanced and have a good assortment of skills.

I dunno. Maybe for the Bracers of Mighty Striking, there could be some contention for ownership, but if Saryon or Adia or any of you super-perception people found a magical giant two-handed axe, or some kinda magical wand or tome, I would hope it would go to the most reasonable player.
Of course, best interest of the group. And let's not go down that trail about retaining information and all that stuff!! Change subject plz.

In regards to last week's loot, I was looking over our group skills and whatnot and I thought of something of interest. Those bracers of mighty striking would look awfully nice on the warlord combined to the power of Commander's Strike. The ability grants an ally a free melee attack (great when the warlord cannot get to the target or has an extra action to use) and the extra power is pretty nice.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I play with a simple rule in mind. Everyone is to enjoy themselves. Usually this means I try to keep the pace moving quickly to keep people from getting bored. At certain times I allow people to make mass rolls and I will describe the situation based on the results. I like to assume that players will share any loot they find (with exceptions to those characters of less honest personalities) and will hand out magic items to those that can use them the most effeciently.

In the case of the Bracers I believe that Adia is best choice for them.
Commander's Strike gives an ally of the warlord's choice a free basic attack. The bracers grant a bonus to melee basic attacks. Right now Adia has the most damage potential with her melee basic attacks (especially if she has Hunter's Quary on the target) so it's better tactics to let her have the bonus to hit.

But this is mearly a suggestion. As the DM I will never force any of you to make a decision on how to divide loot or what choices your characters make (unless I feel it's against your alignment or meta gaming). Also take heart in knowing that magic items aren't super rare in the world. There will be plenty to go around.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

All sounds good. Was merely curious.

Also, regarding thr mass rolls-- we should -really- be doing the Cooperation thing instead. I tried mentioning it at the last game, but I guess it wasn't getting through in the confusion (also, I didn't have the exact page number).

Straight from the book:

Cooperation
In some situations, you and your allies can work
together to use a skill; your allies can help you make
a skill check by making a check themselves. Each
ally who gets a result of 10 or higher gives you a +2
bonus to your check. Up to four allies can help you,
for a maximum bonus of +8. If you have a choice, let
the character in your group who has the highest base
skill check bonus take the lead, while the other characters
cooperate to give bonuses to the check. See “Aid
Another,” page 287, for how to cooperate in combat.

In most situations, we're going to be together, so we should start using these cooperation rules. Assuming we are, we should let the highest Perception character check, followed by each subsequently 'worse' character. A +8 to what is already a +11 or +12 will make it so we almost never miss anything within reason.

I just wanna stress this, because this is the definition of how we work together.

We have a week to come up with teamwork ideas with each other. :D It might be a good idea to somehow get everyone's character sheets together so we can all get familiar with everyone's abilities and learn how to work together.

Also, we had an issue last time with forgetting that we had bonuses applied to us (I think it was +2 Attack from the Warlord?). The best way I can think of to circumvent this, at least for now, would be to make unobtrusive tokens with common modifiers (1+ATK, +2ATK, +1DMG, +2DMG) and set them next to/near our characters. Or the supplier of the bonus could remind everybody each turn. I wouldn't see this as annoying in the slightest. We could just edit our "token attribute" to say +2 ATK but I feel it's very easy to miss that.

Anywho, I think we all did well last game. The only real thing we need to do differently is use Cooperation rules instead of spamming checks.

Status
Not open for further replies.