Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game! (Thread allowed 30 pages)

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

True, but don't forget there's a passage that exits at the river. It'd be easy for them to live off of whatever is in the wild around that exit. And if the other entrance is in the tower where no-one ever goes, it's feasible. Though, I don't even think there was supposed to be an entrance originally. I get the feeling that Shawn only put a trap door after Faline persisted. :p

But I don't know, of course. :rofl:

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

doomdragon6 said:
True, but don't forget there's a passage that exits at the river. It'd be easy for them to live off of whatever is in the wild around that exit. And if the other entrance is in the tower where no-one ever goes, it's feasible. Though, I don't even think there was supposed to be an entrance originally. I get the feeling that Shawn only put a trap door after Faline persisted. :p

But I don't know, of course. :rofl:
While I do tend to make things up on the spot (considering I can't plan for everything the PCs might think of) the entrance in the tower was always there. However the observant person might note that the tower entrance was covered with heavy boxes and covered in layers of dust. Which suggests that the 3 missing people and the kobolds had found alternate entrances. And yes, if the Kobolds had managed to live there for years without the people above them being any wiser, they must know something the villagers do not.
escushion said:
Well, our captive friend mentioned "the summoners." That could mean kobold summoners or something else in charge of the kobolds.

Speaking of in charge, Faline and I were discussing it the other day and are curious how the townspeople didn't know there was a nest of kobolds living under them for decades. The ruins could be undiscovered, sure, but the little pests had to have been noticed. Not to mention, the town guards were referred to as being not very aware. Two girls go missing along with some stranger and everyone in town is tense, but the guys on gate duty are relaxed? Something's fishy in this fishing village. It almost sounds like the girls were given up; maybe not to Zula's knowledge, but someone. There is more to this than meets the eye.

(PS, the four dead things around the summoning circles were very clearly stated as being goblins.)
A quick correction then. The four charred bodies were meant to be "kobolds".

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Alrighty then. Welp, looking forward to the game! Woot.

Now that my character has seen that kobolds are sentient creatures capable of families and intelligent thoughts and whatnot, she might just start knocking them unconscious instead of killing them. You gotta admit, it's kinda fucked up just killing everything. :rofl:

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

doomdragon6 said:
Alrighty then. Welp, looking forward to the game! Woot.

Now that my character has seen that kobolds are sentient creatures capable of families and intelligent thoughts and whatnot, she might just start knocking them unconscious instead of killing them. You gotta admit, it's kinda smurfed up just killing everything. :rofl:
well at least we didnt kill the children.

beside that, those smurfing slingers set me on fire like twice. damn straight im gonna kill them.

anyway, in other news, i have been sick for the last few days. i can still join, but i am going to sound a little hoarse.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Protecting all sentient life, regardless of their alignment or motivation, is exalted, not just good.

I'm not saying we have to rampage anything with green skin. We should absolutely spare the noncombatants, as long as were sure they won't pose a threat. But to spare the lives of anything with an intelligence score is really above and beyond the call of duty, even for most paladins.

That's why I love

a) that we "locked" the noncombatants in that room, which is both keeping them safe and stopping them from double-crossing us; and
b) that our party is having this many moral dilemmas already, making for good RP material for my character in particular. :)

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Good points.

Also, it's starting to storm here. As my internet is of a satellite sort, requiring communication that doesn't have clouds in the way, it's possible I won't be there tonight.

I'm hoping I will, and it's got 3 hours to pass over, buit if I'm not there, that's why.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gusto said:
many moral dilemmas
Moral dilemma, schmoral dilemma. Adia doesn't care as long as she can get stuff done. "Nature kills indescriminately, as do I." Bwa ha ha! I'm not evil, I just don't care. :p

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Moral dilemmas... hehe.

I had another great time. So many plots and plans. I look forward to seeing what we run into on the road to Bridgeport. And the RP conversing has been fun too. You guys are great.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

doomdragon6 said:
Hey Shawn, found a buttload of pogs.

http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/loc ... hp?catid=4

It says it has all the monsters and has zip files of every alphabet letter, plus pogs for various other things.

Plus, there are places to find unerlays for floor tiles and stuff like that. Don't know how necessary that is, though.

More things to use as decorations: http://rpgmapshare.com/index.php?q=gall ... OISSES_PMT
Shawn, this post. Lots of pogs, you find what you want and you put up what you need.

To make things more of a surprise, you can drop them in the gametable folder, scan for new pogs and they'll appear instantly and we won't be able to see the pogs ahead of time.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Thank ya. If you guys have suggestions to improve the game for you please let me know.
As far as characters doing things that might be considered "against the party" I understand that sometimes an alignment and personality might dictate how a character reacts to things like treasure or information.
There was a lot of concern about Adia's actions. She made the ultimate decision to tell others about the crown she swiped, but I don't want Faline to feel she has to do that simply because the other players don't like it.

So I leave you guys with this. Really consider how your character would react and why he/she would try and keep information or items from the rest of the party (because I will ask you to explain). Is it within your character's nature to be greedy or suspicious of the people in your party? I assume it's pretty clear that you had all decided when you started that treasure would be split equally amongst you. So if your character does decide to try and take something without mentioning it, and someone finds out, they have every right to be upset.

But at the same time, if this is the nature of a character I want the other players to understand that it's not meant to be personal. If it becomes a consistant problem and it's ruining the game for others then an intervention with the guilty player will be made. I will point out however that I love poetic justice. Anyone who makes a habit of beating others to the loot will probably eventually wish they hadn't.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Yea, I apologize for overreacting. I guess I've only ever played characters with a strong sense of camaraderie with the best interests of the party at heart. If Adia's supposed to be greedy, then she can be greedy. But the rest of the party has to get some gear sometime. :)

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Most capable GMs will find a way to balance gear anyways. I have no doubt something useful will drop for each of us the next few sessions. To me what matters is excitement and fun and had a blast tonight. (loved the skeleton moment)

I think we should all have most of our macros ready for next week though, they are amazingly efficient and make things go faster. I usually am tweaking them after turns so that I don't make people wait too long the next time.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gusto said:
Yea, I apologize for overreacting. I guess I've only ever played characters with a strong sense of camaraderie with the best interests of the party at heart. If Adia's supposed to be greedy, then she can be greedy. But the rest of the party has to get some gear sometime. :)

wouldnt a mafioso be angry that someone wasn't acting in the best interests of the whole? if one of your made men was stiffing the don on a big score he would just be whacked. no insight check required.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gurpel said:
Gusto said:

wouldnt a mafioso be angry that someone wasn't acting in the best interests of the whole? if one of your made men was stiffing the don on a big score he would just be whacked. no insight check required.
:rofl:

Yeah, generally, but a mafioso would also be used to people trying to get the upper hand on others within the organization. And remember, Errik is still trying to kick that way of thinking.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Speaking of acting for the benefit of the whole, Gurpel, get your dice macros set up for next week please :p.

I'm looking forward to Doom's summary, although I wander if he'll keep it up constantly since he's gonna have 3 games going a week.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Yo yo, homies!

I'm visiting my girlfriend (holy crap he has one!?!?) this weekend, so intarweb time is limitedish. I'll have a summary up by Saturday or Sunday night. Or I might do it in a few minutes. Who knows. =P

Anywho, here's my take on loot/exp: Everyone shares gold equally, except in circumstances where a party member sells equipment he/she has been using. However, unclaimed loot that we decide to sell should be distributed among the party. As for exp, we all gain it together anyway, but I feel like if one of us is absent they should get the exp anyway, simply to keep things even. Plus, chances are if someone doesn't show up, it's due to obligations.

I'll keep doing the summaries unless someone else wants 'em- I'm in 3 games, but for the exact same reason I'm in 3 games, I can do summaries. (Too much free time). :rofl:

Everyone's asleep 'n I'm bored-- I'll make a summary right quicklike.

Oh! I just want to apologize again for all the interruptions. I know they have to be annoying as hell, but I really do try to avoid them. If it weren't for my outgoing lag I'd speak up more, but more often than not I'm afraid to cut someone off. Anyway, just want you guys to know I'm really sorry about 'em and if I could fix it I would. :(

Summary time! (New post)

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

The battle against the summoned Vicejaw was off to a fierce start! The Dragonborn Kratash swooped in for a critical strike against the creature's health. The others proceeded to pelt the monster with their attacks, daunted by the sheer physical endurance of the beast.

Then, with a swift blow, the Vicejaw disappeared into thin air! Had they defeated it? Was it un-summoned? Nay, the news was not so good for our adventurers-- they watched with awe as the dust on the floor shifted about, indicating some kind of movement-- the beast was invisible!!

Thinking quickly, the group spread out to prevent escape and began flinging water from their waterskins to weed out the creature's whereabouts. Adia was the luckiest (or perhaps unluckiest), finding that the water she'd flung crystallized in mid-air and shattered upon the floor right in front of her. She mere feet from the deadly Vicejaw.

The party did their best to fight the invisible monster, but hitting what you can't see is not an easy task. Before long, a shroud of shadows radiated out from the vicinity of the beast as a large pair of jaws lashed out and grasped poor Grendmir, dragging him back to the darkness from which they emerged.

The battle raged on, the party making their best efforts to damage the monster. Soon the shadows vanished and Grendmir was released. The beast appeared to be on its last leg, and was soon rendered to its knees by the brave adventurers. A final bolt of chaotic energy put the beast to rest.

Elated to finally be freed, the captured girls threw their arms around each adventurer in a mighty embrace. Alas, the group was not out of the woods- er, cave, just yet. Adia decided to scout ahead, taking efforts to move as silently as possible. Rounding the corner, she spotted several figures heading their way. As she reported her findings to the party, the dragonborn in the group recognized the conversation as being about the sudden silence. Assuming the worst, the party geared up for battle.

Errik, however, plotted a cunning strategy. He and a few others would lure the approaching kobolds in with the sounds of their kin in need, then open up with various area-of-effect attacks.

The plan worked perfectly. The kobolds rushed in, armed for a fight, and were immediately greated with face-fulls of fire, courtesy of the halfling wizard, followed shortly by a dragon breath and whirlwind attack from the others. The kobolds had barely a chance to react before more than half of their forces had fallen.

Finally realizing what was happening, the kobolds dropped their weapons in surrender. It then dawned on the party: perhaps the kobolds had not intended to be hostile in the first place. They had, after all, fallen into a trap.

After a lengthy conversation with the kobold leader, it was discovered that the kobolds had not kidnapped the missing trio after all. They had wandered in looking for the lost dragon's treasure. Responding to the potential threat, the kobolds had taken them hostage to use for their summoning ritual. Furthermore, the Vicejaw, which lay dead and desecrated in the corner, had not been their intended effect.

While Adia deigned to deliver the two girls back to their homes, the rest of the group had the remaining kobolds show them the way to the underground river entrance. The realization that they had slaughtered what were mostly peaceful creatures deeply fazed some; others strode on, undaunted.

Upon reaching the den where the group was initially attacked, Errik was suddenly overcome by some uncontrollable force-- a drive if you will, which led him to discover a secret passage of which he could have not had any previous knowledge. This passage led to a room with but a single interesting thing in it (or so the party thought, anyway): there was a bed with a crowned skeleton lying in it.

Kratash, being the fortuned-loving dragonborn that he is, went immediately for the crown. As he reached for it, however, the skeleton sprung to like, grabbing the scaled warrior and whispering unto him that which sent shivers down the spine of all who heard: "He is returning... The Devourer..." before collapsing to the bed once more.

Before the group could take time to process these new circumstances, the sorceress Serin looked up as a sickening splortch! eminated from the ceiling. She had just enough time to realize that a Green Slime was descending upon her before she was covered in the acidic ooze. It stung and burned her flesh, but she could feel her wild magical powers lending resistance to the creature's effects.

With naught much else to do, and taking to heart the old adage, "Kill it with fire," Errik immediately doused the creature (and poor Serin) with a scorching burst, sizzling the gelatinous ooze and eliciting a cry from the woman trapped within. Kratash, being a much kinder soul than the halfing, rushed over to help Serin shake off the ooze, which burned him as well.

The gesture was appreciated and successful, shaking the ooze from Serin's body. Alas, the goop had not decided to end its meal so quickly and latched right back on. The halfling continued his onslaught, quickly lowering the health of the ooze and likewise the health of his trapped compatriate.

The ooze latched onto Kratash after being shaken off once more. Its health failing, however, it was easily slopped off and blasted into nothingness by the cleric of the group.

Having had enough adventure for one day, the team decided to head back to town, where they were welcomed with open arms to free services at the inn.

The next morning the adventurers were hailed as heroes, and well-met with the town's man-in-charge, a sturdy man by the name of Drake. He offered the group advice on where to head next, as well as agreeing to leave the kobolds underground in peace provided that they stay to themselves.

Errik, proud to be called a hero for the first time, glady played up the adventure and showered fireworks over the town to spell out the name "Loreno." The town would surely not forget that name for a long, long time.

The party, wanting for bigger fish, decided to head for the city. South it was!

------------------

Personal notes for my character: She feels like shit for the kobold incident and now feels like she has to make it up to them someday. Furthermore, she will be thinking long and hard over the value of life and assumptions made.

What this means game-wise is that her attacks will probably now default to knocking sentient, somewhat-civilized beings unconscious instead of killing them. I saw in the Player's Guide we have that choice, so she'll probably do that, and decide to kill/restrain them afterwards.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Good summary, Doom.

My characters personal thoughts: We did what was necessary. It was regrettable, absolutely, and it's a shame all this occurred due to a misunderstanding between the kobolds and the humans. But maybe next time they'll try returning people to the surface or something. Hopefully Zane will keep his word and the kobolds will be left alone. I have a feeling we'll be heading back in Westbrook's direction someday. We'll see how things turned out if we check on our little friends underground.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gusto said:
Yea, I apologize for overreacting. I guess I've only ever played characters with a strong sense of camaraderie with the best interests of the party at heart. If Adia's supposed to be greedy, then she can be greedy. But the rest of the party has to get some gear sometime.
Apology accepted. However, let me clarify: it has nothing to do with greed. Adia is a hunter and scavenger, she sees something and strikes quietly and quickly. She doesn't do it out of spite or avarice. She is a creature of the moment and acts accordingly. Now, does this mean she's always going to gank everything in sight? Hell no. Does this mean she is going to ask the party's opinion or ask for their permission before she does something? Double hell no. This isn't World of Warcraft, people. She is a fully realized character in my eyes and I act her out accordingly.

Remember the halfling quote about "what are you half of?" Yes, that was in character. Her intelligence is 8, but her wisdom is 16. Intelligence in D and D deals with book smarts, history, and magic. This elf grew up in a secluded forest with her family of elves. She never had to pick up a book in her life or learn about the history of anything other than the Yuirwood. Does this mean she isn't smart or clever? Nope. Simply uneducated. She knows more about the wild and survival than most of the characters in this party will ever learn, but that doesn't make her smarter than them either. So, remember everyone, when I am in character I act my character out as closely to my concept of her as possible. Nothing is personal and her actions are never ooc.

You will get your armor and items, I promise. And if Adia sells an item, she will split the money fairly with the party. We're level one and she's just getting her gear together, so if she finds something she wants and feels would suit her, she's gonna go for it. Very simple. :slywink:

Gurpel said:
You know what? Adia isn't one of Errik's family's henchmen. This party was thrown together for varying purposes and there is no real leader or any reason for Adia to feel like she has to coalesce to anyone in the party except for maybe Serin or Grendmir. Serin: because she is the one who she met up with first and felt she had a connection to via their obviously similar problems. Grendmir: because they share the front lines together and she likes his quiet nature that reminds her of her brother. So, just drop it and think in real IC. Your character, Gurpel, is lawful good, so your -character- can get as pissy/whiney as he wants, but out of character I don't want to hear a damn word. Keep it separate, okies?

Ooooother than that, I had a wonderful time and look forward to the next session. :D Hugs and kisses!

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

1. sorry if i came off overly pissy or whiny, i dont like being stiffed on loot (I realise this isnt what happened, but for a while it looked that way), but i got over it before the end of the game.

2. okay heads up i will argue about anything that is kind of my mo on these boards.

okay lets start.

first, i am 90% sure you have the wisdom/intelligence thing way wrong. int is like... IQ. wisdom is the "book smarts, history, and [divine] magic" (arcane magic IS int) not int. let me transcribe the description in nwn2:

int: "intelligence determines how well your character learns and reasons"

wis: "wisdom describes a characters willpower, common sense, perception and intuition, whereas intelligence describes the ability to analyze information. An "absent minded professor" has low wisdom and high intelligence. A simpleton with low intelligence might nevertheless be perceptive. (if he has high wisdom) The wise character is capable of intuitively understanding others, occaisionally having insights into their motives."

that said, who knows it might have radically changed since 3.5 and i could be wrong

never ooc
oh okay, sure thing queen bitch the kobold patter.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gurpel, I'm not going to get into a cock fight with you regarding game definitions, etc. Neverwinter Nights 2 is not a D and D handbook, so I'm laying it down right here.

Intelligence (INT): Intelligence is similar to IQ, but also includes mnemonic ability, reasoning and learning ability outside those measured by the written word. Intelligence dictates the number of languages a character can learn, and it influences the number of spells a preparation-based arcane spellcaster (like a Wizard) may cast per day, and the effectiveness of said spells. It also affects how many skill points a character gains per level, the Appraise, Craft, Decipher Script, Disable Device, Forgery, Knowledge, Search, and Spellcraft skills, and bardic knowledge checks.
Wisdom (WIS): Wisdom is a composite term for the characters enlightenment, judgement, wile, willpower and intuitiveness. Wisdom influences the number of spells a divine spellcaster (like clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers) can cast per day, and the effectiveness of said spells. It also affects Will saving throws, the Heal, Listen, Profession, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival skills, the effectiveness of the Stunning Fist feat, and a monk's quivering palm attack.

And, yes, I patted the kobold in character. And I smugly referred to myself as Queen Bitch in character. If you want to argue, go do it with someone else. I come here strictly to discuss the game and read up on what's going on. My time is too valuable to waste on back and forth banter on an internet forum; I've said my piece so everyone could get a bit of clarification on details from the last game and did so rather well. End of story. :uhhuh:

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Gurpel, I'm not going to get into a cock fight with you regarding game definitions, etc. Neverwinter Nights 2 is not a D and D handbook, so I'm laying it down right here.
first of all i'm not trying to prove anything about my e-peen here. that number 2 point was meant more as a "don't take me so seriously" than a "back off"

second, i was under the impression nwn 2 used dnd literature. i dont actually have access to the 4.0 handbooks so-

Intelligence (INT): Intelligence is similar to IQ, but also includes mnemonic ability, reasoning and learning ability outside those measured by the written word. Intelligence dictates the number of languages a character can learn, and it influences the number of spells a preparation-based arcane spellcaster (like a Wizard) may cast per day, and the effectiveness of said spells. It also affects how many skill points a character gains per level, the Appraise, Craft, Decipher Script, Disable Device, Forgery, Knowledge, Search, and Spellcraft skills, and bardic knowledge checks.
Wisdom (WIS): Wisdom is a composite term for the characters enlightenment, judgement, wile, willpower and intuitiveness. Wisdom influences the number of spells a divine spellcaster (like clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers) can cast per day, and the effectiveness of said spells. It also affects Will saving throws, the Heal, Listen, Profession, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival skills, the effectiveness of the Stunning Fist feat, and a monk's quivering palm attack.
alright, so, basically the same as my definitions?

If you want to argue, go do it with someone else. I come here strictly to discuss the game and read up on what's going on. My time is too valuable to waste on back and forth banter on an internet forum;
oh, my bad. i'll go ahead and stop forcing you to type stuff, then.

;)

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

"Your party encounters the dreaded Drama Llama. :tina:

Before you have a chance to react, he casts Confusion on your party, causing them to attack each other mercilessly.

The rest of you stand around, not sure how to handle the situation. What do you do?"

"I wanna do a :Leyla: check."
"Alright, go ahead."
*roll*

You succeed! You successfully manage a :Leyla: .

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

doomdragon6 said:
"Your party encounters the dreaded Drama Llama. :tina:

Before you have a chance to react, he casts Confusion on your party, causing them to attack each other mercilessly.

The rest of you stand around, not sure how to handle the situation. What do you do?"

" a__a d__ a ___ che__."
"What was that? I cant hear you you're choppy"
"I sa__ I __nna __ :Leyla: __ck"
"Yeah we cant hear you speak up maybe?"
"___ you __ys"
hi, my name is gurpel, and i am a douche.

"hi gurpel"

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Ha. :tongue:

I can't hear what I sound like to you guys, and unfortunately there's no way for me to fix it.

However, I do hear my voice come over your speakers when you have the talk button pressed about 5-7 seconds after I say something, so that's the only way I even know I have lag.

To summarize:
Sorry for interruptions, lag, choppiness, and whatever else. :D

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

doomdragon6 said:
Ha. :tongue:

I can't hear what I sound like to you guys, and unfortunately there's no way for me to fix it.

However, I do hear my voice come over your speakers when you have the talk button pressed about 5-7 seconds after I say something, so that's the only way I even know I have lag.

To summarize:
Sorry for interruptions, lag, choppiness, and whatever else. :D
It could be worse. We'll work with what we got. People can also write out instructions, which I do try to pay attention to whenever possible.

As far as any one taking things personally ooc, I hope we can get beyond that. I want to encourage character development. There are a lot of people out there that are saying that 4th Edition sucked all the RPing out of the game, and to them I want to give a hardy laugh and the bird. You guys are doing a great job taking the situations I've created and interacting with them and each other. I think there is a lot of fun to be had with conflicts both with the world and in the party itself. As I get used to how you guys play, and once I get more organized there are going to be plenty of options for people to expand, grow, and become more powerful. Everyone will have their moments in the spotlight and their chances at fame and fortune.

The campaign is coming along nicely. We've already got you guys involved in some epic happenings whether you recognize them or not. As you guys put the pieces together on some puzzles, other ones will fall in your lap and broaden the mystery and scope of the adventure. At least that's the goal. Adia and Serin's pasts have given me something to work with, but I've got some things planned for everyone that should widen some eyes. Many of you are new to the D&D universe, which has me giggling with delight because I can pull out some famous locations and characters and get totally new and unjaded reactions.

Edit: Oh and nothing personal about the comic I submitted on the website. You guys brought up a funny situation and it's better for everyone to get a laugh at it and move on.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

*rofl* I love you Shawnacy. Seriously.

<3 I love the comic and I love your DMing skills even more. Can't wait for next Thursday! :slywink:

Status
Not open for further replies.