Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game! (Thread allowed 30 pages)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

SeriousJay said:
Export that macro Gusto, me want! :quote:
FINGERQUOTES HUH

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Do you want me to PM you my saved XML file?

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

As OCD and psychotic as it seems, it would be nice not to have to go to the character sheet for every skill roll and every added effect of each at-will/encounter/daily.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

SeriousJay: It would actually be easier to just make your own macros then. :rofl:

In GameTable, go to the Dice Macros tab on the left box. Then at the top toolbar, click 'Dice' and 'Add Macro.'

Here, just name it (Example- AT-WILL Scorching Burst (Int vs Reflex) ), and then put in the die roll, as such (minus the quotes): "d6 + 4" or whatever your modifier(s) would be.

Veddy shimple.

Escushion: It's not OCD. It's so, so, so, so, so useful. I didn't bother making skill checks and whatnot, but being able to click a button to do it for you and know it didn't make a mistake is nice.

If you guys want, send me a PM with your Character Builder files (so I can access the character sheets with power cards and know the proper modifiers) and I'll make them for you. Otherwise, g'luck makin' 'em!

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

What's gonna be painful is when I hit level two and have to adjust everything by one.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Do I really come off as girl-like. >_> Really?

*plays his Minotaur barbarian character instead*

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

As far as how everyone meets up, that's entirely up to you guys. While I'm not up for the traditional "Tavern Meeting" either, sometimes finding something that will bring the party together on something is not only difficult to accomplish with amazing results, but also probably revolves around a little meta gaming when it comes time to decide if you shouldn't part ways after the starting adventure is over.

So to make things easier on everyone, just assume you have met up in the city of NewHaven and have since left to pursue an adventuring career (though your characters obviously have different reasons to be out in the world than just "adventure", it's as good a start as any). The details of how you met, what you were doing when you met, and what made you decide to work together is something you can put together between now and whenever.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

That's fine; we'll fudge it as we need to with meetings and such. I'm sure you have NPCs and all lined up in thought. I just don't want it to turn into WoW with dice; that's why I was pressing for how we all get together. It'll all work out.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Usually it's best to use your backgrounds as a starting point.
Most of you have reasons to be out where you are. Be it using your religion as a way to make up for your past sins...or... in the Halfling's case, using religion as if he's some Born Again who's huge list of sins are immediately wiped clean the moment he says a prayer. Adia seems like a leader type. Serin and Adia are the ones who seem to have the most focused of goals and should probably have specific reasons why they have joined together. Though a thought has occured to me.

Perhaps Adia's search for what caused her brother to go mad has brought her to the city of NewHaven where she believes he may have stayed for a short time. She follows a lead and visits a boarding house where she discovers that Feriel shared a room, often conversed, and eventually left with a "woman" named Bertrow. This would have happened not long before Feriel returned home, and not long after Serin's family was attacked and killed. Call it incredible luck, coincidence, or fate, but this revalation is also made by Serin at the same moment who followed the trail the possible traitor of her family, Bertrow, to this establishment.
This gives the women of the party a common goal, and that is to find Bertrow who seems to be the link in both their current problems.

Though I do like to be involved in progressing storylines for characters, I'll get both your approval on this one first.

The others have a little less focus in their lives and may need very little reason to pack up and join someone who is already on a mission of sorts. While helping these women may not be the primary reason they are assisting them, as they may simply appreciate a group of like-minded individuals out to right wrongs, explore, or find fame and fortune.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I like it! I know I'm not attached to that story at all, but I can sorta fudge a reason why my halfling would want to follow Serin.

If Serin recognizes the Loreno name as the mob that she has had troubled dealings with in the past (making a connection here...) then it follows that Errik, on his first step towards trying to make amends, would want to help her out in the name of his family.

Tensions might be high at first, allowing for some good RP hooks, but Errik is earnestly trying to be a better person. :)

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

BTW:
I haven't really come across any actual map of the 4th edition core world (I don't think it's traditional Greyhawk anymore), so for the most part it's just going to be made up as we go along. I know some people have chosen some locations that may or may not already exist in the books, and that's perfectly fine. Just keep in mind that distance approximation is very fluid right now.

A bit about the world: The world has been in a constant state of flux. Two thousand (or so) of years ago the Dragonborn where the dominate beings. Then Tieflings threatened their rule and a huge war occured. Both forces were nearly wiped out. A few hundred years later Humans and Dwarves banded together and forged a new world. Then a dark era came as the heavens themselves fought a massive war with the world caught in the middle. All races paid dearly. So here it is, a thousand years later and the world is healing. The wilderness has taken back most of what it lost during the human progression, and wild beasts and monsters are common place. Societies band together and have started spreading out slowly again.

Cosmology: As per 4th edition rules.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

That's all pretty unimportant to me since I've only ever played/DMed in homebrewed "worlds".

I should add, just for the sake of seeing connections where there may not BE any, that in the game I'm DMing wherein Errik is a minor NPC, the Loreno family is currently operating in a small elven forest settlement kinda like the one Adia comes from.

Dun dun DUNNNN.

*continues asserting himself into everyone's backstory/motivation*

Nah, seriously, it's up to you guys if you wanna go along with any of these ideas. I just don't like the idea of my character "spinning in the void" without any connections to any other characters, and I REALLY like the idea that some PCs or NPCs would have heard of my family, and assume the worst of me.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

bleh. you guys know how i said i would write something before thursday? i lied. Sorry. writers block, you know? that said though, i have a pretty good idea of what Kratash's backstory will be.

To summarize:

Kratash was born with red scales, though his father (the tribe's chieftain) was brown and his mother yellow. (i am assuming dragonborn scale colours are a genetic trait) Though he never said anything about it, Kratash's father always remained distant from his bastard son. On the day of Kratash's 15th birthday, when he was supposed to undergo his coming of age ceremony, the chieftain refused to perform the part of the father in the ritual. Realizing that there was no place for him in the village, Kratash set off that night, with only clothes, boots, and a bow for hunting.

i will add more / edit it later

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

I'm fine with those connections, as I don't have any better ideas. Both of them looking for Bertrow makes it so it's not just a singular person's goal, and if Serin worked for a mob, it might as well have been Loreno's. Still up to Faline for her approval I guess.

Some details:
- Serin worked for the Loreno mob for a month, set to be paid at the end of the month. Guess which mob got broken up just 3 days before her pay. :unibrow: Another reason to hound Errik.

- I'll leave Bertrow's stuff up to you. Either way, he needs to have joined up with Paladins and Clerics (very likely from the "dark" side) either by cutting a deal or by disguising himself as a figure of power. He would have convinced them that the changelings are demons of some sort, or a threat, or whatever. His class can be anything, but a powerful magic type seems most suiting. Serin believes/hopes her family to be alive (she only saw them captured), but that's up to you cuz I don't care. Probably more convenient for them to be dead.

A possible idea: Similar to the 'boat to island' idea from before, all of our characters can be coming to NewHaven on a ship, for whatever reasons (already somewhat discussed). On the boat, they could have all talked amongst themselves in whatever excuse for a social hangout the ship has (making it so we don't have to talk about things we already know). They all plan to part ways (except maybe Adia should she agree), but the ship is ambushed by (weak) sea creatures just before docking, or stow-awayed goblins attack or something. This would give our group a sense of unity, by already talking some and being brought together as a team working together in battle. The 'help-for-hire' type could join simply because they sense a cause or a need for purpose. Errik would want to stick together, seeing that it could lead to more good deeds, etc.

This starts the game off with a battle (to get people aquainted with the system) and starts off exciting without potentially awkward RP, and gives us a reason to stay "new to each other, but familar."

Seems like it'd work to me. Up to you guys.

Only 4.5 hours away, wooo.

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Well you can always make your own. I don't know where to get more, though.

Google:

Just gotta cut each and every one out. Oy.

Edit: Oh neet, the top 4th from the left (top right orange) looks like Serin!

Also, can get art here to make your own. http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4arch/ag
Time consuming though. I found a place that sells a collection of .pngs, but you have to pay for that, so it's poopy.

Edit 2: More

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Shawnacy said:
Perhaps Adia's search for what caused her brother to go mad has brought her to the city of NewHaven where she believes he may have stayed for a short time. She follows a lead and visits a boarding house where she discovers that Feriel shared a room, often conversed, and eventually left with a "woman" named Bertrow. This would have happened not long before Feriel returned home, and not long after Serin's family was attacked and killed. Call it incredible luck, coincidence, or fate, but this revalation is also made by Serin at the same moment who followed the trail the possible traitor of her family, Bertrow, to this establishment.
This gives the women of the party a common goal, and that is to find Bertrow who seems to be the link in both their current problems.
Approved! Sounds fabulous to me, and yes, Adia is a very "leader" type character.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

guess who did the single largest hit in that game? I DID

rolled a 26 on my daily for 3d12+4. Massive.

so far i am liking DnD.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Firstly, thank you Shawn for being our DM, you were very patient and great at what you were doing. :)

Secondly, good job everyone, while the start took a bit of time, I could tell as the night went on (and the macros started being done) that things were more fluid... until the crocodile blew our minds...

*the guys who critical misses an attack on a corpse* :/

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Bitch I did a 32.

Well, I would have.

Fucking GameTable gives low rolls. More often than high rolls. >_>

ANYWAY it was funzors. Looking forward to next week!

Our loot so far:

Exp: 100 exp each
Gold: 3 gold and 38 silver each
Sapphire: If we go ahead and convert it to currency (like if we exchange it first thing at a town automatically), it's 200 gold, or 33 gold and 33 silver each.

4 health potions, already distributed
1 Bracer of Mighty Strikes, to Adia

Anyone wanna write a summary of what all went down? =P I assume journals can cover it, but technically they can't write them until the croc is defeated.

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

SeriousJay said:
Firstly, thank you Shawn for being our DM, you were very patient and great at what you were doing. :)
seconded!

Secondly, good job everyone, while the start took a bit of time, I could tell as the night went on (and the macros started being done) that things were more fluid... until the crocodile blew our minds...
i was probably the major offender here. i had to ask what to roll what, 4 times? lol.

*the guys who critical misses an attack on a corpse* :/
you mean the guy who couldn't beat the reflex save of a corpse :rofl:

doomdragon6

Staff member
Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Yeah I still call bull doo-doos on the missing of a corpse. It's against reflex-- you CANNOT miss it. :rofl:

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

With a roll like that, I was lucky I didn't burn myself at failing to launch that attack. :)

Shawnacy's 4E D&D Game!

Assuming that an inanimate, unheld object has a dex of 1 (giving it a -5 mod) it would have an auto Reflex of 5. (10 minus 5).
The attack roll did manage to hit 5, however he rolled a 1 doing it, and a 1 ALWAYS misses. So yes. His holy bolt from God missed the unmoving corpse.

Status
Not open for further replies.