*sighs, turns over "DAYS SINCE LAST MASS SHOOTING IN AMERICA" sign to 0*

Yeah, ok, they egged him on the day before and cheered as it happened and now 12 people are dead.
... Yes? They cheer every single anti-social that comes through the /b/-like boards. They cheer on when people talk about committing suicide. They cheer on when people plan bomb threats. They cheer on when people dox and harass random targets. It's not unique to 4chan, or to *chan boards, or even English boards. Remember Marcus Jannes and Flashback? Elliot Rodgers and PUAHate? So on so forth.

It's also not new.

Mass shootings are being reported more, but aren't increasing in actual number, really.

Granted, the measurement ends in 2010, but it's not like the whole "huge surge in mass shootings" rhetoric is only 5 years old or less.
Some context:

Dave's graphic claims nearly 300 mass shootings (4+ injured or killed by gunfire) this past year. A resource for historical numbers (2.75 years' worth) according to this definition here: http://shootingtracker.com/wiki/Main_Page

USA Today (and the FBI) have a different definition, by which we're at around 18 shootings this year. This has data for the past decade (up to today): http://www.gannett-cdn.com/GDContent/mass-killings/index.html#explore

Looks like GasBandit's graphic (http://www.boston.com/community/blogs/crime_punishment/2013/01/mass_shootings_not_trending.html) uses the FBI definition, so the website above should allow you to see the continuation of that trend (select shootings as method, and type year in filter):

2006 24
2007 20
2008 27
2009 24
2010 19
2011 24
2012 22
2013 24
2014 18
2015 18 thus far

Years overlapping with GB's graphic match, at least from where I'm standing.

It's already a meme, here's a derivative announcement about shooting up the University of Edinburgh:

Police have already been contacted, it looks like. You can google "4chan 22808326" for relevant chatter. Edgy edgelords gonna edge. Hope they can v& the OP.

GasBandit

Staff member
Police have already been contacted, it looks like. You can google "4chan 22808326" for relevant chatter. Edgy edgelords gonna edge. Hope they can v& the OP.
My knowledge of anon lingo is years out of date, but I'm assuming v& is like b&, but instead of getting banned from the messageboard, you're banned from life because the cops put you in a van?

My knowledge of anon lingo is years out of date, but I'm assuming v& is like b&, but instead of getting banned from the messageboard, you're banned from life because the cops put you in a van?
Aye. It's pretty old jargon. From what I can recall, it originated back when the FBI PARTY VAN meme was beginning to get stale... I'm guessing late 'naughts? Fuck I feel old.

It's not even worth commenting on any more. Because barring taking action none of us have the authority to take, and no one in in actual power has the balls to, nothing of substance will be done.

And the inevitable WARGLBARGL will spiral into the usual "Enough already!" "We need guns to fight the big bad gub'mint!" "No more dead kids!" "You're all suckers in a target rich environment!" "FALLACIOUS ARGUMENT!! FALLACIOUS ARGUMENT!!" carousel.

Killing Christians is likely as true as it was at Columbine. This guy had 8 minutes to question and shoot 30 people.[DOUBLEPOST=1443810854,1443810819][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm pretty sure they've done that in the past already.
But in the past they were branded terrorists for ordering pizza.

GasBandit

Staff member
CNN is shit.

Sheriff: "I will not name the shooter and give him the notoriety he wanted."
CNN Anchor: (without even a split second pause) "We do know the identity of the shooter, his name was..."

Whew, CNN Dodged a bullet. Now they can cover every aspect of the shooter's life and when that starts running dry they can begin the masterbatory stories about how they covered the story. Thanks to this anchor they can avoid anything resembling journalism for weeks!

Pretty much. Instead of taking time to research and verify and develop a story, news is just grabbing the choicest bits and chunkin' em downrange like a redneck in a pumpkin patch.

Yeah, I think we're all in agreement: the 24-hour news cycle made it so you didn't have time to research anything... if you weren't talking about it already, you weren't getting views and thus not getting paid. It doesn't help that they have to fill time whether there is news or not, so we often get crap disguised as news.

CNN is shit.

Sheriff: "I will not name the shooter and give him the notoriety he wanted."
CNN Anchor: (without even a split second pause) "We do know the identity of the shooter, his name was..."
I do not want my news providers censoring themselves at the direction of the police and the government.. I'm surprised, GasBandit, that you are even implying that CNN should do so. You're slipping ;)

Not that CNN even approaches the journalistic standards of FYI.

I do not want my news providers censoring themselves at the direction of the police and the government.. I'm surprised, GasBandit, that you are even implying that CNN should do so. You're slipping ;)

Not that CNN even approaches the journalistic standards of FYI.
National News reporting on mass shootings increase the chances of whither mass shooting happening in the next two weeks

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

National News reporting on mass shootings increase the chances of whither mass shooting happening in the next two weeks

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Would you limit free speech to protect against gun violence? Gassy doesn't even want to limit gun ownership for that cause.

GasBandit

Staff member
Would you limit free speech to protect against gun violence? Gassy doesn't even want to limit gun ownership for that cause.
Free speech doesn't mean you aren't a shit for what you choose to say. And I never said to censor CNN, I said they were shit. But I know you're just straw manning my argument because you think it's funny to pull at my political strings.

Did you see the figures?
(from Poynter)
"Addressing reporters, Obama crowdsourced a data journalism request-- brilliantly:"
President Obama said:
I would ask news organizations, because I won’t put these facts forward — have news organizations tally up the number of Americans who’ve been killed through terrorist attacks in the last decade, and the number of Americans who’ve been killed by gun violence, and post those side by side on your news reports.
Here's CNN's take (after they finally collected some numbers):
GunViolence.png

--Patrick