*sighs, turns over "DAYS SINCE LAST MASS SHOOTING IN AMERICA" sign to 0*

I know what broadcaster 2 is *trying* to say, but of any event where there is more than 2 or so occurrences of it in all history, there is a "typical." When broadcaster 1 said it wasn't a "typical shooting" he/she meant it was not consistent of what one would expect from a shooting. Broadcaster 2 is playing into the whole "omg there's so many shootings now and I don't like it" sophomorism du jour that ignores what has been shown over and over again - there are not any more than there has been previously, they just get SO much more coverage.
Ehhhh, there's conflicting information on that. A quick websearch for stats seems to suggest that mass shootings are happening more often, not less.

Part of the reason for the conflicting issue is whether you consider 4+ killed and wounded to be a mass shooting, or 5+. The numbers alter fairly drastically between the two.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ehhhh, there's conflicting information on that. A quick websearch for stats seems to suggest that mass shootings are happening more often, not less.
It depends on what your date window is for comparison, as I've posted earlier in this very thread.

GasBandit

Staff member
That makes my pedant-sense tingle.
In fact, exactly 1 page ago, Tinwhistler posted about it, more recently than me. From his post:

The number of incidents is more or less level since the 70s, but if your frame of reference starts at the 90s, all of a sudden there does seem to be an increasing trend since 2000 or so. The plain fact of the matter is that the 90s had a remarkably low crime rate overall, compared to both before and after it.

Of course, that's if you only count incidents with 4+ fatalities as a mass shooting. If 10 people get shot but no one dies, is that not a mass shooting? I mean, by that definition, the attack on the Colorado Planned Parenthood facility isn't a mass shooting because only 3 people died.

GasBandit

Staff member
Of course, that's if you only count incidents with 4+ fatalities as a mass shooting. If 10 people get shot but no one dies, is that not a mass shooting? I mean, by that definition, the attack on the Colorado Planned Parenthood facility isn't a mass shooting because only 3 people died.
True enough, there's a lot of kibitzing over what constitutes a "mass" shooting, exactly. 3 people? 4? more? Number dead, or wounded/both?

Anyway...

The more I read about San Bernardino, the more it looks carefully planned and executed, not a spur-of-the-moment thing. Three guys, equipped with rifles, wearing ski masks and tactical vests. They burst into a heavily trafficked building, start shooting, plant a bomb, then quickly escape in a black SUV. They didn't stick around to engage law enforcement, they didn't issue a statement, there's no obvious political angle, and nobody is claiming responsibility. It seems unlikely (or at least uncommon) that someone wanting to kill a certain person specifically would enlist the help of 2 other people, so it seems more likely the location was the target rather than any specific person there? But whatever it turns out to be, this is clearly not a crime of passion or insanity. This was a calculated act of malevolence.

Oh, those useless Republicans and their platitudes. Good thing no other politicians ever do this kind of thing after a trage--

omghilary.jpg

(emphasis mine :megusta:)

Dave

Staff member
And after all of this it turns out to be nothing more (!) than an elaborate...workplace shooting that just HAPPENED to be in this place.

GasBandit

Staff member
There's a teensy bit more to it than that. It didn't "just happen" to be there.

Two of the suspects died later in a gun battle with police. These two suspects were a Syed Farook and his wife, both muslims, who left their child with a relative then shot up the christmas party for Farook's employers (the county health dept) that they were having in a rented conference room at the center.

Might it be starting to quack enough like a duck? Maybe they were going for someone in particular, but the timing and circumstance sure are oddly coincidental.

Also apparently the number of suspected (and destroyed) explosive devices is now 3.

GasBandit

Staff member
It could be both. Not crazy to think that a semi-radicalized person could go postal.
TMZ (not the most reputable of sources I'll grant you) is saying an anonymous source in the police dept is telling them that apparently Farook was attending the party, and there was some kind of heated disagreement, and either he was kicked out or stormed out. The nature of that conflict isn't known. So that lends creedence to the "workplace violence/gunning for someone in particular" angle... but there was a whole lot of preparation that went into this, which also points to premeditation, which makes me think the place and time was not a coincidence.

Dave

Staff member
It's almost like the guy went to the holiday party knowing he was going to start shit. Like he was going to confront someone about something (denied promotion, denied raise, racist comments, stapler missing, etc.) and knew what the outcome was going to be. It is both a premeditated act and a workplace shooting. The two are not mutually exclusive.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's almost like the guy went to the holiday party knowing he was going to start shit. Like he was going to confront someone about something (denied promotion, denied raise, racist comments, stapler missing, etc.) and knew what the outcome was going to be. It is both a premeditated act and a workplace shooting. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Well, apparently I was being too subtle. I was not saying a workplace shooting couldn't be premeditated, I was saying that it might not be coincidence that he chose the office christmas party as the time and place for his moment of dirka dirka mohommad jihad.

I have to say, to me at least, this really has 0 hallmarks of Islamic terrorism and 100% of the characteristics of someone deliberately going to kill their boss and colleagues. Perhaps because Farook felt discriminated or put up on or whatever because of his faith but that otherwise seems to have absolutely no bearing on it.

I think the Jihadi-or-not discussion probably needs to be tabled until the police investigate more. This could completely be a case of it, but there's no publicly-known hallmarks of it yet (jihadist rantings online, screaming God is Great while killing people, known radical connections, etc.)

Well, apparently I was being too subtle. I was not saying a workplace shooting couldn't be premeditated, I was saying that it might not be coincidence that he chose the office christmas party as the time and place for his moment of dirka dirka mohommad jihad.
The simplest solution is that he choose it because he knew most of the office would be at the party and could thus get as many as he could. That it was a Christmas party might be irrelevant. We won't know unless they have a manifesto or something.

GasBandit

Staff member
The simplest solution is that he choose it because he knew most of the office would be at the party and could thus get as many as he could. That it was a Christmas party might be irrelevant. We won't know unless they have a manifesto or something.
Might be. Still very notable coincidence.

I think the Jihadi-or-not discussion probably needs to be tabled until the police investigate more. This could completely be a case of it, but there's no publicly-known hallmarks of it yet (jihadist rantings online, screaming God is Great while killing people, known radical connections, etc.)
Too late for that. Waaaaaaay too late. Fox Noise was in full fearmongering mode this morning.

GasBandit

Staff member
...He's Muslim, and he shot a bunch of people? If that's all that counts, we've had a lot of "terrorist attacks" already. A work shooting or a family murder-suicide or stuff is the same no matter who does it.
You guys sure are bending yourselves into pretzels not to talk about the elephant in the room. The primary motivation may have been to get back at his boss or whatever, but it sure smells that doing it at the christmas party was the icing on the baklava.

This sort of rampant PC pretense is why Trump's poll numbers keep going up no matter how many mexicans he calls rapists.

Dave

Staff member
If it was workplace motivated, then his religion does not matter. Like at all. And to bring it into the picture at this point is premature and wrong on several levels. And they specifically called it a "Holiday" party, not a Christmas party. They were being inclusive.

Of course, if it ends up being religiously motivated...oy vey.

You guys sure are bending yourselves into pretzels not to talk about the elephant in the room. The primary motivation may have been to get back at his boss or whatever, but it sure smells that doing it at the christmas party was the icing on the baklava.

This sort of rampant PC pretense is why Trump's poll numbers keep going up no matter how many mexicans he calls rapists.
I'd hardly call it bending myself into pretzels. I'm just not going to jump onto a bandwagon when the Christmas party connection and their faith and ethnicity are literally the only things that suggest this might be religiously motivated. Like I said, the Christmas party has factors in and of itself that make it a good target. It's the obvious time to attack if you want a body count and if you work there, you have a good idea who is going to be there. It's really just the perfect time.

That said, I'm not going to guess at motivations ether. There is still a guy out there on the run (last I heard anyway) and it's not like we've found a manifesto yet or safe house full of terrorism related stuff like training manuals and such. I'd rather wait until we break this guy and hear what he thought it was about or until we find some actual evidence saying why they did it.

His poll numbers are going up because there's a lot of Americans out there who actually think all his generalizations about minorities are real and are ecstatic to find a GOP candidate saying what they've always thought.

If this guy is a radical, he's a radical. He and his wife killing folks may still be completely unrelated.

Dave

Staff member
CNN is reporting the guy was radicalized, but that "workplace grievances" were also a factor.

Personally, I don't buy that it's both. Pick your narrative, CNN.

It could fairly easily be both. He could have been radicalized, and was planning something, but then someone at the party made a remark that set him off in a work-rage kind of fashion, and he went home and told his wife, "Fuck it, let's just do this now", and then they did.

Dave

Staff member
It could fairly easily be both. He could have been radicalized, and was planning something, but then someone at the party made a remark that set him off in a work-rage kind of fashion, and he went home and told his wife, "Fuck it, let's just do this now", and then they did.
That actually makes a lot of sense considering how much stuff they left behind. They were planning something but then he blew a gasket here.