[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

So i saw DUNE p2, and i got to say, the lack of the Spacing Guild during the ending really took something out of it. The Chani stuff only deviated in any way that matters (*sure, it was a bit heavy handed, but it was in keeping with the themes*) at the very end, but taking out the Guild kind of removes half the point of teh book.

Does anyone know if they got any funding from any oil interests ?

No wonder Lucasfilm passed on this for Star Wars, it's just shittier, edgier Star Wars.
Frankly, i didn't even feel it was a shittier SW, it was more like a shittier, edgier version of those late 70's, early 80's SW-clones.

Last edited:
Argylle

It's a movie filled with actors that I really like but sadly the movie just didn't pay off for me.

I feel like the Kingsman formula has had diminishing returns for me on each additional film he has made in that style.
The trailers look great but movies don't quite meet expectations.

Kung Fu Panda 4
As far as movies go it’s not a terrible film. As far as Kung Fu Panda movies go it’s really put a stain on the franchise. Especially if this is the final film of the franchise, then it just finished in a whimper.

the first thing notable is just how little budget they worked with here compared to the other films. The animation feels like a drop in quality but it’s not a huge distraction, so I’ll give them that. It’s clear though that the majority of the budget didn’t have to worry about casting as right in the first ten minutes of the film we get the exposition that the Furious Five are “away on a mission” and are absent pretty much the entire film except for the quick two minutes they return at the end and “coincidently” do not speak. Jack Black and a very not into it Dustin Hoffman are here at least. Ian McShane is back as Tai Lung as they establish that the new villain is stealing Kung Fu from previous villains (which if I’m not mistaken is basically just the plot of the third movie), which is made even more frustrating because they don’t bother to bring back Gary Oldman and JK Simmons to voice their respective villains despite their (now silent) presence in the film. It was like the makings of a huge epic final chapter where the budget got in the way and they ended up just making a full length episode of the TV show instead.

The new villain is fine but she suffers from the poor script. I kind of wish she was the one they used for the third film instead of General Kai, since their plots are basically the same but she’s a far more interesting character.

it was disappointing. There isn’t much else to say about it except that this movie series deserved better.

Last edited:
Timecrimes (2007)

Watched this for the first time this afternoon. Always heard great things about and...meh? I didn't particularly care for it. It felt like a neo-noir, simplified version of Primer.

And holy shit, if you're a woman character in this movie, prepare to be treated like shit. It's incredibly objectifying towards the two women in this, whose seemingly only purpose is to suffer. The one that suffers the most doesn't even get a name.

I honestly don't understand why people liked this one so much.

It's also possible my experience was soured by watching this on Tubi. The multiple commercial breaks, often at the worst times, really broke my immersion.

Trolls: Band Togther

Its a fun little Trolls movie, nothing extraordinary, but definitely still enjoyable, and...DEFINITELY not Dreamworks worst 2023 release(*COUGH* Ruby Gillman *COUGH*).

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire
I grew up watching the original film nearly once a week for a full year. I’d use my marble track construction sets to make a poor man’s proton thrower toy and pretend I was in the film too. I was also addicted to the series and rarely missed an episode. It was the best thing on TV at the time in my opinion.
So I’m delighted to say that Frozen Empire feels right at home with an episode of The Real Ghostbusters. While I enjoyed Afterlife it was missing something for me which was an exploration of a supernaturally rich world. Afterlife just brought back an old enemy and gave the impression that ghosts only exist when Gozer is involved. But Frozen Empire opens the world up again to new possibilities. The baddie in this one would fit right in with spectral alumni from the cartoon like Samhein and The Boogie Man.
Every character feels properly used here. There were quite a few to follow but it didn’t detract from my enjoyment at all. Even Bill Murray’s cameo feels well placed and plot perfect.
I highly recommend this one.

DreamWorks Turbo

Rocky but if he was a snail , and instead of boxing it was NASCAR, weirdly pretty good!
Close, Indy car. But your review is otherwise on point. I don't think it's one of DreamWorks better films, but it's not their worst.

I keep forgetting this movie exists until my son finds it on Netflix. Also, it's weird to hear Ryan Reynolds NOT trying to sound all Ryan Reynolds-y.

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire

To quote the kid from The Incredibles: "That was totally wicked!!"

I love that we have two totally different Godzilla franchises right now. Japan making ones with more meaning to them, and the American one that is just pure spectacle. It's like pro-wrestling but with kaiju, not unlike the old Showa Era.

This one was no exception. It's all boom, bam, crash, blast, roar and I loved every minute of it.

The technobabble sci-fi and fantasy elements are completely ridiculous, but that's no different than the old Showa Era. It's a bunch of made up gobbledygook to line up the kaiju for the big fights. Does it all make sense? Nah, but it's all silly enough that I just didn't care. The bad monkey has a crystal thingy to control another thingy? Okay. Godzilla is going around the world absorbing radiation (and glows pink) because he can feel a bigger threat coming? Sure, why not!

I had a blast because I went in expecting big, dumb spectacle and that's exactly what I got out of it.

Last edited:
Saw Love Lies Bleeding earlier today at the theater.

I dug the hell out of 99% of it. It's grim, gritty, gory, and not a single character is a "good" person. They're either morally grey or bankrupt. It makes for a glorious crime drama.

The only reason I say 99% is there's a fantastical element right at the tail end of the movie that kills it a bit for me. I get what they were going for, but for the gritty, grounded movie up until then, it didn't work for me.

Aside from that, the performances are all top-notch. By far, Kristen Stewart's best work to date, a star-making performance from Katy O'Brian, with some excellent supporting work from everyone else involved, like Ed Harris, Anna Baryshnikov, and Jenna Malone.

I wish I could discuss the movie, especially the ending, with someone else who saw it. But I don't want to post ending spoilers on here, even a spoiler cut, because I think it should be seen.

Godzilla X Kong
If you’re looking for a giant monster movie where the plot is just to get them to fight and to see a bunch of cool looking scenes then you will not go home disappointed.

Hailey had a big smile on her face and give me a very enthusiastic “yes” when I asked if she liked it. So 11 year-old approved.

Poor Things
A fascinating film that I feel is actually much more pro-female than it might seem at first glance. The dark implications that Bella is the mind of an infant put into an adult’s body that experiences her sexual awakening soon after is not lost on me, but it does not seem to be the focus the director intends you to retain through the film. (Much in the same way you are not intended to focus on the implication that anything deemed “a toy” could obtain sentience in the Toy Story 4 universe, including adult toys). The focus here is that due to her situation, and through the scientific raising she receives from her “father”, Bella goes into the world with an an adventurous and inquisitive mindset that makes her question everything, including any prejudices and expectations that may be enforced on women in this world. This puts her in control of her own life and, for the most part, there is never a point where she is not in control of her own destiny. Yes there are men who choose to exploit and take advantage of her, but they succeed only because she wishes it for the sake of exploring herself and her world. When she’s done with them she walks away from that life and doesn’t look back except with the mindset if it being a past experiment. She speaks her mind and questions “polite society” and its insistence on ignoring things outside of themselves. She adapts and evolves quickly in this world, so I don’t tend to focus on the dark implication mentioned earlier. In the end Bella becomes more adult than any other adult in the film.

I was also fascinated with the art direction of this film. It feels very AI art inspired. Even at times the characters themselves feel like they are part of the art.

Last edited:
My daughter had to watch a movie for a college class, and looking at the list we thought we’d watch it together and picked American History X.

Me and my wife have seen it before, but my daughter hadn’t. God damn. 25 years later and it could easily have taken place today. It’s definitely a tough one to watch, but I’m glad we watched it together.

Killers of the Flower Moon

Damm good. Absolutely brilliant, in fact, and derserving of every award. But holy shit, I wanted every white character in this movie to die a fiery death. They were all so villainous, treating Osage lives like nothing. All for what? Money and land? Fuck them. Fuck every one of them.

And the sad thing is, in real life, the two main men involved in this outlived Mollie Kyle by a long way. Penniless to the end of their life, but still. It's not right.

figmentPez

Staff member
Mortal Engines

Despite the low scores from critics, I enjoyed this one. It's not a masterpiece, but the visuals are fantastic, and there are some great moments.

Last week: Formula 51 (2001) (a.k.a. "The 51st State")

Been threatening to show this movie to my wife for aaaages, finally did so last week. Never did manage to track down a physical copy (never tried very hard, either), but it is available on Crackle, so we watched it there (with soooo maaany aaads!). This was also my first time seeing the FULL movie, since the last time I saw it was when it came out on cable television after its theater run, and when I found it, it was already something like 15-20min into the film. For anyone who hasn't seen it (which I imagine is most everyone who reads this post), it is the story of Elmo McElroy (Samuel L. Jackson), a chemistry genius who, hamstrung by a mistake he makes early in his chosen career, decides to give the middle finger to his employer and make a load of quick cash through the creation and sale of a special blue drug of his own design, a drug 51x stronger than any other, and...what? You've heard that song before? Well, not like this, you haven't. Spoiler alert: McElroy's employer, "The Lizard" (Meat Loaf), survives the attempt on his life (ok not much of a spoiler since it happens in the first 15min or so) and sends Dakota Parker (Emily Mortimer) to go send his copper-jacketed regards to McElroy in England, where McElroy has gone to meet Felix DeSouza (Robert Carlyle) to set up his deal. But of course that's when hijinks ensue. Because, among other things, now The Lizard wants McElroy alive.

And there are plenty of hijinks. We have McElroy being a fish (and chips) out of water in England. We have DeSouza working for (and with) some of THE dumbest criminals EVAR. We have a love-business triangle. We have an extremely casual attitude towards property value and certain human lives. We meet DeSouza's mom. And then there are the skinheads. Did I mention the skinheads? There's a lot of really ridiculous stuff going on in this movie, which I generally describe to people as an absurd Black Comedy/Heist hybrid. Because that's literally what it is, and by the time the third act rolls around and everyone has gotten done double-crossing each other, your inner 13yr-old will still be hurr-hurring at watching Samuel L. Jackson run around an otherwise ordinary-looking Liverpool while wearing a kilt (commando or not? He never tells...) and schlepping a bag of golf clubs. There are even what I assume are references to The Warriors (1979) and The Matrix (1999) that I didn't catch the first time through. Word is that it didn't do very well at the box office, but I'll still sing its praises to ya if you're a fan of movies like Hudson Hawk (1991), Drop Zone (1994), or Grosse Pointe Blank (1997). Also Emily Mortimer's character is hot*.

This week: The Full Monty (1997)

"If you're going to make me watch Robert Carlyle in this, then it's only fitting next week we continue this trend and I make you watch Robert Carlyle in The Full Monty." These were my wife's last words regarding the above movie. Well, I'd never seen it (big surprise, I know), and so I had an entire week to, er, prepare myself to watch what I assumed was a 90min AAA-grade chick flick. And while it absolutely is something I would put in that column (because at its heart it's all about "relationships" and "feelings" and "family" and there's not a single explosion to be had through the whole thing), if I had to sum up the entire movie in one word, that word would be "adorable." Gaz (Carlyle) is a dad who has lost his job. He's not a particularly good nor responsible dad, but he definitely knows that he is a dad, and he tries to do dad things with his son (which go poorly), until his ex, tired of Gaz' halfassery, files for sole custody unless Gaz can come up with the £700 for his half of the child support payments or whatever. Gaz now needs money in a hurry, and he remembers how a bunch of Chippendales' dancers filled a club with eager women, so he gets the brilliant idea to put on a show, a show where their ace in the hole is that, unlike those dancing dandies, they will give their audience the "full monty" (i.e., total nudity) and proceeds to sell that idea to a handful of his former coworkers, plus some others recruited Mystery Men-/The Commitments-style with the promise of their own share of this "easy money."

Now most of you are deeply rooted in Western cinema tradition, with movies like The Bad News Bears, Major League, or Necessary Roughness, where our plucky heroes overcome their individual differences and train hard for about a month and somehow pull together to beat Evil Team Smugface through a combination of sheer grit and whimsical bumblefuckery, but this movie is...not that. And, to its credit, it is "not that" in what eventually becomes the most humble, genuine way possible. I will not spoil the ending for you, but by the time we learn how the movie earned its title (accompanied by the most appropriate song for the situation, I might add), the victory condition is no longer about the money, it is about the people we met along the way. Y'see, while we were watching Gaz' machinations unfold, we were also being introduced to people...people whose lives we got to peek into, people who might've started out as merely "Gaz' mates" but who develop into distinct characters of their own by the end of the movie, people who all end up having their own reasons for completing their journey. The Wikipedia article on this movie states: "Despite being a comedy, the film also touches on serious subjects such as unemployment, fathers' rights, depression, impotence, homosexuality, body image, working class culture and suicide," and, in typical British understatement, this sentence is absolutely 1000% correct. You go into this movie thinking it's going to be about Gaz getting his son back, but that's like expecting a(n American) Thanksgiving dinner to be about getting some cranberry sauce.

It's a "chick flick," sure. And the dialogue is difficult to understand at times if you're not used to the accent. But the acting is rock solid, the soundtrack is killer, and IMO the underlying message(s) completely justify sitting through the entire picture, alone or with friends.

--Patrick
*This sentence included for bhamv3's benefit.

The 51st State is actually one of my favorite films that I've never seen fully from beginning to end. It's popped up on TV multiple times, and I'll always watch it when I encounter it, but yeah, never seen it from beginning to end.

And yes, Emily Mortimer is hot in that film.

I have literally never heard The Full Monty described as a chick flick.
It's a great movie, and it's humorous and romantic and such so I can see where you're coming form, but....Never considered it like that, and never heard it thought of like that.

GasBandit

Staff member
I have literally never heard The Full Monty described as a chick flick.
It's a great movie, and it's humorous and romantic and such so I can see where you're coming form, but....Never considered it like that, and never heard it thought of like that.
When it came out in 1997, a movie whose premise was "men become strippers" was so very firmly considered a chick flick that anyone with testes who went to see it was under suspicion. Slightly less so if they could claim their wife/gf "dragged" them to go see it.

See also: Brokeback Mountain

I don't remember it being described as a "chick-flick" either. I remember it became a huge pop culture reference, and because the guys weren't "traditionally handsome", it seemed like it was played for laughs for guys.

There are CFs that are (stereotypically) CFs "because Beefcake," and there are CFs that are CFs because they focus on the relationships between the characters (especially when all the protagonists are female) and their growth over time, the motivation behind the characters' actions, the romantic tension, e.g. You've Got Mail / Mystic Pizza / Romy & Michele's High School Reunion / Thelma & Louise.

I went in expecting Full Monty to be a CF because of the title and the (USA) poster setting up that Beefcake-esque/thirst expectation, but once the movie got going, I realized it was something else--something I still saw as being under the CF umbrella, though. Just a different section. If anything, it's almost like the movie was designed to appeal primarily to women BUT then encourage those women to drag their sigother to watch it with promises of, "C'mon, it's got stuff you'll like. Trust me."

--Patrick

Last edited:
Argylle finally hit Apple TV so I decided to watch it.
I was a little bored honestly. Several breaks taken to go do other things before returning to the film. All of the plot twists were predictable and underwhelming. I like these actors quite a bit but they seemed underused.
Sam Rockwell is great as usual but I've seen him play this role before in a lesser-known film of his called "Mr. Right" where he is a hired assassin who teams up to protect Anna Kendrick's character who is far less defenseless than you think she should be.
To say something nice about the film I can say that I enjoyed the action and the disco that they played with it.
What on earth the stinger at the end of the film means about anything I have no clue. Apparently they are going to make a movie version of the fake spy that the movie Argylle's real spies are based on? Sure. Have fun.

Argylle finally hit Apple TV so I decided to watch it.
I was a little bored honestly. Several breaks taken to go do other things before returning to the film. All of the plot twists were predictable and underwhelming. I like these actors quite a bit but they seemed underused.
Sam Rockwell is great as usual but I've seen him play this role before in a lesser-known film of his called "Mr. Right" where he is a hired assassin who teams up to protect Anna Kendrick's character who is far less defenseless than you think she should be.
To say something nice about the film I can say that I enjoyed the action and the disco that they played with it.
What on earth the stinger at the end of the film means about anything I have no clue. Apparently they are going to make a movie version of the fake spy that the movie Argylle's real spies are based on? Sure. Have fun.
That's too bad. It had looked like a fun film in the trailer. I'll still give it a try (hey, it's free!) but go in with lower expectations.

The best way for me to describe Argylle is that I enjoyed it, but I also enjoyed all the Transformers movies, so that should give you an idea of the level of quality Argylle is at.

Watched Argylle. It was okay. There was some stuff I liked, but there were also many problems. I agree with @Shawn that the plot twists were underwhelming. There really wasn't any emotional weight to them, it was 'Oh, okay." and move on. Which especially didn't make sense when, for example:
Elly thinks her parents have been killed. She didn't even react when Aidan says "they aren't your parents". She was still "Elly" at this point, and she had shown way more emotion over her fear of flying than of her parents who may not actually be her parents being apparently dead on the floor.

Wasn't fond of the romance subplot. It came across as a shoehorned "Female main characters must have a romance!"
Since Argylle was her avatar and Wyatt is Aidan's, and she wrote them as best friends, then it made more sense that Elly (in her real life as Rachel) and Aidan would have been BFFs, too, not romantically involved. Elly said at the beginning that she was 'married to her work' and that would have made sense for Rachel's life as a super spy.
It really is okay if a female main character is happily single--I promise the world won't end.

The ending was kind of a mess.
The 'dance number' fight scene with the smoke bombs was tonally out of place. I think because they made it 'romantic', which didn't work for me (see above). I'd have rather it had been a demonstration of Elly "finding herself", so to speak, and set to a kickass song. And the 'ice skating' scene was just ridiculous, and not necessarily in a good way. I mean, points for following the "Chekov's gun" rule, but it felt really forced. And then the end is a literal mess when our heroes blow up an oil tanker full of oil rather than call in the nearest navy/coast guard to deal with the bad guys (it's an oil tanker, it's not going anywhere fast!) and cause an environmental disaster. Um... yay, heroes?

The best part is the cast and their interactions, and there were some good moments here, but their talents are very much underused. The story had potential, but it's... underwhelming. I enjoyed the first half of the movie more, when it was about a spy novel writer being pulled into a real-life spy story and hilarity ensues.

IDK about the stinger either. Seems to be an attempt at a Kingsman tie-in?

tl;dr; I don't regret watching it, but I'm glad I didn't buy it.

The best way for me to describe Argylle is that I enjoyed it, but I also enjoyed all the Transformers movies, so that should give you an idea of the level of quality Argylle is at.
I think that's why Argylle is so disappointing. It has a great cast and could have been a great movie, but they squandered the talent and gave us a half-assed Transformers movie instead. See also: JJ Abrams and the Star Wars sequels, JJ Abrams and the Star Trek reboot.

I went to see Civil War and it was not as good as I wanted it to be. I knew what it was going in, I was excited for it, but i felt kind of let down. It definitely had a vibe it was going for, but it didn't feel like it was executed well, except in a couple of spots.

It being a Kingsman tie in was the only thing the retroactively saved the more goofy parts, and even then it was just as a ok well I guess this makes sense now since it's apparently set in that world way not in an earned way.

It being a Kingsman tie in was the only thing the retroactively saved the more goofy parts, and even then it was just as a ok well I guess this makes sense now since it's apparently set in that world way not in an earned way.
But here's the thing. WAS it a Kingsman tie in?
At most the credit stinger happens AT a pub called "The Kingsman's Pub". The Kingsman main base of operations is a tailor shop, not a pub. No one in the pub has any name relevance to anyone from the Kingsman movies. It's just when the young man introduces himself as a young Argylle that we get any relevance to the movie we just watched at all, showing this as a prequel to events that happened to the movie fictitious character portrayed in Elly's books. And not making it seem like he was a real person, but like this is just an adaptation of her very first book that she wrote.
At most the name of the pub is just a cute nod to Vaughn's other spy series.