[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

I guess. But I'm not seeing it. I hate these films that are supposed to be connected with no evidence that they are. They are in London and Europe for a good part of the film and yet no Kingsman intervention in anyway? How many of these spy organizations are running around completely unaware of each other?
I'm not arguing for or against that it is, just sharing what I'd seen about it. I agree the tangential nature is not something I want to see more of. It's particularly hampered in this case since there are even a few actors that now play dual parts in the universe. Definitely felt like a way to tie Argyle's anchor to Kingsman's, at this point I feel like, sinking ship.

The Fall Guy
Having never seen the original show that inspired this, I had little to no expectations going in. This turned out to be one of the most fun movies I’ve been to in a long, long time.

The acting is delightful. Both Ryan Gosling and Emily Blunt are in top form, and they have some great chemistry. Gosling especially shines as an “aw shucks” kind of character who is just trying to live his life after a rough patch.

The real star is a tight script that knows how to keep pace but also pause for important character moments. Nothing feels wasted, there are no moments that fall flat, and there are some masterful callbacks to earlier points in the film that really make it feel like the many setups have a worthwhile payoff.

It’s got comedy, romance, action, and swagger. I recommend anyone and everyone go see it.

I've watched the series, and it was in the same vein as shows like A-Team and MacGyver.
i.e., fun to watch, but wouldn't exactly call it "cerebral."

--Patrick

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes

After War of the Planet of the Apes, I didn't think any more follow-up movies were necessary. The modern Apes movies were phenomenal. I wasn't necessarily against a new movie, I just didn't think it was necessary.

But I'm glad a new one was made because this might be better than some of the previous trilogy. I'm not sure where I'd rank it, but I can definitely say I dug the HELL out of it. They've perfected the mo-cap on the Ape actors. I love the locations and scenery with cities now completely overgrown with plant life. The movie starts on top of what's left of an old building, with plant life taking over.

The new character to take the lead over Caesar is interesting enough, but the actor is no Andy Serkis. Other characters, especially the villain, are far more interesting. Most of the movie is a journey just getting to the villain's kingdom, which is a shame because I kind of wanted more of him. There's also a surprising amount of focus on a particular human character.

I get the feeling I'll like this more on repeat viewings. One of these days, I need to rewatch the previous trilogy, as it's been awhile. I don't think I've rewatched War since seeing it in theaters (and it was my least favourite of the three, which seems to go against popular consensus).

But this one? This one is worth seeing if you're a fan of the franchise.

Abigail
I have enjoyed the outings of this directing team with Ready or Not and the last two Scream movies. They have fun with horror and that’s exactly what Abigail is. Just a lot of fun. If you haven’t seen anything promotional for this film I just recommend seeing it without any kind of plot description. Just be prepared for gore and wtf moments a plenty.

Abigail was absolutely let down by it's advertising.

They basically only showed scenes from the final third of the movie in the trailers so I spent the entire first half of the movie waiting for the vampire stuff to start. It treats it like it's a surprise but the trailers ensured it wouldn't be.

They basically only showed scenes from the final third of the movie in the trailers so I spent the entire first half of the movie waiting for the vampire stuff to start. It treats it like it's a surprise but the trailers ensured it wouldn't be.
Sadly the film probably wouldn’t have done as well if it were promoted any other way.

Dave

Staff member

Like I've always said, sometimes trailers give away WAY to much. My favorite example is Thor: Ragnarok. It would have been so cool had the Hulk burst out in the theater and nobody knew about it. Instead, they had to ruin that in the trailer. Word of mouth that there was a surprise would have been amazing.