[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

But he is Ivan Reitman's son. Ivan directed the first two Ghostbusters. So yes it still very much is honoring his father's work.

And while Ramis could never have given his permission for his likeness to be used in the film after his death it is clear that his family did. Like them I would like to think that Harold would be honored to know that he would be added to this film in the manner that he was.
It's probably one of the few franchises that could get away with something like this, honestly. In the way it's set up within the universe, I mean.

You should find it funny, sure.

But saying it made you feel empty sounded a bit too hyperbolic, that's all.
Understandable, but it was legitimately how I felt at least to me. The plot moved too slow, the good jokes felt few and far between, and the brief energy I gained from the end scene fan service barely made up for the lack of energy given through out the special.

You can tell when writers don't care anymore, and it feels as though Matt and Trey haven't cared for years .

Reactions: Cat
The fiancee is recovering on the couch, which means she and her Mom are watching an endless stream of Hallmark Christmas movies. There are a couple movies that I think are okay, but I just can't suspend my disbelief enough for the others. Sure, maybe the girl's flight gets diverted from Cleveland to Kentucky. That happens. Perhaps the widowed Dad she meets is able to support himself and his precocious daughter with an artisanal candy cane business. Maybe the kindly old man at the coffee shop is Santa in disguise.

But a small Appalachian town with a thriving economy? And that DOESN'T have Confederate flags, meth tweekers, or MAGA racists? That's just crazy.

I had The Sound of Music on in the background while I did things last night. It's not really my favorite, but my grandmother loved watching it and I was feeling nostalgic.
Enter Mr. Z:
"What are you watching?...oh, I know this movie." *pause* "I forgot it had Nazis. And nuns."

...honey, what the hell movie did you watch?!?

GasBandit

Staff member
I had The Sound of Music on in the background while I did things last night. It's not really my favorite, but my grandmother loved watching it and I was feeling nostalgic.
Enter Mr. Z:
"What are you watching?...oh, I know this movie." *pause* "I forgot it had Nazis. And nuns."

Probably My Fair Lady or something :p

Enter Mr. Z:

Mary Poppins?

I think modern movies have destroyed my brain. Everything I've watched, outside of some A24 weirdos, has bored me to death.

I watched the 80s Dune the other day and was fucking enthralled. Everything about that movie is perfect. PERFECT. The last unwatchable third of that movie? PERFECT! Patrick Stewart taking a pug into battle? Perfect. IT'S PERFECT. Kyle MaCGLHUUHGfkh's goofy ass riding the worm? PERFECT!

Give me objectively bad but interesting looking and feeling movies over, and I hate to say this because I'm a lifelong Marvel boy, but Marvel movies for example. I'm stoked for that new Batman movie, because I have literally no idea what it's going to be. Will it be terrible? Probably! It might secretly rule too. I know what I'm getting every time with Marvel and it's gotten dull, to me.

So, Matrix Resurrections. It's good. Not as good as the original, better than the sequels.

Aesthetically, it doesn't have even a fraction of the style of the originals, though. Not having cinematographer Bill Pope or fight choreographer Yuen Woo-ping is a big loss.

Narratively, though, it might be on par with the first one, maybe even better. I love the themes in this one. This might be the beat acting I've ever seen from Keanu Reeves and Carrie Ann Moss. The years honing their craft really shows here. The rest of the cast are...okay.

The action is harder to follow in this one, honestly. The editing is more frenetic, with a lot more cuts. Still some really great action sequences, but they pale in style compared to even Reloaded and Revolutions.

The original trilogy, though, is dripping with so much carefully crafted style and slick choreography. And that's sorely missing. What we get instead is still good, don't get me wrong. It still looks and feels like The Matrix, just less carefully constructed or iconic.

Sing 2
People give this series a lot of hell and honestly I don’t get it. I had a good time watching the first one and I had an even better time watching the 2nd. The characters are fun. The humor is enjoyable and not cringey or bathroom related. The voice acting is great. And while the songs are all just covers I think they fit them in well and also have some fantastic scenes to go with them most of the time. Yeah it’s more geared towards kids but that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy them too.

Ron’s Gone Wrong

I wasn’t as pleased with this one as I would hope to be. The story is fine but it felt like it needed some better writing in places and some better family moment between the main character and his father and grandmother. You get some backstory about the dad but the Grandmother is basically just a comical character and I didn’t get many heartfelt moments from her. The inventor of the Bubble Bots also felt like they weren’t sure what they were doing with him. At one point he is excited that his code has somehow made Ron act in the way he intended it to (as if it were company goal tampering that ruined his friendship formula) but later it turns out there was no code installed in Ron and we don’t really know why or how a robot with no code whatsoever could become someone’s true friend. My calculator doesn’t have much of a code and I can’t make that thing even smile at me.
There are many good moments in the film so it’s not a terrible movie or anything. It’s passable but I don’t think I would rewatch this like Mitchells vs the Machines or Into the Spiderverse.

Last edited:
Sing 2
People give this series a lot of hell and honestly I don’t get it.
I think it's more about how "hackneyed" and "formulaic" it is, which is just a different way of saying those people complaining have been around long enough to have seen that formula dressed and redressed enough times to make them roll their eyes when they see it applied to (yet) another film.

--Patrick

I would have walked out of Matrix Resurrections but I watched it at home.

Wow, no words.
God-awful. That was SyFy levels of poor writing, FX and cinematography. Like why!! Why ruin one of the hallmark franchises of the 90s with this embarrassment?

Dave

Staff member
You’re the first person I’ve seen who disliked it. I’ll still give it a chance and then either berate you verbally or apologize.

You’re the first person I’ve seen who disliked it. I’ll still give it a chance and then either berate you verbally or apologize.
I'm having a hard time getting decent reviews for it. Most negative reviews seem to want to focus on "it's too woke", which is not necessarily a bad thing (it's scifi, people are allowed to be modern/progressive) but then casually throw in bad action scenes, bad writing, bad acting, and story collapse, and, well those I would like to know about.