[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

I think some shows come off better in small doses. I knew the plot and certain episodes, so when Comedy Central starting running blocks of Always Sunny... I figured I'd catch up. After a week of watching daily, I couldn't take it anymore. The horribleness was too much.

But I also had a similar problem with Arrested Development. I knew everything about the show even though I didn't watch it when it aired. A few years ago my friend suggested we binge the entire first season one weekend because my husband had never seen it. He ended up hating it, and so did I. I guess horrible people can be funny, but you really need a breather and a week in between.

When there's nobody worth rooting for I question why I'm watching it.
Sometimes the show creator is trying to make a point, and other times it's about wanting a chance to watch people who have it worse off than they do. And then there's Bojack Horseman (which I still need to see).

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I mean, it can also be done right.

Archer basically has everybody somewhere on the spectrum of being a shitty person to being a complete monster... and yet I had no trouble binging it. The reasons I started losing interest in later seasons were completely unrelated.

I think Archer works because it's so far over the top that it can't be taken seriously. When I'm watching something and think to myself "I've known people like this and there's a reason I don't spend time with them now", the whole thing goes out the window.

You guys are the reason why most films are the same basic plot.
Hey, El Norte is an absolutely fantastic film, but you don't walk away from it grinning ear to ear (...and if you do then there is something seriously wrong with you).

--Patrick

I mean, it can also be done right.

Archer basically has everybody somewhere on the spectrum of being a shitty person to being a complete monster... and yet I had no trouble binging it. The reasons I started losing interest in later seasons were completely unrelated.
I think Archer works because it's so far over the top that it can't be taken seriously. When I'm watching something and think to myself "I've known people like this and there's a reason I don't spend time with them now", the whole thing goes out the window.
I think this year's season finale actually put it best.

Archer (who is not okay and really shouldn't be in the field) basically tells them all to go fuck themselves, because all of them were using his presence to justify their own shitty behaviors and to ignore that he actually had a point (especially about Lana, her boyfriend, and what she did with AJ). That's AFTER he found out that Lana didn't tell AJ he was her father.

Onto Season 2 of my big Boy Meets World rewatch with the introduction of Mr. Turner, the cool teacher ("Feeny with an earing"). And oh god, the mullet. THE MULLET. Even 90s Superman sees this and thinks, "Whoa, too much mullet, man."

gallery-1428505192-boy-meets-world-turner-001.jpg

It feels like it has potential, that there are things it could be/could become that might redeem it, but I'd rank that trailer right alongside AfterMASH.

--Patrick

I mean, it looks like a bad Chuck Lorre show, but Jesus Christ, there's something deeply, deeply wrong about a show turning a man from a country ravaged by decades of war into a magical negro helper for the invading force.

I feel like, if some kind of miracle occurs, it could be a sort of modern Mork & Mindy... but I don't think that's gonna happen.

--Patrick

This story got wild. The soldier who's story this is (a Korean American by the why, not guy whitey shoot good) who met the kid who was his interpreter years later in Phoenix when he was an adult and working as a taxi driver had been shopping this script among many around. He's known they ripped him off wholesale since 2019.

Most of the interpreters promised amnesty in America were abandoned to die btw.

BIG EDIT - He's black, not Korean, I just saw the name Park and that he wasn't white and assumed like dipshit.

Anyways, here's his story.

Last edited:
Watching season 3 of American Gods. It's a sin this is hiding on STARZ. On episode 9 and the i love the hell out of this. I hope like hell we get season 4.

The real sin is season 4 would have wrapped it up. Season 3 was the only ending with a cliffhanger, and it is clear those who stuck with the show absolutely adore it.

Starz says maybe they will do a 2 hour mobie event, but I fear that will feel rushed. The best part of the show is how it expands and takes the time it needs to tell the story.

Yeah, I read that just before my heqd hit the pillow last night. I'm so glad they are dedicsted to finishing it somehow, it's been a marvelous ride so far.

Yeah, I read that just before my heqd hit the pillow last night. I'm so glad they are dedicsted to finishing it somehow, it's been a marvelous ride so far.
Hopefully it will be picked up by a streaming service I already have. Having to access to Starz has meant that I've only heard about this having read and loved the book twice.

Agree completely, Starz sucks and doesn't have anything that interests me othwr than AG. Instant cancelation after hearing they dropped it.