[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

Stranger Things

Well, that was a heck of a cliffhanger before the finale comes out in a few weeks. I've really been digging this season and it's been getting better and better with each new episode. The only thing I haven't care about is anything to do with the adults (Joyce, Hopper). Every time it goes to them, I roll my eyes and I'm like "No, go back to the kids!" It doesn't help that their entire B story feels like cleaning up from Season 3 more than anything to do with this season.

With the revelations at the end of the last episode, I decided to rewatch the show from the start. The kids are SO YOUNG. They're like babies compared to the current stuff. It's jarring to go back. I mean to do a rewatch before jumping into Season 4, but I got impatient.

The finale raised a few questions for me, though.

Did Eleven create the Upside Down or merely send One/Vecna there? Are the creatures we've encountered creations or extensions of Vecna or are they indigenous? One of the kids had a theory that Vecna was the Mind Flayer's general, but I think it might be the other way around.

Funny enough, I saw One's heel turn the moment Eleven was trying to pull the goober out of him. I said to myself, "Lemme guess. He'll smile and say "Thank you" and then do the heel turn." And that's exactly what happened.

With the revelations at the end of the last episode, I decided to rewatch the show from the start. The kids are SO YOUNG. They're like babies compared to the current stuff. It's jarring to go back. I mean to do a rewatch before jumping into Season 4, but I got impatient.
The kids are in their late teens/early twenties now. It's like Dawson's Creek casting.

After having gotten a closer look at the upside-down, I'm wondering what the deal is with that world. Was it inhabited by people like the real world at one point? Or was it always a dead world?

Star Trek Discovery: season 3 - about halfway through.

On the one hand, I think Star Trek's handling of time travel is an absolute atrocity, and it's one of the reasons I' bounced hard off Enterprise - it just doesn't make sense, even in-universe. It's BS. Time travel couldn't work like that. It's obviously all invented physics, but even so it has to be at least internally consistent, or clear about deliberate inconsistencies if you're going for a technobabble style SciFi. So them getting stuck in the 32nd century, ugh.
On the other hand, this has freed them up a bit to once again go exploring more-or-less unknown worlds in an unknown part of space(-time). Which is how I like my Trek.

So far I'm sort of on board with the story lines being told. I don't mind most of the stuff. A lot of it really doesn't bear thinking about, though. They jumped almost a millennium. A knight from the first Crusades wouldn't even be able to communicate with modern people, and while there are certainly things people did a thousands years ago that we've forgotten, a lot if it is junk. Shields withstanding several phasers blasts? When the Borg had phasers that just shot straight through "modern" shields 800 years ago? Come on. That their tech is even compatible is a joke. The "first" time travel stories had 24th to 326th century jumping. Because newer series are all prequels for some bloody reason, and because every time they're using time jumps they have to go further into the future to keep things separated, they're now up to a jump of 980 years. 200 years ago vs now, people are still somewhat the same; even though it'd be a hard adjustment. A thousand years? Come on.
I know that technically all planets everywhere being somewhat close in tech level in Voyager was also ridiculous, but it didn't bother me as much. Anyway, a sort of technically singularity level where after the rapid improvements of 19th-22nd century, every next step takes longer and longer is something we sort of have to write into ST canon and accept.

What I find very visible is how ST has evolved wit the time it's written. TOS solved most issues with American Action Hero effects. Knock a few aliens out, talk something that kind of makes sense, maybe bang a hot alien chick, resolved! With the occasional bit of thinking provided by Spock/McCoy/etc. TNG had the '90s "everything can be solved through diplomacy" approach. Technobabble aside, most issues they confronted were solved by mediation, listening to each other, and finding rational common ground, with some emotion thrown in. DS9 made a bit of a combination - some politics, sometimes diplomacy had to be continued by other means, and oh yeah, religion. And now DIS has moved to most issues they need to solve being solved with emotions and understanding and psychology etc. I'm not in favor or against any of those approaches, but it's very visible.

Last edited:
Also from Netflix (which may be taking over Roku soon but that's an entirely different story...):

Yes, Cristina Ricci will be in it.
I'm not sure about this. I mean, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to the premise? But I'm not so sure Netflix is going to do it justice.

--Patrick
Yesss! Made it all the way through the post without making the joke.

Also from Netflix (which may be taking over Roku soon but that's an entirely different story...):

Yes, Cristina Ricci will be in it.
I'm not sure about this. I mean, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to the premise? But I'm not so sure Netflix is going to do it justice.

--Patrick
Yesss! Made it all the way through the post without making the joke.
Will it be like this you think?

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm gonna be pretty grumpy if Netflix buys Roku and suddenly the Plex app stops working for it. I've got three Rokus that are 90% used as Plex interfaces for TVs.

Will it be like this you think?
I’ve seen those, and I can hope.

I almost want a show based around Wednesday to be something more like Bewitched!, but macabrious and spooky instead of goofy ol’ Uncle Arthur and scheming Endora. I guess what I really want is Addams’ Extended Family.

—Patrick

I wish I still gave as much a shit about the CW to deserve the "Yoshi livetweets the CW" tag. The Flash is on right now, and I could care less, even IF I like this season better than last one.

I wish I still gave as much a shit about the CW to deserve the "Yoshi livetweets the CW" tag. The Flash is on right now, and I could care less, even IF I like this season better than last one.
That whole mirror storyline just killed my enthusiasm. Ugh. And it's not helping that they're dragging out this thing with Iris. I just don't care anymore.

Also, they cancelled Legends. THEY CANCELLED LEGENDS! After introducing Booster Gold.
Beebo angry. :mad:

That whole mirror storyline just killed my enthusiasm. Ugh. And it's not helping that they're dragging out this thing with Iris. I just don't care anymore.

Also, they cancelled Legends. THEY CANCELLED LEGENDS! After introducing Booster Gold.
Beebo angry. :mad:
I KNOW-Don Faison was freaking PERFECT for the role, especially since that Beebo vid implied Zach Braff was gonna be in that season to.

And double on dragging it out, the biggest weakness of most prestige format shows is due to their prolonged length, they think they can stretch a single arc out as long as possible. Take season 5 of the Flash for example, on paper that story should've worked, but because they stretched it out for TWENTY TWO episodes it just ended up as insanely awkward television, especially with how lame a villain their Cicada was who was...not even CLOSE to comic book accurate!

Onto other TV, I've been watching the first season of "Crazy Ex Girlfiend" and god DAMN Valencia is just cartoonishly terrible. Like, clearly on purpose and it works for the story, but unless the pull a tragic backstory for her I want her to die. Once again, will let tragic backstory change my mind, but holy shit she sucks in season one.

Why is season one of "Crazy Ex Girlfriend" so damn long? Its clearly a 13-15 ep story stretched out to 18 eps.

Its not "The Flash" bad in stretchiness of story, but its up there.

Really been enjoying Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. Last episode was almost like a holodeck episode, but had some great scenes and I’m sure that the actors had a blast when filming it.

I'm quite enjoying it. What are you not liking about it?
It starts off really strong, but I found the middle section frustrating with several characters choosing conflict somewhat pointlessly. And, I know that characters being self destructive is part of the vibe of the show, but it just felt more forced this season. Also, I thought the endpoint of the season was a bit frustrating.

Dave

Staff member
It starts off really strong, but I found the middle section frustrating with several characters choosing conflict somewhat pointlessly. And, I know that characters being self destructive is part of the vibe of the show, but it just felt more forced this season. Also, I thought the endpoint of the season was a bit frustrating.
I absolutely loved the 8th episode.

The last episode of Strange New Worlds is everything I don't like about new Star Trek, the speed running of character development.

Not only is the doctor's daughter dealt with like an episode after it was last brought up, they even threw in the she's all grown up thing you would expect to happen like 3 seasons from now.

Otherwise it was a very classic cosmic being futzing with everything holodeck fantasy episode and was alright, probably my least favourite of the season so far.

I absolutely loved the 8th episode.
I did too. The season had largely sorted itself out by then. The issue I had with the end of the season came later.

The last episode of Strange New Worlds is everything I don't like about new Star Trek, the speed running of character development.

Not only is the doctor's daughter dealt with like an episode after it was last brought up, they even threw in the she's all grown up thing you would expect to happen like 3 seasons from now.

Otherwise it was a very classic cosmic being futzing with everything holodeck fantasy episode and was alright, probably my least favourite of the season so far.
That's fair. The show needs more strange new worlds and less focusing on character backstories.