[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

They need to be careful about how they deal with Piper, she's on the verge of becoming very unlikable. There's a difference between having a complex character (i.e. Don Draper or Walter White) and having a lead that people don't want to watch because of how unlikable they are.

I think she's supposed to be unlikeable. She's a stuck up, self entitled bitch. I don't feel like that last word is an insult on her gender, she just is. And being isolated and forced to face herself in prison is making her realize this more and more.

Some more observations about Hannibal. There is an inordinate number of primarily comedic actors in decidedly non-comedic roles.

Molly Shannon (best known for SNL) as the "mother" in an episode that after Sandy Hook (I think) was not aired on NBC.

Scott Thompson (Kids in the Hall) as the FBI finger prints analyst guy.

Dan Fogler (Mostly comedies but I remember him best from Balls of Fury) as Lecter's sad, desperate patient.

Eddy Izzard (though, not really fair to call him primarily comedic since he's been doing a ton of Drama for the last while) as a criminally insane surgeon.

It's also shot better than most movies. It's quite possibly the best looking show on TV.

I'll say this, I was not ready for the angel episode, that caught me like a punch in the jaw.

Last edited:
The imagery of that show is amazing, each time Will Graham hallucinated I thought I was tripping out. And did Hannibal really have bad ratings? How?! ITS AWESOME!

Tremendously bad (but I guess good for NBC).
AH, very true. I guess after "Do no Harm" most viewers lost hope in NBC producing a serious drama, which is also still airing surprisingly. Being aired at a time when no one is watching so NBC can pretend it doesn't exist, but still on TV.

I think she's supposed to be unlikeable. She's a stuck up, self entitled bitch. I don't feel like that last word is an insult on her gender, she just is. And being isolated and forced to face herself in prison is making her realize this more and more.
Exactly. One of the biggest parts of her character arch is realizing that what a horrible person she is.

Exactly. One of the biggest parts of her character arch is realizing that what a horrible person she is.
Horrible and Unlikable are two different things. You can have a horrible person and have them be an interesting and complex character. Currently thats what Piper is. I hope they keep that balance and don't just make her someone you don't want to see on the screen. Genji Kohen (or however you spell her name) isn't always good at keeping the complex stuff up, I hope she pulls it off here because Piper is an interesting character.

Speed thoughts on Sunday nights of terrible TV and Breaking Bad.

True Blood - Season Finale - First half, fucking anticlimactic. Second half, what the fuck? Still, Eric's last scene of the season made me bust up.

Dexter - Awful. Double awful now that I've watched Hannibal tackle similar issues with about 120 million times the intelligence and class.

Breaking Bad - Riveted, from start to finish. PERFECT ending to an episode leaving me ready for more.

Yeah for me the first season of True Blood is passable( a BIG passable) but I could not get into the second season. Swearing-sex-fighting-swearing-sex-fighting-lather-rinse-repeat- BLEH! Saw two or three eps of that season and could not stand it.

I'm on season four of Buffy right now, and I am wondering why the FUCK didn't they ever make an A.D.A.M action figure? He's a demon Frankenstein, he's got a cool robot voice, a retractable claw, thats action figure gold! He's the kinda character who kids would buy in the store and when asked who he is the kid could be all "Uh, I don't know" and they would never question it because the toy would look awesome.

I never got into either of those shows, don't why.

Finished season four of Buffy,
who else had Twin Peaks flash-backs when Willow was going through the red curtains?

I never got into either of those shows, don't why.

Finished season four of Buffy,
who else had Twin Peaks flash-backs when Willow was going through the red curtains?
I can never get anyone to watch Twin Peaks. It's great TV, damn you... I've even got the whole collection, take them! But no...

We've all been there "Hey, absorb this media I like!" "No thank you, but are you absorbing that media I told you to like?" "Yes, because I value your opinion and am not a ponce".

So Buffy season 5...Dawn annoys me. She's supposed to do that right?

Thought so. She kinda feels like a Sailor Mini-moon type character, the annoying little girl you know has some higher purpose but is still incredibly annoying to the protagonist and the viewer is left questioning why. Also both of whom brainwashed their host families into making the parents extremely lovable to them and yell at the older blonde sibling for being mean to them...I was really not expecting to make a Sailor Moon comparison to Buffy the Vampire slayer today.

I think Season 5 is my favourite of Buffy.
Even though I loved many episodes in season 6, if the show had finished at the conclusion of Season 5, it would have been the perfect ending for the series.

Of course, that was all because they thought that it WAS going to be the last season.

fade

Staff member
Just got around to watching this week's Breaking Bad. This was hands down the best episode of the series thus far.

I've been catching up on this season of Copper. Man, I keep mixing this show up with Ripper Street... I keep thinking when is the Pimp Doctor going to come around the station... oh yeah, wrong show.

Dexter

Three episodes left and thank Christ. Definitely one of those shows that's overstayed its welcome.

Also, I am shocked, SHOCKED...

....that Vogel has become Dexter's enemy. Shocked, I tell you. Didn't see that coming. At. All. Sarcasm, sarcasm.

In a Comic-Con exclusive video, Ted Mosby's kids finally give him both barrels.

I think it's hilarious that they brought back the actor and actress. I can only hope they use them a few times in the upcoming last season.

I didn't really like the first season of breaking bad but decided to give it one more chance.

I've watched 18 episodes in 5 days.

Help

I'm gonna catch up on Breaking Bad, but this time I'm gonna start like halfway through Season 3, so that I don't get depressed and stop like I have the last 3 times I've tried.

I've been catching up on this season of Copper. Man, I keep mixing this show up with Ripper Street... I keep thinking when is the Pimp Doctor going to come around the station... oh yeah, wrong show.
@sixpackshaker how is Copper? I've seen it on netflix, but haven't gotten around to it.

I've just finished up Endeavour. It's so great. Lewis is slightly better, but not by much. I hope the series goes on for a while. Thursday is a great character.

GasBandit

Staff member
Somebody at work parked in my space. I caught them on their way back to their car. Gave them a pretty entertaining Breaking Bad parody speech ("You see that parking space there, and you don't think that's for me?? I AM THE ONE WHO PARKS!" and it all went to waste because they don't watch Breaking Bad. Dammit.

@sixpackshaker how is Copper? I've seen it on netflix, but haven't gotten around to it.

I've just finished up Endeavour. It's so great. Lewis is slightly better, but not by much. I hope the series goes on for a while. Thursday is a great character.
Copper is pretty good, they do some mind twisting things with the technology of the time. But if you can look past that, it is an interesting look at Civil War New York. The show deals with Irish in America, Slavery, Gangs, Prostitution, the aftermath of the Draft Riot. One of the characters who should have been interesting last year, but was written into a corner as being a victim with a 1000 yard stare, has finally got the opportunity for growth this season.

I'm gonna catch up on Breaking Bad, but this time I'm gonna start like halfway through Season 3, so that I don't get depressed and stop like I have the last 3 times I've tried.
If you start there, you'll miss the feel good part of the show,
where Jesse's girlfriend dies of a heroin overdose which causes her father to let two planes collide, killing hundreds.
After that, it really gets depressing and intense.