[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

I wanted to like this show soooo bad.

I just couldn't. I can't disagree with anything you've said here.
So, lately I've noticed people saying The Orville 'gets better'.

So I sat down to watch it again. And that first episode hit me just as hard with the "this is fucking dumb" as the first time I saw it. But I kept watching. And now, I'm enjoying it. Sure, it's goofy and dumb, but not nearly as over the top as the first episode. And there are serious story lines and moments. So, about 2/3 of the way through season 2, I guess I can say I like it well enough to keep watching it.

So, lately I've noticed people saying The Orville 'gets better'.

So I sat down to watch it again. And that first episode hit me just as hard with the "this is fucking dumb" as the first time I saw it. But I kept watching. And now, I'm enjoying it. Sure, it's goofy and dumb, but not nearly as over the top as the first episode. And there are serious story lines and moments. So, about 2/3 of the way through season 2, I guess I can say I like it well enough to keep watching it.
Season 3 is even more of an upgrade than you've seen thus far.

It's just that, like the game, it's another zombie outbreak and zombie post apocalyptic story. It follows a lot of the same beats we've seen many times already in other movies, games, etc.
I love the zombie outbreak part, where society is still functioning but it's obvious that things are beginning to fall apart. Schools shut down, news reporters get attacked at the scene, and the authorities take increasingly drastic steps to stop the spread. Fear the Walking Dead started off like that but then suddenly fast forwarded to the apocalypse. Most zombie stories seem to start when everything has fallen and the protagonists have turned into a roving tribe of traumatized, querulous bums (murderhobos, if you will). Yes, I understand that zombie films reflect contemporary societal anxieties. Yes, it's grim and depressing. Stop showing the same thing over and over.

Finished Servant of the People. I laughed, I cried, I sighed at how familiar the oligarchs and political corruption are. Everyone needs to watch this.

"We're not a border region between orcs and elves. We are a nation of open, clever and talented people. When we understand this, when we understand that stealing is bad, that we need to roll up our sleeves and work hard, then the whole world will say 'Glory to Ukraine!'" -- President Vasily Petrovich Goloborodko

The Last of Us episode 3 is a fucking masterpiece.
I haven't watched episode 3 but, but the first two episodes were absolutely great. I've never been a last of us fan, I thought the games were bad at being video games and that the fans were too obnoxious like they'd never seen a game with a decent story before, but the series has been fantastic.

GasBandit

Staff member
Alright, I guess I'll have to watch it now. I was shunning it because how COULD it be good? It's a video game tie-in for a game I couldn't be bothered to play. But alright then.

Ok, I watched episode 3 of The Last of Us

... how dare this dumb video game series have such a beautiful self-contained story.

• Love
Reactions: Dei
I'm halfway through that episode right now. That survivalist reminded me of someone and I just couldn't quite put my finger on it. Then it hit me. He's that universe's version of Burt Gummer.

Watched episode 3 of The Last of Us last night with my girlfriend.

It completely destroyed both of us. We were a sobbing mess by the end of it.

Give everyone involved all the Emmys. Literally ALL the Emmys.

Apparently the usual suspects are whining that Last of Us has “gone woke.” They review bombed the episode, just like they did with Rings of Power, Captain Marvel, and She-Hulk. I look forward to seeing their heads explode when this episode gets an Emmy. Maybe they’ll finally get that coronary.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ted Lasso: I know I'm late to this party, but I'm really enjoying this show. I should have known a Bill Lawrence show was going to win we over.
I noticed you guys having yourselves a little marathon session the last day or two! Glad you're liking it.

I noticed you guys having yourselves a little marathon session the last day or two! Glad you're liking it.
Well, just me. Mr. Z is busy, so I'm binging to my heart's content. I love all the little one-liners, but for some reason, the line, "Hey, guys, Jan Masse is not being rude. He's just being Dutch." made me pause the episode until I could stop laughing.

Well butter my biscuit! I love Ted Lasso, especially those three hecklers at the pub. There's that scene where they are still giving Ted a hard time and one of them says, "it's pretty cool that a Premier League gaffer is on a first-name basis with us."

I just finished Vox Machina season two. It’s great and I don’t want to wait another year for the third one.
Season 2 was great, plus I'm wondering when they're going to premier the first season of Mighty Nein. Also would love to see them do EXU: Calamity. Eventually Bells Hells would be good too...

My wife is not into TTRPGs at all, but really enjoys LoVM

In defense of Wednesday having a few emotions:
Any of the older series or the films always depict her as cold and emotionless because that's the joke. She's the only one in her family that ever has that trait, but it's never explained as any kind of supernatural compulsion or anything. The Wednesday series has decided, of which I am thankful for, to depict Wednesday's cold and calculated demeanor as an emotional defense that she has been using for years up to this point. This is obviously because the new series is more than just a comedy and Wednesday is now the lead instead of just a a one-note joke that shows up occasionally (sadly that's what they made Fester in the new series). Her demeanor even makes her an outcast amongst her own kind, as others are perfectly capable of showing emotion. But Wednesday is human and I think the series wants to explore her humanity a bit. There should be points where a little happiness/sadness/excitement squeaks through. Maybe even a little fear too. What's great about Wednesday is when this does happen you know it's a big deal.
This actually isn't the first time that Wednesday has shown some emotion.
In the Broadway musical she begins to come to terms with how being in love starts to make her think a little differently. One of her songs about it is my favorite in the show.

I binge-watched Wednesday over the last couple of days, and I really enjoyed it. I'm not as bent about taking her 'off brand' as some people seem to be. But then again, my memories of the character are from the black-and-white tv show from the 60's, and not anything that came later. In that series, Wednesday is a lot less one-note: She plays with dolls, she cares what other people think, she is helpful, she likes to dance. She's not this emotionless outcast, just a little weird and macabre like the rest of her family.

Something to consider: in the TV show, she was like 6 years old, and in the later movies, she was more like 13. In the Netflix series, she's 16. To expect a person to retain the exact same personality during 10 of their most formative years is just silly. I felt the new series portrayed her just fine, and I enjoyed the character growth.

I think when people look back on a show, their feelings about characters get filtered through a simplifying lens that pares the characters down into the bare essense of their interpretation of the character. Back when Terminator 2 first came out, my girlfriend at the time said she hated it, because the T-1000 ran when giving chase. Her argument was what made Arnold as the Terminator such a scary adversary was that he never ran but was relentless and never stopped coming--despite the fact that there are scenes in the first move where he does, in fact, run when giving chase.

GasBandit

Staff member
I went and managed to find HD versions of Rome, and Deadwood. I hadn't realized that the version of those I had on my plex server were sub-SDef quality rips from before 2009. So now they look all crisp and neat.

I highly recommend both these series to anyone who likes shows like (pre bad-ending) Game of Thrones on HBO - these were also HBO series of a similar tone and vein that helped pave the way for GOT to become a thing on HBO.

I can only second that recommendation. Both are great.
Only downside is Deadwood ended quite abruptly. Apparently there's a movie to close things out but I don't think I've ever seen that.

If it adds any value for anyone, Rome was consistently recommended by professors in my Classics courses as doing a great job of capturing the look and feel of ancient Rome, even if it takes some historical liberties with its plot.

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
I can only second that recommendation. Both are great.
Only downside is Deadwood ended quite abruptly. Apparently there's a movie to close things out but I don't think I've ever seen that.
I have (it is also on my plex server) and it is a nice little movie for fans of the show. Takes place after a 10 year time skip. I wouldn't say it ties everything up, but it does help get some story closure.

I enjoyed last night's The Last of Us. I just had one minor quibble. They were in a video arcade from 2003 and there wasn't a single Dance Dance Revolution platform in sight. You can't have a complete early aughts arcade experience without DDR.
This was Bella's turn to show what an amazing actor they are

Chance thinks you should consider the arcade to have been opened by a collector with an '80s nostalgia kick, not representative of a chain location you'd see in 2003.
Which basically didn't exist in 2003. The only places still open in 2003 were the places with the big DDR, car machines, etc.

GasBandit

Staff member
Which basically didn't exist in 2003. The only places still open in 2003 were the places with the big DDR, car machines, etc.
The only coin op video games I knew of in 2003 within easy driving distance was the college memorial student center basement restaurant, which had a DDR machine and a Star Wars Trilogy arcade machine.

But man I loved playing them both.

Well, this is probably true for most places, but it very much did exist around here, or more specifically, at the Shore. We've never stopped having arcades.