[Rant] Tech Minor Rant Thread

it's been like that for... What, three years now?
I thought it started some time in late 2019/early 2020, but it looks like the actual start date of ballooning GPU prices was December of 2017 (GeForce GTX 10x0/Radeon Vega), meaning we're coming up on four years of this shit.

--Patrick

Last edited:

GasBandit

Staff member
I know, but it's been like that for... What, three years now? I remember "wait 'til the 2000-series drops so the 1080ti drops in price" way back when. The 1080ti is still one of the more viable bang for buck cards now and it's four years old.
TBH, unless you're doing a lot of VR (like, AR embedded VR that you are then streaming in real time) or insisting on 4k at 60fps. you don't need a 3000 series card. My 1060 3gb, the most bargainy of the 10 series, still plays everything that doesn't go in goggles marvelously in 1080p60.

Microchip shortages, CPU/GPU(/console) scalpers, RAM/flash price fluctuations, alleged "spy chips" on motherboards, cryptocurrency demand, and now...

...yes that's right, now it's not just chips, but also other surface-mount components like resistors, chokes, capacitors, and so on. Companies like Rubycon, Nippon-Chemicon, and other well-known names in the electronics industry are all succumbing to COVID-19 and other factors, leading to shortages of even the most basic electronic components found on circuit boards everywhere. Heck, even raw material prices are going up due to supply constraints. I didn't even really know anything about Ho before reading these stories. And supplies aren't expected to recover for as much as six months...IF nothing else happens to disrupt things even further, that is. It's gonna get to the point where you can't even buy a wireless doorbell or a walkie-talkie if this keeps up.

--Patrick

Microsoft, regarding Windows 11: "We pretty much require that your system be built around Intel's 8th generation ‘Coffee Lake’ CPU or newer architecture or else your system will be flagged by the upgrade advisor tool as not meeting the requirements for Windows 11."
The *nix community: "Goddammit, Intel! Why did you hopelessly break HPET reliability in your 8th generation and later CPUs?"
Consumers: "You guyyys! I just wanted to dual boot my machine! :("

--Patrick

Last edited:
Why does imgur not show me any progress for my uploads on the app or in my browser? People are paid more than I will ever make to design this

GasBandit

Staff member
Why does imgur not show me any progress for my uploads on the app or in my browser? People are paid more than I will ever make to design this
Imgur's been on the downslide for a long time now. Just waiting for the next starry-eyed idealist startup to come along for everybody to jump to, that gets its 12-18 months before it has to actually start making a profit/paying for overhead, and turns into what all other image hosts turn into since even flickr and photobucket.

Imgur's been on the downslide for a long time now. Just waiting for the next starry-eyed idealist startup to come along for everybody to jump to, that gets its 12-18 months before it has to actually start making a profit/paying for overhead, and turns into what all other image hosts turn into since even flickr and photobucket.
I've been using bc it's so easy to bulk upload but on my desktop it's not even putting them in the right order

GasBandit

Staff member
I've been using bc it's so easy to bulk upload but on my desktop it's not even putting them in the right order
I've never had it upload multiple things in the right order. Then I fix the order... then it reverts back to the wrong order.

I've never had it upload multiple things in the right order. Then I fix the order... then it reverts back to the wrong order.
The app at least gets the order right for me, I had to move my screenshots to my phone for the upload lol

To be fair, when you copy a group of files, Windows does not properly order the list that it passes to whatever program/api. It's been like this since like Win3.1.
Here's a 6 year old StackOverflow question bitching about it.

So if you're selecting a bunch of files and dragging them to Imgur on the web, imgur is at the mercy of whatever random file order Windows decides to send.

To be fair, when you copy a group of files, Windows does not properly order the list that it passes to whatever program/api. It's been like this since like Win3.1.
Here's a 6 year old StackOverflow question bitching about it.

So if you're selecting a bunch of files and dragging them to Imgur on the web, imgur is at the mercy of whatever random file order Windows decides to send.
Huh, did not know that

Edit: tried deleting an album and now I have 50 loose images to delete goddamnit

Last edited:
the board I've chosen is absolute effing overkill
Ha ha well looks like supply is so tight that suppliers are only selling this board directly to OEMs or as part of an entire system and not to the general public. I have a call in to a supplier to see if they can release one (just one!) board for me, but I've already ordered most of the other components (because I didn't know there was any kind of restriction on the boards) and if/when they get here it's gonna be a real shame if I can't get my hands on a board to slot them into. Whooops.

--Patrick

Why is it so hard for my ISP to maintain an Internet connection? Every few months the Internet will start going down for several hours at a time. I'd call, they'd send a tech, the tech will mess around with things, the connection will come back, and then the cycle repeats.

Last time around the guy replaced some of the cables physically connecting the router to the... connection thingy in the wall. He suspected that there was something wrong with the cable or the connector.

GasBandit

Staff member
Last time around the guy replaced some of the cables physically connecting the router to the... connection thingy in the wall. He suspected that there was something wrong with the cable or the connector.
What's your uplink? Is this cable modem? DSL? Or just an ethernet plug that goes somewhere-you-know-not?

What's your uplink? Is this cable modem? DSL? Or just an ethernet plug that goes somewhere-you-know-not?
Cable, I think. The router (provided by the ISP) connects to an F type connector that goes into the wall. That's pretty much all I know.

GasBandit

Staff member
Cable, I think. The router (provided by the ISP) connects to an F type connector that goes into the wall. That's pretty much all I know.
It's rare for a router to have a coax uplink, it's probably a modem with a built-in router. It seems rather odd to me that a bad coax cable would take several visits, but I suppose dumber things have happened.

It's rare for a router to have a coax uplink, it's probably a modem with a built-in router. It seems rather odd to me that a bad coax cable would take several visits, but I suppose dumber things have happened.
Any suggestions on what I could do? Aside from harass the ISP every time my Internet goes down?

GasBandit

Staff member
Any suggestions on what I could do? Aside from harass the ISP every time my Internet goes down?
Unfortunately, if it is upstream of your modem, it is pretty much out of your hands. Of course, the modem itself could also be the problem, especially if it uses the Puma chipset. Replacing it with one of your own that uses a Motorola chipset might help in that case, but it is a bit of a hassle to get your ISP on board with it sometimes. At the very least, you will have to spend time on their support line to tell them your new modem's CMAC.

Keep an eye on whether anything interacts with that cable--furniture, pets, weather, guests, foot traffic, other nearby electronics, mechanical strain, etc. If none of those things are a concern, you may want to peek at the cable itself just to see whether the center wire is too long/too short at either end, or consider getting a shorter cable (if possible). If the cable is fine, then it is either upstream OR something to do with your router. If you reboot your router and everything goes normal, then it's probably sloppy router software that just needs to be rebooted every month. If that doesn't resolve it, then we're starting to get into stuff that's outside of the consumer realm (router config, intrusion attempts, other people on your loop).

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I hate tech people online, especially anime fans. Everybody's a fucking Mort.

"Hey, Yameii, when you name your torrent 'Show name 6th season episode 4' Sonarr thinks it's season 1 episode 4 because the ENTIRE TORRENTING WORLD has standardized on S06E04 for season and episode codes and you're just being contrarian. Would you mind naming things in accordance with established practice?"

"No, Sonarr sucks, you should use Medusa."

"Sonarr has worked just fine for literally every other show that YOU have not uploaded. You are literally the only group I have to manually spoon feed, and it's because of this issue. But just to give it a try, I have now tried to set up medusa and it is 9 flavors of arcane inscrutable bullshit that never works and often makes things worse. So your pet favorite niche torrent scraper only works for you and your iconoclastic naming convention. So that's a no go. And it sucks that I have no alternative other than to manually load your torrents and manually import in sonarr them because no other group will duplicate the effort since you're doing it already. But it's not like I'm paying you to do your thing so I guess I just have to put up with it."

God I miss Golumpa. His shit worked just fine. Now the only consistent purveyor of english dubbed anime torrents is Yameii. I almost hope Yameii gets busted too. Almost.

I keep getting these weird network hiccups on our LAN. I thought it was the wireless, so I completely disabled one of our three APs. Didn't get worse, but also didn't get better. Finally thought about a ping test, and I can now confirm that what we're having is either due to our modem or my router, because it happens just like this even on a computer connected directly to the router, like so:
75ohm Internet cable -> ISP-provided modem -> 1m Cat5 -> ridiculously overbuilt 8-port router -> 1m Cat5e -> Test computer
Code:
Pinging halforums.com [192.64.115.225] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.64.115.225: bytes=32 time=82ms TTL=51
Reply from 192.64.115.225: bytes=32 time=80ms TTL=51
Reply from 192.64.115.225: bytes=32 time=89ms TTL=51
Reply from 192.64.115.225: bytes=32 time=95ms TTL=51
Reply from 192.64.115.225: bytes=32 time=81ms TTL=51
Reply from 192.64.115.225: bytes=32 time=98ms TTL=51
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.64.115.225: bytes=32 time=89ms TTL=51
Request timed out.
Reply from 192.64.115.225: bytes=32 time=79ms TTL=51
Reply from 192.64.115.225: bytes=32 time=83ms TTL=51
See, this is the part I don't get. My connection/turnaround time is ROCK SOLID (only varying by a bare handful of milliseconds each ping)...except that it'll just up and lose what, 1 out of every 32 packets? I thought it was due to the flow control I have on the router (which is set to occasionally drop packets for any client that tries to suck up all the bandwidth in order to throttle it down), but it continues even after I turned off the traffic shaping, so it's not that.
The rant? Now I have to contact my ISP and attempt to get them to understand that 1) I have a problem, and that 2) it is definitively being caused by something on their end, which will require being connected to someone who understands these things well enough to be just as confused as I am about what's going on.

--Patrick

It looks like it may have been the patch cable between the modem and my router. My speed was upgraded from 100Mbps (110ish effective) to 200Mbps (180-210 effective), then again to 300Mbps (265ish effective) BUT nobody upgraded the patch cable from standard Cat5 to at least Cat5e, meaning the link from my modem to my router officially only supported up to 100Mbps. The tech who came out did also find we had a second coax run from the distro box to our property that wasn't terminated and another few things, and also replaced our DOCSIS 3.0 modem with a newer DOCSIS 3.1 model. So who knows what the real reason was? ...but it was probably the older patch cable.

ANYWAY: On to my new rant.
Why is it so dang hard to find a new monitor??? All I want is a monitor that is:
  • 240Hz
  • IPS or xLED (not VA or TN)
  • 10-bit HDR 400nits minimum
  • At least 2K (1440p) resolution
  • HDMI 2.1 (will accept 2.0) and DP 1.4
  • Minimum 27in diagonal measurement
  • Under US$1000
Every monitor I can find is lacking in at least ONE of these categories. Arghhhhlgl...
Oh sure, CES was full of a bunch of really interesting monitors, but most of them don't even have prices yet and aren't going to be coming out on the market until around Christmas of 2023, according to the mfrs.

--Patrick