Tech News and Miscellany

GasBandit

Staff member
@GasBandit thought of you.

That sounds neat. Too bad it:
  1. Is on chrome
  2. Is mobile only
  3. Is done by Google, so I expect them to abandon it in 2 years when a suit up the chain realizes it isn't directly monetizable.

... Yes I'm still bitter about google reader.

The FOSS community still uses IRC, and there is drama in FOSS IRC-land today. Groups are abandoning Freenode after a private takeover.

The FOSS community still uses IRC, and there is drama in FOSS IRC-land today. Groups are abandoning Freenode after a private takeover.

I was reading about this and wondered if you'd heard (since our IRC thread is long expired).
Guess I shouldn't have worried. Looks like the drama a few years ago was just a rehersal.

--Patrick

I was reading about this and wondered if you'd heard (since our IRC thread is long expired).
Guess I shouldn't have worried. Looks like the drama a few years ago was just a rehersal.

--Patrick
It's all over the various linux-related subreddits. Some have moved to Libera, some to other platforms, and some are still debating what to do next.

I guess this will also be bad news for the Coke/Pepsi, Vegemite/Marmite, Kraft/Sargento, Unilever/P&G, Nestlé/Hershey, Intel/AMD, Campbell's/Progresso, Heinz/Hunt's, French's/Plochman, etc. duopolies as well.
C'mon, C&MA. You know market forces will tend to end up elevating two dominant players, this should not come as any surprise. Just admit you're angry about Brexit and want to take it out on somebody and move on.

--Patrick

Um... that's not good.
"Analysis of WD’s firmware suggests code meant to prevent the issue had been commented out, preventing it from running, by WD itself, and an authentication type was not added to component_config.php which results in the drives not asking for authentication before performing the factory reset."
There is also another newly discovered exploit where hackers can get unrestricted root access to the drives.
So yeah, probably a good idea to unplug them from the Internet. Forever.

Also even though this line of drives was discontinued in 2015(?), there's still plenty out there being sold new, so make sure all your parents/friends know to just avoid them entirely.

--Patrick

thankfully, I haven't updated audacity in years. Once I get a version of something I like that doesn't have any issues and does everything I want, I pretty much stop updating it.

GasBandit

Staff member
thankfully, I haven't updated audacity in years. Once I get a version of something I like that doesn't have any issues and does everything I want, I pretty much stop updating it.
Same here. Which is why I have both an old copy of Audacity, and Audition 3.0 :D

And windows 7, no matter how much grief I get for that. It works fine.

Tuttut. You're not allowed to do that. Please surrender full control of your appliances and applications to the Corporate Overlords. They know much better than you what is good for you.

Tuttut. You're not allowed to do that. Please surrender full control of your appliances and applications to the Corporate Overlords. They know much better than you what is good for you.
Which reminds me, I have a lot less sympathy for the people complaining about the new $40/month subscription fee to Peloton when I remember they bought a $4000 treadmill.

I would really like to see their rationalization for why they are even doing it in the first place. Did the RIAA put them up to this? The KGB? What could they possibly be looking for that would use a DAW as a vector?

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I would really like to see their rationalization for why they are even doing it in the first place. Did the RIAA put them up to this? The KGB? What could they possibly be looking for that would use a DAW as a vector?

—Patrick
Nothing.

They just want your personal info. The reason is whatever fiction will get you to let them do it.

First, on the Audacity stuff: At least the first fork. Long term, I agree that it will likely turn into a mirror of the OpenOffice/LibreOffice situation. At least I hope so.

Second, I think that this is one of the better articles about Machine Learning and "helping" coders that I've seen: A Brillant Copilot (that's not my typo, and it's about GitHub's "Copilot"... thing (product?)). The quote that really sells it though is this:
It's ironic that the biggest obstacle to automating programmers out of a job is that we are terrible at our jobs.
I think @Tinwhistler at a minimum will agree with that sentiment. Not sure whom else here codes for a living, but I'm sure you've all seen it too. Hopefully not too often while in front of a mirror. ;)