[Rant] Tech Whine Like a baby thread

Tatlow is their "entry" server line, straddling the line between client and workstation. So more like prosumer.
Basically it should carry me for 8-10 more years, depending on how stupid future OSes go.
TBF, if I ever hit the lottery or otherwise came into a significant amount of money, I'd like to put together a monster Threadripper machine... as a Gentoo box. :devil:

Past Me is annoying me right now. When I go biking, I often film it with my GoPro 7. It's usually not exciting footage, but I still enjoy filming my rides.

The problem is sorting the footage afterwards. On the GoPro itself, if it's one long video, it displays as such. But if you copy the files onto a computer from the micro SD card, the same single video is split into chunks usually no longer than 15 minutes. And they're labeled things like GH010126, but not in any identifiable way so I can tell "Okay, this is Part 1, this is Part 2..."

So I have to look at each clip and basically figure out "Okay, this video ends with me at an intersection here...and then, THIS video starts at the same intersection..." so I can rename the video something like "10-26-2021 Bike Trip to Downtown Part 1" and so on.

It gets annoyingly trickier when sorting videos from my rides on the trails because most times, the view is just the trail and the trees. Sometimes I luck out and the footage from one clip to the other includes an identifiable fellow cyclist or pedestrian.

Usually, at the end of a bike ride, I'll immediately copy over the footage and put it in its own folder with the date and a little label about the trip, like "Bike ride to Yoga Rock."

Unfortunately, Past Me got lazy in the half dozen or so trips and just put them all in an "Unsorted" folder. Or just to be helpful, an "Unsorted 2" folder! Thanks, Past Me. Jackass.

GoPro DOES have an app for sorting and posting footage but honestly, it's not very good. With videos that I've uploaded (as private videos) to YouTube, it's after splicing the clips together into one video through the Vegas 15 video editing program.

I'm sure there are much easier or more efficient ways of doing this, but darned if I know them. I'm not professional videographer or editor. Hell, I'm sure a good editor could make something interesting out of these videos.

GasBandit

Staff member
So apparently there was a chrome update. All my pinned tabs and extensions just decided to go bye bye. What a pain.

At least I only use Chrome on the work PC, the home PC and my laptop should be fine.

The Ryzen 7 5800X is on sale at Micro Center for $299.

In store only.

And the closest stores to me are Baltimore, Cleveland, or Columbus. All ~220 miles away. And I'm working Friday night. :(

Tatlow is their "entry" server line, straddling the line between client and workstation. So more like prosumer.
Basically it should carry me for 8-10 more years, depending on how stupid future OSes go.

"You already do!"

--Patrick
Huh I was told 15 years ago that was a stupid idea for a feature

Seems like every time I unplug my phone from my computer I get 10 popups 20 minutes later saying my phone has been disconnected

Yesterday morning, I had to call off the first half of my day at work to run the rest of the family to the dentists' office.
With an hour to go before we had to leave, I decided I'd finally get around to updating the BIOS on my routing computer to get all that CVE-fighting goodness contained therein, mainly because at that moment by some miracle everybody in the house was not using the Internet.
I don't know what I was thinking. The monitor I had hooked up wouldn't turn on (it's a 20yr-old 14in eMachines CRT, it must've finally decided to die) so I had to dig up a 4:3 HP LCD panel I haven't used probably since 2016. The update installed perfectly but then the router wouldn't boot back up again right after the update because I forgot to clear the CMOS settings AND then also forgot to change two of them back (disable SMT, max power saving).

We ended up leaving about 10min late, after I made sure my father-in-law would have Internet once he got back from his morning coffee with the boys so he can watch his YouTubes.

I updated the IPMI system later that night after I got back from work, when it wouldn't disrupt anyone. THAT went flawlessly, of course.

--Patrick

NO one in the household is […] normal
I’ve been saying this for decades!

…seriously, though, there’s:
Father-in-law - desktop, laptop, phone, TV, smart speaker
Cranky - 2x desktop, laptop, 2x phone, 2x smart speaker, TV, TV box
Wife - desktop, laptop, tablet, phone, smartwatch
Son - iPod, tablet, desktop, TV box
Myself - 2x phone, smartwatch, laptop, 4x desktop*, 3x smart speaker, 3x WiFi points, 2x unmanaged switches (we need ‘em!)

This is just the regular use lists, btw. Everyone has additional “retired” devices (phones, laptops, desktops) that only get fired up once in a great while for stuff, mostly to see if the battery is still good or to get some old file(s), but thankfully nobody has any stupid IoT stuff. And all of this on a 111Mbps Charter connection, because that is the absolute fastest connection available in my area. Patch Tuesdays and game download days are the worst.

Oh, and my wife’s new tablet (XmasPrez) will be arriving Mon and then my son will get her old one. I’m also thinking of adding some smart bulbs to the mix (we have two ceiling fans with lights that can’t turn off due to broken chain switches) and a few door sensors (our kid just can’t seem to understand what “Stay out of the garage!” means), soooo…yeah.

—Patrick
*total includes router box and NAS.

I’m also thinking of adding some smart bulbs to the mix
I need a new echo dot, because my old ones are still in (and likely to remain in) VA. I got a deal where I got a free smart plug to go with it, so, of course I took the freebie. I've since gotten two more. There's something really satisfying about walking into a room and saying "Lights!" and they come on. Star trek future is here :D It makes me want to change Alexa's name to "Computer."....."Computer, Lights." <ding>

I mainly want them so I don’t have to get out a chair and climb up to manually screw/unscrew the half-installed bulbs we keep there every time we want to turn the lights on and off.
…and also because I want to program them to flash red 5min before my son’s computer time ends at night so he has no excuse that he didn’t know it was already time to save and quit. ;)

—Patrick

Seems like every time I unplug my phone from my computer I get 10 popups 20 minutes later saying my phone has been disconnected
I am not exaggerating this, I think my phone was last plugged into this computer last night, about 24 hours ago

Untitled.jpg

Patch Tuesdays and game download days are the worst.
...so today I discovered CoDel and SQM and while my raw downlink speed is now down from 111Mbps to 90Mbps, my overall latency range has also narrowed from 26-1400ms (yes that's a max of almost one and a half seconds) to just 28-52ms.
Let's see how this works.

--Patrick

I went back to Firefox for the last couple of months because of the whole ZOMG! TRACKING!!!!!1!!111!!!ELEBENTY! thing, but I'm getting a bit fed up with it. Mostly because it does NOT play nice with YouTube. It constantly hangs when reloading the front page, trying to return search results, scrolling more than a couple screens down, or even just opening a video sometimes. Refreshing the page works, but as it does that, it first shows me a "you're not connected to the internet" page. Um, yes I am.

It probably shouldn't be a dealbreaker, but YouTube is my biggest time filler at this time of night.

Hmm.... I've been using Firefox at home all along, and haven't had this problem. And I watch a LOT of youtube. What plugins are you using?
The firefox experience has been inconsistent across users. I had to stop using it too from memory leaks freezing it up on me, no plugins

Hmm.... I've been using Firefox at home all along, and haven't had this problem. And I watch a LOT of youtube. What plugins are you using?
uBlock Origin, Malwarebytes, VideoDownloadHelper, Greasemonkey, and Dashlane.

Typically it'll be something like trying to refresh the front page or load search results, the progress bar will go to 80% and... just sit there. If I wait a minute or so it'll eventually unstick, but that's not supposed to happen.

GasBandit

Staff member
no plugins
Well, there's your first problem. You definitely need ublock origin. The number 1 memory leaker is shitty malevolent code in ads.

That said, I do have to close and reopen Firefox about once a day or so, mostly because imgur's the absolute worst at hogging ram. If I don't go to Imgur on any given day, I don't need to restart firefox until the next time I actually do... but if I do... I gotta restart it as soon as I'm done browsing imgur. No better in Chrome on that one, either.
uBlock Origin, Malwarebytes, VideoDownloadHelper, Greasemonkey, and Dashlane.

Typically it'll be something like trying to refresh the front page or load search results, the progress bar will go to 80% and... just sit there. If I wait a minute or so it'll eventually unstick, but that's not supposed to happen.
And I take it that nothing is actually displaying despite the bar being at 80%?

You know, now that I think back, I think I had this problem once, and it turned out to be the DNS I was using, and it went away when I switched to 1.1.1.1.

I don't use greasemonkey or any video download helpers, and I use lastpass instead of Dashlane, but really apart from that your addon profile is very similar to mine (I also use adnauseam instead of uBlock but it's basically just uBlock with extra bells and whistles).

There's also been some very strange shit going on with google the last couple weeks. I have a client who half the time got network errors trying to save attachments from their gmail account, then the big update hit last week and suddenly they're able to download just fine with no problems.

I dunno man, seems like these days there's too much hidden hocus pocus going on behind the scenes to really be able to troubleshoot in any meaningful fashion, sometimes.

And I take it that nothing is actually displaying despite the bar being at 80%?
This one time it stuck on a search while a video was playing, the video played for at least another two minutes before the search results finally appeared.
You know, now that I think back, I think I had this problem once, and it turned out to be the DNS I was using, and it went away when I switched to 1.1.1.1.
I'm already using 1.1.1.1. Sigh.

This one time it stuck on a search while a video was playing, the video played for at least another two minutes before the search results finally appeared.

I'm already using 1.1.1.1. Sigh.
If it's a Google site you're having issues with, try 8.8.8.8. It's Google's own. They already have all your browsing habits anyway.

If it's a Google site you're having issues with, try 8.8.8.8. It's Google's own. They already have all your browsing habits anyway.
I've been using DuckDuckGo since I made the switch this time 'round. Can't say I'm all that impressed with the results. Searching for certain mods for The Sims 4 with Google will take me right to the mod's page on Mod The Sims. Same search term in DuckDuckGo will take me to page after page of blog posts and other sites without ever sending me to the right location.

(EDIT: it looks like DuckDuckGo is just repackaging Bing search results)

I've been using DuckDuckGo since I made the switch this time 'round. Can't say I'm all that impressed with the results. Searching for certain mods for The Sims 4 with Google will take me right to the mod's page on Mod The Sims. Same search term in DuckDuckGo will take me to page after page of blog posts and other sites without ever sending me to the right location.

(EDIT: it looks like DuckDuckGo is just repackaging Bing search results)
I've been wanting to go to another search engine for a long time, but DuckDuckGo, Ecosia, OceanHero,...they all return search results which are just objectively so much worse than Google's. Very annoying.

GasBandit

Staff member
I usually choose my DNS based on prioritizing response speed. 8.8.8.8 got way too slow to put up with a few years back. I had another that was stupid fast but it stopped working, so 1.1.1.1 seems a nice performance vs reliability compromise.

I usually choose my DNS based on prioritizing response speed. 8.8.8.8 got way too slow to put up with a few years back. I had another that was stupid fast but it stopped working, so 1.1.1.1 seems a nice performance vs reliability compromise.
I use 1.1.1.1 myself, but in the past I've had a lot of success with other people setting them to 8.8.8.8 if they were facign whatever kinds of issues with non loading/slow loading/etc.

Most people won't realize IF there are any slowdowns as long as they're acceptabel, let alone know that changing DNS servers might help :p

I have a dedicated DNS on our LAN that sends out all internal requests as DNS over HTTPS (yes yes @DarkAudit , non-typical use case, I know already) so my ISP can’t snoop, and the ones it forwards to are:
1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare)
1.0.0.1 (Cloudflare’s alternate)
9.9.9.9 (Quad9)
149.112.112.112 (Quad9’s alternate)
I’ve used DNSBench to test things, and it seems satisfied with my choices. There are faster, more local ones, but they don’t support HTTPS.

—Patrick