[Rant] Tech Whine Like a baby thread

GasBandit

Staff member
I'm tired of "youtube premieres." They seem like a massive step backwards. The whole point of streaming video from a website is you watch it on demand. The only thing a "premiere" adds to the experience is a live chat with people you probably don't want to talk to and the inability to skip over parts you don't find interesting.

Additionally, it clogs up my dashboard, subscription queue, and RSS feed concatenator with entries for videos I can't watch until hours (or sometimes even days) later, and I only go to those places looking for something to watch at that moment.

Congratulations, kids, you've undone all the advances and reverted the medium back to broadcast TV, now with extra steps.

Reminds me of a tumblr post I saw once (that I can't find now) where zoomers lament that people are able to call them on their cell phones, and wish they could have a device that was only for texting. Grats on reinventing the pager, kids.

I'm tired of "youtube premieres." They seem like a massive step backwards. The whole point of streaming video from a website is you watch it on demand. The only thing a "premiere" adds to the experience is a live chat with people you probably don't want to talk to and the inability to skip over parts you don't find interesting.

Additionally, it clogs up my dashboard, subscription queue, and RSS feed concatenator with entries for videos I can't watch until hours (or sometimes even days) later, and I only go to those places looking for something to watch at that moment.

Congratulations, kids, you've undone all the advances and reverted the medium back to broadcast TV, now with extra steps.

Reminds me of a tumblr post I saw once (that I can't find now) where zoomers lament that people are able to call them on their cell phones, and wish they could have a device that was only for texting. Grats on reinventing the pager, kids.
Also, twitter profile pages with your own music welcoming visitors.
Also, albums released as one continuous track instead of separate tracks.

GasBandit

Staff member
Also, twitter profile pages with your own music welcoming visitors.
Also, albums released as one continuous track instead of separate tracks.
I remember the post about the first one, but I don't think I saw the second one.

Regardless, man, it just seems like we're regressing as a species on every front lately, doesn't it.

figmentPez

Staff member
God fucking dammit I hate Linux nerds so fucking much!

Linux users are the reason why Linux has never become a mainstream operating system.

It's really simple to transfer files from a Windows computer to Steam Deck. Just Samba with a Dolphin! If you need any of that explained, just Google to find a lot of references to emulating Gamecube, mixed in with a dozen tutorials with incomplete steps, all written with the expectation that the reader is using the exact same Linux setup as the writer, and has everything installed that they do, and completely unexplained things to type into the command line that won't be exactly what everyone should type, but most times won't give any indication of what needs to be customized, and no easy way to find out what the string of letters and symbols means. It's EASY! And if it doesn't work, you'll be blamed for not Googling, because it's EASY!

Oh, and if you ask that Linux nerds point out that Dolphin is the name of the file manager in KDE, they'll shout at you for being an idiot, because File Manager is not the name of what you need to use, it's Dolphin, and there's no possible way anyone could be confused about that. Besides, KDE is not Linux's UI design, so you can't criticze Linux for something that KDE does.

Holy fucking shit. Linux nerds are a bigger obstacle to the Steam Deck succeeding than lack of anti-cheat support for major multiplayer titles.

GasBandit

Staff member
So this is my first day working without my boss. I am actually in the office, not at home, as my project for the next couple days is to evaluate and put some new gear through its paces. I'm at the workbench formerly belonging to my boss, as that is where all the gear was.

Apparently his thunderbolt dock was his own personal one, because there isn't one here now.

So the company scrounged through bins to find another one, gave it to me.

Took me 90 mins of troubleshooting before I went to our IT department looking for help. "Oh yeah that one? Yeah that's broken, it doesn't do video."

Managers whine that new docks are "like gold" these days and "you can't find them"

I send an amazon link showing the exact dock I need in stock for $400

"But they're usually a hundred teeeeeeen" they whine

Well, do you want the work done or not?

Also I'm pretty sure MSRP on these is 299 so tell me another one about how they're "usually" 110

Everything you just posted made my scalp itch with anxiety and why I chose to go completely lowtech with my career choice.

"Oh yeah that one? Yeah that's broken, it doesn't do video."
Frequently I've found this is because the "Thunderbolt" dock is actually only a USB-C dock and people just don't bother to distinguish between the two, much to their hair-pulling detriment.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
Frequently I've found this is because the "Thunderbolt" dock is actually only a USB-C dock and people just don't bother to distinguish between the two, much to their hair-pulling detriment.

--Patrick
This one is definitely a thunderbolt dock. It's the same make and model as the one I have at home that works fine, it's just rather than spend money, the manager went around asking for one that was lying around, and apparently the IT department said "you can try this one, if you can get it to work" and the manager took that as "this will work and we are lazy"

Yeah not so much.

GasBandit

Staff member
Everything you just posted made my scalp itch with anxiety and why I chose to go completely lowtech with my career choice.
This isn't even a tech issue really, it's a supply issue! It'd be the same as if you showed up at the station and found the patrol car you were supposed to drive was missing its transmission.

I saw that, but didn't know what it was. So I looked it up.
And now I'm sad it's being discontinued AND that I never knew about it.

--Patrick

Right? My phone becomes more and more useless as every single company won't let you just use your ever shittier phone browser, you must use their garbage, data harvesting apps. Youtube without premium on the phone is trash at the highest level. It's insane how fucking awful we've slowly let everything become. We were like frogs in a pot waiting to boil.

GasBandit

Staff member
So, a while back, we ordered the wrong switch. We needed PoE+ and accidentally ordered the sku for the non-PoE version of the switch.

Thankfully we were able to quickly source the correct switch, though we had to eat the cost.

Now the problem is... apparently the switch only has 1 gig SFP ports.. when what we're doing requires 10 gig.

We discovered this mid-install. Of a county courtroom, which is now going to be down and unusable because of this.

The project has gone Off. The. Rails.

At least I wasn't the guy in charge of picking switches. But now it's my mess to clean up.

The Voltage, amps and watts seem to match, and it looks like it has a barrel plug adapter, so I'd say there's a pretty good chance.

The only thing that worries me is it is a literal no-name knockoff brand, so who knows when it will give out, if it even works when it arrives. It's kind of a crap shoot on that front.
Bit of an update on this... suddenly had my laptop run out of juice. Problem wasn't the charger, because it gave a MIGHTY spark when I checked the plug.

My entire charging setup laid low by a barrel plug. New one plugged in and charging. Cost is $9 for two 5.5mm to 7.4mm plugs.

I told this programmer 6 different ways that the Mainframe Test will not work because the contractors have not finished setting up the test mainframe environment. 6 FUCKING DIFFERENT WAYS! He is still CCing his fucking management like it is my fault that it is not working every 30 fucking minutes.

GasBandit

Staff member
I need to control a device from another device.
The device doing the controlling's API requires that the solution be written in their proprietary fork of C#, which requires me to install Visual Studio 2008 and VS2008 SP1.
VS 2008 was killed off by Microsoft a long time ago

Developer environments are SUCH a pain in the ass these days. I long for the old days of Turbo Pascal where it was literally one program in a directory with no dependencies, no package managers, no nonsense >_<