The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

GasBandit

Staff member
I hear that CPAP machines have come a long way in the last decade or two. I remember my uncle who had sleep apnea back in the 90s basically had to hook up a cannister-vac sized apparatus to his full-face mask, and you could hear it all over the house.

I hear that CPAP machines have come a long way in the last decade or two. I remember my uncle who had sleep apnea back in the 90s basically had to hook up a cannister-vac sized apparatus to his full-face mask, and you could hear it all over the house.
Yeah, it's surprisingly silent. The only sound is when I inhale, there's an extra gust of oxygen that goes through the tube.

For those that don't have a clue: my alma mater, the University of Wisconsin at Whitewater, won the men's baseball NCAA national championship in Division III. This comes in the same academic year as the Warhawks winning the football AND men's basketball titles.

No school in any division of the NCAA has held the championships in all three sports in the same academic year ever.

UWW has won titles in all three sports previously, but this was the first time all three were champs the same school year.

The class of 2014 has a lot to be proud of.

You know something - it just hit me.

My alma mater has done something that no other school in the NCAA has EVER done.

Yeah, Florida turned the double a few times (oh, that "mythical National Championship" thing), and maybe one or two schools have had teams going to the Final Four and the College World Series.

But three National Championships - in ONE YEAR?

I thought it was super special when, my senior year back in '89, we had the best damn men's basketball team in Division III. I thought for certain that it was lightning in a bottle, and that we'd have trouble relying on players who couldn't "cut it" at Madison or Milwaukee or Marquette.

I sure as heck didn't think we could ever be this national powerhouse in football, either. Boy, Lance proved me wrong there.

Baseball, we've always had a pretty good history - UWW has at least one Major Leaguer (Bob Wickman).

I think, though, what's happened is that Whitewater has been the beneficiary of a perfect storm of factors:
  • Small enough that you can play sports and still get personalized education;
  • Close enough to the big cities (Madison and Milwaukee are about an hour away) that you don't feel like you're in MOFN;
  • Enough talent around from each of the two "big" sports (football and basketball) that even after the DI schools get their guys, a place like UWW can get some pretty decent players; and
  • No Division I NCAA baseball schools in the state.
It's that last one that's the real reason, I think, that we managed to pull off the trifecta. If UW-Madison still had their DI team, I don't think we'd be getting anything close to the talent level that would sustain a CWS champion at DIII.

Still - for all the ranting and whining I do, out there, MY Alma Mater has been doing pretty damn good this year.

Think I have to keep remembering that when I'm getting too mad at myself.

PAX Prime badges FINALLY went on sale today! While 4-day passes sold out in a matter of seconds, I did manage to get 4 sets of single-day passes for my group of 4! :3 Hotel booking has also been completed, and now I'm super broke! Hooray!
I'm super excited for my roommate, since this will be his very first PAX Prime, and he's one of the biggest gamers I know!
This also means I can finally rest easy again. Since they don't announce when registration will be up, passes were likely to go on sale any time between 8am-1pm on any weekday. It was scary having to work in the morning and I also couldn't let myself sleep in. Anyway, I'm going to sleep well tonight!!

PAX Prime badges FINALLY went on sale today! While 4-day passes sold out in a matter of seconds, I did manage to get 4 sets of single-day passes for my group of 4! :3 Hotel booking has also been completed, and now I'm super broke! Hooray!
I'm super excited for my roommate, since this will be his very first PAX Prime, and he's one of the biggest gamers I know!
This also means I can finally rest easy again. Since they don't announce when registration will be up, passes were likely to go on sale any time between 8am-1pm on any weekday. It was scary having to work in the morning and I also couldn't let myself sleep in. Anyway, I'm going to sleep well tonight!!
Just out of curiosity, do you know of a reliable alternate vendor for single day passes? One of my co-workers promised his son that he could go to PAX Prime if he met certain goals in school, all of which his son exceeded, but then they sold out while we were working, so he's in a bit of a bind.

Just out of curiosity, do you know of a reliable alternate vendor for single day passes? One of my co-workers promised his son that he could go to PAX Prime if he met certain goals in school, all of which his son exceeded, but then they sold out while we were working, so he's in a bit of a bind.
I'd recommend to hold off on searching for passes for about a month. It's risky to buy early, as many people have been ripped off before.
With that said, I'd recommend joining the PAX Prime group on Facebook, as everyone there is super friendly, and I have seen many people successfully buy/sell/trade passes there. They also moderate so no one scalps prices. (They have, however, made the group "secret" just for more privacy, but are happy yo moderate those who want to join. I'd be happy to help in sending an invite.)
There is also a reddit page with lots of people currently looking, and they also frown on people looking to make extra $$. Lots of people looking for passes now, so again I would recommend looking in about a month.
The PAX forums no longer allow pass sales/trade. (I think... they may have just banned people looking for badges as there are many people looking for them.)

Got teeth fixed, was what i was told on the estimate, didn't miss the ups guy, have a new GS5 with all the bells and whistles unlocked. I have my Otterbox on it for safety sake.

Now that I'm at a computer...
Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/PaxPassExchange/
Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/paxprime/
PAX Forum: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/categories/pax-prime
Craigslist has also been great, as long as you're careful. There's also usually booths looking for help (though many of them want ladies).
Worst case scenario, there's ALWAYS people selling badges outside the convention center every day, and usually for decent prices. While it kind of sucks buying from these shitty people outside the convention center, they were able to help my friend one year with trading an extra Sunday for a Monday for no extra $.

Now that I'm at a computer...
Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/PaxPassExchange/
Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/paxprime/
PAX Forum: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/categories/pax-prime
Craigslist has also been great, as long as you're careful. There's also usually booths looking for help (though many of them want ladies).
Worst case scenario, there's ALWAYS people selling badges outside the convention center every day, and usually for decent prices. While it kind of sucks buying from these shitty people outside the convention center, they were able to help my friend one year with trading an extra Sunday for a Monday for no extra $.
Thank you very much, I'll pass this on to my co-worker.

Cajungal

Staff member
Survived my 3rd year as a teacher. What am I going to do without the 5th grade class that's moving on?? Every class is special, but man, they hit the perfect mark. Not too grown-up, not too immature, super curious, respectful but also playful, little go-getters. I'm going to miss them terribly, but I know I'm going to be reading about most of them one day.

Cajungal

Staff member
Despite some of your rants, I take it you mean this as "read about their achievements" and not "in the local police blotter". ;)
If I ever ranted, it was about the 3rd grade. It's a reeeeeaally challenging class. I'm betting a few months to mature will do them wonders. Never had problems with 5th grade. It was one of those miracle classes I wonder if I'll ever experience again. They were such strong leaders--almost all of them. And those who didn't want to lead had their own abilities that strengthened them as a class.

BananaHands

Staff member
I just got word that I will be working as a P.A. on the Bachelor when I move to L.A.!

I mean, the show isn't the best - but this is a great opportunity!

Dave

Staff member
My Epic Rant/Win moment.

Skyping with my son on Sunday and my video card just shut the fuck down. I've complained about this before (and I think it might be a power issue instead of a heat issue), but my wife was so upset she said the magic words:

"We need to get you a new computer."

Epic. Fucking. Win.

Saving up now and profit sharing in July.

We need to get my wife a new computer, too.
Doesn't mean she isn't still limping along on the one I had her build back in 2005.

--Patrick

Epic epic win... figured since I don't have my degree yet it would be a super low paying job. My part time job pays $9.50 an hour, which is crap but also part time and not in a field I care about. When I spoke to the recruiter, I asked "Uh, I forgot to ask, how much is my wage?" and and she said between $14 and $15 an hour and asked if that was ok. Ok?!? That's fan-damn-tastic. To be starting at that, I'm giddy. Hell, that's what I was making after 5 years at the factory.

I'm back! We had to go back out to Alberta this past weekend, and I'm finally home and settled back into the unpacking routine again.

The epic win is two-fold.

Number the first. The reason we were in Alberta? I had to attend a church service on Sunday. Why? Because that was the service held to ordain me, my friend, and two other women from Alberta. Boo ya. 7 years of training and waiting and beaurocratic hoops, and yet another degree (convocation was back at the beginning of May), and I'm done. I have a new prefix on my name.

Number the second. Because we moved for my work, and it's a permanent contract (i.e. I leave when I decide to, as opposed to in 2 or 3 years time), we are no longer renting. This means pets are OK again. And so, on the way back from the airport on Tuesday, we dropped by the SPCA and picked up the cat the we had chosen a week before. So I have a kitty again. Woot!