[Gaming] The Greatest Game Review Ever; That Shitty New Family Guy Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goldeneye 64 came out in 1997. Honestly, what FPS games before '97 blew Goldeneye out of the water? Jedi Knight came out in '97 and it was good, but it was just a different kind of game. I certainly don't think either Doom or Duke Nukem stood up to 007 technically and Goldeneye finally started the push from beyond "KILL ALL MONSTERS". I think it's rightfully so called a landmark game in the FPS genre.
Quake.

Quake (1996) introduced polygonal characters and levels as opposed to sprites, as well as the first major mod kit available to consumers. The Quake engine is likely the reason 3D shooters took over on PC after the days of Duke and Doom. From there you had various builds of the engine and then Unreal, which gave players the Unreal Editor, a fully-fledged toolbox of level design, allowing everything from building a map to special AI triggers and events players could build into it in a non-coded, streamlined manner.

The Marcher Fortress for Quake 1 remains one of the most awesome fan-made levels I've ever played for any game ever.

Quake (1996) introduced polygonal characters and levels as opposed to sprites, as well as the first major mod kit available to consumers. The Quake engine is likely the reason 3D shooters took over on PC after the days of Duke and Doom. From there you had various builds of the engine and then Unreal, which gave players the Unreal Editor, a fully-fledged toolbox of level design, allowing everything from building a map to special AI triggers and events players could build into it in a non-coded, streamlined manner.
Show off.

I remember playing Team Fortress on the quake engine. Good times.

And then Team Fortress Classic came out using the half-life engine, and that was basically all I ever wanted to play. 2fort all day, every day.

2Fort while listening to the shittiest quality mp3s Napster had to offer was basically how I spent 99-2000.

GasBandit

Staff member
Goldeneye 64 came out in 1997. Honestly, what FPS games before '97 blew Goldeneye out of the water? Jedi Knight came out in '97 and it was good, but it was just a different kind of game. I certainly don't think either Doom or Duke Nukem stood up to 007 technically and Goldeneye finally started the push from beyond "KILL ALL MONSTERS". I think it's rightfully so called a landmark game in the FPS genre.
Duke Nukem 3D deathmatch with friends blew goldeneye way out of the water. Sprite vs 3d polygonal characters aside, there was just nothing to compare with leaping out a window, turning around and firing a rocket in midair and hitting the guy chasing you while HE was in midair. Or the level with the football field, racing around like crazy people, shrinking and stomping on each other. Goldeneye was slow and plodding, and every level was a bland maze, and it didn't matter the characters were 3d because they had all the texture of a lego minifig.

Status
Not open for further replies.