Export thread

The Kickstarter Bonanza - Everything Edition

Dave

Dave

Fat Kid Rules the World : http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1499648032/fat-kid-rules-the-world-0?ref=live

FIlm directed my Matthew Lillard - Shaggy from the Scooby Doo movies and one of the main characters in Scream.

For you writers out there, look at the prize for $750. It's insane.

CRITIQUE YOUR NOVEL OR SCREENPLAY. KL Going who wrote the award winning novel FAT KID RULES THE WORLD will provide a professional consultation / critique of your manuscript. This is a service KL offers professionally to aspiring novelists and will give you her expertise/experience and advice. Service includes a two page overall critique and notes on the pages of your work in progress. Reports generally comment on all of the basics -- plot, voice, characters, setting, pacing, consistency and writing style. KL also writes comments directly on the pages as she reads. These range from line or word deletions, to thoughts relating to the larger themes that will appear in the report. This is an awesome reward. Not only is KL an amazing talent and gracious, lovely person, she wrote the book on this: Writing and Selling the YA Novel by KL Going! Check it out! (Of course, you'll also get a t-shirt, 7", stickers and dowloads!) (3 critques) avail. --or-- Are you screenwriter? Michael Galvin and Peter Speakman will offer their critique of your screenplay! (3 critiques avail)

Hylian

Hylian

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/802102307/awkward-zombie-volume-one

What is this?

Awkward Zombie is a gaming humor comic produced by Katie Tiedrich and updated every Monday. For the last five years, the comic has mostly parodied Nintendo games, with other series thrown in too. We'd like to print a compilation book of the first hundred comics, which can be followed by additional books if this one is successfully funded, and we need YOUR HELP to do that.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I'm a big fan of board games and this one was linked via Penny Arcade.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/zombicide

It was the first (and only) Kickstarter I've pledged to, although I regret not pitching in on the OotS kickstarter still.

Dave

Dave

Sorry, Hylian! I can't change the time stamp on your post to make it the first one.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Since Jay's thread is for games only I figured this would be a nice place for people to put all the Kickstarter projects that they find interesting.
It was only for games because it was in the games forum. Had we known there was enough interest for a Kickstarter Megathread, we'd have just put it up here instead!

Hylian

Hylian

It was only for games because it was in the games forum. Had we known there was enough interest for a Kickstarter Megathread, we'd have just put it up here instead!
I wasn't saying it against the other thread. I was just letting people know why there was two similar threads.

Hylian

Hylian

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hickies/hickies-turn-your-kicks-into-slip-ons?ref=category

You want to ditch your shoelaces. We know and feel your pain. Laces come undone and get filthy, you step on them and trip, and you've spent countless hours tying and untying them. Shoelaces have been around since about 3500 BC – technology has improved almost everything else and yet here we are still, with the same basic system invented by cavemen!
THAT’S WHY WE’VE CREATED HICKIES® – A ground-breaking lacing system that replaces traditional shoelaces and lets you easily slip in and out of your shoes while keeping them snug and secure. Never tie or untie your shoes again! Get rid of the bows and customize your footwear.

drifter

drifter

Or just learn not to tie granny knots and save your money.

-edit-

Ah, I wasn't paying close enough attention to Hylian's link, it's about turning shoes into slip-ons, not about laces coming untied. Still, this is probably good to know.

David

David

Whatever happened to velcro shoes? I thought they solved all problems with laces that Hickies are claiming to solve?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Whatever happened to velcro shoes? I thought they solved all problems with laces that Hickies are claiming to solve?
They got associated with the mentally handicapped and small children, giving a social stigma to people who wore them.

Hylian

Hylian

Plus with Velcro you are limited to whatever shoes they decide to make with Velcro. Not to mention you have that annoying tearing sound when you open and close the Velcro.

Dei

Dei

I posted this in the video games thread, but it should probably be here instead.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/369073015/roominate-make-it-yours

http://www.roominatetoy.com/index.html

Basically amazing and I think my daughter needs it.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Note to self: Start a Kickstarter..

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

You guys should kickstart The Grandmother Bumble Storytime Show

David

David

If you Kickstart, they will fund.

Cajungal

Cajungal

You guys should kickstart The Grandmother Bumble Storytime Show
YES. Do it, dearie!

PatrThom

PatrThom

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260688528/clang

Neal Stephenson reinvents the way you wave your stick around digitally.
JUST coming here to post this.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

I freakin loved the old game "MULE". I suppose those familiar with it won't be surprised. Anyway -

This Kickstarter campaign seeks to raise funds to develop Alpha Colony, an upcoming strategy game that is a licensed homage to M.U.L.E., the seminal multiplayer strategy game from 1983 designed by the late Danielle (née Dan) Bunten.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Kickstarter updates:

Fat Kid Rules The World is funded, with 8 grand to spare. Looking forward to seeing that on DVD.

BronyCon is funded, raising more than 6 times the required amount.

Awkward Zombie is funded, raising more than 10x the required amount.

Zombiecide is funded and raised more than 39x times the required amount.

Hickies is funded, raising more than 6x the required amount.

Roominate is funded, raising more than 3x what was needed.

So yeah... crowded sourced funding seems to be working.

Hylian

Hylian

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/999790007/trial-of-the-clone-a-choosable-path-gamebook-by-za

About this project

What's All This?
It's a choosable pathway gamebook, just like those books you played as a kid (whose name is now trademarked), but with the bonus that you can collect weapons, fight monsters, and use your powers.
About the Project
I’ve been making a comic called Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal for the last ten years, and have been very fortunate to see it grow into a nice little community. As it’s grown, it’s gone from mostly short one-liners to longer strips to full-blown stories. As a result, I’ve had a lot of people request that I write a book.

Since I was about 12, it’s been a dream of mine to write an adventure game like the old Lone Wolf books by Joe Dever. Thanks to some encouragement from my publishers at Breadpig, I finally did it. “Trial of the Clone” is a comedy science fiction story set in the future. Think Douglas Adams, but meaner. It’s taken a lot of time to build many different tracks for players to take, and I think you’ll enjoy it.

The book will also have over 20 illustrations by the amazing Chris Jones, some of which we’ll be showing off here.

Our initial goal ($15,000) is listed in the upper right. That’s enough to cover a lot of the printing costs and shipping. If we don’t reach that goal, you don’t pay anything. If we exceed that goal, you may get other things beyond the stuff you've been promised!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Haunts: The Manse Macabre funded, with 38 hours to go.

If you want in, now's the time. You can get a copy of the game for only 5 bucks.

Be cool! Like me!

David

David

OUYA: the android-based, Open Source video game console, which has already raised a million dollars in less than a day.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console

This is the kind of thing I've always hoped to see in a video game console: something that you can develop for and run any code on you want, without having to get any special licenses or permission. Essentially: a cheap, gaming-oriented PC with TV output.

Hylian

Hylian

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ocremix/a-4-disc-final-fantasy-6-album-from-oc-remix

“The Final Fantasy series is iconic for many reasons, including beautiful music that has been remixed, arranged and performed countless times worldwide. There is one game in the series that holds a special place in many of our hearts: Final Fantasy VI.

OverClocked ReMix (http://ocremix.org) has been paying tribute to the music of Final Fantasy (and many other games/series!) for over a decade. Our work has always been non-profit, and freely distributed. Back in 2007, with the help of many brilliant musicians from the OC ReMix community, I directed an album project (Voices of the Lifestream) based on Final Fantasy VII.
Now, I’m working together with McVaffe on an even grander tribute for Final Fantasy VI, in celebration of the series' 25th birthday. We just need your help in making sure the result is the very best it can be!
- Project Co-Director Andrew “zircon” Aversa
The Project

Final Fantasy VI: Balance and Ruin has been underway since last year - our goal is to arrange the bulk of the FF6 soundtrack in a varied (but cohesive) range of musical styles; from rock and hard electronic battles, to soft ballads, jazzy interludes, somber orchestral marches and an outrageously epic opera sequence, there will be something for everyone on the album. Though there will be a wide range of genres, we will be also keeping true to the spirit of the original soundtrack.

In order to achieve such a monumental task, a roster of over 30 veteran musicians (along with several talented newcomers) are contributing their music skills. They include the talents of:

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Knock-Knock, a game by Ice-Pick Lodge, makers of The Void, Cargo: the Quest for Gravity, and Pathologic (most depressing, artful game I've ever played).

Gameplay Details!

Hide! We have to emulate hide-and-seek with monstrous creatures of nightmares. It turned out to be a hybrid of Lode Runner, Home Alone and Nightmare Ned.
Don’t look now! Keep (your avatar) away from the night visitors. The objective of each new night is to hold out until dawn and stay sane. The Night (a level) lasts for 7-10 minutes each.
Turn on the light! Only illuminated rooms are a safe haven and allow freedom of movement. But the light does not last for long and needs permanent supervision.
Fix the house! The more breaches there are in the house, the more fear, darkness and creatures of the sick mind the hero has to withstand.

• Each night a number of useful tools appear in different rooms.
  • The player builds his very own house: any combination of rooms, stairs and doors are allowed. Any new room would increase the total amount of health and safety of the hero and open up new opportunities.
  • Every kind of Guest has a unique appearance, damage range, and personal characteristics. New seasons of the game will follow.
  • Everything that happens in the house is a clue. Uncover clues, master levels, stay sane and you will eventually expose the underlying mystery.
I can't wait to see what they come out wiht. I'm tempted to do the 47 dollar donation... if only because I KNOW Ice-Pick will make it worth it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

It must really suck to be that third guy and have to take a dump.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It must really suck to be that third guy and have to take a dump.
I'm reminded of a certain VG Cats strip...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Yeah, I remembered that too but was too lazy to go find it. Well done.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

We should make our halforums zombie mmorpg we discussed some years ago into a kickstarter.
I would almost say that's going to happen eventually, at this rate. People are taking the Zombie genre to it's logical conclusions much faster than anyone could have predicted.

GasBandit

GasBandit

We should make our halforums zombie mmorpg we discussed some years ago into a kickstarter.
I missed that discussion. Do you happen to have a thread link? Is it something along the lines of Day Z?

GasBandit

GasBandit

No link, I'm lazy. I don't know anything about day z, so I can't comment on it, but perhaps someone else can.

Short version was we brainstormed the idea of a time limit based zombie mmorpg that would involve roles and missions on both the human side and zombie side, and that individual games would last a predetermined amount of time measured in hours, days, weeks, and months to support a variety of players. But they would always end, and there would be a decisive winner either th zombies or the humans.
Oh. Interesting, I suppose, though not really my cup of tea.

Just a quick run down of Day Z, it's an Arma 2 mod that turns every player into a "survivor" with limited supplies (weapons, ammo, bandages, food you need for survival) in a persistent-world setting overrun by zombies. Loud noises (like gunshots) make the dead notice/chase you more. Zombies get thicker the more "urbanized" the environment, but so do the supplies... and other players may decide it's easier to kill you for your supplies than go into town and wrest them from the restless dead.

Dave

Dave

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game

VR headset? Hmmm. Watch the video and check out the companies who are getting behind it.

Necronic

Necronic

There was a company a while ago that made stereo-glasses (what this is doing from what it looks like). It was impressive how many companies supported it. Hopefully this one will be more succesful.

E

Eliwood

The webcomic No Need for Bushido is on hiatus right now and is trying to earn money to print books/start up the comic again as a full time venture.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1213991412/no-need-for-bushido-goes-pro-with-volumes-1-3

I'd really like to see them go full time so they can finish the story, but the kickstarter has been going for a month now and it doesn't look likely. :/

blotsfan

blotsfan

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game

VR headset? Hmmm. Watch the video and check out the companies who are getting behind it.
Doesn't this already exist?

Dave

Dave

Doesn't this already exist?

I have no idea what that is. You could be right, but this new product could be better. I don't know. I just thought the concept was cool.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I have no idea what that is. You could be right, but this new product could be better. I don't know. I just thought the concept was cool.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

That is the reason I wear glasses today.

Frank

Frank

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1433901524/numenera-a-new-roleplaying-game-from-monte-cook

Monte Cook, tabletop RPG designer extraordinaire, after ditching the 5th Ed design team after issues with the suits at WoTC, has put up a Kickstarter for his own indie TTRPG Numenera. It sounds pretty rad, and the guy is one of the most talented designers alive. The art looks gorgeous so I went in for a print copy of the player's manual.

And it took him like 16 seconds of having the Kickstarter up to get funded. He's going to be one of those KSs that ends up so far beyond what he expected.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hylian

Hylian

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1794375019/prime-wars?ref=users

A strategic card battle game featuring character designs from over 50 top artists.

In Prime Wars players are transported to a fantasy world torn apart by the different races that exist there, each one striving for survival and a chance to gain ultimate power. However, like most wars this one is full of mutiny, lies and manipulation. The races have become fragmented and it is now a war where everyone fights for their own blood. With the aim of the game to have no cards left in your hand, players have to think strategically about which races they take to battle at each opportunity.

Frank

Frank

Sounds neat, I'd need to see the Shut Up and Sit Down guys review it. As a side note, I really like Shut Up and Sit Down.

Frank

Frank

Hey, do you like miniatures such as those used when playing a little D&D or various other tabletop RPGs? Do you like painting miniatures? Well, Reaper Miniatures is doing a Kickstarter for their Bones line of minis. High quality, unpainted plastic sculpts. For like 100 bucks you get 132 miniatures and many options for expanding what you get (including cheap paint and carrying cases). It's really the most inexpensive means of getting miniatures I've ever seen.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...res-bones-an-evolution-of-gaming-min?ref=live

The vampire level pledge (100 bucks) gets you:

Every time they meet a stretch goal they keep adding to the 100 dollar level.

Frank

Frank

The shit for the 100 dollar pledge is getting kind of staggering at this point.

Bubble181

Bubble181

The shit for the 100 dollar pledge is getting kind of staggering at this point.
I have neither space nor need for more miniatures. But...Can't....Temptation....Argh.....You evil man. Pah!

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I have boxes of unopened miniatures... but I HAD TO HAVE THIS!!! Damn it Frank!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Stay Alive - Not Undead is a zombie awareness coloring book to give to young kids to warn them about the upcoming epidemic of zombie uprisings! They only need 6k to make this one happen, so I'm pretty sure they'll make it.

Frank

Frank

The Reaper bonanza is drawing to a close with only 40 hours left. Here's what they're up to so far:

Far

Far

I very much want to get in on this but with moving this month and buying a 3DS recently, I don't know that I can justify the purchase. On the other hand I would very likely never have to buy any minis again after as, even while it might not have EVERYTHING ever, there is enough variety that others from the set could be easily subbed in for pretty much anything I may need. Plus, so much opportunity to practice painting is hard to pass up.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I'm still doubting too. Maybe it could be a good reason for me to set some campaigns up again....But I've never painted a mini before and I don't know if I'd enjoy it. I know I wouldn't be any good at it, but that's obviously secondary...

Thing is, it isn't just a frickin' lot of mini's, it's also a good variety of useful ones. Not just 10 skeletons, 10 orcs, 10 goblins and one or two big guys.

Frank

Frank

I'm still doubting too. Maybe it could be a good reason for me to set some campaigns up again....But I've never painted a mini before and I don't know if I'd enjoy it. I know I wouldn't be any good at it, but that's obviously secondary...

Thing is, it isn't just a frickin' lot of mini's, it's also a good variety of useful ones. Not just 10 skeletons, 10 orcs, 10 goblins and one or two big guys.
You can buy those too if you want. They will add 20 random orcs to a pack for 25 bucks. That bundle is called Orcacalypse.

Far

Far

I...I...just couldn't...hold back. Oh, wallet, please forgive my nigh feverant spending of late...

Frank

Frank

The final tally, all said and done, is 240 minis with a ton of add-on options.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Darn, Cthulhu would've swayed me. Or being on line a bit earlier today :( Oh well.

Tress

Tress

Fun-looking board game on Kickstarter: Evil Spares None

Details spoiler'd for length.

A troubled night falls on Ravenwood, an otherwise picturesque neighborhood surrounded by dark trees. Teenagers whisper as recent events have proven the rumors of “dark curses” and “revenge” to be true. Run for your life and don't look back because Evil Spares None. Evil Spares None is a 2-4 player cooperative survival horror game that takes about 90 minutes to play. Live out a thrilling horror movie as your characters are stalked by an unstoppable masked psychopath. Evil Spares None is looking for supporters through Kickstarter so that we can get killer artwork, high quality materials, and a chance for contributors to join in the fun. See below for a description of the rewards! Learn more about the game.

The goal of the game is for players to survive until dawn while the Psychopath hunts down you and your friends. While on the run, your characters can come across crime scenes and gather evidence to hand over to the authorities and add to their investigation. Meanwhile, the Psychopath, independently controlled by a deck of cards, is busy adding to his score by killing and stealing evidence. If the player’s investigation reaches 16 points first, they have a chance to defeat and destroy the Psychopath permanently. If they fail, well then it’s a mad dash race for the exit, go ahead and throw your friends in the path of the enraged unstoppable madman.
Game Layout
The Map
The path that the players travel is a linear sequence of map tiles, each one representing a different location. While there will always be a path, there could be dead ends, locked doors, and out of the way areas great for playing “Seven Minutes in Heaven” or for hiding from a slobbering psychopath. The map will only be 2 tiles wide, if another map is added, the oldest one disappears, placing whoever is on it in mortal danger, so the pressure is on to run for your life.

The Risk So what if you don’t care about the Investigation? Life’s too short man, to be worried, live a little. Those players who aren’t goody-goody brown-nosers can linger around and use Risk cards. Risk cards are everything your parents told you not to do. They gain bonuses when player in areas off the main path, so find a nice corner and have some cheap beer, smokes, and a little hanky-panky to score points just for yourself. Let the others figure out who put a hatchet through your classmate’s skull, you just raided your old man’s top shelf stuff. Be aware, that the more you use Risk cards, the more the Psychopath takes a particular interest in you.

The Stalk-O-Meter The Stalk-O-Meter is a queue line for who the Psychopath is stalking. Think of it as his “to-do” list, but instead of “do” it’s “kill brutally”. The Psychopath always makes a direct path towards his target, wherever they may be. Certain Action cards that the player’s draw can rearrange the Stalk-O-Meter. Like pointing out how Bernadette has nice new, flimsy high heels. ​The Psychopath The Psychopath is controlled by a deck of cards. After each player’s turn, they draw a card that determines, what the psychopath does to his target (determined by the Stalk-O-Meter). The Psychopath Deck is dynamic and changes based on how many chopped up corpses are on his body pile (i.e. “Score”). At first, some cards have no action giving you just enough breathing space to think you have a handle on things and you might make it out alive. Then boom, he bursts in at the worst time and spins about the room like a chainsaw ballerina. Once the Psychopath gains enough points, he can activate powers such as smashing through walls, rising from the dead, and appearing right behind you.
I'M WATCHING YOU
What's in the box? WHAT'S IN THE BOX!? 1 Box
11 Maps
40 Action Cards
30 Monster – General Cards
7 Monster – Psycrow Cards
1 Psycrow Profile Card
8 Lock Cards
14 Secret Cards
12 Character Profile Cards
12 Evidence Cards
12 Wound Cards
12 Character Tokens
9 Townie Tokens
4 Evidence Tokens
2 Point Markers
1 Rule book
13 Pawns
4 Spinners
4 Dice

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Knock-Knock is less than 500 bucks away from it's goal and has 13 days left. It's virtually assured to go over it's goal by a few thousand, though I doubt it's going to hit it's first stretch goal.

evilmike

evilmike

Nothing if not ambitious -- A Space Elevator.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This isn't exactly a Kickstarter, as it's free, but it's still pretty good: La-Mulana's english translation is trying to get on Steam. However, they are doing it via Steam Greenlight because apparently a well known, high profile indie game doesn't meet their standards or something.

All you gotta do to support them is go to the page, vote it up, and hopefully they get enough votes to get on Steam!

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

My friends at Redlamp Arts are doing a Kickstarter to get their new and improved Thermal Detonator prop out to the public. Rachel has been making previous versions for years and has always been swamped with orders, which is what led to the simpler, DIY redesign. These things have been a huge hit with the Star Wars cosplay/costumer community for years and this is basically the first time she's been able to get a large number of them out to the community at large.

Rewards right now are...

- Foil Stickers, featuring a custom design
- Cold cast aluminum detonator key chains (30mm diameter)
- T-shirts (by Preston). Two designs available. Sizes for adults are S-4XL and child sizes are XS-XL.
- DIY assembly version of the thermal detonator
- Fully assembled, hand polished version of the detonator, which comes complete with lights and sound effects, triggered by pulling back on the handle.

You can add extra shirts or detonators if you'd like, just mention it to her.

She's only aiming at 5k right now, but she does have stretch goals in the works, including adding in ring stands for the dets (for those who just want to display them on their shelves). So go and help her out.

@Li3n

@Li3n

A documentary about the history of D&D, and it's so close with only 4 more days: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andrewpascal/dungeons-and-dragons-a-documentary

Spread the word if you can.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

What's that? You want a Goon Movie? Finally you can make it happen!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/624061548/the-goon-movie-lets-kickstart-this-sucker

Tress

Tress

I may be the only person here who gives a shit, but I'll post it anyway...

I like seeing all the cool designs people can pack into a deck of cards. I even started collecting designer decks. With that in mind, here's the "Bohemia" set on Kickstarter. It's already paid for, so if you have any interest in these cards you will definitely get anything you "purchase."

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

What's that? You want a Goon Movie? Finally you can make it happen!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/624061548/the-goon-movie-lets-kickstart-this-sucker
God dammit, I wish I had the money right now.

Piotyr

Piotyr

As much as I'd like to see a Goon movie come to be, that Kickstarter project might be against KS's rules. It's not the funding to make the movie, it's funding to make a demo reel to pitch to major studios, which would make it an open-ended project. And you would have to back $10k just to see the results of the project.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

As much as I'd like to see a Goon movie come to be, that Kickstarter project might be against KS's rules. It's not the funding to make the movie, it's funding to make a demo reel to pitch to major studios, which would make it an open-ended project.
No it wouldn't. A demo reel is a clear goal, it would eventually be completed, and in the end, something would be produced from the kickstarter. That's enough to cover the "no open ended kickstarters" rule.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It's also likely that the demo reel would be released on YouTube or as a DVD extra on the official release of the movie if it IS picked up.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/critsuccess/dice-rings

The video is 50x better than the product.... I'm still buying a Dice Ring though :p

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

http://www.indiegogo.com/elysiumonline

Not a Kicksterter, but IndieGoGo. This looks like an amazing project and I think I'll shell out $20 for it.

The story is about Elysium, a revolutionary social network. By logging in you’ll be able to interact with your deceased loved ones who now exist in a digital afterlife. It’s October 2021 and everyone is eagerly anticipating its official release.

Tress

Tress

drifter

drifter

Hey DarkAudit have you seen this?

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Thanks to everyone who supported my friend's kickstarter. She raised over $12,000 and shipped more than 130 detonators thanks to your support! Emboldened by the success of her last project, she's decided to do another. As always, I appreciate any help you guys can give getting the word out!

Hide your Padawans! Introducing the Darkside Holocron!

Thanks for checking out my Kickstarter! My name is Rachel, I'm a designer, and I recently completed a successful collaboration campaign with my friend and fellow artist Preston (found here: Thermal Detonator). That campaign was educational, to say the least, and now I'm moving onward armed with the information and techniques to make this Kickstarter project even better. My goal is to create and provide beautifully sculpted props to the costuming and greater fan communities.

Like the last project, I'll be utilizing the awesome technology of 3D printing to assist in crafting the initial parts needed to start casting. These parts are then finally assembled into an especially cool pyramidal sculpture made for display. This is a design I've always wanted to do, now it's becoming a reality, and I'll be placing one for myself in the living room as an accent light.

Cold cast and polished brass have a very shiny gold-look and it will be well-contrasted by a red translucent interior that will look great with or without lighting. For scale, as planned, the sides of the sculpture have a 10 cm base (~4 in). The plan right now is to set up the sculptures with lighting so they can either be run from battery power or from an adapter you can plug into the wall to give you the option to use it with a costume or to keep it powered up as a show piece!

I have a few possible stretch goals in mind now but I'll hold off on those until we get rolling and wanted to keep the project simple, focus on what was popular last time and cut down on complication for you. The designs for stickers and patches will be forthcoming as we ramp up, and I'm sure you'll love them! Thanks for having a look and lets have a great run!

Risks and challenges

This project is very similar in scope to the one I have just completed, which make the risks low and the challenges few. The final filigree design may need to change slightly based on Shapeways' ability to print the current design, but changes would be very minor and stay true to the original concept.
Because the original design was created using CG technology, the physical result will have a slightly more textured surface than depicted, due to the nature of casting by hand, each one unique.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

DO WANT!!!!

Tress

Tress

Founders Playing Cards

An awesome deck of cards with art inspired by prominent figures from American history. Great design, too.

jwhouk

jwhouk

The latest is a non-kickstarter program:

Dodge Dart Registry program

You can literally help someone "buy" a car - piece by piece.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Cosplayers Tallest Silver and Kit Quinn are hoping to make a webseries "Sweethearts of the Galaxy"

Does anyone have $10,000 they could give me?

evilmike

evilmike

The Veronica Mars Movie Project -- Announced and reportedly funded in 10 hours.

MindDetective

MindDetective

An elaborate Kickstarter prank? I'm kind of amazed at reached the levels it did. I'm curious as to how it will end...on April 1st.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

With the Veronica Mars Kickstarter funded, you can just bet people will be bugging Joss Whedon even more now about Firefly.

linglingface

linglingface

Zachary Levi's hoping for a Chuck movie too, since Veronica Mars was so successful!

Far

Far

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-worlds-first-3d-printing-pen?ref=category

A 3D pen, probably already meantioned here. Watch the video, it's rather a neat idea.
I was on the fence about getting this. I really want one but decided to hold off. Now that I have, if I do decide to pledge, I won't get mine until at least february.

Hylian

Hylian

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1149526007/zelda-majoras-mask-reproductions?ref=search

I really want one of these but I can't see dropping $235 for one. :(

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

If you had said something 3 days ago, I'd have directed you to this one: Majora's Mask Replicas By Riley Planalp. $155 for a raw, unpainted and unfinished Majora's mask or $160 for a finished Couple's Mask.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

With the Veronica Mars Kickstarter funded, you can just bet people will be bugging Joss Whedon even more now about Firefly.
They did, he said "Fucking get over it already. It's not going to happen."

Hylian

Hylian

If you had said something 3 days ago, I'd have directed you to this one: Majora's Mask Replicas By Riley Planalp. $155 for a raw, unpainted and unfinished Majora's mask or $160 for a finished Couple's Mask.

Now I am saddened even more :(

Tress

Tress

Krisken

Krisken

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/michaelmindes/eminent-domain-escalation?ref=live

Eminent Domain expansion has 3 days left. It's already funded, but the game is great and you can get the expansion and the regular game for a pretty good price.

Hylian

Hylian

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

[URL='http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/svelbjorn/fae-and-fantasy-caricature-garden-sculptures']Fae & Fantasy Caricature Garden Sculptures
[/url]

Friend of a friend wants to do a small line of Garden Sculptures based on people he knows. He could use the support, if this is your kind of thing.

Krisken

Krisken

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1799046854/a-study-in-emerald I just backed this, you should too. A game by designed by Martin Wallace based on a short story by Neil Gaiman. Lets get those stretch goals!!!

Tress

Tress

Krisken

Krisken

Woot! the game I'm backing reached it's minimum goal. Hopefully some of the neat stretch goals are reached too. Some of the cards for the game.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Woot! the game I'm backing reached it's minimum goal. Hopefully some of the neat stretch goals are reached too. Some of the cards for the game.

This looks amazing, how can you not include a link to this kickstarter?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1799046854/a-study-in-emerald

Krisken

Krisken

I did?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1799046854/a-study-in-emerald I just backed this, you should too. A game by designed by Martin Wallace based on a short story by Neil Gaiman. Lets get those stretch goals!!!

Frank

Frank

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...podcast-downloadable-content-the-ret?ref=live

I know this isn't the first Kickstarter for a podcast (lord knows I've donated to two of them in the past) but for some reason this one leaves me feeling a little disgusted. The 10 dollar goal seems to just scream, "We were going to do this anyway, lets see how much money our fans (who've already made us millionaires) will shovel at us."

I guess if people are willing to shovel dat cash at them, let them.

Wait, 55 dollars for an mp3 of the theme music! SIGN ME UP!

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Eh, there was no way they weren't going to get enough pledges to at least hit their first "stretch goal" (needing all of 2000 fans who want 2 weeks early access to the podcast is nothing), so whatever the original goal is listed as is basically irrelevant. It also fits their sense of humor to go from a kickstarter that was criticized for lack of stretch goals to one that is technically all stretch goals.

Frank

Frank

They have an easy way to make a quick 50k with little more than 200 hours of paying an intern to edit a podcast.

Why wouldn't they milk their fanbase?
I can't fault them for doing it, just feels so slimy.

Frank

Frank

Ugh, Khoo defending it on Twitter talking about how content creation costs money.

The podcast is literally them turning on a microphone while they write the day's comic.

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Ugh, Khoo defending it on Twitter talking about how content creation costs money.

The podcast is literally them turning on a microphone while they write the day's comic.
Didn't you read the kickstarter pitch? It's so much more than that. For instance, Khoo has to edit it. And then, that baby isn't going to upload itself, is it? No, it must be mounted in a specialised marble crate and shipped directly to Apple, where it is painstakingly etched by the world's finest artisans in dozens of languages, preserved for all time in the Obelisk of the Podcasts. Only then can it be released to the foul, unwashed masses, drooling and climbing over each other to listen, just for a moment, just to maybe hear a whisper of the genius behind... shitcock.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

People have been saying the Kickstarters for Veronica Mars or Zach Braff's movie are making a joke of Kickstarter, but honestly? Penny Arcade have been doing a much, much better job of that. I wasn't even remotely impressed with their first Kickstarter and this one's even worse.

Krisken

Krisken

The only thing I could see is the bandwidth costs, but wow this is a sad grab for money. Congrats fellas at Penny Arcade, you've finally integrated the worst bits of Kurtz. Maybe you'll give up on it shortly after it starts.

Frank

Frank

The reward tiers are beyond terrible.

1000 dollars

"All previous rewards at $250 level and below, and you and a pal play through some co-op levels for an hour with us over Xbox Live. Game TBD (probably Monaco)."

Holy shit. A WHOLE HOUR! Bob Mackey wrote an amazing article about this nonsense when they did the Kickstarter thing last time. I'ma find it.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/penny-arcade-kickstarter.php

evilmike

evilmike

Krisken

Krisken

Holy shit I laughed at that.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Honest question, would anyone who has a problem with the PA kickstarter also have been upset if they had just sold early access passes to their new podcast through their website? Or flat out put them behind a paywall? Basically is the problem that they're monetizing a podcast, or monetizing a podcast via kickstarter?

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Honest question, would anyone who has a problem with the PA kickstarter also have been upset if they had just sold early access passes to their new podcast through their website? Or flat out put them behind a paywall? Basically is the problem that they're monetizing a podcast, or monetizing a podcast via kickstarter?
I feel like Kickstarter has a lot to do with it, just because of the way they're selling it. It's less "We shouldn't fund podcasts!" and more "Seriously? No one's buying this 'extra cost' to insert a microphone in front of Jerry and Mike when you have done it for literally years prior."

Truthfully I'm a huge PA fan. I never liked the podcast (or the episodes of PATV where they made the comic) because I have no interest in that process, but I fucking love the comic and I've travelled to PAX Prime twice.

I take zero issue with the KS as far as, hey, let's make money from people who want our shit. I take issue as far as "Let's lie obfuscate some facts about why."

Tress

Tress

Frank

Frank

The stretch goals are mind numbingly shitty. 75000 dollars? We'll load some videos onto the USBs for people who paid 55 dollars or more!

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

The stretch goals are mind numbingly shitty. 75000 dollars? We'll load some videos onto the USBs for people who paid 55 dollars or more!
It's expensive work, putting videos on USB sticks. You have to click, but also drag. And not one after the other, no, at the same time. You think anyone can learn to do that? Hell no, that's a specialist you gotta hire.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I really wish they just got exactly $10 for it.

Frank

Frank

http://www.firstshowing.net/2013/za...-film-lands-josh-gad-and-gets-full-financing/

Apparently Zach Braff's Kickstarter funded movie just got corporate financing and the Kickstarter campaign was a pawn in getting real money to make his movie. Really keeping that indie spirit alive.

Nice little quote from Braff during an interview while he was doing the Kickstarter campaign.

MN: Have any industry types who’d rejected you before come and said, ‘You know, maybe we were too hasty. Can we get back in?'

ZB: Of course. It’s always like that for me. It was like that with 'Garden State. It was like that with the play I did a few years ago (the dialogue-heavy comedy 'All New People,' which played off-Broadway and then on the West End). People who were cold suddenly are hot after it comes out.

MN: Would you take any of their money now?

ZB: I think that would be in bad taste for all the people who are backing this. It wouldn’t be in the spirit of the thing.

Unless he refunds the Kickstarter, which there is no sign of yet, what a disingenuous fuck.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Wow, what a fucking douchebag. I was thinking of backing it, but not anymore. I'd also thought about finally watching Garden State. Fuck him.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Wow, what a fucking douchebag. I was thinking of backing it, but not anymore. I'd also thought about finally watching Garden State. Fuck him.
Garden State REALLY spoke to me when I was 17 years old. Take that as a huge insult or mild insult however you will, haha.

But yeah, this is really scummy.

Frank

Frank

Update!

Dear All,

The movie trade publication "The Hollywood Reporter" released an article today with a lot of wrong information about our project and I need to clear up some of what they said. I seem to get called a "douchebag" quite often these days. And that's fine; not everyone's gonna root for my success... but I can't sit by while my fans get wrong facts.

This is a whole new way of making a movie. There is lots of discourse on Earth about it. Some of it is very misinformed. Let's clear it up so you have it from my mouth. I will tell you the truth. As David Mamet's writes in his masterpiece, "Glengarry Glen Ross": The truth is the easiest thing to remember:

The Truth:

— The story out there about the movie being fully funded by some financier is wrong.

I have said on here and in every interview I've done on this project that the film would be fully financed from 3 sources:

My Kickstarter Backers
My own money
Pre-Selling foreign theatrical distribution.

Those three amounts will bring us to a budget of around 5 to 6 million dollars.

— Nothing about the making of this movie has changed. This movie is happening because backers funded it.

This film would not be happening without my backers. The traditional way is to have a financier put up the money and then sell the foreign rights. What I did, was to say to my fans, "If you and I provide the capital, we don't need some rich dude dictating how we make the movie; we can then go sell foreign distibution and we'll be all the way to our goal. Are you interested in that? So far 38,455 people have said yes.

— What happened today is that a financial company agreed to fill in the gap between what Kickstarter backers have funded and what I have put in, and what the movie will actually cost. Shooting could not happen without this.

When you pre-sell foreign distribution, you don't get that money for some time. So you need to go to a company to provide something called "Gap Financing". They are essentially a bank. Loaning us the "gap" between what we've raised together and what we need to actually make the movie. I have no idea where a 10 million dollar number came from but it is wrong and a lie.
Bad reporting? Zach covering his tracks?

Sounds like Zach might've pissed off some folk in Hollywood and they are out to ruin his shit a little.

I'm afraid I was too eager to believe he was an underhanded scumbag just based on how unbearable I found Garden State.

GasBandit

GasBandit

BUUUUUURN ZACH ANYWAY!!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Garden State still sucks

*speeds away in motor scooter while The Shins plays*

Gusto

Gusto

The PA Kickstarter makes me feel a little ooky but I want more podcasts from them and have got hours of enjoyment from listening to them. I gave the minimum amount to avoid the micropayment paywall, and can't really fault others for wanting to do the same.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Frank

Frank

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/649924296/brigade-returns?ref=live

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOD

NO GOD PLEASE NOOO

NOOOO

NOOOO

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Office theme song

Frank

Frank

Hey, do you like miniatures such as those used when playing a little D&D or various other tabletop RPGs? Do you like painting miniatures? Well, Reaper Miniatures is doing a Kickstarter for their Bones line of minis. High quality, unpainted plastic sculpts. For like 100 bucks you get 132 miniatures and many options for expanding what you get (including cheap paint and carrying cases). It's really the most inexpensive means of getting miniatures I've ever seen.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...res-bones-an-evolution-of-gaming-min?ref=live

The vampire level pledge (100 bucks) gets you:

Every time they meet a stretch goal they keep adding to the 100 dollar level.
Finally, my package is being delivered tomorrow after being held up by UPS for weeks. SO STOKED!

I got one of the vampire and just about every single add-on possible. It's just under a billion miniatures. Gonna make my Pathfinder crew help me paint them.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Finally, my package is being delivered tomorrow after being held up by UPS for weeks. SO STOKED!

I got one of the vampire and just about every single add-on possible. It's just under a billion miniatures. Gonna make my Pathfinder crew help me paint them.

Are these things finally getting delivered?!!!! Can't wait to get mine!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Spike Lee is kickstarting his next indie movie, and if it doesn't get funded while fucking Veronica Mars* and Zach Braff exceeded theirs, I will scream

*I love Veronica Mars

Tress

Tress

It's been 10 years (give or take) since Spike Lee did anything good.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

It's been 10 years (give or take) since Spike Lee did anything good.

Spoken as someone that hasn't watched any of his documentary work or interviews on "Winning Time".

Oldboy's probably going to rule, though.

Far

Far

Yeah I got an email saying they were coming on the 11th I think it was and the UPS tracker hasn't updated since. They said they had to take down their international container due to so error but I've yet to hear an update since.

I got vampire as well as a few sets of paint the carrying case and a larger dragon.

Edit: Oh shit, email says they are in Calgary!

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Spike Lee is kickstarting his next indie movie...

Unbelievably excited for this, and the kickstarter rewards are all pretty awesome as well.

Tress

Tress

Spoken as someone that hasn't watched any of his documentary work or interviews on "Winning Time".

I've seen the documentaries you are talking about. Wasn't impressed.

But since we're making assumptions, try this one on for size: if Spike Lee were white and/or more mainstream, you would hate him. He could make the exact same films frame for frame, and you would hate him.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

I've seen the documentaries you are talking about. Wasn't impressed.

But since we're making assumptions, try this one on for size: if Spike Lee were white and/or more mainstream, you would hate him. He could make the exact same films frame for frame, and you would hate him.
lol

Tress

Tress

I don't really believe that. I'm just tossing out stupid assumptions the same way you do to everyone else.

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Bumble the Boy Wonder

Stumbled across this one. My girlfriend has a jean vest she's covered in pins and I figured these are some cute pins and the prices are cheap cheap!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/55158045/woof-dog-themed-pinback-button?ref=small_projects

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

it was just a flippant way of saying I really, really loved his documentary work in the last 10 years

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Oldboy was already perfect. It didn't need to be remade with white actors.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Oldboy was already perfect. It didn't need to be remade with white actors.

Neither did The Departed, but that turned out pretty good.

Frank

Frank

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOA YEAAAAAAAAAH!

Box weighed over 20 pounds.

Krisken

Krisken

Can't wait to see them painted! :troll:

Frank

Frank

I just got them damn it. I'm making my Pathfinder crew help with that monumental task.

Bubble181

Bubble181

So jealous. Should have pledged. Stayed on the fence too long. Me idiot.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I just got them damn it. I'm making my Pathfinder crew help with that monumental task.

Did you get an email about them? I still haven't heard anything about mine.

Frank

Frank

Did you get an email about them? I still haven't heard anything about mine.
Yeah, I got an email when my tracking slip was finally updated.

That Kaladrax model is so fucking big. I could never use it in D&D or Pathfinder. It's seriously like 18 inches across with over a foot wingspan. I was not expecting it to be so monstrous.

Far

Far

Bubble181

Bubble181

*hits self over the head with Kaladrax model until unconscious*

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Yeah, I got an email when my tracking slip was finally updated.

That Kaladrax model is so fucking big. I could never use it in D&D or Pathfinder. It's seriously like 18 inches across with over a foot wingspan. I was not expecting it to be so monstrous.

This just means you need to design something specifically to use your Kaladrax model in... to not use it in a game would be blasphemous... :)

Krisken

Krisken

Super stoked for A Study in Emerald. Got my "need your information" email today and this looks like it is actually coming out when projected (October).

Newest update has these images, which look great.

Love the look of the Gods! Cthulhu looks fantastic!

Dave

Dave

Test of the new Kickstarter media parser.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I think I can count on one hand how many times I've donated to a kickstarter. It's less than 3 that I've done more than the minimum to get the object in question:

Has me donating a few tiers down. Holy hell I'm excited.

Dave

Dave

That looks cool, but not enough for me to donate. For me to donate it's got to hit me as SUPERAWESOMEYEAH!!

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

That looks cool, but not enough for me to donate. For me to donate it's got to hit me as SUPERAWESOMEYEAH!!
Well it's a DLC to a game I have more than 500hrs in, so that's my personal reason :)

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Well, it's not a kickstarter yet, but it's going to be, and is worth mentioning:

Frank

Frank

Oh....good lord. Already?

Dave

Dave

Are you affiliated with it?

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Are you affiliated with it?
:confused:

No, I backed the first one, but that's the extent of my interactions with Reaper.

Dave

Dave

:confused:

No, I backed the first one, but that's the extent of my interactions with Reaper.
You just sounded like you had inside information is all.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Ah, ok. No, that poster was up at Gencon this year.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Spike Lee's new film got funded :)

Frank

Frank

Alright, I cannot atest to the quality of this game or whatever, but fuck me do these miniatures look good. Seriously gorgeous. I'm in for a hundo for the Nasier and Goritsi sets (which comes with the rule book) for no other reason than those models will look fantastic in my pathfinder campaign.

Vrii

Vrii

Alright, I cannot atest to the quality of this game or whatever, but fuck me do these miniatures look good. Seriously gorgeous. I'm in for a hundo for the Nasier and Goritsi sets (which comes with the rule book) for no other reason than those models will look fantastic in my pathfinder campaign.

Those are the nicest-looking models I've seen since Rackham stopped selling Confrontation stuff. Enough to make me wish I had the money to spare right now, I could stand to do some painting.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Hey guys, I know there were a few people that backed the Reaper bones miniatures kickstarter. How many of you have received your models or at least gotten a shipping notification?

It's coming to the very end here and I haven't even got a shipping notification. Getting kind of worried.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

Thanks stienman, I've sent them an email so hopefully they can figure out where my miniatures ended up.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Here's a question: is there anyone who actually reads KS mails? Or, conversely, is there a way to not miss the important stuff?
I've backed, what, 4 KS's so far, so not an enormous amount , but between the project updates, information mails, and newsletters of KS themselves, I've had to include a filter marking them all as read and removing them from my inbox view - getting 10 mails a day isn't irregular.
However, I've now noticed that some of the digital rewards were distributed just by a single line with a link in a single mail. That's...Pretty annoying.
So now I'm trying to figure out how to not miss the big ones, while still ignoring most all the others.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Here's a question: is there anyone who actually reads KS mails? Or, conversely, is there a way to not miss the important stuff?
I've backed, what, 4 KS's so far, so not an enormous amount , but between the project updates, information mails, and newsletters of KS themselves, I've had to include a filter marking them all as read and removing them from my inbox view - getting 10 mails a day isn't irregular.
However, I've now noticed that some of the digital rewards were distributed just by a single line with a link in a single mail. That's...Pretty annoying.
So now I'm trying to figure out how to not miss the big ones, while still ignoring most all the others.
I've supported... 5-6? And I've never got so inundated. I think you just got unlucky and backed some chatty people.

Frank

Frank

Yeah, most of the ones I've backed at best send out one a week.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I've only backed one (Carmageddon) and they send something out once every 3-4 weeks.

phil

phil

My buddy is kickstarting a documentary to document their kickstarting of a game.

Frank

Frank

Move over Spike Lee you fucking hack, REAL DIRECTOR needs our KS bux.

Please don't give money to this.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Move over Spike Lee you fucking hack, REAL DIRECTOR needs our KS bux.

Please don't give money to this.
I can't wait to see this fail.... my sister though? I can already see her money flying at the screen.

Where the money goes

The money goes all for cocaine for the stars down the nose.
That was funny though.

Tress

Tress

Just Me

Just Me

A fellow player from The Secret World finally shared why he could not play for some time now:

blotsfan

blotsfan

Well, this comic artist has either went crazy, an unapologetic scam artist, or a pretentious piece of shit. There was a kickstarter for a comic book and s/he decided that rich people suck, and therefore will not get any rewards from him, as well as also not get their money back.

If theres something seriously wrong with him then I hope he gets help, but if not...what an asshole.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Well, this comic artist has either went crazy, an unapologetic scam artist, or a pretentious piece of shit. There was a kickstarter for a comic book and s/he decided that rich people suck, and therefore will not get any rewards from him, as well as also not get their money back.

If theres something seriously wrong with him then I hope he gets help, but if not...what an asshole.
...wow. Just...wow. This is how he treats people that gave him $50k in order to publish this book? I only skimmed through his huge post, but it seems like the guy just went nuts.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This artist is infamous for the lies they tell. This was likely a series of additional lies with maybe a few truths put into it.

Honestly, I give no fucks. If they can live with the consequences of this action, then go ahead. Just understand that they hurt a lot of people just to prove a point.

David

David

Isn't that... well... robbing people? In a criminal, "you are going to get a court involved and possibly jail time" way?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Isn't that... well... robbing people? In a criminal, "you are going to get a court involved and possibly jail time" way?
There's a loophole in kickstarters that says "this project may fail at any time for any reason and you don't have any method of seeking a refund or anything." That's the real pisser. Every kickstarter that bails on its obligations damages the crowdsourcing industry as a whole. Frankly I hope this guy breaks all his fingers and they never heal right again.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Except I feel like the project didn't fail. He intentionally scammed people, and theres proof.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

There's a loophole in kickstarters that says "this project may fail at any time for any reason and you don't have any method of seeking a refund or anything." That's the real pisser. Every kickstarter that bails on its obligations damages the crowdsourcing industry as a whole. Frankly I hope this guy breaks all his fingers and they never heal right again.
Except this isn't a matter of failure. It's out and out fraud. He HAS the books. He's just not sending them out and instead destroying them to make a (stupid) point. He's admitted as much.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that he still has his TopatoCo store up, so he's still selling merchandise and making money. What a fucking hypocrite.

Video of him burning the books is up on his tumblr.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Except this isn't a matter of failure. It's out and out fraud. He HAS the books. He's just not sending them out and instead destroying them to make a (stupid) point. He's admitted as much.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that he still has his TopatoCo store up, so he's still selling merchandise and making money. What a fucking hypocrite.

Video of him burning the books is up on his tumblr.
I'm not saying he's right, I'm saying there's not much hope of him being taken to task legally for it.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm not saying he's right, I'm saying there's not much hope of him being taken to task legally for it.
It basically depends on how actionable the contract is between the backer and the creator. What he's doing DOES violate the KS terms of service though.

• Kickstarter does not offer refunds. A Project Creator is not required to grant a Backer’s request for a refund unless the Project Creator is unable or unwilling to fulfill the reward.
  • Project Creators are required to fulfill all rewards of their successful fundraising campaigns or refund any Backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill.
  • Project Creators may cancel or refund a Backer’s pledge at any time and for any reason, and if they do so, are not required to fulfill the reward.
His only legal actions are to ether fulfill the orders or give them back their money. If he doesn't, he's violating the contract he forged with his backers. That said, it's really going to depend upon if he's made someone angry enough to sue... though it seems like an excellent way for someone to acquire the rights to his creative property (especially since he apparently doesn't want anything to do with it anymore).

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

That's what bothers me the most about all this. He's not just throwing his hands up and saying "fuck y'all" to the fans because he can't deliver. Because he CAN deliver. He HAS the books. Instead of being a total douche nozzle, he could just figure out a way to get those last 127 books sent out. This is a "fuck y'all" attitude towards people that SUPPORTED him and helped make succeed his goal. It's the utmost height of unprofessionalism.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

That's what bothers me the most about all this. He's not just throwing his hands up and saying "fuck y'all" to the fans because he can't deliver. Because he CAN deliver. He HAS the books. Instead of being a total douche nozzle, he could just figure out a way to get those last 127 books sent out. This is a "fuck y'all" attitude towards people that SUPPORTED him and helped make succeed his goal. It's the utmost height of unprofessionalism.
Are you trying to claim that publicly burning the books that people paid you for and supported you for just because some people sent you a mean email is unprofessional?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Are you trying to claim that publicly burning the books that people paid you for and supported you for just because some people sent you a mean email is unprofessional?
Well, yes, as a matter of fact.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Well, yes, as a matter of fact.
Well I'll be damned.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Adolescent Hissyfit: A Kickstarter Story

Frank

Frank

At any rate, it's an interesting story. Someone should make a kickstarter movie that documents this situation.

I'd watch that.
Written by, directed by and starring Shia LaBeuof.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Written by, directed by and starring Actual Cannibal Shia LaBeuof.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Super Academy is funded and I helped! YAYS!

David

David

evilmike

evilmike

LittleSin

LittleSin

I just downloaded a bunch of classic reading rainbow for Jet. Wasn't sure if he wouldl ike it but he LOVES it.

Really glad to see this getting funded.

May toss in a bit the next pay day...I'd love to see them funded for a few years.

David

David

I had no doubt it would get funded, but I'm surprised by the speed of it. It looks like it's going at a current rate of reaching 100% of funding every day. This has got to be on track to breaking some kind of Kickstarter record.

Edit: Apparently is has the distinction of already being on Kickstarter's top funded page, with more than 30 days to go

https://www.kickstarter.com/discover/most-funded?ref=footer

Bubble181

Bubble181

Let's hope they start including internationalisation in their stretch goals. Personal opinion, of course, and one many backers probably wouldn't agree with.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Let's hope they start including internationalisation in their stretch goals. Personal opinion, of course, and one many backers probably wouldn't agree with.
Right now their goal is to get on as many platforms as they can. Initial goals were to get a website going, finance it's operations, and to continue providing the Apple app. Now they are making plans for android and a way to get it into public libraries for free.

tegid

tegid

This may be of some interest here:

A children's adventure book with a strong girl as a protagonist.

It's quite nice and it's already funded, with stretch goals for everyone.

evilmike

evilmike

PatrThom

PatrThom

What's the stretch goal?

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

What's the stretch goal?

--Patrick
Stretch goals:
$35 - I will make 4x as much Potato Salad. I know $40 isn't 4x $10, but you guys have earned it.
$75 - Pizza Party!
$100 - I will try two different Potato Salad recipes.
$250 - Better mayonnaise (from the natural foods section)
$300 - Call a chef to get a better recipe
$350 - Make way more potato salad and probably do a third recipe.

Krisken

Krisken

Ok, this seemed stupid at first, but now I fully support potato salad guy. Pretty damn cool if you ask me.

David

David

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dweiner/maintenance-free-bicycles-that-make-cycling-easy
A $350 ($400 after initial funding) bicycle that requires no maintenance. Or in other words, you ride it until one of the non-serviceable parts break and you throw it out in a few years. Still, seems good for getting around the city and not totally ruining you to replace if it winds up getting stolen.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

A $350 ($400 after initial funding) bicycle that requires no maintenance. Or in other words, you ride it until one of the non-serviceable parts break and you throw it out in a few years. Still, seems good for getting around the city and not totally ruining you to replace if it winds up getting stolen.
The only real innovation on this bike is using the rubber belt gear instead of a greased chain. This means it's going to be a bit harder to peddle but at least it won't rust up.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I don't like this idea. It's the same idea that corporations looking for profit have been doing with commercialized products: make them cheap and disposable so you almost need to just buy a new one every couple of years.

There are ways to protect your bike better from being stolen. Most bike shops that will give you at least one year of free maintenance if you buy one of their bikes. It sucks when something breaks while you're riding. Lord knows I've been there. But it's no different than something in a car breaking.[DOUBLEPOST=1405435023,1405434475][/DOUBLEPOST]Skimming through this, I have a few thoughts:

-Speaking from personal experience, puncture-resistance tires do not guarantee they won't puncture.
-Most bike shops can give your wheels bolts instead of quick-releases. I have bolts on my wheels.
-Only three gears feels very limiting.
-Really don't like the foot break. Disc or wheel breaks, while requiring more maitenance, have much better stopping power. Not to mention comfort when, say, you're at a stop light and need to adjust your pedals so you can push right off when the light turns green.
-The belt drive is fine and dandy and I'd be curious to try it. At the same time, though, the teeth on the chain rings are still metal so they would wear and tear.

Overall, I get that this is meant to be for recreational riders. I wouldn't call myself a professional rider in the least, but I'm probably a bit more "hardcore" than the average, recreational rider. It's not a bad idea in theory, but any good bike shop can provide just as good bikes to you.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I think the phrase you're looking for is "Filthy casuals."

evilmike

evilmike

Overall, I get that this is meant to be for recreational riders. I wouldn't call myself a professional rider in the least, but I'm probably a bit more "hardcore" than the average, recreational rider. It's not a bad idea in theory, but any good bike shop can provide just as good bikes to you.
I was pretty sure I wouldn't be in the target audience, but the following confirmed it:

Our internally geared hub can also go thousands of miles with no maintenance, as opposed to traditional derailleurs, which need maintenance every year.
They equate "Thousands of miles" as a distance you travel over multiple years. I've got over 6000 miles on a bike I started riding January before last.

GasBandit

GasBandit

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I think the phrase you're looking for is "Filthy casuals."

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

GasBandit

GasBandit

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

That's actually kind of ingenious.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I was skeptical at first, worried about excessive cost, but this isn't bad. $15 for 100 balloons for a party is ok. It's about 3x more expensive than regular water balloons. Something that would be fine once in awhile.
Especially if, y'know, you need a LOT of water balloons on short notice.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Snrk.

--Patrick

Dave

Dave

Especially if, y'know, you need a LOT of water balloons on short notice.

--Patrick
For that many water balloons, not that many hit.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Snrk.

--Patrick
Honestly, if the price is right, I can see that selling pretty well as a gag gift. I'm not sure if it'll Kickstart very well, since it's not something most people would buy for themselves, but maybe a lot of people plan out their insulting gift giving early.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

From the creator of Brawl in the Family, Nefarious! A game where you play as the villain kidnapping princess and outwitting the hero.

GasBandit

GasBandit

From the creator of Brawl in the Family, Nefarious! A game where you play as the villain kidnapping princess and outwitting the hero.
I applaud the concept, but not sure I'd really enjoy the platforming. What I'd really like is "Evil Genius 2," kind of a more fleshed out and sandboxy version of it.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I applaud the concept, but not sure I'd really enjoy the platforming. What I'd really like is "Evil Genius 2," kind of a more fleshed out and sandboxy version of it.
See, I'm the opposite... I already HAVE Evil Genius, which covers the master mind type villian. Payday 2 covers heist movies. Overlord and Dungeon Master cover the medieval evil type stuff. Stubbs the Zombie covers zombie movies. I want stuff that covers other types. I want...

- A game where you play as a horror movie monster/slasher and have to hunt down teenagers without getting taken down by the heroes or the Final Girl.

- A game where I play a a kaiju monster and my goal is to cause as much destruction as possible to a city. Sort of like Rampage, but taken to it's ultimate extreme.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Fair point, I just like the charm of it being a more classic side-scroller with a twist. Also that reverse boss fight looks fun as hell!

GasBandit

GasBandit

See, I'm the opposite... I already HAVE Evil Genius, which covers the master mind type villian. Payday 2 covers heist movies. Overlord and Dungeon Master cover the medieval evil type stuff. Stubbs the Zombie covers zombie movies. I want stuff that covers other types. I want...

- A game where you play as a horror movie monster/slasher and have to hunt down teenagers without getting taken down by the heroes or the Final Girl.

- A game where I play a a kaiju monster and my goal is to cause as much destruction as possible to a city. Sort of like Rampage, but taken to it's ultimate extreme.
That last one was made back in the 80s. It was made for Commodore 64 called Crush, Crumble and Chomp. A remake for today's systems would be ballin'.

As for Evil Genius, my feeling is the game wasn't really completed, nor was it fleshed out enough. There were only two levels, and the game's progression was pretty much on rails - the ending was ME3 before there was an ME3, really - same ending, 3 flavors. I'd have like to have seen different (or even randomly generated) islands, a wider variety of outcomes, and a whole lot of debugging and rebalancing of traps and rooms. Dungeon Keeper also needs a modern remake.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Yeah, as much as I loved the idea of Evil Genius, it's kind of a broken game because it's not really well polished or balanced.

I'm probably alone here, but you know what I'd love to see get a sequel that's in a similar vein? GHOST MASTER. Man, I still break that game out sometimes.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, as much as I loved the idea of Evil Genius, it's kind of a broken game because it's not really well polished or balanced.

I'm probably alone here, but you know what I'd love to see get a sequel that's in a similar vein? GHOST MASTER. Man, I still break that game out sometimes.
No, Ghost Master is... an interesting, if incredibly flawed game. It needs a remake, badly.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

No, Ghost Master is... an interesting, if incredibly flawed game. It needs a remake, badly.
Oh, definitely flawed. Won't argue that. I'd argue it's at least less flawed than Evil Genius; less flawed enough to play through most of it. I've never beaten the last level, admittedly.

Hylian

Hylian

Matchstick - The Streaming Stick Built on Firefox OS

Matchstick is a small, WiFi-connected HDMI stick that plugs into your HDTV or HD Monitor that lets you stream and interact with your favorite stuff from the Internet - movies, TV, music, games, and more! You can even use it in a conference room to get presentations or other media from your laptop to an HDTV.
Seen this before? Well, we approached the Matchstick project with the mindset to to build a completely OPEN hardware and software platform, so we moved forward with Mozilla to create the first streaming stick built and certified for Firefox OS. Matchstick is a entirely new product category for Mozilla, and we can't wait to bring it to you!

jwhouk

jwhouk

No thanks, I have my hand-made leather dice bag.

drifter

drifter

So the anonabox hit the frontpage of Reddit, and people are calling it out for basically reselling already-on-the-market Chinese hardware.

From what I've read, as long as it does what it purports to it still may not be a bad deal, but the presentation makes the whole thing look pretty shady.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The suitsy! The appearance of a business suit with the comfort and convenience of a onesie.

PatrThom

PatrThom

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Kickstarted "Ring" to control anything is a massive flop.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Kickstarted "Ring" to control anything is a massive flop.

Ooooh, it goes on your FINGER... well this is embarrassing.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Turns out, Nicole He, who works for Kickstarter as a community manager, is a big ol' racist.

Way to manage that community, Nicole.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Turns out, Nicole He, who works for Kickstarter as a community manager, is a big ol' racist.

Way to manage that community, Nicole.
It's like companies don't take the community manager role seriously, and just toss it to whoever's cousin/sibling/significant other needs a job.

figmentPez

figmentPez

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Well that's pretty stupid. You know what else works? A mug with a flat bottom.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Well that's pretty stupid. You know what else works? A mug with a flat bottom.
Yeah, but I figure this one might be appealing to the Ren Faire crowd. I doubt it's meant to be practical.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

The use is very limited but for those of us living in places prone to natural disasters it can be a lifesaver. You may have to use your own 9volt batteries or if times are desperate enough "borrow" one from a neighbor. but it is possible that it could save a life.

Bubble181

Bubble181

The Oatmeal makes a card game about exploding kittens.

Myeah, the $10.000 goal was a bit silly, wasn't it? 1000% funded in under a day. Quelle surprise.

GasBandit

GasBandit

The Oatmeal makes a card game about exploding kittens.

Myeah, the $10.000 goal was a bit silly, wasn't it? 1000% funded in under a day. Quelle surprise.
Psht, more like 10,000% funded. Asked for 10 gees, got a million.

fade

fade

Single use monocles for gentlemen (from Zach Weiner, creator of SMBC).

monocle2.jpg

monocle.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

"Unless you are particularly adventurous"

Quite.

--Patrick

Bubble181

Bubble181

I only need a correction in one eye - I wore glasses with window plate glass on one side for a while, now I'm wearing a single contact lens. i'd love for monocles to make a return. But these don't come with a correction, boooh!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

"If you wanna be rich, invent something that people will throw away." -King C. Gillette, or a friend of his, can't remember which.

fade

fade

Null

Null

On the one hand, that's cool, on the other hand, it completely misses the point of pancakes, in which they are simple, quick, and delicious. It's like an even more ridiculous version of Alton Brown's grilled cheese sandwich.

fade

fade

$9 1 GHz computer. 512 MB RAM. 4 GB storage. WiFi. Bluetooth.

Here's a MAKE article on it:
http://makezine.com/2015/05/07/next-thing-co-releases-worlds-first-9-computer/

I think this is going to be my first kickstarter pledge.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hah, Imgur's "banana for scale" inside joke is leaking all over the place.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It's ARM not x86, which probably explains why it's so inexpensive.
Might make a good "training wheels" for all the other ARM-based stuff out there, though.

--Patrick

fade

fade

Yeah they detail that in the Make article. That, and they found a cheap chip maker to pair with.[DOUBLEPOST=1431054694,1431054462][/DOUBLEPOST]The Pi is ARM, too, and slower. And had less RAM until this generation. I'm not sure though (because I didn't look yet) what the GPIO support is. Because that's like 99% of the fun with a board like this.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I'm not sure though (because I didn't look yet) what the GPIO support is. Because that's like 99% of the fun with a board like this.
Yes. Because it's no fun making a noisy cricket simulator if you can't make it shut up when there's light or movement nearby.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

So a computer now costs $9, yet the TI-83 I bought for $100 15 years ago is -still- $100

PatrThom

PatrThom

So a computer now costs $9, yet the TI-83 I bought for $100 15 years ago is -still- $100
It's all about the GPIO, man.

--Patrick

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Well this is a thing.

Here's hoping!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Exploding Kittens arrived. Fiorst KS I ever backed that delivered on time, and to high quality. Cards are as they should be, box is decent, artwork is what you'd expect.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Exploding Kittens arrived. Fiorst KS I ever backed that delivered on time, and to high quality. Cards are as they should be, box is decent, artwork is what you'd expect.
Got mine yesterday...

I love that the box meows at you when you open it

Just Me

Just Me

Got mine too!
Way faster than I expected for us Euro peeps. And last minute surprise is funnily creepy!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Eh? Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh?

Bubble181

Bubble181

So how about it, @LittleSin? :)

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hmm...

--Patrick

General Specific

General Specific

Hmm...

--Patrick
Was just coming to see if anyone had posted this.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Was just coming to see if anyone had posted this.
Yes I've been slacking with Supervillanous, but for this I was Joel-on-the-spot.

--Patrick

General Specific

General Specific

Yes I've been slacking with Supervillanous, but for this I was Joel-on-the-spot.

--Patrick
Crowing it from the rooftops as well.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Crowing it from the rooftops as well.
Like an air-conditioned Gypsy.

--Patrick

General Specific

General Specific

Like an air-conditioned Gypsy.

--Patrick
And like a Tom Servo cowboy...

Hmm, doesn't really work well.

Ran with it like Cambot Newton? Does anyone get that reference?

Uhm, Satellite of Love Shack, baby?

I forgot what we were doing here....

PatrThom

PatrThom

Uhm, Satellite of Love Shack, baby?
No, no...it's not the B-52's, it's Lou Reed.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

I don't know anyone who is blind, but I figured someone on the forum might:

Braille Dice

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

General Specific

General Specific

The MST3K kickstarter is already past the basic, but so very close to getting all 12 episodes made!

Also, I found out how to check your backer number and I am backer #3003 for that. So close to the magic number!

Krisken

Krisken

I backed the digital download package myself. I'm just blown away by everyone involved in this.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Who likes scary puppet movies!?!

Covar

Covar

Dave

Dave

fade

fade

Neat. Daguerreotype lenses designed to fit Canon EF and Nikon mounts. It's steep at 400 smackers, but it is pretty.

Dei

Dei

The Dresden Files Cooperative Card Game kickstarter launched today, if anyone is into board games, or Dresden Files, or both! I've been waiting for this Kickstarter to go live for months.

Frank

Frank

Looks rad by a company that has one Kickstarter success under it's belt already. They're going to get so much money. I can't wait to paint the miniatures, which look fucking fantastic.

phil

phil

Lookout, world! Tuesday knight games (50% of which is comprised of my best friend since 2nd grade) are at it again! Shut up and Sit down ranked their first game, Two Rooms and a Boom, #4 on their top 25 games of all time. OF ALL TIME.

How could they possibly top that though? THEY PROBABLY CAN'T. Not even with the help of the head writer of Borderlands 2 and Tales of the Borderlands Anthony Burch who helped design their new game World Championship Russian Roulette

Check it out, or something!

figmentPez

figmentPez

THIS IS SO STUPID ITS.... actually providing a nice distraction from the election, at least I can feel happy about hating this stupid machine.

You don't need a specialized oven to bake cookies! If you've got pre-made cookie dough, you can bake cookies in any oven in 10 minutes. I've baked cookie dough, even from frozen, without preheating, and the cookies turned out fine. This "Chip" thing is one of the stupidest kickstarters I've seen. This is an idea so stupid they couldn't even sell it to infomercial companies. The maker of those "bake your own twinkies" machines took one look at this and thought it was a pointles waste of space they'd be ashamed to sell.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yoga pants for geeks, I guess?

--Patrick

drifter

drifter

You ever wanted to lick your cat? Well have I got news for you!

Bubble181

Bubble181

A) not new, have seen pics before

B) I don't need any help or tools to kick a pussy, thank you very much.

MindDetective

MindDetective

A) not new, have seen pics before

B) I don't need any help or tools to kick a pussy, thank you very much.
:eek:

Krisken

Krisken

Yeah, I don't even know.

PatrThom

PatrThom

If you're not using your own, actual tongue, then you're not getting the full experience.

--Patrick

mikerc

mikerc

Just make sure @Dave hasn't been near your cat before you lick it.

Dave

Dave

Just make sure @Dave hasn't been near your cat before you lick it.
"Tastes like urine and lies."

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

"Tastes like urine and lies."
Who is Donald Trump?

I'll take "Whores Describe Their John" for 2000, Alex

figmentPez

figmentPez

Not a Kickstarter just yet, but Fireball Island is getting a sequel!

"Restoration Games has announced that its creating a sequel to the ‘80s board game classic Fireball Island, and a Kickstarter to support the project is on the way. "

Denbrought

Denbrought

4 days left in the Bones IV Kickstarter. Shaping up to be a good amount of minis.

Covar

Covar

By your 4th time out you shouldn't need to be on Kickstarter anymore.

strawman

strawman

It's a fairly well accepted way to do preorder sales.

The only downside is how much Kickstarter takes of your profit.

Dave

Dave

How much do they take?

Denbrought

Denbrought

Not really. The whole point of these campaigns is to finance the molds and tooling to make new miniatures (i.e. expand the existing product line). Bones are low-cost miniatures, and this lets people "finance" the expansions in exchange for a buttload of mostly new minis down the line.

Covar

Covar

Bones should be using their previous sales to finance future development instead of selling at commodity prices. Of course they would also need a product that has a shelf life outside of the initial pre-order sale.

But heck, I have my own horse in the race. Every comic I see on Kickstarter is another comic I don't need to carry in my store because most the demand gets eaten up by the KS.

strawman

strawman

How much do they take?
5% to Kickstarter
3%-5% for payment processing

Kickstarter is making mad money, and none of the competition has caught enough of a market share to get Kickstarter to bring the price down.

I'm kinda hoping Amazon makes a showing in this space...

Denbrought

Denbrought

Bones should be using their previous sales to finance future development instead of selling at commodity prices. Of course they would also need a product that has a shelf life outside of the initial pre-order sale.
That's Reaper's normal business model, but this is fulfilling a different type of demand and market.

Null

Null

So, uh, my kickstarter account is under review for the abusive comments I've left on Palladium's Robotech Tactics miniatures Kickstarters, which is a complete and total shambles.

Null

Null

It is probably worth mentioning that I copied the entire "Get Your Shit Together" speech from Rick and Morty into a comment.

I saved a few of them. Here was a train of three.

"I am absolutely stunned and how infuriatingly incompetent this is, and insulted that you think that timely updates of "we're still twiddling our ballsacks" is good enough. HOW HOW HAVE YOU ALL MANAGED TO FAIL THIS BADLY?!"

"Scott, we gave Palladium our money 4 years ago. We were lead to believe that the minis were going to be made a company that, unlike Palladium, is competent enough to actually produce a product worth having. And then Kevin fucked that up. So giving us a song and dance, FOUR FUCKING YEARS LATER, about how hard it is to find a manufacturer, is completely fucking unacceptable. How have you managed to shit yourselves so completely? And the lack of designs, lack of any signs of being up to the task, lead me to believe that if a factory in China dropped out of the sky and offered to manufacture your minis in exchange for getting autographs from Chief Captain Fuckface Siembieda, YOU WOULDN'T HAVE ANYTHING FOR THEM TO WORK WITH. FUCK YOU"

"At this point, you could have taken a staffer, had them go to university and get a degree in business, specializing in overseas manufacturing, and seen them graduate, in the time you've been getting FUCKING QUOTES."

fade

fade

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I think someone's just trying to crowdfund their supervillain costume.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I think someone's just trying to crowdfund their supervillain costume.
Needs more Doomfist.

--Patrick

PatrThom

PatrThom

Now I'm just gonna throw this out there, but there's a chance that you might not want to click on this while you're at work.
...probably because your LOLing will draw undue attention (seriously, it's intentionally hilarious), but possibly other reasons, as well.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

Because what Pong really needed was RGB lighting, the ability to charge your phone, and physical blocks moving around as the paddles and ball...

[DOUBLEPOST=1517626226,1517625911][/DOUBLEPOST]

Now I'm just gonna throw this out there, but there's a chance that you might not want to click on this while you're at work.
...probably because your LOLing will draw undue attention (seriously, it's intentionally hilarious), but possibly other reasons, as well.

--Patrick
This that one of the wymonists from PCU?

Dei

Dei

IT'S SO PRETTY I WANT IT SOOOOOOOOOOOO BAD.

Dave

Dave

Yeah, that's really cool if you can justify the expense!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Yeah, that's really cool if you can justify the expense!

Dave

Dave

There's a reason I don't give to Kickstarter. Here's a prime example and yes, this happens more than things get done.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/05/20/a...h-end-3d-headphones-startup-ossic-disappears/

Denbrought

Denbrought

There's a reason I don't give to Kickstarter. Here's a prime example and yes, this happens more than things get done.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/05/20/a...h-end-3d-headphones-startup-ossic-disappears/
I give on Kickstarter, with the caveat that it's only to businesses I already trust (and buy from), and are capable of production/delivery outside this preorder ecosystem (e.g. Goodman Games, Daily Magic Games, Reaper Miniatures).

Frank

Frank

Yeah, my only Kickstarter regret so far is Mighty No 9.

Boy what a regret too.

strawman

strawman

I've backed 25 projects via kickstarter and every one was delivered.

If you believe most projects fail after funding then I've been incredibly lucky.

Covar

Covar

I don't bother with Kickstarter anymore. To often it's used in place of a proper business model, destroy's the products long tail, and passes all the risk to the consumer without their realization. See every person's sense of entitlement after getting burned by a product that never gets made.

Dave

Dave

I've backed 25 projects via kickstarter and every one was delivered.

If you believe most projects fail after funding then I've been incredibly lucky.
I just looked into this and I guess that I'm just lucky. I've backed three thing and one of them completed successfully after being funded.

Apparently only 9% of funded projects fails to deliver. The numbers are from 2015 and are reported BY KICKSTARTER (so take it with a grain of salt).

figmentPez

figmentPez

I just looked into this and I guess that I'm just lucky. I've backed three thing and one of them completed successfully after being funded.

Apparently only 9% of funded projects fails to deliver. The numbers are from 2015 and are reported BY KICKSTARTER (so take it with a grain of salt).
I'd keep in mind that Kickstarter has a very wide variety of types of projects. I've backed mostly musicians, and I figure they're likely to succeed if they've already got the songs written and just need money for studio time. There's far less that can go wrong when it's "give us money so we can print t-shirts we've already got the design for", than when it's a case of "we still need to actually make the game we're pitching a concept for" or "we're developing a new technology and none of us have ever been in charge of manufacturing a consumer product before".

Dave

Dave

That's a good point. The three that I gave to were all the "we're going to make this cool thing!" type.

Null

Null

I backed the Palladium Robotech Tactics Kickstarter.

Here's a story about how that turned out.

I am now a potential member of a class-action lawsuit.

Krisken

Krisken

Yeah, that one was a mess. Just ugly, that.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I'm posting this here for anyone that's been itching for a horror-themed fighting game.

figmentPez

figmentPez

PatrThom

PatrThom

I would like to point out that this KS predates the Gillette ad by an entire week.
But oh, it's so very timely.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

My friend Chrysa has a Kickstarter up making enamel pins of keyblades from Kingdom Hearts:

This is not her first time making enamel pins. Her designs are beautiful, and she's successfully delivered product before, so I feel confident she'll be able to do the same again.

netsirk

netsirk

FYI, it's the last day (ish, 30 hours left) of this year's Rifftrax kickstarter (this year revisiting MST3K's Giant Spider Invasion and new riffs for Octaman and Star Raiders) - it's already fully funded, but they're going for backer number-based stretch goals now. As in the past, they have a dealio where even a $1 pledge will get you 10 riffed shorts (or credit if you already own them) from already-unlocked stretch goals. :D

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm not sure if anyone on the forums is a Super Monkey Ball fan, but if anyone is:

And the YouTube video that made me aware of the project:

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hmm...

The art style reminds me a lot of the mid- to late-70's.
And the writing looks... irreverent? Yes, I think that's a good word for it.

--Patrick

drifter

drifter

Not the forum's focus, but I know we have a couple snow sports enthusiasts here (@Dei @Celt Z ) and goddamn I wants it, especially the dark silver stretch goal.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Krisken

Krisken

If they are the enemy of the worker, then they are the enemy of the whole. I don't have any kickstarters going now, and I won't start any until this man is gone.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'll, unfortunately, need to stop my support of the site once the current things I've supported wrapped up. *sigh*

PatrThom

PatrThom

Hey @DarkAudit , have you ever wanted to own your own lathe?

No idea if it incorporates RIAA EQ or not, though.

--Patrick

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

I love viva la dirt league, they are doing a kickstarter to make a movie about Baelin (From epic npc man) just give it a like if you want :)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vldl/baelins-route-an-epic-npc-man-adventurer

PatrThom

PatrThom

Technically not a KS, but it's still a pitch I thought at least someone around here would find it of interest.

Would've been easier to take it seriously without the pitch shift, though.

--Patrick

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

So, you know I like my little Metal Earth models. So when I saw something similar on Kickstarter, I hadda get it.

Like the Metal Earth, these things come as printed PCBs pre-cut..you just free them from the sheet they're printed on, and assemble. The difference: These are little 'robots', and you have to know/learn how to solder to build them. They have sensors, leds, and can move via that vibration/wobble thing without any actual moving parts or servos. My kit arrived today, and looks pretty sharp. I haven't built one yet, but will update when I do.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I kind of assume those most likely to be interested (@GasBandit ) are probably already aware, but just in case anyone may have missed it;
Darkest Dungeon: the Board Game is on Kickstarter. I thought i'd seen it here already but if so, I can't find the post for it anymore, so here it is again.
1-4 player roguelike cooperative game; lots of unpainted miniatures; $100 or $150 with expansion.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I cannot fathom paying $100-$150 for ANY boardgame for any reason that I could voice in polite company. But I wish them luck.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I cannot fathom paying $100-$150 for ANY boardgame for any reason that I could voice in polite company. But I wish them luck.
72 miniatures, 400 cards, 32 custom dice, and that's before counting the stretch goals.
I agree that it's pretty steep, and I have problems paying that much for a board game, too... But considering all the components, it's a pretty fair price - comparable to Gloomhaven, the Ghostbusters game, etc.

GasBandit

GasBandit

72 miniatures, 400 cards, 32 custom dice, and that's before counting the stretch goals.
I agree that it's pretty steep, and I have problems paying that much for a board game, too... But considering all the components, it's a pretty fair price - comparable to Gloomhaven, the Ghostbusters game, etc.
And $200k might be a fair price for a Lambo, but I'd also never consider buying one of those either ;)

Dei

Dei

There are a bunch of people on this forum that are super into board games, or minis, but Gas is neither of them.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

I wasn't even interested when I saw board cames coming out at video game price points ($60+) a few years ago.

Gryfter

Gryfter

Yeah but its Heroquest. If you think its a good game, that's the nostalgia talking. Hasbro isn't using a crowdfunding model for no reason. They know the game would never sell for that price if they released it through their normal model. They are counting on nostalgia to overcome the price tag. And while we are at it they aren't even using a reputable crowdsourcing site, but instead one they created just for this project.

I'll pass and go play Gloomhaven instead.

Gryfter

Gryfter

I wasn't event interested when I saw board cames coming out at video game price points ($60+) a few years ago.
Fair point but I counter that a $60 boardgame is going to continue to be playable for the length of time you own it, video games (especially system specific ones ) your mileage may vary.

Plus, just like video games, board games go on sale often so you are far more likely to pay 40ish dollars for that $60 game.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yeah but its Heroquest. If you think its a good game, that's the nostalgia talking. Hasbro isn't using a crowdfunding model for no reason. They know the game would never sell for that price if they released it through their normal model. They are counting on nostalgia to overcome the price tag. And while we are at it they aren't even using a reputable crowdsourcing site, but instead one they created just for this project.

I'll pass and go play Gloomhaven instead.
I'm talking about the DD Kickstarter, not about the Heroquest fundraiser, though ;)

I agree with you about HQ. While I enjoyed playing it and it was a good way to introduce RPGs 20 years ago, there are other, better games doing the same these days.

Bubble181

Bubble181

There are a bunch of people on this forum that are super into board games, or minis, but Gas is neither of them.
True, but he was into DD for quite a while :) I'm no Google algorithm, I'm allowed to guess wrong about what may interest who:p

GasBandit

GasBandit

I own Heroquest. I didn't buy it (it was a gift) but I'm fairly sure that when it was released, it was not $100+.

Edit: oh, I see, we got our kickstarters mixed up.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

So I was in on the Oglaf kickstarter. After a short delay due to Covid, the books and stickers and Jack Chick-style Sithrak tracts arrived today. I expected my wife to roll her eyes at me, and she did. But I showed her some of the prints and tracts, and said she could read the books while I was out at the grocery store getting stuff for deviled eggs.

30 minutes later, I get back and she's still reading. So, kickstarter win and minor victory!

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Weird Satanist (Arby's guy?) has a Kickstarter for his forthcoming movie, Onyx The Fortuitous and the Talisman of Souls. I'dun'o. Onyx is pretty cool.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

unless the donations speed up, he's not gonna make it, I don't think.

Far

Far

Looks pretty neat for quick, detailed map creation:

Dave

Dave

Looks pretty neat for quick, detailed map creation:

Two things.

1. I just backed this. Only the second thing I ever backed. The first thing I never received...
2. I have an additional copy of DungeonDraft that is also an easy map making program. If anyone wants it. I'm going to post it in another thread as well as it really doesn't fit here.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I have also backed it.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

unless the donations speed up, he's not gonna make it, I don't think.
Looks like instead of a mid-to-end donation lull, things have sped up. He's got 6 days to make about $6000 in pledges. I think it's doable :)

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Looks like instead of a mid-to-end donation lull, things have sped up. He's got 6 days to make about $6000 in pledges. I think it's doable :)
It's done!

Krisken

Krisken

So, MST3K is coming to the end of it's Kickstarter, but it's doing awesome :)

Sara_2814

Sara_2814

So, MST3K is coming to the end of it's Kickstarter, but it's doing awesome :)

Final challenge goal reached!

Krisken

Krisken

I'm so happy! Happy for them, happy for us! MST3K is such a big part of my life and I love that it still exists.

Krisken

Krisken

1620443090957.png

It's over! A wonderful campaign, so happy for them and all of us! So excited for more episodes!!!

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

My friend Sam Owen, who drew the two comic strip gags I wrote, is doing a Kickstarter right now for a manga-style series. He's really struggling to hit his goal and I'd really like to see him hit it.

He's also currently on Hour 5 of a 24-hour Twitch stream to raise awareness for the Kickstarter. At the moment, he's on a warpath of drawing Garfield in various forms. As of this moment, he's drawing Shin Garfzilla. I challenged him to do Garfzilla vs Mecha-Garfzilla, and promised to double my pledge if he does it.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

And it looks like I'll be jumping onto his stream in about half an hour from now. Mostly just to give him someone to talk to and keep him motivated to keep going. And because I really want to support his work.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Aaaaaaaand as a thank you for upping my pledge earlier, Darren Vogt, another artist on this project, just gave me this sketch.

When I bugged people for Dill sketches years ago, I wish I thought of the short hand description of "Think Harvey Bullock from the Batman Animated Series, but as a 9-banded armadillo." It's SO much easier than whatever cockamamie long-winded description I'd stutter out.

Darren Vogt - Dilbert.jpg

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

When I bugged people for Dill sketches years ago, I wish I thought of the short hand description of "Think Harvey Bullock from the Batman Animated Series, but as a 9-banded armadillo." It's SO much easier than whatever cockamamie long-winded description I'd stutter out.
IIRC, when I called him "Peter Falk as Columbo, but an armadillo," you said "yeah." :D

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

IIRC, when I called him "Peter Falk as Columbo, but an armadillo," you said "yeah." :D
You know, thinking about that, I'm actually not sure if I agree with that now. Columbo is far too polite, more into tricking his suspects into admitting guilt, usually with his "Just one more thing..."

Dill more stumbles through a case, gets his ass handed to him at every step, plays dirty and mean, and usually lucks into solving it by making an ass of himself.

Dave

Dave

You know, thinking about that, I'm actually not sure if I agree with that now. Columbo is far too polite, more into tricking his suspects into admitting guilt, usually with his "Just one more thing..."

Dill more stumbles through a case, gets his ass handed to him at every step, plays dirty and mean, and usually lucks into solving it by making an ass of himself.
Harry Dresden with scales and a tail.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Harry Dresden with scales and a tail.
Heh, having read several Dresden Files books, that's not inaccurate.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Weird Satanist (Arby's guy?) has a Kickstarter for his forthcoming movie, Onyx The Fortuitous and the Talisman of Souls. I'dun'o. Onyx is pretty cool.
So, I backed this..it made it's goal. They just recently announced some of the cast.

Olivia Taylor Dudley (from the Magicians..my favorite actor in that show. This one makes my heart jump for joy)
Jessica Parker Kennedy (The Flash, Smallville)
Stephnie Weir (Lots of one-shot stuff on TV that I haven't seen, like Veep)
Rivka Reyes (School of Rock)

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Trying something to get my friend's campaign funded. He's ALMOST at the halfway mark.

I honestly don't think he's going to hit the goal at this point, with only about 16 hours to go, but it's worth trying.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Fastest kickstarter fulfillment ever. Kickstarted Oct 29. Received product this morning. And it works!

Drinking a fine cup of cold brew now, which tastes every bit as good as the coffee from the manual cold brew presses that I used to stick in the fridge over night when I lived in Virginia.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Well, goodbye Kickstarter:

PatrThom

PatrThom

What does that even mean?
It makes as much sense to me as saying, "I just switched my car insurance over to hydrocarbons."

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

What does that even mean?
It makes as much sense to me as saying, "I just switched my car insurance over to hydrocarbons."
I don't get it either, but "the new company will make the tools available for anyone to create a competing crowdfunding site " sounds like a trap. Maybe they're just creating this bullshit version of their site to trap their competitors, and they'll only pretend to make the switch themselves?

drifter

drifter

Sounds like if they get it up and running and other people use it, they'll make their money on transaction fees.

Sara_2814

Sara_2814

GasBandit

GasBandit

Boy it's been a hot minute since I posted this one:

1639036053407.png

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The only good thing to come out of blockchain was *that* episode of Himote House.

Just Me

Just Me

Boy it's been a hot minute since I posted this one:

View attachment 39715
The Down in Flame series is still highly enjoyable to play though! :)

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Fastest kickstarter fulfillment ever. Kickstarted Oct 29. Received product this morning. And it works!

Drinking a fine cup of cold brew now, which tastes every bit as good as the coffee from the manual cold brew presses that I used to stick in the fridge over night when I lived in Virginia.
Been using this thing to have cold-brew coffee every day since I posted. So, about 3 weeks. It's working great. Probably the most satisfying kickstarter I've ever been involved in. I'm a bit of a coffee snob, I guess. I don't really like Starbucks. I don't much care for regular coffee at all.

But you get a nice mild bean, freshly ground, and cold brewed to keep the bitterness and acidity down. Throw in some Cold Stone Creamery creamers and some Truvia (because I can't have sugar)...and I'll drink a 16 ounce glass of this shit in 30 seconds flat and be buzzing for an hour.

(and yes, that means after I got this thing and ran through the pre-ground stuff I bought to test it out, I got a burr grinder so I could buy whole bean coffee. I'm such a hipster sometimes)

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Another successful kickstarter. Just when I had given up on this thing, it showed up in the mail without me ever having been sent a tracking number.

I started it spinning 22 minutes ago. It's still spinning.

evilmike

evilmike

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

Nearly 1 hour later..still spinning. I got the first 9 minutes on video. It's boring, but proof it works :D

I was gonna record for a full 10 minutes, but accidentally hit the stop button while I was moving the phone around.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

The mailman brought me a thingy!

Sara_2814

Sara_2814

I don't remember if this was already posted anywhere here, but if so it deserves to be posted again. 15 days to go! Lots of goodies in the tiers/stretch goals, plus the book looks awesome!

Bubble181

Bubble181

I don't remember if this was already posted anywhere here, but if so it deserves to be posted again. 15 days to go! Lots of goodies in the tiers/stretch goals, plus the book looks awesome!
Hadn't seen it...Thanks.

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

So, I backed this..it made it's goal. They just recently announced some of the cast.

Olivia Taylor Dudley (from the Magicians..my favorite actor in that show. This one makes my heart jump for joy)
Jessica Parker Kennedy (The Flash, Smallville)
Stephnie Weir (Lots of one-shot stuff on TV that I haven't seen, like Veep)
Rivka Reyes (School of Rock)
In theaters, Oct 19

Tinwhistler

Tinwhistler

1695184521546.jpeg

OMG...my time has come!

(for those who never did the Jackbox nights, I was known for drawing dicks in all of the drawing games...my proudest moment was drawing Gru lying on his back, as if the camera was pointing up toward his balls, and at the reveal, the revulsion on GasBandit's face will forever fill me with glee lolol)

GasBandit

GasBandit

(for those who never did the Jackbox nights, I was known for drawing dicks in all of the drawing games...my proudest moment was drawing Gru lying on his back, as if the camera was pointing up toward his balls, and at the reveal, the revulsion on GasBandit's face will forever fill me with glee lolol)
On the one side, I regret not youtubing that reaction... but on the other hand, your art would probably have gotten my account banned :p

Frank

Frank

I was born to play Dicktective.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Me: Oh man, I LOVED playing this with friends back in middle school. The nostalgia factor is through the roof.

Also Me: Hmmm, Palladium has a bad reputation about Kickstarters, is kind of a toxic company, and their system isn't all that great. It's very unbalanced.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I just bought Heroes Unlimited to introduce it to my kids. It is overly complex and I will definitely be simplifying it for actual play.

Dave

Dave

Why are they kickstarting a game I played in the late 1980’s?

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Why are they kickstarting a game I played in the late 1980’s?
It's something of a remaster or reprinting. Upscaled text, higher quality images, new content, etc.

PatrThom

PatrThom

“Large print edition”

—Patrick

Squidleybits

Squidleybits

This looks really interesting and has a guest appearance from our Monster Prom favourites Scott and Polly.

evilmike

evilmike

Not sure if it's MAGA nonsense or just run-of-the-mill corporate nonsense...

Facebook bans ads for award-winning Votes for Women board game’s new Kickstarter, claims it is a “sensitive social issue” (boardgamewire)

At least it doesn't look like it ultimately affected the campaign.

Frank

Frank

Facebook bans thing that is mildly educational.

Facebook would like to sell you dildos from wish.com pweez.