[Other] The not so funny pic thread (some NSFL or gore)

GasBandit

Staff member
1 - wtf?
2 - what's the context for this? I feel like I'm missing something.
His stepson died of an overdose. He had been worried up until that point that his stepson was showing all the signs of becoming a mass shooter. He is relieved he only took himself when he died. He rejects the idea that therapy helps anything. He saw his only two choices were to report his son (which is tantamount to killing him because they'd lock him up until he died) or do nothing and hope he didn't kill anybody.

His stepson died of an overdose. He had been worried up until that point that his stepson was showing all the signs of becoming a mass shooter. He is relieved he only took himself when he died. He rejects the idea that therapy helps anything. He saw his only two choices were to report his son (which is tantamount to killing him because they'd lock him up until he died) or do nothing and hope he didn't kill anybody.
I see.
That is tragic in so many ways. Both the situation of the stepson, and the seeing of only two (incredibly shitty from his perspective) choices.

figmentPez

Staff member
I would be most interested to know how he convinced himself that these were the only two possible choices.
He's a right-wing nutjob. Getting his son help would require cutting ties to his extremist views. Right-wing propaganda is the source of his son's problems, and getting his son out of that environment is the only fix. However, Scott Adams is 100% invested in that culture himself. He says that "therapy doesn't work", and that's only correct if the person going to therapy is unwilling to change their environment. People who go in for treatment for drug addition, and then get out and go right back to hanging out with the same people who got them into drugs in the first place don't succeed. You can't get a person away from thoughts of violence if they're constantly surrounding themselves with people who promote violence.

Scott Adams wants those to be the only possible choices, because that viewpoint validates his beliefs about politics. For him to be able to admit that there was something he could have done to help his son, would require for him to admit that his political beliefs are harmful, not just to his son, but to the nation as a whole, and he's caught up in needing to be Right.

figmentPez

Staff member
The more I hear about Anime Matsuri (in Houston, TX), the more I don't ever want to attend that convention:

The con organizer, John Leigh, has been accused of sexual harassment by multiple women. In addition, the con has a history of not paying performers, forcing staff to buy their own con badges under false promises of reimbursement, having events start consistently late (with no advance seating for those who paid extra), and lots of other shit.

figmentPez

Staff member
Humanity sucks:

Link

I'm not sure how it would be possible to take "fixing the movie by whitewashing it" in a non-racist way. The movie isn't broken because a black actress is playing Ariel. (Though it is likely broken because Disney is making a lazy cash grab.)

Yeah, I understand why people might want a redhead white girl, my Disney nostalgia kinda feels that way too, but the original wasn't a redhead, and her color etc is absolutely unimportant for the character. In this case it's really just racism.
Annie, for example, is a movie where I expected to really dislike the girl being turned black, but after seeing it, it worked and made a lot of sense in the updated version; in the modern world as portrayed, a poor black girl fits better than somehow trying to stick to a redhead just for the reference back.

There really are cases where I think it's just "diversity" for diversity's sake and it can sometimes be detrimental to a story. The Little Mermaid really doesn't fit in that category.

I didn't watch the Beauty in the Beast movie when they used a white, brunette girl in the place of a white, brunette or Lion King when they replaced an animated lion with an even worse animated lion.

Still not going to see it. Just cause I like the originals better.

I did watch the Great Mouse Detective remake with Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law. That was pretty good.

My dad is like 4 of those. Seriously, I had flashbacks on no less than 4 of those slides.

He literally does the trash thing and has since I was 13.