In...1935.

Section 7 deals with the right to freely share salary information for "mutual aid". That doesn't mean employers haven't fucked people over for doing it anyway. But in those places that have strong government backed labor boards (such as Texas' TWC) they only can get away with it insofar as someone won't file a complaint. With the coming of the internet, people have learned more and more how to find their rights online, and this kind of thing is becoming a lot less of an issue...at least at the places I've worked. NRLA doesn't cover government contractors/employees, but Obama signed an executive order basically giving them that same freedom.

What I really like as a recent trend are the states' laws coming out that prevent potential employers asking about your previous salary. That, for me, was one of the biggest barriers to career growth. Apply for a job where the company is willing to pay 75K, but you only make 55K? They're gonna offer you 60, max. Now, since a lot of employers can't ask that any longer, companies have to be willing to offer you what the job is worth, instead of offering you a tiny enticement bump over your previous salary.

And, of course, there's an Adam Ruins Everything about it.

That said, discussing salaries, and giving access to a salary database are arguably two different things.
Top post in reddit the other day was a guy who was forced to supply a pay slip from this current job to apply for a new job at a different company. So he edited it to reflect himself earning 20% more, and viola the new company offered him a job at just over that inflated salary. What a coincidence!

1935, hmm maybe I am thinking of the Obama EO then.

Dave

Staff member
At my work everyone knows what everyone makes. If you are a basic tech, you get paid $24.30. Tech 1, $x. Tech 2 $Y. Etc. It's perfect.

My French sucks, but I definitely know what they mean about contraction and expansion when translating. My translations tend to be overly wordy, which some clients don't like.

Whenever an employer tells you that you are the model employee they judge others by, what they mean is they believe they've managed to exploit you the most, and use that as a guide for how much they can exploit the rest

Last edited:
My Jayne Cobb hat and cosplay has gotten me over 2000 upvotes across various subreddits in the last couple of days. ;)

I thought r/Firefly would be the biggest taker..and they were big. But not as big as r/liberalgunowners
1641616253387.png

Yeah I'm not going to that subreddit, I feel like I already know what I'll find
People who are liberals that also like guns? It's the only gun group I'm a member of. Sure, there's lots of "look at my new shiny gun" posts, but it's also one of the most sane, thoughtful groups related to firearms that I've ever been to on reddit.

I was on a 2ALiberal site. It was nice at first but became meme central from many right wingers, became a total shit show.
Yeah, Reddit's 2aliberal subreddit is much the same, but the moderators over at r/liberalgunowners are a lot more....liberal...when it comes to removing posts and banning bad actors. My only real complaint (and it's a very minor one) is that it's mostly a "look at my toys!" focused sub and less actual discussion. But, generally *inside* those "look at my toy" posts, there's pretty good information.

A very good introduction to simple physical tools. Adam is using a Grade 0 ceramic set from Mitutoyo, model 516-302-26, retailing for $6000 USD, and is way too good for what he does. That's the grade you would find in my shop. And if he doesn't stop touching them with his bare hands, my head is going to explode. And since he mentions it, if the temperature in our lab goes out of spec, we stop work on items that would be affected by it, like these gauge blocks. And some trivia for you, the temperatures they are referencing were determined in the least scientific way possible. A guy went around to all the machine shops in and around the Baltic Sea and recorded the average temperature inside the shop in July, averaged them all and viola, 20 degrees Celsius or 68 degrees Fahrenheit.

Last edited:

figmentPez

Staff member
Dimes have less value now than half-pennies did when the US stopped minting them back in 1857. A penny back then, adjusted for inflation, is the equivalent of about 32 cents today.

I think a chicken was murdered in my front yard today. I took my dog out for a potty break this morning and I could see a stray chicken being chased by a dog around my neighbor's house. I go back inside and start a call with one of my users. Then a few minutes later about 4 feet from my office window I hear the loudest scream of terror I have ever heard from a chicken. It was loud enough for the user on the Teams call to hear. After the call I go out and find several downy feathers down one side of my yard. Luckily I did not see any gore. I guess said fowl was carried away.

I think a chicken was murdered in my front yard today. I took my dog out for a potty break this morning and I could see a stray chicken being chased by a dog around my neighbor's house. I go back inside and start a call with one of my users. Then a few minutes later about 4 feet from my office window I hear the loudest scream of terror I have ever heard from a chicken. It was loud enough for the user on the Teams call to hear. After the call I go out and find several downy feathers down one side of my yard. Luckily I did not see any gore. I guess said fowl was carried away.
So it was a case of fowl play?

Dave

Staff member
Knowing what I know of Franco, I always get the feeling Seth Rogen and/or Jonah Hill is next and I feel I won't be surprised.

@MindDetective Some sources say Rogen enabled James Franco's behavior, and considering how close Jonah Hill was to them I wouldn't be surprised if he did as well.
This must be about his sexual behavior allegations. Well, not really allegations since he’s admitted to sleeping with students in his acting school. I had no idea this was even a thing.

This must be about his sexual behavior allegations. Well, not really allegations since he’s admitted to sleeping with students in his acting school. I had no idea this was even a thing.
THAT-and toxic behavior on set, going back as far as Freaks and Geeks I think where he freaked the hell out on a cast-member in a REALLY horrifying way.

Whomever picks the music for my local Trader Joe's is either clever or morbid. I went to the store around lunchtime, and as I'm walking in, I swear I hear the ending of "To Sir, With Love", but I didn't think much of it. Halfway done with shopping, I realize I'm hearing Andrew Gold's original of "Thank You for Being a Friend", which was immediately followed by "Everywhere You Look".

My wife was telling me about her coworkers whining to her about their husbands. For example, one coworker's husband would always criticize her cooking, while another coworker told her about how her husband criticizes her appearance, and a third coworker's husband doesn't like it when she shops.

Whereas I'm always going, "Yes, my beautiful wife, buy all the clothes you want, and your food should be submitted to international competitions."

I don't feel like I'm hitting a particularly high bar, am I?

While those are the correct responses, maybe we should pick that bar off the ground BEFORE you start patting yourself on the back?