Couple weeks ago, I met up with a local knitting/crocheting/crafting group of ladies. As I figured, I was the only dude there. It was a potluck, and a brought a charcuterie spread, and one of the ladies said "we should do pot luck more often! This is the most people we've had in a while." I'm at least half-positive it was the fact that a new dude was showing up, not the food. But maybe that's just ego talking.

Anyway, I figured it would just be a matter of time before one of the 'yarn ladies' (as I've come to call them) made a play...
1640919347101.png

:awesome:

Last edited:
Couple weeks ago, I met up with a local knitting/crocheting/crafting group of ladies. As I figured, I was the only dude there. It was a potluck, and a brought a charcuterie spread, and one of the ladies said "we should do pot luck more often! This is the most people we've had in a while." I'm at least half-positive it was the fact that a new dude was showing up, not the food. But maybe that's just ego talking.

Anyway, I just figured it would be a matter of time before one of the 'yarn ladies' (as I've come to call them) made a play...
View attachment 39952

Obviously nothing can happen here with the wrong usage of “here” instead of “hear.”

Anyway, I figured it would just be a matter of time before one of the 'yarn ladies' (as I've come to call them) made a play...
View attachment 39952

If I remember your first post about the group, it means you'll be hooking up with one of The Golden Girls soon. Make sure to bring cheesecake and they'll "thank" you for being a friend! :unibrow:

If I remember your first post about the group, it means you'll be hooking up with one of The Golden Girls soon. Make sure to bring cheesecake and they'll "thank" you for being a friend! :unibrow:
Well, there are a small number of ladies younger than me (though not by much) in the group. But that's not who invited me over. :rofl:
She's older than me by at least a decade. Sadly, having the sniffles, I'll have to decline her offer.

Had an idea this morning for a new creative project: a video essay called "[Undetermined Number] Things I Learned From My First Bike Tour."

And using a lot of the GoPro footage I took last summer from my biking trip to Lunenburg.

Undetermined number, of course, since I don't know if it would necessarily be 10 things or a different number until I write it all out.

We just had a pretty big earthquake here in Taipei. My workplace is on the 14th floor so the whole thing shook pretty hard. I feel like I had motion sickness.

Also my first instinct when the world started shaking was to save and upload my work. I might die in a collapsed building, but at least I did my part to make sure these translations are sent out to the clients!

GasBandit

Staff member
We just had a pretty big earthquake here in Taipei. My workplace is on the 14th floor so the whole thing shook pretty hard. I feel like I had motion sickness.

Also my first instinct when the world started shaking was to save and upload my work. I might die in a collapsed building, but at least I did my part to make sure these translations are sent out to the clients!
"If I die, I die, but if I live, I do NOT want to do this work over again!"

01C4A117-AA4F-4B7F-A93F-E67CEF84CAC7.png

Looks like it was a 6.2 off the eastern coast.

Nothing like testing negative for covid, immediately going outside in the cold for 15 minutes, and then coming back inside wondering if the reason you're suddenly stuffy and have pressure in your head is covid.

GasBandit

Staff member
A former coworker's boyfriend just died over the Christmas holiday. Of a heart attack. He was younger than me. The story I'm told by my former boss is, the guy asked my former CW to pick him up something from the store, she was gone 20 minutes, and when she got back he was slumped over the desk he'd been sitting at, dead.

I only met the guy twice but... Jeesh.

My hot female subordinate came to me today to express that she's been feeling overworked and burnt out over the last few months, to the point where it's affecting her health, and that she was wondering if there's anything that could be done. And my urge was to basically go, "I WILL HANDLE YOUR EXCESS CASES, M'LADY! JUST SEND THEM MY WAY! I'M THE AWESOME TEAM LEADER WHO CAN PICK UP ANY CASES YOU DON'T WANT TO DO! I AM AWESOME LIKE THAT!"

But instead I told her I'll talk to our actual supervisor to see if there's anything to be done. And my hot female supervisor basically said that while she's sympathetic, our editors do need to maintain a certain level of output because we are, after all, a business so we need to maintain productivity. She also said that the level of output I usually manage is seen as the gold standard, and hopefully our other editors can produce similar numbers too. And I was all like, "THANK YOU FOR NOTICING MY AWESOMENESS, AND YOU ARE SO RIGHT, M'LADY, I'M GOING TO GO TELL HER TO CRACK ON WITH IT AND DO BETTER FROM NOW ON, BECAUSE I'M THE AWESOME TEAM LEADER AND I CAN TOTALLY MOTIVATE MY UNDERLINGS TO BECOME AS AWESOME AS I AM!"

So, basically, I accomplished nothing. I'm starting to feel like I shouldn't be allowed to have hot female coworkers.

I know the problem. Heck, I had that issue even with non-hot-female subordinates/bosses. Being middle management/team leader is hardbecause you're supposedly representing both sides to one another and somehow both sides can think you're "one of them" or "one of us" when one or the other is advantageous.

My hot female subordinate came to me today to express that she's been feeling overworked and burnt out over the last few months, to the point where it's affecting her health, and that she was wondering if there's anything that could be done. And my urge was to basically go, "I WILL HANDLE YOUR EXCESS CASES, M'LADY! JUST SEND THEM MY WAY! I'M THE AWESOME TEAM LEADER WHO CAN PICK UP ANY CASES YOU DON'T WANT TO DO! I AM AWESOME LIKE THAT!"
"I'm sorry your feeling stressed. Maybe coming to my office for some nice massages every day will take some of the load off."

This, perhaps, should be filed under "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should."

I was taking a quick look through my feed today, and I happen to notice this add, mostly because of the first comment underneath it:

20220105_141036.jpg20220105_141008.jpg

So, who want to tell the Slumberkins people that maaaaaaaaybe they should watch that episode of Gumball before comparing it to their products??? :Leyla:

But instead I told her I'll talk to our actual supervisor to see if there's anything to be done. And my hot female supervisor basically said that while she's sympathetic, our editors do need to maintain a certain level of output because we are, after all, a business so we need to maintain productivity. She also said that the level of output I usually manage is seen as the gold standard, and hopefully our other editors can produce similar numbers too. And I was all like, "THANK YOU FOR NOTICING MY AWESOMENESS, AND YOU ARE SO RIGHT, M'LADY, I'M GOING TO GO TELL HER TO CRACK ON WITH IT AND DO BETTER FROM NOW ON, BECAUSE I'M THE AWESOME TEAM LEADER AND I CAN TOTALLY MOTIVATE MY UNDERLINGS TO BECOME AS AWESOME AS I AM!"

So, basically, I accomplished nothing. I'm starting to feel like I shouldn't be allowed to have hot female coworkers.
As a followup to this, we worked out a system where my hot female subordinate can come in for just 3 days a week, and basically work as a part-timer.

Funnily enough, this means that out of my department of four people, I am currently the only one who works five days a week. I wonder if this is grounds for asking for a raise.

You'd think so, but I'm already by a considerable distance the highest-paid member of my department. There's also a chance I'm the highest-paid person in the whole company.
Back at my previous company, when I was writing software to computerize and automate payroll, we had a lot of pushback from the head of HR. She didn't want us to see what people were paid. I explained to her that it was common for the software devs to have access to data that might be considered confidential, and when I worked at Citi, I had the ability to look at pretty much anyone's credit record. But that it wasn't a big deal, because I was probably the highest paid person in the company anyway besides the owner. Evidently there was some resistance to my initial hiring, because the salary I was asking for was considerably higher than my boss's (the VP of Technology). :p

I was probably the highest paid person in the company anyway besides the owner. Evidently there was some resistance to my initial hiring, because the salary I was asking for was considerably higher than my boss's (the VP of Technology). :p
"Are you willing to pay one of your employees more than what you make in order to bring success into your company? If not, perhaps you are the sort of person who should NOT be allowed to make the kinds of decisions that impact other people's lives."

--Patrick

"Are you willing to pay one of your employees more than what you make in order to bring success into your company? If not, perhaps you are the sort of person who should NOT be allowed to make the kinds of decisions that impact other people's lives."

--Patrick
My boss was exactly the kind of egotist jerk that often finds themselves in boss positions. Luckily, I showed my worth pretty quickly and got out from under his direct management (though I still lived under him on the org chart). For the better part of 8 years, I pretty much was the Director of my department with only minimal interaction with the VP: Sending status reports upline, helping with budgets, etc. But as far as projects and the managing thereof, I pretty much had free hand. I really do miss that.

Of course HR didn't want you to see other peoples sakaries. Didn't your government have to pass a law only recently to guarantee that you are legally allowed to share your salary with your cowirkers?

Of course HR didn't want you to see other peoples sakaries. Didn't your government have to pass a law only recently to guarantee that you are legally allowed to share your salary with your cowirkers?
In...1935.

Section 7 deals with the right to freely share salary information for "mutual aid". That doesn't mean employers haven't fucked people over for doing it anyway. But in those places that have strong government backed labor boards (such as Texas' TWC) they only can get away with it insofar as someone won't file a complaint. With the coming of the internet, people have learned more and more how to find their rights online, and this kind of thing is becoming a lot less of an issue...at least at the places I've worked. NRLA doesn't cover government contractors/employees, but Obama signed an executive order basically giving them that same freedom.

What I really like as a recent trend are the states' laws coming out that prevent potential employers asking about your previous salary. That, for me, was one of the biggest barriers to career growth. Apply for a job where the company is willing to pay 75K, but you only make 55K? They're gonna offer you 60, max. Now, since a lot of employers can't ask that any longer, companies have to be willing to offer you what the job is worth, instead of offering you a tiny enticement bump over your previous salary.

And, of course, there's an Adam Ruins Everything about it.

That said, discussing salaries, and giving access to a salary database are arguably two different things.

We had this rule at the firms I worked at. Whenever that rule exists and staff are forbidden to discuss salaries it means that some fuckery is going on.

For example, I got crap raises and awesome performance reports for a while. Why? Because in my offer, if I left for any reason before a certain date I had to repay my moving and signing bonus. They knew they didn’t have to try. Once it was expired? Massive raise. It was too late,