Thank you for that, but in my case, at least, I am fully aware of the cause(s), it is just that I am unable to favorably effect any change(s).

—Patrick

2018 was when my life changed for the better, and it started with one of the most stressful days of my life, convincing myself to see a doctor.

It took a few tries to get to that point, I know I made a longer thread about it, but I can't seem to find it, but I did find this:

It took awhile to find the right medication. But once I did something fundamentally changed in how I experienced myself, because for the first time I knew what so called 'normal' felt like. And while I don't take medication currently, knowing that base-line existed helped me to alter my life for the better, and while anxiety and depression still exist in me, they are infinitely easier to see creeping up and course correct while ignoring their lies. What used to be what I assumed were just my thoughts became correctly labeled as intrusive thoughts, and for the first time what was "me" was no longer defined by my depression.

And in all honesty, leading up to that point, the very thought such a thing could happen scared me, at a deeply fundamental level. But it was like breathing air for the first time, I didn't know what I was missing until I had it.

WTF?

I was walking my dog and as I was cleaning up after him he slipped out of his harness and took off. He's got a ton of muscle so there's no way I can catch him if he's running.

Thankfully he ran straight back to my house.

WTF?
I honestly thought maybe it was Canola day at first, but no.

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
It smells like the same kind of BS "charge your phone in the microwave" viral misinformation campaign 4chan used to do 15 years ago.

Last edited:
I guess we Europeans just aren't as good as reading flirting or something. I can see it, but I wouldn't have considered it obvious or clear at all.

I guess we Europeans just aren't as good as reading flirting or something. I can see it, but I wouldn't have considered it obvious or clear at all.
Body language counts for a lot in these things, too--which we don't get from the original post. If someone says "you need to make it up to me" with a coy smile, it's obvious flirting. If they say "you need to make it up to me" and they look pissed off and sound strident, it's probably not.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAssh...ndroidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

I was reading this aita story and people replying that the nurse was clearly flirting. But I don't see it.
Even as the oblivious ace guy, yeah that's definitely flirting. "Oh, I'd never guess you're x because you're so attractive," and "Well, you still need to make it up to me," are obvious leading statements meant to allow the other person to reciprocate back if they're interested.

Reactions: Far
Even as the oblivious ace guy, yeah that's definitely flirting. "Oh, I'd never guess you're x because you're so attractive," and "Well, you still need to make it up to me," are obvious leading statements meant to allow the other person to reciprocate back if they're interested.
Sorry, I don't understand this. How is basically insulting someone flirting?

Then again I'm single for the past 24 years more or less so what do I know how to be a normal human?

Sorry, I don't understand this. How is basically insulting someone flirting?

Then again I'm single for the past 24 years more or less so what do I know how to be a normal human?
I don’t understand how it would be flirting either. Also, dude wasn’t required or obligated to tell the nurse he was a doctor. You can be a doctor and not be as skilled in the first aid side of things as someone that deals with it every day (like a school nurse). I’d say her reaction is more of a defensive reaction and possibly indicates that she is worried about (or suspects) some incident that occurred.

I don’t understand how it would be flirting either. Also, dude wasn’t required or obligated to tell the nurse he was a doctor. You can be a doctor and not be as skilled in the first aid side of things as someone that deals with it every day (like a school nurse). I’d say her reaction is more of a defensive reaction and possibly indicates that she is worried about (or suspects) some incident that occurred.
Dude is a lady, they're both ladies.

GasBandit

Staff member
It's all part of the special game of lies that we're still trying to cut our way through here that was put in place because women weren't allowed sexual agency. It's all about creating situations where you are obligated to do what you really want to do.

"I'm going to compliment you by way of an insult that doesn't make sense because I've been raised to assume I'm not allowed to flirt without being labeled a hussy."
"You have (not really) inadvertently committed an offense against me, one that is plainly, on its face, not an offense. But it gives you an opportunity to ask to take me to dinner to 'make it up to me' which, being borne of obligation, is now no longer an act of romance. So everything is innocent and above board."
"Oh no, I'm soooo drunk, what did you put in my drink, oh, I have fallen over and my legs have opened, surely you won't take advantage of me..."

#BabyItsColdOutside

Also, dude wasn’t required or obligated to tell the nurse he was a doctor. You can be a doctor and not be as skilled in the first aid side of things as someone that deals with it every day (like a school nurse). I’d say her reaction is more of a defensive reaction and possibly indicates that she is worried about (or suspects) some incident that occurred.
Ah yes, the defensive "you have to make it up to me for not telling me something you where not required or obligated to tell"...

Just returned from a weekend trip to Paris. It was quite an adventure. 2 days before departure, there was a strike announcement at my airport, so i had to take a 4 hour midnight bus to Berlin for the 6 am flight to Paris. Checked in at 10 am and the friend i was visiting picked me up and we did a speedrun sightseeing trip. Bastile, Eiffeltower, Pantheon, Latin Quarter, climed up some mountain for breathtaking view then down again to walk along the Seine and had a nice candlelight dinner. All in one Day. I was so exhausted. Then the rest of Paris on sunday.
I dont really like this kind of city experience, I prefer taking it slow, with regular stops at cafes, bars and restaurants, but she was so enthusiastic and was planning this for weeks. I didnt want to hurt her feelings. But damn, my feet are killing me.

For me, personally, I recognized the flirting after people pointed it out, but I also didn't see it when I read the story for the first time.

I may be an oblivious lesbian at heart.

GasBandit

Staff member
Well, I guess I have the reassurance that when I bought a Bolt, I bought the best one.

1682429261900.png

Ironic given how many "best EV for the money" articles have come out about the Bolt EUV in the last few months. But as it's a compact crossover, and not a BIG STONKIN TRUKK, I suppose it was to be expected - American car companies don't make cars any more.

GasBandit

Staff member
And really persistent confusion between it and the volt and the bullshit drama about them catching on fire.

Hopefully america will pivot towards reality and buy vehicles that make sense.
I left out the rest of the e-mail that said "Available later this year, our new EV Blazer and EV Equinox!" Yup. Cancel the cars and crossovers, launch more SUVs and Trucks. Because your teenager will gather paint on your fender in every parking lot and that's that.

I live in a city with a lot of snow. 4 wheel drive is a non-negotiable feature. Subaru is literally the only company that has a 4 wheel drive sedan (other than luxury brands). It’s maddening.

Well, I guess I have the reassurance that when I bought a Bolt, I bought the best one.
I thought I’d heard they were going away, but I’m surprised they’re notifying owners about it like it’s the end of some kind of “limited edition” run. I expected the move to “big” EVs, though less for “yee-haw” reasons and more because a larger frame can hold a larger battery, and Americans’ biggest concern with EVs seems to be their limited range.
Or maybe this is just the usual short life cycle for a particular model you get when you are trying to climb the tech tree as quickly as possible.
Subaru is literally the only company that has a 4 wheel drive sedan (other than luxury brands). It’s maddening.
No lie. I was looking and it’s either Subaru or over $70k.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I expected the move to “big” EVs, though less for “yee-haw” reasons and more because a larger frame can hold a larger battery, and Americans’ biggest concern with EVs seems to be their limited range.
It's the trend with all cars, even ICEVs. Literally the only car Ford makes anymore is the mustang. Everything else is a truck or SUV.

Or maybe this is just the usual short life cycle for a particular model you get when you are trying to climb the tech tree as quickly as possible.
It's been posited that one of the reasons might be because GM's about to launch their "ultium" EV platform, to which the Bolt does not conform. I think it's still primarily "AMERICANS WON'T BUY SMALL CARS" whargarbling that's been exponentially ratcheting up over the last couple decades.

Li'l Z and I were just at the NY Auto Show, and one of their big things now is you can go for test rides in the EVs at the show. (With one of their vetted drivers, of course.) I hate to say it, but the Chevy Bolt was the least impressive out of all the EVs we rode in, as far as comfort, handling, breaking, etc. And I say this as a person who still drives a "smaller" car, who hates SUVs and big vechiles, and wishes they would make more station wagons.

Sadly, between Li'l Z's...not being so little, and all the sports equipment/DIY projects we do on the regular, we're going to have to get a bigger car soon. Part of the reason I went it to find something slightly bigger than our Matrix, a hybrid at the minimum and....ugh. The field is not great.

All those brands offer normal and/or mini sized (e-) cars in Europe just fine. It's really just Americans with masculinity compensation issues.