Dave

Staff member
I listen to satellite radio in my car and I normally love it. But the stations sometimes play crap so I surf the dial. On my ride home today I came across a song by a group named Think. It was a typical 70s song that was trying to be socially conscious but it just comes across as silly and overblown. I listened through most of the song mildly chuckling when the ending comes out of nowhere. I was howling with laughter, which is SO not the reaction they were going for. The song is from 1971 and you just gotta hear it to believe it.

Radio in cars! Woke!

/s

The EMF in electric cars interferes with with AM radio reception, so going forward AM radio will not be included in their dedsgns. AM radio in US of A is right wing nut job city, so EVs are super woke now.

GasBandit

Staff member
Radio in cars! Woke!

/s

The EMF in electric cars interferes with with AM radio reception, so going forward AM radio will not be included in their dedsgns. AM radio in US of A is right wing nut job city, so EVs are super woke now.
AM radio works just fine in my electric car. The real reason AM radio is going away is because nobody listens to it anymore. Hell, people barely listen to FM.

I listen to satellite radio in my car and I normally love it. But the stations sometimes play crap so I surf the dial. On my ride home today I came across a song by a group named Think. It was a typical 70s song that was trying to be socially conscious but it just comes across as silly and overblown. I listened through most of the song mildly chuckling when the ending comes out of nowhere. I was howling with laughter, which is SO not the reaction they were going for. The song is from 1971 and you just gotta hear it to believe it.

These guys abuse stereophonics the way mid 2000s videogames abused brown and bloom!

Also that ending
eventually got sampled for use on several 90s techno songs, including "Mr. Kirk's Nightmare" by 4 Hero, "Mr. Kirk Your Son is Dead" by the Deadkirks, and I even heard it once on a remix of James Brown is Dead by LA Style, one of the first international techno hits to get normie attention.

....So all the other stations were playing such crap that you heard the first part of this and considered it the best to be found and stopped scrolling through to other stations?
Man, your radio selection must suck :-p

As always the truth is complex.

Does it cause interference? Yes.

Is it a problem that can be solved with engineering? Yes.

Is a problem that people want solved? No.

Will people pay to have it solved? No.

Can we make more money shoving satellite radio subsriptions down their throats and make it such that its the default option going forward? Fuck yes!!!!

Seriously, it's been 2 years stop calling us offering a subscription!

GasBandit

Staff member
....So all the other stations were playing such crap that you heard the first part of this and considered it the best to be found and stopped scrolling through to other stations?
Man, your radio selection must suck :-p
Speaking as a 16 year veteran of the radio industry, they do. They all do. It's yet another great example of why you don't want a few megacorps owning all the media, and even in the smaller concerns, all decisions are driven by an intricate web of baseless supposition and blatant, deliberate falsehoods.

But hey, it's "free."

it's been 2 years stop calling us offering a subscription!
The radio in my car will just spontaneously come on and start playing an endless "Why don't you subscribe to Sirius?" feed.
The automaker has sent me a notice that the cell modem in my car only supports 3G and will be impacted by the 3G sunset and they will upgrade it to LTE for free if I want to schedule an appointment to have that done.
I have opted to ignore this "opportunity" and look forward to the day when the Sirius part of the radio tries to wake up and play their ad...and can't.

--Patrick

Dave

Staff member
I honestly don't know anyone who doesn't just stream music from their phone instead of using radio of any kind
Because the satellite in my car is WAY more reliable than the reception on my phone to stream things like Pandora. And I don't want to download a bunch of stuff to my phone.

I honestly don't know anyone who doesn't just stream music from their phone instead of using radio of any kind
I can drive 20 minutes from my house and not have any cell service. I can drive 40 minutes East or West from town and have NO reliable radio station reception. I don’t live in the boondocks, but I can drive there from here.

GasBandit

Staff member
I use plexamp. When I'm on wi-fi, it precaches the next 100 songs from my plex server to the phone when I'm playing my "random" playlist, deleting them from cache as I play them. Then if I'm off wifi when that runs out, it will stream further songs one at a time on cell data if it's available... but so far that hasn't been an issue. I don't have to manage the downloads, the app handles everything after I chose the settings I wanted.

Dave

Staff member
I use plexamp. When I'm on wi-fi, it precaches the next 100 songs from my plex server to the phone when I'm playing my "random" playlist, deleting them from cache as I play them. Then if I'm off wifi when that runs out, it will stream further songs one at a time on cell data if it's available... but so far that hasn't been an issue. I don't have to manage the downloads, the app handles everything after I chose the settings I wanted.
I have not put any music on my Plex server.

I had music on mine pre plex-amp, and it sucked.
I heard about plex-amp some time ago and bookmarked the site, but haven't looked at it further. Maybe it's time for me to do so.

Customer: "All of us will get on our computers, on the internet, and boycott your company!"

Same Customer, 2 minutes earlier: "I don't have a computer! I don't want internet service!"

Customer: "All of us will get on our computers, on the internet, and boycott your company!"

Same Customer, 2 minutes earlier: "I don't have a computer! I don't want internet service!"
I know you said these customers are driving you crazy in the other thread, but it would take all of my strength not to get snarky at this point.

You: "Spectacular! Let me set up your currently non-existant internet package then!"

I know you said these customers are driving you crazy in the other thread, but it would take all of my strength not to get snarky at this point.

You: "Spectacular! Let me set up your currently non-existant internet package then!"
When he told me they'd boycott, I just said they're welcome to do so, if they wish.

He hung up on me for that.

Just remind the leavers that you’re not allowed to give them good customer service unless they’re actually your customer.
Actually… don’t say that.

—Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
TIL - it would take a lot less fuel to fling someone you hate out of the solar system than into the sun itself.

You would have to reduce orbital velocity by almost 100% (30 km/s) to actually hit the sun, whereas you would only have to increase it by about 40% (17-18 km/s) to break solar orbit.

It would actually be more efficient to hit the sun by doing a gravity slingshot around Jupiter (21 km/s delta-v required).

It would actually be more efficient to hit the sun by doing a gravity slingshot around Jupiter (21 km/s delta-v required).
What about just flinging them directly into Jupiter itself? Also who has been annoying you enough that you are planning these elaborate ways of getting rid of them, and why are they @Terrik?

GasBandit

Staff member
What about just flinging them directly into Jupiter itself?
Because the Sun is the variable in the scope of this project. Either flinging someone into, or inextricably away from. If I was going to fling somebody into a planet I could just fling them repeatedly into Earth. For almost no Delta V fuel cost at all!

My girlfriend had a bad wipeout on her bike while we were biking across the bridge towards ny place.

She's mostly okay, but she's having difficulty moving her arm and in a lot of pain. We're at the hospital now to have it looked at.
She was sent home about 1:30 AM last night after some x-rays. The doctor said she had a small fracture in her ulna bone. She'll be wearing a sling for awhile. And obviously, no biking for her for now.