I need a cartoonist roommate so they can draw all of the dumb observations I have about my life. Today's wit:

Title: "Things no one tells you about getting older"
Panel 1: Old man gets up from the easy chair saying "I'm in the mood for a snack..."
Panel 2: Close-up of a cartoony happy faced bladder. "Oh boy! Time to go to the bathroom!"
Panel 3: Old man--"No..I was just getting up for a snack. We just went..."
Panel 4: Bladder, looking mean and hard, with a baseball bat in its hands--"I wasn't asking, old man..."

figmentPez

Staff member
Maybe if they rebrand as essential oils, it'll appease the conservative Karens. It's not a magic pot, it's a diffuser! Those aren't potion ingredients, they're natural botanicals. They're not summoning demons, they're creating signature scents, with a marketable mascott. MLM for kids!

I'm going to have to budget some time to go through my old vector calculus book. I seem to remember that you can get the area of an ellipse by converting to elliptical polar coordinates by using a Jacobian and integrating theta from 0 to 2π. I wonder if the same trick works for the circumference. (To be fair, I need to make sure the trick works for the area in the first place.)

And, yes, I'm over complicating things, @PatrThom is the best sort of correct.

I'm over complicating things, @PatrThom is the best sort of correct.
One of my tests in calculus class was something like, "Calculate how much distance a wheel of diameter x will travel in 3.5 revolutions" or the like. I know we were supposed to use some kind of fancy-pants calculus method to solve this, but I was just like, "Circumference of wheel is x*π so distance traveled is 3.5xπ okay next problem..."

--Patrick

I'm going to have to budget some time to go through my old vector calculus book. I seem to remember that you can get the area of an ellipse by converting to elliptical polar coordinates by using a Jacobian and integrating theta from 0 to 2π. I wonder if the same trick works for the circumference. (To be fair, I need to make sure the trick works for the area in the first place.)

And, yes, I'm over complicating things, @PatrThom is the best sort of correct.
1643174167427.png

Had a 2nd round job interview today (for a bank/IT job). Went well, I think. One of the pieces of feedback I got was: "tell fewer stories, be more concise."

Also taking a class all this week (churchy doctorate stuff). Going well, I think. One of the pieces of feedback I've gotten is: "tell more stories, be less concise."

Oy vey.
I can't win!

Dave

Staff member
Had a 2nd round job interview today (for a bank/IT job). Went well, I think. One of the pieces of feedback I got was: "tell fewer stories, be more concise."

Also taking a class all this week (churchy doctorate stuff). Going well, I think. One of the pieces of feedback I've gotten is: "tell more stories, be less concise."

Oy vey.
I can't win!
I once had an interview with a company and it was almost immediately apparent I was not the guy for the job. The interviewer and I hit it off almost immediately and they wished I'd have had the technical background they were looking for. But he was so impressed that he sent me upstairs to interview for a job I WAS qualified for but it had not been posted yet. That interview was a disaster.

The feedback I got was essentially the same as you. The first guy loved the fact that I was upfront and told him my family was #1 and that everything I was doing was for them. He liked how I told him I would work hard & do a good job because if the company was successful that means I would be as well, ergo my family would be. The second guy was like, "The company doing well should be your focus, even if it means you make sacrifices. Your family and personal life are secondary and even talking about them is a strike against you."

Not a direct quote, of course, but that was the basic message. I thanked him and went my merry way, marveling at the disparate management types in that company.

I once had an interview with a company and it was almost immediately apparent I was not the guy for the job. The interviewer and I hit it off almost immediately and they wished I'd have had the technical background they were looking for. But he was so impressed that he sent me upstairs to interview for a job I WAS qualified for but it had not been posted yet. That interview was a disaster.

The feedback I got was essentially the same as you. The first guy loved the fact that I was upfront and told him my family was #1 and that everything I was doing was for them. He liked how I told him I would work hard & do a good job because if the company was successful that means I would be as well, ergo my family would be. The second guy was like, "The company doing well should be your focus, even if it means you make sacrifices. Your family and personal life are secondary and even talking about them is a strike against you."

Not a direct quote, of course, but that was the basic message. I thanked him and went my merry way, marveling at the disparate management types in that company.
I can guess which department has the happier employees, and the boss doesn’t care that they’re not happy.

I would've stopped by the first guy's office on my way out and said to him, "So, if you ever get promoted to the other guy's job, here's my number..."

--Patrick