The Tech Random Crap Thread

Every letter on my keyboard works except
Post automatically merged:

The key is vital to how I ucking type

Ok so now I need to look up why one letter on my new mechanical keyboard would not be working, un night ahead or me

Got the cover o and g. It's lit up, not seeing anything around it, it eels just like every other key. It's just not doing anything when I press it

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

When I plug it in it spams until I hit any other key, then stops working again

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

When I plug it in it spams until I hit any other key, then stops working again
This is consistent with being stuck.

--Patrick

Think I likely shorted it from the vape. Hope it's not permanent or that there is something here I can replace. It lights up and clicks just like any other key

IMG_20211126_225653011.jpg

Don't have any duster around so I've got a fan blowing on it. F key is working again but some keys like k and caps lock are also inputting f

I once bought a cheap mech, had problems almost right out of the box similar to what you describe. How new is it? If it's still in the return window, I'd return it for a different one, probably not worth the hassle.

Seems to be fine now. It could very well have been dusty from typing with a cigarette in my hand and it getting stuck while vaping was just a coincidence lol

I once bought a cheap mech, had problems almost right out of the box similar to what you describe. How new is it? If it's still in the return window, I'd return it for a different one, probably not worth the hassle.
According to my emails it was order on nov 1 and delivered on nov 13. I think it was just unclean bc I do stupid things all the time

Someone on reddit can't seem to grasp that I'm looking to build a new PC and not just drop a new CPU into the one I've got. Or that I'm not entirely committed to even starting that project yet.

Someone on reddit can't seem to grasp that I'm looking to build a new PC and not just drop a new CPU into the one I've got. Or that I'm not entirely committed to even starting that project yet.
Oh I fucking hate reddit, dude, they can't even try to understand what somebody else is saying

Oh I fucking hate reddit, dude, they can't even try to understand what somebody else is saying
This, so much. I once asked on the Reddit for my local city somewhere I could get a car hitch installed for a possible bike rack. Someone kept saying "Just install it yourself. It's easy." No, dude. I have zero mechanical skills and I'm not going to screw up my car or the hitch. And I told him this REPEATEDLY, but he just kept saying "It's easy" or "be a man" or some nonsense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cat
This, so much. I once asked about on the Reddit for my local city somewhere I could get a car hitch installed for a possible bike rack. Someone kept saying "Just install it yourself. It's easy." No, dude. I have zero mechanical skills and I'm not going to screw up my car or the hitch. And I told him this REPEATEDLY, but he just kept saying "It's easy" or "be a man" or some nonsense.
in the last month I fell into the audio rabbit hole, headphones, amps, dacs etc. I kept asking for advice all over and kept getting the door slammed in my face. with a general, "FOOL! YOU ARE TOO STUPID TO UNDERSTAND THIS DARK MAGIC, MAY YOU WANDER LOST IN THE DARKNESS OF DOLLAR STORE EARBUDS FOR ALL YOUR DAYS!" Our very own @PatrThom and @GasBandit lent their time to helping me understand. I begin to understand why so many people fall out of hobbies when you meet "experts" who immediately banish you with no instructions.

in the last month I fell into the audio rabbit hole, headphones, amps, dacs etc. I kept asking for advice all over and kept getting the door slammed in my face. with a general, "FOOL! YOU ARE TOO STUPID TO UNDERSTAND THIS DARK MAGIC, MAY YOU WANDER LOST IN THE DARKNESS OF DOLLAR STORE EARBUDS FOR ALL YOUR DAYS!" Our very own @PatrThom and @GasBandit lent their time to helping me understand. I begin to understand why so many people fall out of hobbies when you meet "experts" who immediately banish you with no instructions.
I almost did that with the tinwhistle. When my girlfriend took me to a show and I fell in love with the instrument, I asked the guy playing it what it was. He not only didn't tell me the name of the instrument, he was a dick about it, too. All he told me was "It's expensive" with a derisive chuckle. I didn't actually learn it was a tinwhistle until 2 years later when a friend of mine explained it and bought me a cheap one for christmas.

Fast forward 8 or 9 years later, to the Texas Renaissance Festival (where that guy's band played every year, too). I have a low D tinwhistle, and he hears me playing it, and he kind of stalks me across the fair for half an hour before he comes up and asks me what I'm playing. "It's expensive." I say.

But then, I relented and explained what it was and where to find them. Because I'm only a little bit of a dick ;)

I almost did that with the tinwhistle. When my girlfriend took me to a show and I fell in love with the instrument, I asked the guy playing it what it was. He not only didn't tell me the name of the instrument, he was a dick about it, too. All he told me was "It's expensive" with a derisive chuckle. I didn't actually learn it was a tinwhistle until 2 years later when a friend of mine explained it and bought me a cheap one for christmas.

Fast forward 8 or 9 years later, to the Texas Renaissance Festival (where that guy's band played every year, too). I have a low D tinwhistle, and he hears me playing it, and he kind of stalks me across the fair for half an hour before he comes up and asks me what I'm playing. "It's expensive." I say.

But then, I relented and explained what it was and where to find them. Because I'm only a little bit of a dick ;)
Lol I got the "it's expensive" bullshit when I asked a clerk in a music store about getting a ukulele. Ending buying one on amazon and teaching myself to play it. Some people got some strong barriers to keep others away

@Tinwhistler 's story sounds like a Tom Hanks movie plot.

--Patrick
Oh, I left out the most Tom Hanks-iest bits...that girlfriend that drug me to the show? She was always an 'expert' on everything. And by that, I meant she had explanations for everything, and they were almost always wrong. She said she knew what the instrument was, and bought me a yamaha recorder for christmas. And I couldn't play it at all. When I was whining about it some months later to the other, new, friend, she explained that the instrument used wasn't a recorder at all, and promised to get me a real tinwhistle the upcoming christmas. And I took to it like a duck to water. I ended up breaking up with the recorder girl shortly thereafter, and marrying the tinwhistle girl.

Last edited:
Lol I got the "it's expensive" bullshit when I asked a clerk in a music store about getting a ukulele. Ending buying one on amazon and teaching myself to play it. Some people got some strong barriers to keep others away
What? The ukulele is one of the best beginner instruments. Why the hell would a music store not want you to get one? My ukulele was the gateway drug that led to a bass ukulele, a bass guitar, and a classical guitar!

Reactions: Cat
What comes to mind is "its just a phase, you will lose interest in a few days/weeks/month." But then you don't. In my current case, im a sponge for media, and an avid lover of technology, and finally a resolute academic. We all had our reasons for starting our journeys. It's one of those, you never know how one moment of kindness could be the seeds of greatness.

What comes to mind is "its just a phase, you will lose interest in a few days/weeks/month." But then you don't. In my current case, im a sponge for media, and an avid lover of technology, and finally a resolute academic. We all had our reasons for starting our journeys. It's one of those, you never know how one moment of kindness could be the seeds of greatness.
Yep, I was told that. And my interest in it comes and goes but I'm always able to tune it and learn a song if I feel like it. It's really funny to me cause a sale's a sale, pretty sure that little store had no refunds

A couple of months ago i was ranting about my graphic card just randomly stopping and uninstalling its drivers after restarting the pc.
This started happening a couple of weeks after upgrading to the current AMD drivers,which i by then forgot I did.
Did a lot of other troubleshooting, disabling Windows automatic driver install, reinstalling the current driver after doing a deep clean using DDD.
After remembering the root of the problem, I reinstalled the 2020 drivers and it hasnt crashed once during gaming.
Guess i will keep this drivers till i cant anymore.

So you've probably seen those Mouse Computer laptop ads with the idols dressed as mouse girls. I decided to go take a look and see what they had and if they were any good. The B5-R5 is about the same, if not less than my current hp. Ryzen 5 4500U, Radeon graphics, 8GB RAM, and 256GB SSD. My hp has a 512GB nVME, and I upgraded to 16GB RAM. The Mouse has an ethernet port where mine doesn't. So meh.

Apparently the MS store does *not* like encrypted DNS. Downloads were failing at the acquiring license point with it enabled. Turn it off, and all is well.

You gave us this feature, yet you don't like us using it? Eh?