The Tech Random Crap Thread

Apparently the MS store does *not* like encrypted DNS. Downloads were failing at the acquiring license point with it enabled. Turn it off, and all is well.

You gave us this feature, yet you don't like us using it? Eh?
I'm be honest, I don't think I know anyone who has ever willingly used the ms store

figmentPez

Staff member
I love borderline stupid uses of technology:

BMW with an eink paint job. This is likely too expensive, going to have legal issues, is definitely going to cause accidents if it's allowed to shift like that while the car is in motion, and probably isn't going to be that effective at cooling the car. But damn if it isn't a fun concept.

I've been getting annoyed lately at how many ads I was seeing, and suddenly realized I never reinstalled an ad blocker on my new phone. So, that's going to change.
I know there are some people here with lots of experience and clear preferences, sooo... What ad blocker do I want /need? I'm already using YouTube vanced for most video stuff.

If you use uBlock Origin, and are tired of the latest crap from YouTube screwing with your search results, add this line to your custom filters:
Code:
www.youtube.com##ytd-video-renderer.style-scope:has(span:has-text(/New/i))
I mean, seriously? WTF does Linus Tech Tips have to do with Yuri Andropov's funeral?

In my 20's, I ordered a big spool of coax, and a bag of heads, and a crimping tool I ended up making cut-to-fit cable every time I switched apartments. That shit lasted me nearly 20 years. heh.

(in that same time frame, I bought a 500 pack of Avery address labels, 30 to the page. I just used the last one a few months ago)

GasBandit

Staff member
I'd rather not have my installers doing field terminations of BNC coax, though :p these guys manage to stab themselves on fiber optics fairly often, and seems like I have to make them reterminate RJ45 and even goddamn phoenix connectors way more often than I should.

So when it comes to patch cables and SDI, I prefer prefab cables wherever possible.

my new DAC is still 4-5 weeks out and i ordered it new years :(
I ordered a CPU on Jan 4th, got tired of waiting on Jan 25th and told PayPal to cancel it, ordered it somewhere else and got it in 4 days.
I just got the cancellation confirmation from the Jan 4th people tonight.

--Patrick

Not sure where else to put this, but I thought this was interesting. A deep dive into how drone delivery services quickly crashed and burned.

Not sure where else to put this, but I thought this was interesting. A deep dive into how drone delivery services quickly crashed and burned.

No time to watch now, definitely will later.... But drone delivery is definitely going to be a thing, plenty of successful tests and trials. Depends on when and where, of course. It's not viable everywhere... Certain big companies in deliveries/logistics are waaay infected in it. Not that I would have any inside knowledge or anything. :ninja:

No time to watch now, definitely will later.... But drone delivery is definitely going to be a thing, plenty of successful tests and trials. Depends on when and where, of course. It's not viable everywhere... Certain big companies in deliveries/logistics are waaay infected in it. Not that I would have any inside knowledge or anything. :ninja:
I think you mean "invested" but honestly "infected" seems appropriate too, doesn't it.

On request of my ISP I swung by one of their shops and replaced my modem "to get more out of your money".
I mean, I'm not one to complain, but it does seem this helps a bit:
1645378429597.png

Haven't changed a thing otherwise on m setup, speed went up some 50%.

GasBandit

Staff member
I don't trust speedtest.net any more because I know a lot of ISPs whitelist them - they detect you running the test and they take you out of the limit queue so your connection looks good.

Fast.com is usually a better indicator of speed, since it is hosted on netflix's servers - and if they are going to throttle something, it usually starts there. Not always, though, I think a lot of ISPs (mine included) have figured this out and are doing the same thing there. For example, I get 870 mbit from fast.com now, whreas speedof.me gives me about 150.

Other good indicators of "real world" performance:
SpeedOf.Me | Internet speed test for all devices
Speed Test by Measurement Lab
TestMy.net Internet Speed Test

I don't trust speedtest.net any more because I know a lot of ISPs whitelist them - they detect you running the test and they take you out of the limit queue so your connection looks good.

Fast.com is usually a better indicator of speed, since it is hosted on netflix's servers - and if they are going to throttle something, it usually starts there. Not always, though, I think a lot of ISPs (mine included) have figured this out and are doing the same thing there. For example, I get 870 mbit from fast.com now, whreas speedof.me gives me about 150.

There's gotta be a way to spoof the address through a VPN and convince your isp that every site you're visiting is speedtestdotnet

GasBandit

Staff member
There's gotta be a way to spoof the address through a VPN and convince your isp that every site you're visiting is speedtestdotnet
Problem there is you're then limited to the max speed of your VPN, and it's rare you find one of those willing to give you over 100mbit (And sometimes even only that in bursts and not sustained).

Sheesh :-P

1645440062900.png

1645440080547.png

1645440089324.png

1645440101616.png

Quite some differences, in part because some connect to servers just around here, and others go to Germany or the UK. These were also all done while my work PC was connected as well and during working hours, so I'm not too disappointed.

On the other hand, this is speedtest through my work VPN:

1645440417188.png

Joy joy.

Attachments

There is nothing more draining than trying to go through old tech - and the cords and connectors that accompany them.

As of this moment, I have five external hard drives, of which I am not sure how many actually work. There is a sixth HD that I had in an older computer that I am relatively certain doesn't work. I also have uncovered tons of USB/Firewire/old iPod connectors that would make a kid of the '90's cry. I also have three spare keyboards - one a roll-out one that I'm pretty sure no longer works.