The Tech Random Crap Thread

There's a vtuber who has decided to "2.5d" her avatar by mixing her real life torso (while wearing cosplay of her avatar) with her virtual head.

Thats the girl who used to portray CoCo on Hololive. She was a huge reason for the popularity of V-Tubers on the english speaking side of the world.

Thats the girl who used to portray CoCo on Hololive. She was a huge reason for the popularity of V-Tubers on the english speaking side of the world.
She is literally why hololive English exists. She was raised in Georgia, and moved back to japan.

Last edited:
So after the incident posted in the whine thread, I do a little more reading and decide to spend an extra $40 to get the SK Hynix Gold P31 NVMe drive instead, along with the same USB enclosure I'd tried to order the first time for cloning purposes.

And there's the rub. Do I really want to clone, or is this a good time for the first fresh install of Windows since I built the machine nearly three years ago?

If I didn't mention it already, the attempted clone started to boot, but immediately crashed, so I just threw my hands up and did a fresh install anyway.

The hardest part of the clone was simply finding software that would do it without demanding $50 for the privilege first. So many apps advertising themselves as "free cloning software" only to install and find the clone function was only in the Pro version that costs $50 and up.

We cloned NVMe (400GB) -> NVMe (2TB) without any real hiccups using {EDIT: the free version of] Macrium Reflect. There was one single hiccup, and it ended up being the fault of the SATA drive which was connected to a completely different bus.

--Patrick

Last edited:
The Internet of Things was horrible mistake.
...of things you have no control over, you mean.
Personally, I have no problem with connecting things to the Internet. Making them require Internet in order to perform even their most basic of functions, though? No. Stupid. Stop it.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
I would love to have a washer/dryer that can remotely tell me when a load is finished. (It would save time and energy, which are in short supply for someone with chronic illness.) Maybe, someday, it will be possible to have that without also having a machine that needs a companion app, a data harvesting log-in account, and the promise of firstborn children.

This is directed at everyone: Please don't "well, actually..." or "but technically...." me on this, please. Yes, there are potential DIY solutions, that would take time, effort, and money I don't have. Yes, I know I could make a table of all possible times for the various load options on my washing machine. I don't want to have to do that. I want technology to make my life easier. Just tell that obnoxious little nerd part of your brain to shut up about it's need to be precisely correct about everything, and just accept the fact that I want the easy future technology should provide, without the corporate shackles it currently has. That's what I meant by my original post. Not that there are zero products that are made better by internet connections, just that the entire concept has been monetized to (figurative!) death.

Maybe, someday, it will be possible to have that without also having a machine that needs a companion app, a data harvesting log-in account, and the promise of firstborn children.
Therein lies the problem. That is the entire POINT of the Internet of Things. It's the whole point behind the shift from "Facebook" to "Meta." They finally had to admit their real goal is to attempt to monetize all human behavior. Doing the laundry? Someone who is not you or I is making a buck off of that. Taking a shower? Someone who is not you or I is making a buck off of that. Breathing? You get the picture.

This is not on you. This is a rant I've been holding in for a while now.

tell that obnoxious little nerd part of your brain to shut up about it's need to be precisely correct about everything, and just accept the fact that I want the easy future technology should provide, without the corporate shackles it currently has.
My "fair" post was me agreeing with you about that dream, and a statement that Internet-connected products deserve to be made so that they are still useful even when not connected to the Internet or to some account. We're on the same side, here.

--Patrick

I would love to have a washer/dryer that can remotely tell me when a load is finished. (It would save time and energy, which are in short supply for someone with chronic illness.) Maybe, someday, it will be possible to have that without also having a machine that needs a companion app, a data harvesting log-in account, and the promise of firstborn children.

This is directed at everyone: Please don't "well, actually..." or "but technically...." me on this, please. Yes, there are potential DIY solutions, that would take time, effort, and money I don't have. Yes, I know I could make a table of all possible times for the various load options on my washing machine. I don't want to have to do that. I want technology to make my life easier. Just tell that obnoxious little nerd part of your brain to shut up about it's need to be precisely correct about everything, and just accept the fact that I want the easy future technology should provide, without the corporate shackles it currently has. That's what I meant by my original post. Not that there are zero products that are made better by internet connections, just that the entire concept has been monetized to (figurative!) death.
You're right, dude. It sucks how much people have either accepted or denied the surveillance state we live in. Doesn't help that most only care about the government checking in on them, never corporations

I've had a conservation with a neighbor who scolded me for saying something against capitalism, bc capitalism replaced monarchy so it's a good thing donchaknow. Then made the same criticism I did about "big tech" then minutes later lol

Pretty sure she was parroting a prageru video and I could find her exact wording if I looked this up

figmentPez

Staff member
You're right, dude. It sucks how much people have either accepted or denied the surveillance state we live in. Doesn't help that most only care about the government checking in on them, never corporations
I'm equally frustrated by people who recognize the privacy issue, and just say "well, we don't need that technology anyway". Fuck that bullshit. I want thermostats that can be programmed from my cellphone or computer, and not the crappy interface that a segmented display and a few buttons allow. I want a smoker grill that can warn me about flare-ups, or tell me that the pellet fuel chute is clogged. I want a fridge that can remind me that the pack of bacon I've got is going to be past date soon, or detect that my milk has gone sour. I want technology to make life better in tiny, stupid little ways that would be absurdly decadent a century ago.

I'm equally frustrated by people who recognize the privacy issue, and just say "well, we don't need that technology anyway". Fuck that bullshit. I want thermostats that can be programmed from my cellphone or computer, and not the crappy interface that a segmented display and a few buttons allow. I want a smoker grill that can warn me about flare-ups, or tell me that the pellet fuel chute is clogged. I want a fridge that can remind me that the pack of bacon I've got is going to be past date soon, or detect that my milk has gone sour. I want technology to make life better in tiny, stupid little ways that would be absurdly decadent a century ago.
l;'\
ASDFGHJKEYBOasdfghjkl;'\rasdfghjkl;'\
FGHJKL;'\
asdfghjkl;'\
u
ASDFGHJKL;'\T BROSDFGHJKL;'\
aeASDFGHJKL;'\

There is no reason why I shouldn't be able to have an intranet that connects every device in my home without going online where it could be hacked or spied on

Think it's working again
Post automatically merged:

Behind the scenes of the "Where has cat been" thread.
There was a point where I stopped trying to have a point about anything and I was just outright trolling everyone lol