[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

not one person did anything resembling "talent" in Seven Pounds[DOUBLEPOST=1368131815][/DOUBLEPOST]Don't get me wrong. Jamie Foxx was AWESOME in Django. But Will Smith turned it down because he thought the German Bounty Hunter character got too many lines / was a co-lead which is just kind of .... weird/stupid/terrible

Well, he certainly didn't buck the trend with Men In Black 3, but I'm sure I, Robot 2, Hancock 2, and Bad Boys 3 will all have him playing very different roles than he did in I, Robot, Hancock and Bad Boys.
And the assumption that those movies will actually be made is based on...? And doing MIB 3 somehow takes away from the other movies he's done how?

And the assumption that those movies will actually be made is based on...? And doing MIIB 3 somehow takes away from the other movies he's done how?
Bad Boys 3 and Hancock 2 have both been confirmed in development, with Will Smith saying he's interested. So it'll happen. Just a matter of when. I Robot 2 though, is only in the faintest of rumours right now. Independence Day 2 and 3 will probably happen first.

And because you stated that Pursuit of Happyness and Seven Pounds were some of his most recent films, but MIB 3 is his MOST recent. This certainly doesn't negate his work in those two movies, (and I never said it did), but it does illustrate that your implied argument that the trend is changing with his characters is entirely fictional. Especially with Hancock inbetween. If anything, it illustrates a pattern in his roles going back to Ali and The Legend of Bagger Vance.

Bad Boys 3 and Hancock 2 have both been confirmed in development, with Will Smith saying he's interested. So it'll happen. Just a matter of when. I Robot 2 though, is only in the faintest of rumours right now. Independence Day 2 and 3 will probably happen first.

And because you stated that Pursuit of Happyness and Seven Pounds were some of his most recent films, but MIB 3 is his MOST recent. This certainly doesn't negate his work in those two movies, (and I never said it did), but it does illustrate that your implied argument that the trend is changing with his characters is entirely fictional. Especially with Hancock inbetween. If anything, it illustrates a pattern in his roles going back to Ali and The Legend of Bagger Vance.
His last 5 movies:
MIB 3
Seven Pounds
Hancock
I Am Legend
The Pursuit of Happyness

Of them, maybe 2 follow the old trend. Throw in After Earth, where by all accounts he's playing a stern, cold, miltary type, and I think I am quite justified by saying he in recent years generally plays something other than his old type.

GasBandit

Staff member
Ground control to Sandra Bullock! Your circuit's dead! There's something wrong! Can you hear me, Sandra Bullock? Can you hear me, Sandra Bullock?

Is someone on this board really complaining/giving will smith shit for playing the same kind of character in a SEQUEL? :facepalm:

Dave

Staff member
I'm actually impressed by the way he acts (mostly) in sequels. In MiBII he was on top of the game and knew what he was doing. Gone was the confused agent in training. At least until they brought K back in. Then he went back to the same character from the first movie. I blame the script more than anything but it made no sense at all.

Is someone on this board really complaining/giving will smith shit for playing the same kind of character in a SEQUEL? :facepalm:
I think you entirely misconstrued my point. My point wasn't that he played the same character in a sequel (That's... obvious and silly). My point was the idea that he doesn't do those roles anymore, when he is so keen on doing sequels to movies where he plays those roles, is rubbish.
I'll also point out, I stated sincerely that I don't actually mind this about him at all. I enjoy Men in Black, I enjoyed... well.... half of Hancock anyway (I've expressed before that movie was strange and was tonally two very different movies, each of which were interesting takes on the superhero genre but which did not mesh well together) , I enjoyed Independence Day. I have no issue with actors playing essentially the same roles. If that's what people want to see you in, then why not continue to do it?

Anyway, Ravenpoe knows what's up, as ever, and I will say no more on this because this is probably the second or third stupidest argument I've seen on these boards going back all the way to the Image Forum days and I am ashamed in myself for being a part of it.

Wow, we saw entirely different trailers, man. There's no way Bay could make a movie look that good.
Anyone who doesn't give an Alfonso Cuaron movie a chance is dead to me. The man is one of the best film directors out there, and he doesn't do a ton of films so when he does, it's going to be great.

I think you entirely misconstrued my point. My point wasn't that he played the same character in a sequel (That's... obvious and silly). My point was the idea that he doesn't do those roles anymore, when he is so keen on doing sequels to movies where he plays those roles, is rubbish.
...I have no idea why you argued with me then, given that I never said he didn't do those roles anymore, even going so far as to point out a movie in which he did play such a role. :confused:

So is this a prequel or sequel to perfect dark? Obviously it's not a sequel to Chronicles.
They did a prequel to Perfect Dark, it was called Perfect Dark Zero and it was on the N64, I'm pretty sure.

:p

Considering the end of Pitch Black, I'm thinking prequel. Also, the mountain he's looking at at one point is shaped like the head of one of the creatures from Pitch Black. Not sure if that's relevant.

GasBandit

Staff member
They did a prequel to Perfect Dark, it was called Perfect Dark Zero and it was on the N64, I'm pretty sure.

:p

Considering the end of Pitch Black, I'm thinking prequel. Also, the mountain he's looking at at one point is shaped like the head of one of the creatures from Pitch Black. Not sure if that's relevant.
Yeah, Vin Deisel was hella hot in Perfect Dark >_< "Womp womp"

"Screw it, let's just do the same setting as Pitch Black, but still make Riddick the hero instead of what made him interesting: a criminal asshole who winds up being the key to survival for a bunch of good people."

Dave

Staff member
That looks much better than the Riddick one, which essentially showed us most of the movie.

My prediction on Riddick: He will fight and get captured because he wants to, then he'll be the only survivor save one special person (probably a girl) and the whole time he'll be putting on and taking off the goggles, which do nothing more that to show how dramatic and serious he is in the moment.