[Movies] The Upcoming Movies Trailer Thread

*sob* Why? WHY DO THESE KEEP GETTING MADE?!
It seems like it was made by people who had heard of humor and jokes and yet had no understanding of what they are or how they should be used.

And instead of giving up and moving on they just throw as much crap at the screen as possible and hope that some of it sticks.

Spoof movies are fucking dead. Even worse than the crammed in pop culture references, look at the cinematography! My god, what was their budget a freakin' shoe box full of ones?

Four years, really? Now that I think about it, those films have A LOT in common. Both are technological breakthroughs in terms of cinematography, both have just okay plots(I liked Matrix as a kid, but can't watch it now without sleeping) and both are still made fun of in TVs and movies even though they came out years ago(which I've stated four posts above but felt like retyping because I like typing and my hands feel better). Weird.

Dude, The Matrix was and is one of the better-written, original sci-fi movies in ages. Certainly a lot less derivative than Avatar. And I'm not talking just "Ferngully in space," an argument I hate because it shares a story archtype, but still does some new stuff. Moreso in the designs in the movie, like the mechs looking straight out of Aliens and the flying machines out of the Terminator movies.

I wouldn't say its that original a story since Grant Morrison's "The Invisibles" came out five years before and incorporated a lot of the spiritual concepts of reality and conspiracy that were also in "The Matrix", with much better prose. There are also some who think the Matrix ripped off a bit from The Invisibles, hell look at King Mob! The dude looks like a bald Neo with sunglasses(yes I know he was actually bald, but he didn't wear sunglasses that much in the real world so HA)! Either that or Morrison's hyper-sygil worked and merely inspired the Wachowskis with-out them knowing.

I wouldn't say its that original a story since Grant Morrison's "The Invisibles" came out five years before and incorporated a lot of the spiritual concepts of reality and conspiracy that were also in "The Matrix", with much better prose. There are also some who think the Matrix ripped off a bit from The Invisibles, hell look at King Mob! The dude looks like a bald Neo with sunglasses(yes I know he was actually bald, but he didn't wear sunglasses that much in the real world so HA)! Either that or Morrison's hyper-sygil worked and merely inspired the Wachowskis with-out them knowing.

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun Ecclesiastes 1:9

The Matrix owns, Avatar sucks, Q.E.D.

The Matrix (the first one) is an honest to goodness good film. The two sequels are not, but are guilty pleasures of mine.

I enjoyed Avatar, but had no desire to watch it again after the first viewing. It did, however, turn us all briefly into furries. Right? Am I right?

... am I?

Don't get me wrong I see the appeal, but it just ain't my cup of rams blood. I been into existentialism and conspiracy really seriously like since I was at least a teen and feel the film isn't the best in terms of discussing those themes.

Don't get me wrong I see the appeal, but it just ain't my cup of rams blood. I been into existentialism and conspiracy really seriously like since I was at least a teen and feel the film isn't the best in terms of discussing those themes.

Admittedly, it's not, but just the fact that the movie dwells on those themes at all makes it pretty awesome.

North_Ranger

Staff member
For me, Avatar can be summarized in these words: "giant space Smurfs".

On the subject of spoof movies, the Nostalgia Critic offered a worthwhile video on the subject. To which I pretty much agree. I miss the good, old-fashioned spoof movies á la Airplane and the first two Naked Guns.

Frankenstein's Army, where nazis find Doctor Frankenstein's diary and apparently use it to reenact Hostel. Was afraid it was gonna be about Doc Frankenstein FIGHTING nazis, PHEW! Thats MY screen play dammit!

For me, Avatar can be summarized in these words: "giant space Smurfs".

On the subject of spoof movies, the Nostalgia Critic offered a worthwhile video on the subject. To which I pretty much agree. I miss the good, old-fashioned spoof movies á la Airplane and the first two Naked Guns.
I feel like movies like Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are the new smart spoof movie. Not a straight spoof, but a toss up to those genre cliches while being their own movie.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I feel like movies like Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are the new smart spoof movie. Not a straight spoof, but a toss up to those genre cliches while being their own movie.
Son, you just mentioned my two favourite movies. Have some brofists.

Okay yeah, fucking bless those guys! If it weren't for them Spoof would be COMPLETELY dead. Also they make spoof films that are in their own nature good ass films, which is what spoof movies are supposed to do but not where the money is concerned.

He is from Mirkwood. Don't recall if there's stuff in the Appendixes or Unfinished Tales about him during the Hobbit, but those woods are his home and elven lifespan and what not.

GasBandit

Staff member
On the one hand, I still want to be cranky about taking 3 movies to tell the story of the shortest, simplest book about middle earth, and egregious cameos are egregious. But on the other hand (gleeful, giddy clapping).

So, I assume the last movie in the series is going to be half the defeat of Smaug and half using expanded lore to lead up to where the Lord of the Rings movies started. Looks like this trailer indicates that the movie covers the elves and the spiders and even up to Bilbo doing the recon in Smaug's treasure room.

Remember there is a major battle to fight after killing Smaug. He will likely die at the end of this film, or the first 30 minutes of the last film.