[News] The USA Police State will never satisfy its lust for beating, gassing, and imprisoning minorities

My remark on Discord was, "Wow, she really cleaned up that town!"

--Patrick
It was all her fault, really. It even says in the article:
”She came in, first of all, to start giving us tasks and all these projects…”
Imagine the nerve! A black woman being in charge of a town, giving the police “tasks” and “projects” and the like! How are they supposed to continue working under such oppression?

It's not a race issue. The previous manager was black but "played the game" with the cops. So much so that when he committed sexual assault, the cops did nothing. New manager is, shockingly, holding them accountable.

GasBandit

Staff member
One of the officers being sentenced for George Floyd's death used his sentencing statement to call for the murder of homosexuals.

figmentPez

Staff member

This reads like a plot for the 34th season of The Simpsons.

Quimby: This great city faces a terrible choice. Officers blindly firing into crowds is just too dangerous. So I have made the decision that the crowds must go! Food trucks are now banned from downtown Springfield.

Officer Lou: But Chief, without the food trucks, what will happen to Taco Tuesday?

Chief Wiggum: That's just a sacrifice we'll have to make, Lou. Being a cop is the toughest job in the world.

figmentPez

Staff member
It's not just the US police. Canadian police like to harass minorities too!

Streamer 'Keffals' Held in Transphobic 'Swatting,' Alleges Police Bias

"Keffals, whose real name is Clara Sorrenti, said she was the victim of 'swatting'—the practice of intentionally encouraging law enforcement to harshly respond to a person by filing false reports about them—when she was arrested by police in London, Ontario, on the morning of August 5. The arrested happened after London City Hall was sent multiple fake emails alleging that she had killed her own mother, was in possession of an illegal gun and was planning to travel to City Hall to 'shoot every cisgender person.' "

"Sorrenti said that police booked her under her deadname and repeatedly used the name to refer to her during interrogation, despite her having changed her name legally more than 10 years earlier."

"Sorrenti said that she remains the subject of a police investigation and has not yet been given back her electronic devices and important items belonging to her fiancé, even though police found her mother 'alive and well' and discovered no weapons in Sorrenti's home. The items may not be returned for months due to pending forensic analysis."

GasBandit

Staff member
Just in case you think the police's handling of informants is any better than it used to be, it's not.

They sent a woman wearing a wire to buy drugs from a crackhouse. But the wire was just a recorder, not a transmitter. So they stood around down the block while the informant was raped.

And then they didn't drop any of the charges against her that they probably used to coerce her into cooperating.

It seems pretty obvious to me the guy was going through some sort of psychotic episode and just needed to stay in his car as a safety blanket sort of thing. He even offered to follow the police to the station after they pushed his car out of the place he was stuck because he would feel safer there then the location they were at. It could even be that something bad happened, like maybe he got into a fight with someone and was worried the person was nearby and would shoot him. Either way, the cops showed once again that it isn't about actually helping people.

They had so many options that wouldn't have ended in his death, like just pushing his car for him or calling a tow truck that could just hitch him out, but they kept trying to force him out of the car because they can't handle interactions where they don't have 100% control of the people involved. They didn't like that he was trying to keep the interactions on his terms, rather then their terms.

Oh, jesus. When the Tampa mayor (who was chief of police when this was started) was asked about records showing that this disproportionately targeted Black residents she replied "Criminality is not a protected class".

Man, that won't ever happen to me because I'm not black and all ,but...What a complete flagrant abuse of the right to privacy. Also, punishing whole families of innocents over one person's infractions is completely unjust. That a lot of these are based on BS charges that are dropped is of course just the icing on the shit cake. And I'd even say that getting evicted is an additional, secondary punishment - which would also be illegal.
While I don't particularly care for the sob story style of the article (that a boy breaking into cars "only" made off with $5 in loot doesn't mean he deserves more sympathy than one who made off with $2000, the damages caused to multiple cars is likely to be far higher than that $5 - which doesn't suddenly mean I think the boy deserves hard labor, eviction or a death sentence! It's just irrelevant and another show of how modern media always want to make a victim as sympathetic as possible...This law/system would be almost just as vile if all people who got evicted had actually committed serious crimes), I can most definitely understand the ACLU fighting this, and I cannot comprehend how anyone might think this might be or even should be legal. It's despicable.

It really feels like it's impossible to go a day these days without some terrible story about cops abusing power.

One was a couple that was beaten, shot with a riot gun, and tased because they got angry about being evicted from a hotel. The cops felt they were packing too slow and once the man cussed at the cop, they got freaking slammed by like 10 cops. They ended up getting paid $400,000 from the city.

The second was two cops on the way to a domestic disturbance issue. They were supposed to look for this white guy harassing his ex, but instead saw this black guy taking out his trash and immediately went over to handcuff him. The guy put up a fight because he didn't know what was going on, and the cops couldn't answer him because one of the cops even admitted "I don't know who I'm looking for yet".

If I find the articles I will post them later, they were just on my mind but I don't have a computer in front of me right now.

Neither story is particularly recent.

Thanks. I knew they were not recent, but it seems like the body cam footage only just got released to the public recently, which is why they are getting more interest now.

...the bill’s sponsor, Republican Rep. John Kavanagh, said Friday that he has been unable to find an outside group to defend the law, which was challenged by news media organizations and the American Civil Liberties Union. The groups will now ask that the law, which was set to take effect next week, be permanently blocked. Kavanagh and the Legislature were warned repeatedly by the ACLU and the National Press Photographers Association that the proposal would violate the First Amendment, but it passed anyway with only Republican support.
Good.

--Patrick

"they were warned multiple times that this violated the first amendment but they went ahead anyway", ah yes, see, they should've said it violated the second amendment, that would've instantly convinced the Republicans. All the other numbers are just made up crap, after all

This is fucking insane.
This is the county where I grew up. I always heard from friends and family that stayed in the area that the sheriffs there were assholes, but this is taking it to a whole new level.

And the best part is that the sheriff’s office is trying to spin this as “Look at how good we are! We’re cleaning house and removing unfit officers!” Never mind that these are the same people who allowed those unfit officers to stay the whole time…

Yeah, that apple's rotten to the core. That shit needs to be cleared and restarted from scratch.

Let me TELL you how lax those psyche exams are, at least up here. The questions that you are bombarded with are as black and white as Is it cool to talk about raping a coworker with your friends? A) No B) No C) The Answer is No D) I'm a piece of shit.

If you don't pass the fucking thing, your moral compass is that of a Catholic bishop.

And the best part is that the sheriff’s office is trying to spin this as “Look at how good we are! We’re cleaning house and removing unfit officers!”
Are they even cleaning house? The article I read, it sounded like these guys were being put on paid leave until they can pass the psyche exam.