The Video Game Kickstarter Thread of the Future of Passing the Risk to the Consumer

ZeBoyd, makers of fun retro RPGs such as Breath of Death 7, Cthulhu Saves the World and the Penny Arcade episodes 3 and 4 have a Kickstarter for a new sci-fi RPG in the vein of Phantasy Star. I'm in, I like their games.

Terrific; now I don't feel inclined to buy any of the Megaman stuff on 3DS, but I think I'll get this when it comes out.
This is basically my take, unless they do a Megaman X finale or something. Half the reason why I wanted more Megaman games is so I could get a definite finale for each series. Was Megaman defeated by Wily and that's why he's not running around? Did he kill Wily, go crazy, and then Dr. Light shut him down? Is part of Megaman in X? How about how the X series ends? Does Axel usher in the end of the Reploids like they hinted at? Or how about getting Megaman Volnutt off the fucking moon? OH WAIT, THEY CANCELLED THAT LAST ONE.

In other news, Shantae: Half-Genie Hero has also been successfully funded, but has 35 hours left if you want to get a donation in. Donate if you want the exclusive costumes (One for Shantae, one for Risky Boots, and a special weapon).

River City Ransom: Underground (an officially licensed sequel to River City Ransom) is about 40 grand short but with 6 days to go.

I dunno, the X series really ends with 5, which effectively ends the X series and leads to Zero. Then they wrecked it.

ZeBoyd, makers of fun retro RPGs such as Breath of Death 7, Cthulhu Saves the World and the Penny Arcade episodes 3 and 4 have a Kickstarter for a new sci-fi RPG in the vein of Phantasy Star. I'm in, I like their games.

BLA BLA BLA... Chrono Trigger.... BLA BLA BLA...

*as I'm watching actual gameplay in the background*

....and backed.

A Night in the Woods by Infinite Fall

A game about dropping out of college and returning home to your dying coal town, only to realize the people from your old life have grown apart. Throw in paranormal powers and a secret that threatens everyone and you have a real winner. Also, you're a cat.

Seeing as how this is being made by the guy behind Aquaria (look it up on Steam, it's AMAZING). I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
I helped kickstart 3 projects at about the same time two years ago. I've received the reward from one of them so far, and that one was delayed by 6 months because the artist nearly severed his writing thumb. At least that one kept constant contact so I knew what was up.

Both the other two significantly changed the scope after the project, one because the kickstarter went way over budget, one because they just barely met their kickstarter budget but hadn't counted on just barely meeting their kickstarter budget. I've received nothing from either aside from excuses as to why their original plans are 18 months behind.

Which two might I ask? I've backed quite a few, and while some are kind of in a bunk state (Double Fine), the others (Torment, Wasteland 2 and Destiny) seem to rolling along fine.

Which two might I ask? I've backed quite a few, and while some are kind of in a bunk state (Double Fine), the others (Torment, Wasteland 2 and Destiny) seem to rolling along fine.
Double Fine and Hero-U. Hero-U just barely got the funding they asked for, and then the original development staff up and left immediately, so they've been stuck in a much slower process of development.

I helped kickstart 3 projects at about the same time two years ago. I've received the reward from one of them so far, and that one was delayed by 6 months because the artist nearly severed his writing thumb. At least that one kept constant contact so I knew what was up.

Both the other two significantly changed the scope after the project, one because the kickstarter went way over budget, one because they just barely met their kickstarter budget but hadn't counted on just barely meeting their kickstarter budget. I've received nothing from either aside from excuses as to why their original plans are 18 months behind.
That seems a bit uncharitable to the Double Fine kickstarter, like Rich they've kept in constant contact and put out regular, detailed updates about what's going on, progress made, ect. Yes they are behind schedule, but you gave Rich a bit of a pass for his communication, why not Double Fine as well?

That seems a bit uncharitable to the Double Fine kickstarter, like Rich they've kept in constant contact and put out regular, detailed updates about what's going on, progress made, ect. Yes they are behind schedule, but you gave Rich a bit of a pass for his communication, why not Double Fine as well?
I gave Rich more of a pass because he was physically incapable of doing any writing/drawing for 6 months. DF took forever to update after the KS was completed because of the "slacker backer" factor, and just now are finally starting to show something of a game. It's getting better, but there was a long morass of nothing but promises and changes before they finally settled down and started doing something productive with all the backer money.

I gave Rich more of a pass because he was physically incapable of doing any writing/drawing for 6 months. DF took forever to update after the KS was completed because of the "slacker backer" factor, and just now are finally starting to show something of a game. It's getting better, but there was a long morass of nothing but promises and changes before they finally settled down and started doing something productive with all the backer money.
The thing is, games take a fair bit of time to develop before you have much of anything to really show off, especially since they didn't have the idea of the game all set prior to the kickstarter, so they had to do a lot of design work before they can start developing in earnest. They've been being productive and keeping us informed since mid-last year at least, so I can't see how you can say that it's only just now starting to show something. I mean, they're in the playtest and recording voice-over stage now, so they're more end-stage than beginning stage now.

That's the risk of Kickstarter. I've backed 16 projects.

I always try to abide with the following three rules :

1. Do you have a gameplay video? Yes? Ok. No? Sorry bub.

2. What is the planned release date? Q2 2014? Ok. "2015-ish". No thanks.

3. Are they whoring themselves out on the stretch goals? No thanks. A bit? OK. As a backer you don't win with stretch goals unless they plan to double their team.

My projects :

RimWorld - Just finished KS. Very excited. Great gameplay already available.
Contagion - Already in Beta, already playing it. Solid.
Cosmic Star Heroine - Just finished KS. Not usually my sort of game but reminds me of old school RPG goodness.
Liege - Updates every month.
*Double Fine's MASSIVE CHALICE - Slight regret on backing this. Great premise. Weak on the updates. News on their FUBAR on their other project scares me.
Stonehearth - Updates every month. WANT.
Divinity: Original Sin - Updates every month. WANT.
Torment: Tides of Numenera - Updates every month. Very early in Dev.
ROAM - Updates every week.
Sui Generis - Updates every 2 months. Weak. Not regretting it but hoping for solid news soon.
Sir, You Are Being Hunted - In Beta. SOLID AS FUCK.
Forsaken Fortress - In Alpha v1, was really weak. Working on it.
FORCED - Released. Solid.
Timber and Stone - Released. Solid.
Project Eternity - Updates every month. A few months away... WANT.
*Castle Story - FUBAR. They failed hard. Alpha is useless with bad UI. Regret.

So out of 16, 1 was a solid fail, the other is a different type of regret.

All in alll, be careful before you back.

There were others I wanted to back but wasn't impressed enough to do so.[DOUBLEPOST=1384471466,1384471326][/DOUBLEPOST]Confederate Express may join this list soon.

Only KS that I've been part of that's failed is Haunts and that's because their lead programmer found a job where he could make more money and ran off. Haven't had an update since March. My only KS an ongoing problem is one from a close friend and I know exactly why everything is going so slowly, so no harm there.

I've backed a few kickstarters but have no idea how to claim the finished items or the extras I should get for my pledge status.

This kinda worries me, I should probably look into that.

I've backed a few kickstarters but have no idea how to claim the finished items or the extras I should get for my pledge status.

This kinda worries me, I should probably look into that.
That might be a good idea...

Generally they send out a survey so you can tell them where to send the physical stuff or your email for digital things.

I've backed many projects on KS, although they were all physical games rather than video games, and overall it's been satisfying. One was a scam and my money is gone, two are way behind and being run by lazy twits, and the rest (20+) have been good so far. So KS is definitely a risk, but it's manageable.

Video games might be worse than other types of projects, though.

...but a good portion of the games you backed didn't have those.
What's a good portion to you?

Previously, that point was more of a "preference", now unless the company really sells their point, it's now a dealbreaker.

RimWorld - Gameplay vid.
Contagion - Gameplay vid.
Cosmic Star Heroine - Early Gameplay vid.
Liege - Early Gameplay vid.
*Double Fine's MASSIVE CHALICE - RISK
Stonehearth - Gameplay vid.
Divinity: Original Sin - Gameplay vid..
Torment: Tides of Numenera - RISK (but not really)
ROAM - Early Gameplay vid.
Sui Generis - Early Gameplay vid.
Sir, You Are Being Hunted - Gameplay vid.
Forsaken Fortress - Early Gameplay vid.
FORCED - Gameplay vid.
Timber and Stone - Gameplay vid.
Project Eternity - RISK (but not really)
*Castle Story - Early Gameplay vid.

Most have some sort of gameplay vid.

I've backed 12 projects in total. Some of them I honestly regret, but not many. This got longer than I planned, so I'll spoiler it.

Order of the Stick - Already got my books, which was the purpose of the project, so I'm happy. There are some backers that are pissed Rich hasn't finished all the extra comics that he promised, but I honestly don't care about the ETA on those. They weren't specifically a backer reward, but an extra bonus he provided for hitting every new goal. To expect them is ridiculous. NO REGRETS.

Double Fine Adventure - They really went over-budget with this one. The problem started when they got a lot more money than they intended or expected. Everything went downhill from there. I can see why people are mad they missed the October 2012 delivery date, but that was using the originally expected goal, which was far exceeded. That said, I'm absolutely sure the final project will be worth the wait. SOME REGRET, which will dispel when it comes out.

The Image Revolution - A few years ago, I pirated a really great documentary about Grant Morrison. I said as much on the Bleeding Cool message boards and one of the producers private messaged me, giving me hell for pirating. I actually stood and took the shots, promising to back this project. Still waiting for the finished project a year later. NO REGRET, as the last documentary was great.

Jane Jensen's Kickstarter - Some regret, but then, I haven't been playing the betas of Moebius because I want to wait until it's all done. But I was really pleased to hear about the Gabriel Knight remake, which I'll be getting thanks to my backer level.

SpaceVenture - Some regret, as this project nearly didn't make it until the very end. Its alpha didn't fill me with much hope in terms of quality.
Shadowgate - No regrets. This one's coming along and I can't wait.
Pro-Wrestling X - It failed to make its goal and I'm glad. The guy's reputation and lack of solid work behind this are horrendous.
Lady Sabre (comic) - Backed purely for the creative team: Greg Rucka & Rick Burchett. It's nearly done, just in time for the promised delivery date. NO REGRETS.
Horizon's End (comic) - Supporting a friend of mine and sadly, they didn't even come close to making their goal. I didn't like its chances, honestly.
Headlocked (comic) - Updates have been scarce since this was funded, which doesn't fill me with a lot of hope. Some regret.
Neverending Nightmare - Getting close to its alpha, so no regrets. They might actually beat their promised delivery of August 2014.
River City Ransom: Underground - Kind of regret, as there hasn't been much word on this so far. We'll see. I honestly forgot I backed this one.

Are there any that you guys regret not backing? The Mighty No. 9 comes to mind for me. I sort of regret not backing Massive Chalice, but it just wasn't the kind of game I was interested in, regardless of how cool its concept was. I regretted backing the Ouya at the time but don't know.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be too upset over River City Ransom: Underground. Mighty No. 9 still hasn't gotten it's website up or issued people with their Mighty No.'s for the website, despite this being the first goal and that's from a team full of veterans of the industry.

My regrets? Not having enough for Shantae or even half of the new Old World of Darkness books that are getting KSed. I'm getting Vampire (and it's going to be a massive book) but I wish I had gotten Werewolf or had money for Demon. I WILL get Changeling if at all possible though.

I get annoyed when KS projects go WAY over their ceiling. Mostly because they hit STUPID stretch goals (in general) and projects I want to play will need MORE time to be completed.

I get annoyed when KS projects go WAY over their ceiling. Mostly because they hit STUPID stretch goals (in general) and projects I want to play will need MORE time to be completed.
I think that's one of the things they are addressing in Night. They are aware of how often that happens so that extra 100k is for unexpected expenses. They aren't expanding the scope of the game more than they already have.