The Video Game Kickstarter Thread of the Future of Passing the Risk to the Consumer

I just watched that - it looks a lot like M:tG, which may or may not be a plus. Going to watch this for a bit before deciding whether to back it.

I just watched that - it looks a lot like M:tG, which may or may not be a plus. Going to watch this for a bit before deciding whether to back it.
It does seem very similar to Magic. My biggest issue with tcg's though is that I can never find anyone around to actually play the game. This should help with that, and the purely digital medium allows for some interesting concepts.

And no CrimsonSoul , I've never played Sanctum.

It does seem very similar to Magic. My biggest issue with tcg's though is that I can never find anyone around to actually play the game. This should help with that, and the purely digital medium allows for some interesting concepts..
I'm looking at it as someone who plays Magic Online and drafts pretty consistently there - if the value is better and it's comparably fun, I'll get in on this. If it turns into a mediocre clone of the game that's using MMO elements as a crutch, I'll end up passing. It's intriguing either way though.

Dennis Dyack needs means of defrauding more money.
This is basically the entire issue. The guy in charge is a total scumbag, unwilling to admit his felonious activities, even after a court made them public record. Not only did he steal assets from Epic Games (after he accused them of withholding Unreal Engine updates and files), he diverted money and resources away from X-Men: Destiny to make something for Eternal Darkness 2 to ship around to studios, which lead to X-Men: Destiny being a terrible title. Combine this with the fact that they can't make any money off of Too Human anymore (a court ordered all copies destroyed because of the stolen assets) and it's clear why the company is on the verge of bankruptcy.

Seriously... just let the company die and let someone buy the Eternal Darkness rights. Even if this kickstarter succeeded, he'd still be without the original team and he's under no obligation to actually make the game. Given his record, he's liable to take the money and run.

Not only did he steal assets from Epic Games (after he accused them of withholding Unreal Engine updates and files), he diverted money and resources away from X-Men: Destiny to make something for Eternal Darkness 2 to ship around to studios
This is, sadly, pretty common in the gaming industry.

While the court released the records, was he actually convicted of a felony?

This is, sadly, pretty common in the gaming industry.

While the court released the records, was he actually convicted of a felony?
The money thing was never brought to court because it was only reported by ex-employees when they left for other studios. Whoever holds the X-Men license didn't bother to sue, I guess. The Too Human thing is over and done with though.

Double Fine are back, baby. To be honest, I'm not sure if I'll back this one just yet. I'm not a fan of tactical RPGs, but he name-drops X-Com and Final Fantasy Tactics, which should be enough to garner a lot of interest.

Last edited:
Sadly, I have a real problem funding any game I'm not 100% on board with (game style wise) unless I see some level of gameplay. It does seem interesting, I'll star it. But show me some level of gameplay.

There's a lot of jap crap tactical RPGs I can't stand. You know the ones, the ones where you see retarded 49780743497834 hit combo shit. Jagged Alliance? Odium? Fallout Tactics? YES PLZ.

Sadly, I have a real problem funding any game I'm not 100% on board with (game style wise) unless I see some level of gameplay. It does seem interesting, I'll star it. But show me some level of gameplay.

There's a lot of jap crap tactical RPGs I can't stand. You know the ones, the ones where you see retarded 49780743497834 hit combo shit. Jagged Alliance? Odium? Fallout Tactics? YES PLZ.
Example?

Whatever games that is jap crap and does 3482340892 hit combos. Can't describe it any easier than that.

IMHO, there's simply no intelligence to those games. Nothing beats AP points and planning accordingly, setting up, getting 87% hit chance and rolling the dice.

When enemies are bouncing in the air with shitty animations while Clouds and Seprisoths are moving around quickly with swords 5 times bigger than them to get huge counter hit combos then bimbo in a mini-skirt comes in with a final "meteor" style attack and WOW YOU GOT A 57 HIT COMBOOOOOOOOOOOOO-OOOOOOOOO... 3983498349834 damage. Guy is still alive though....

O.O

Fuck that shit.

Want to make a tactical RPG? No problem. Show me some fucking gameplay or else you ain't getting shit from me.

Yeah, he's talking about the Disgaea series, which is actually pretty good... but only if you like a game that completely unserious 50% of the time. Also, you have to like anime.

It's a completely different sort of game, with more in common with Final Fantasy Tactics and Ogre Battle than anything you'd find on the PC. The actual combat itself can be utterly ridiculous at times, with the aforementioned 1000+ hit combos if you really wanted to break the game over your knee. However, it's much deeper in several other ways. It wouldn't call ether type of tact-rpg better, just different.

Yeah, he's talking about the Disgaea series, which is actually pretty good... but only if you like a game that completely unserious 50% of the time. Also, you have to like anime.
Honestly it was the gameplay and system that made it feel horrible for me. I love Anime and Unserious games. As for it beign like FFT? Slightly. Ogre Battle? Nothing.

Honestly it was the gameplay and system that made it feel horrible for me. I love Anime and Unserious games. As for it beign like FFT? Slightly. Ogre Battle? Nothing.
I meant that in the broadest terms possible: Console turn based strategy game with anime-inspired styling , a multitude of unit types, and less of a focus on cover and strategy. How you build your units and what kind of equipment they have is far more important than strategy and cover in most Japanese style strategy games, while it's generally the reverse in Western style ones.

But I liked FFT and Ogre Battle?

As well as games like Vandal Hearts.

The problem with Disgaea was the grinding and the even worse grinding Item Levels. The characters beyond the main two couldn't make me care less about anyone and the plot was way way too thin. (If we want to go on complaints beyond the gameplay/system)

Your missing the point I think. I'm not saying Disgaea is entirely like those other games, but rather part of the same sub-genre and share some elements.

It's like saying Final Fantasy X and Shadow Hearts are both alike: both are turn based JRPGS with anime inspired character designs and a focus on love stories, but one plays like a traditional JRPG and the other is more reflex based because you need to hit highlighted areas on a ring to do ANYTHING. Both have elements that are the same, but are executed entirely differently.

And let's stop talking about Final Fantasy Tactics for awhile... it reminds me the latest entry is a social web app thing instead of... you know... a game. I can't wait until Square Enix folds up and someone buys their assets to actually make the stuff people want instead of all this over-priced mobile crap.

And let's stop talking about Final Fantasy Tactics for awhile... it reminds me the latest entry is a social web app thing instead of... you know... a game. I can't wait until Square Enix folds up and someone buys their assets to actually make the stuff people want instead of all this over-priced mobile crap.
Thiiiiis.

Also, Ash, you keep saying turn-based strategy games. Tactical RPGs and turn-based strategy games are two different genres. Turn-based strategy games would refer to games like Advance Wars, as it's a turn-based version of real-time strategy games a la Starcraft, Dawn of War, etc., whereas tactical RPGs refer to Ogre Battle, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc.

As well as games like Vandal Hearts.
I forgot about Vandal Hearts! I played the shit out of the first one way too many times before even learning about the Vandal class. I heard the second one was good too.

Thiiiiis.

Also, Ash, you keep saying turn-based strategy games. Tactical RPGs and turn-based strategy games are two different genres. Turn-based strategy games would refer to games like Advance Wars, as it's a turn-based version of real-time strategy games a la Starcraft, Dawn of War, etc., whereas tactical RPGs refer to Ogre Battle, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc.
Yeah, yeah. I realize that now looking over the posts.