The Video Game Kickstarter Thread of the Future of Passing the Risk to the Consumer

Makes me think of legos. When I saw you could barely get two rooms for $65 I couldn't help but think that it'd would always be too few. Granted, the game rules can make a two room game interesting (assuming it's a good game) but I'd always wonder what it would be like to have had $500 to spend willy nilly on a game.

Why not just make your own with foam and paint? Or resin cast your own pieces? Both would be much cheaper than this. These look awesome but they cost WAY too much.

Good to hear. Now I'm waiting for Shroud of the Avatar to hit 1.5 mill. If it does, Spoony of the Spoony Experiment gets to interview/roast/humiliate Richard Garriott again, as Garriott promises to do a video with him.

Considering how great Spoony's Ultima series was (Garriott LOVES it), this could only lead to great things.

Hmm. The Reaper miniatures I'm still sad I was going back-and)forth so long that I finally missed out, that deal was beyond amazing.
These tiles though....First off, all stretch goals only for 2+ sets? Bah I say, bah! Also, they really aren't all that interesting price-wise. I'll keep an eye on it, maybe it'll become awesome with enough stretch goals to come (see: Reaper), but for now, I really can't justify that spending. Comparatively, these are way more expensive...Though the painted ones look good and the extra cost is on the low end.

As it stands right now, with what I'm planning on backing, I'd get 159 pieces for roughly $1.07 per piece if I lived in the States. I don't and would have to pay the extra for shipping, bumping the total up to $1.70. I'm still on the fence as to whether I will actually back or not but I am leaning towards doing so.

I'm not saying it's going to be for everyone but when I was DM'ing awhile back, I put WAY too much time into making maps and dungeons look visually appealing and felt if I didn't, I was doing a disservice to the players. However, this took much more time than I'd like and ended up being one of the, many, reasons the campaign petered out. I feel like these would help ease that burden slightly.

It's definitely not as cost effective as the reaper minis, which I also backed, but, for me, I feel like they would be worth it. I wish there were small magnets embedded into the sides to make them stick into each other.

Ok, super bad-ass, they just announced that Manami Matsumae, the original composer for Mega Man and other Capcom games, will be doing music for Shovel Knight.

That's rad. From what I've read of people who tried it at PAX, it's apparently super fun. All you folks who are stoked for a relatively lazy remake of Duck Tales should seriously give this a look.

Good to hear. Now I'm waiting for Shroud of the Avatar to hit 1.5 mill. If it does, Spoony of the Spoony Experiment gets to interview/roast/humiliate Richard Garriott again, as Garriott promises to do a video with him.

Considering how great Spoony's Ultima series was (Garriott LOVES it), this could only lead to great things.
... and it's hit over 1.5 (Kickstarter doesn't count the direct donations on the Shroud site). We're getting the roast!

So, these guys may be the first big Kickstarter cautionary tale videogame wise. There's been some major backlash over the devs complete neutering of the DRM free version of the game (what was promised) and some stretch goal features being cut from the game and being turned into DLC.

So, these guys may be the first big Kickstarter cautionary tale videogame wise. There's been some major backlash over the devs complete neutering of the DRM free version of the game (what was promised) and some stretch goal features being cut from the game and being turned into DLC.
It was bound to happen eventually. One of these groups was going to get to thinking they're more important than the others (or their paying backers).

Can you elaborate?