[TV] The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: The Sequel!

This will be the third time we've tried to give Steven Universe its own thread, only for it to be pulled back to a conglomerate thread. We'll see if it sticks this time.

I mean, I don't care if you talk about it here, there's not really any animated stuff I'm watching right now anyway save for Star Wars Rebels, and I think that's still on a break.

I mean, I don't care if you talk about it here, there's not really any animated stuff I'm watching right now anyway save for Star Wars Rebels, and I think that's still on a break.
I don't care either. When I said I'd be back in four weeks, I wasn't being snarky, I was recognizing that the show has a large following that I'm not a part of, and when its in swing it dominates everything else. I fully intended to just ignore the thread. But then a Steven Universe thread popped up, so I had to look back in here again.

And then I got amused by the idea of Steven Universe being forced into segregation.

And that was season 2 of "Transformers: Robot's in Disguise"...I think. Really, 13 episodes?! BEAST HUNTERS WAS LESS RUSHED!

Pros:

Lots of good stand-alone episodes.

Imaginative con designs.

An actual reason for repaints.

RATCHET AND SOUNDWAVE RETURN!

And finally:
Optimus going to Cybertron to "Inspect the new regime". Which I hope leads to it being an evil conspiracy that sent a virus to ALL autobots making it so they can't turn their hands into guns.

Cons:

They really spam mini-cons in this.

Splitting up the teams was just...just a REALLY obvious excuse for not having Peter Cullen in it as much.

You remember the end of Prime-
where Ratchet stayed on Earth to help out and what not? Yeah, THAT'S NOT WHY HE'S STILL HERE! Instead he was...basically banished?! WHAT?! And apparently brought knowledge that the dumb asses of Cybertron blame Optimus for Cybertron's destruction...yeah they are lead by Jhiaxis aren't they?

The new bad guys...do not build up to much
, hell Megatronus might've been owned by a Plot armor, but he was THIS close to killing both Earth and Cyberton in one shot. The new guys act all suave and resourceful, but STILL get tricked by Starscr-I MEAN Steeljaw!

Point is they were built up as having a BIG plan, but got dispatched as easy as any con.

New CN pilots:

Created by Regular Show's Minty Lewis, the show follows a former teacher alpaca who after her hair bun got so tight her brain reverted to that of a teenager's. Also her best friend is a peanute named Peanette. As for the short itself...feels a looooooooooooooooot like Regular Show, WHICH makes sense given Minty worked on it, but still.

Its a cartoon about two young adults trying to make it in the big city despite their childish nature...also Onion is played by Richard Aoyade a.k.a. Moss from "The IT Crowd", and the onion's hair looks like Richard's from IT Crowd-SO-there's that little fun to it. Animation leaves a lot to be desired, but I really liked this short and see a LOT of potential if it becomes a series.

Just finished season 5 of Bob's Burgers. The finale was really sweet between Bob and Louise.

On a nitpick note, I feel like sometimes the show's writers really show their age. Modern technology exists in this world, but the primary technology used seems stuck in the 90s. But it doesn't take place in the 90s, because there are references to recent stuff along with older stuff. Several times an episode's problem could be quickly solved if the full extent of the internet was used. So it comes off as by writers who are aware that the internet exists and is a thing people use, but not what can be done with it ... you know, like old people :p.

Which is fine because otherwise there wouldn't be a story in those episodes. Maybe Bob's Burgers exists in some kind of time mash-up anachronistic world like Pulp Fiction.

I just assumed that Bob's family is poor enough that they can't afford cell phones/internet/etc. The restaurant's business is basically Teddy.
I remember that they explicitly said in one episode that they have one cell phone for the family, and it was a flip phone.

I remember that they explicitly said in one episode that they have one cell phone for the family, and it was a flip phone.
Except we've seen Bob get on a phone, and then Tina elsewhere get on a phone.

Also, they do have the internet and a computer that hooks up to it. We've seen their laptop in several episodes. They go online for things when the plot necessitates, and then forget the internet when the plot needs the internet to not be an option.

As their restaurant slowly grows in terms of business, so do their home amenities!
Is Bob's restaurant the crux of this town's economy? Because the inconsistencies don't just affect the Belcher family. This isn't with me going over the series with a fine comb or watching a nitpicky video; just stuff I noticed this past season that made me realize how one's age can sometimes affect how they view the operation of the world. It has zero impact on the quality of the show, just an odd element.

Is Bob's restaurant the crux of this town's economy?
In an odd way I think it is. For one, Mr.Fischoeder would CLEARLY never close down the restaurant, he sees Bob as a weird mix of friend/surrogate father figure by sheer coincidence of his arm-hair matching his dad's. So there's a high chance the Belcher family's...bizarre morality effects Mr.Fischoeder in some weird way, which I can buy.

I was really impressed with his work on DuckTales Remastered, not often someone his age is even willing to come back to an old role like that.

The problem with the internet, and cell phones, in part, is that they "solve" a LOT of standard story telling tropes and shortcuts. You can see the same in RL TV shows, especially comedies. So much comedy comes from miscommunications and impossibility to check and double check, etc.
Younger/modern writers may be able to work around them, but most writers still tend to ignore or somehow cancel out modern communication systems

The problem with the internet, and cell phones, in part, is that they "solve" a LOT of standard story telling tropes and shortcuts. You can see the same in RL TV shows, especially comedies. So much comedy comes from miscommunications and impossibility to check and double check, etc.
Younger/modern writers may be able to work around them, but most writers still tend to ignore or somehow cancel out modern communication systems
You can cancel out a cellphone's effect on a story in a few simple words: "I can't get any bars."

You can cancel out a cellphone's effect on a story in a few simple words: "I can't get any bars."
Sure, and like I said, they often do...but it's a clutch, a stretch in many cases, and a bit of a cop-out. It's OK for, say, the Blair Witch Project out in a dark forest. It's, um, not really very likely in most of Europe or non-rural USA.

Sure, and like I said, they often do...but it's a clutch, a stretch in many cases, and a bit of a cop-out. It's OK for, say, the Blair Witch Project out in a dark forest. It's, um, not really very likely in most of Europe or non-rural USA.
They other way to disarm it is "I forgot to charge my phone" or "I forgot to pay my bill" or "I ran out of minutes." Really, it's not too hard to completely nullify the phone.

Fortunately for writers, rural USA is patchwork sections of most states.

But yeah, I know it's to make a story happen, I just thought it was funny that it tends to be a symptom of older writers. More noticeable is when older writers do YA books set in present time, but they haven't been to high school in 35 years and have no idea how much has changed.

DAMN-Bob's Burgers had one hell of a finale, I never though a story about being glued to a toilet could be treated so seriously(in terms of comedy of course).