[TV] The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: The Sequel!

Voltron: Legendary Defender

Given that Voltron was gone for so long, what if Earth decided that there needed to be a Voltron? Even if it's not made out of lions but ordinary vehicles?

Ducktales: The Last Flight Crash of the Sunchaser

Jesus fucking christ, this episode is depressing as hell. Still one of the best so far though.

Marvel Rising: Initiation

This is sort of weird... they've cut what feels like a single episode up into six 4-minute chunks. Is this a promotional thing? Anyway, the show itself is fine and I appreciate Daisy/Quake getting some limelight post Shield.

GasBandit

Staff member
Venture Brothers, Season 7 episode 2 -
Bra fuckin vo. This show keeps delivering the hits one after another. It's marvelous. I am loving how much they manage to pack in a single 23 minute episode. The guys over at Overlord could learn a thing or two from Jackson Publick.

... though, on the other hand... that might mean three years between seasons... ermm... never mind.

Venture Brothers, Season 7 episode 2 -
Bra fuckin vo. This show keeps delivering the hits one after another. It's marvelous. I am loving how much they manage to pack in a single 23 minute episode. The guys over at Overlord could learn a thing or two from Jackson Publick.

... though, on the other hand... that might mean three years between seasons... ermm... never mind.
I havent thought to watch Overlord, is it worth finding and watching?

GasBandit

Staff member
I havent thought to watch Overlord, is it worth finding and watching?
It is, by far, my favorite of the "stuck in a video game world" subgenre. It drags a little bit in season 2, but then finds its stride again. Now the only problem with it is every week in season 3 every episode feels like it's just really getting to the meaty part when it's the end of the episode >_< That problem would go away if you could binge them all at once, but as it is an ongoing series, we must suffer.

GasBandit

Staff member
To Be Continued ->

--Patrick
It's not even a cliffhanger like Jojo did... it's more like 20 minutes of moodsetting, then three minutes of buildup, and then "Alright, we're ready to finally do the thing. LET'S DO IT!" closing credits. That's fine evey once in a while, but it happens so often that it becomes agonizing. But like I said, it wouldn't be as big a deal if I were able to binge multiple episodes at once instead of having to wait another week for the payoff. This is why I like things like netflix, releasing the entire season all at once to watch at your own pace, instead of broadcast tv, feeding you drips and drabs at times of their choosing.

Ducktales: The Shadow War!

Two-part season finale. Pretty damn good, with lots of action. Be sure to watch both parts!

Neat little thing: when they focus on the moon and wreckage of the Spear of Selene, they start playing a remixed Moon Theme from the NES title. They really do know they have a side audience and I appreciate that.

figmentPez

Staff member
Disenchanted, on the other hand, is about the biggest waste of time I've come across in recent years.
Disenchantment is really bland. Futurama felt like it was written by people who had watched and read a lot of science fiction. Disenchantment feels like it was written by people who heard about Grimm's Fairy Tales at some point in the past, went to a Renaissance Fair, and saw the trailers for Lord of the Rings. The music sucks, the characters are one-dimenstional, the pacing is stilted, and the jokes are mostly recycled. It's like they only made an effort with the background art.

I was really thrown off by some of the escape sequences where Matt Barry's character would be onscreen just after them and say nothing. It felt like a MASSIVE waste of a dude with one of the funniest voices on Earth.

I've only watched the first two and felt the second episode was really, really bland compared to the first. Every moment spent in Elfwood was gold and I want more Elfwood.

I was really thrown off by some of the escape sequences where Matt Barry's character would be onscreen just after them and say nothing. It felt like a MASSIVE waste of a dude with one of the funniest voices on Earth.

I've only watched the first two and felt the second episode was really, really bland compared to the first. Every moment spent in Elfwood was gold and I want more Elfwood.
I agree with all of these (plus I've only watched the first few episodes). I wish they'd hire Alex Hirsch to scriptdoctor this show. I feel like his humor and timing could really punch it up. Although, one of my first thoughs during the pilot was, "Ohhhhh...so this is what happened to 'The Happy Little Elves' they always talked about on The Simpsons".

Meanwhile, the first season of Ducktales has really hit it out of the park. I watched both the penultimate episode and the finale today, and ohhh. So. Good.

I agree with all of these (plus I've only watched the first few episodes). I wish they'd hire Alex Hirsch to scriptdoctor this show. I feel like his humor and timing could really punch it up. Although, one of my first thoughs during the pilot was, "Ohhhhh...so this is what happened to 'The Happy Little Elves' they always talked about on The Simpsons".

Meanwhile, the first season of Ducktales has really hit it out of the park. I watched both the penultimate episode and the finale today, and ohhh. So. Good.
Hirsch is still busy developing a series for FOX, as well as being... mysterious about another upcoming Gravity Falls project.

Hirsch is still busy developing a series for FOX, as well as being... mysterious about another upcoming Gravity Falls project.
True, but even so, the fantasy-based humor seems like a good fit for him. Or maybe some of the Gravity Falls writing staff. I didn't think he'd really be able do it, but, in theory, if he were script doctoring he (usually) wouldn't have to work from scratch.

Disenchantment is the beige of the animation world. There's no true humor, no real drama, no believable conflict, and no particularly likable characters. It's just there.

GasBandit

Staff member
Disenchantment is the beige of the animation world. There's no true humor, no real drama, no believable conflict, and no particularly likable characters. It's just there.
"Poor bland, boring Jessica. If she were a spice, she'd be flour."

GasBandit

Staff member
Venture Bros. Season 7 Episode 3

OH GOD IT STILL STAYS GOOD

All the loose ends from previous seasons are coming together and making one EPIC YARN

So...many....theories...basically....CANON!

BACK to Disenchantment, I can agree that it wasn't as impressive as it could be, but I feel season 2 could easily jazz things up.

Venture Bros. Season 7 Episode 3

OH GOD IT STILL STAYS GOOD

All the loose ends from previous seasons are coming together and making one EPIC YARN
I really like the confirmation that Jonas, despite being REALLY GOOD at his job, was just... the worst fucking human being alive. Like, Rusty's done some awful shit right? Heart of an Orphan in the joycan. Venturestein (though he'd probably argue he came out ahead). The Rayshield incident. Sleeping with an underage girl and siring a child in Dermot (who hasn't shown up for two seasons? Bring him back for a bit!). But Jesus fucking Christ, Rusty has NOTHING on Jonas.

- Jonas made a sex tape with his alleged best friend.
- He then impregnated said friend's wife. Rusty/Monarch (Malcom?) brothers confirmed.
- He used the sextape to extort all kinds of stuff from said friend. Including said friend's other friend/bodyguard, like he was some kind of fucking slave.
- When said friend died, he brought him back as basically Robocop, which EVERYONE thought was fucked up. Also, why the fuck didn't he look for Malcom? Dr. Venture could have found him in like 10 minutes.
- When said friend is reduced to curiosity and suddenly starts remembering his old life (okay, he tried to kill Rusty and Kano killed him) Dr. Venture throws him in the garbage. His old best friend. He didn't even bury him with his wife or something, they just dumped him in the garbage.
- When Dr. Z fixes him, at no point does Dr. Venture try to save his old friend. He had to have known, it took him all of 5 fucking seconds to deduce it on Gargantua 1.
- When Dr. Venture DOES wake up and realize what is going on, he tries to convince Billy to murder the guy so Dr. Venture could have the cyborg body instead.

Even without all the emotional torture and shit that Jonas made Rusty go through, that's some SUPER VILLAIN shit. Just... holy shit. We can all shit on Rusty for being a flawed person and making some really bad decisions, but at least he turned down Dr. Killinger when he was made aware of how well he'd do in the supervillain game. Jonas was already playing the fucking game, by his own rules.

GasBandit

Staff member
I really like the confirmation that Jonas, despite being REALLY GOOD at his job, was just... the worst fucking human being alive. Like, Rusty's done some awful shit right? Heart of an Orphan in the joycan. Venturestein (though he'd probably argue he came out ahead). The Rayshield incident. Sleeping with an underage girl and siring a child in Dermot (who hasn't shown up for two seasons? Bring him back for a bit!). But Jesus fucking Christ, Rusty has NOTHING on Jonas.

- Jonas made a sex tape with his alleged best friend.
- He then impregnated said friend's wife. Rusty/Monarch (Malcom?) brothers confirmed.
- He used the sextape to extort all kinds of stuff from said friend. Including said friend's other friend/bodyguard, like he was some kind of fucking slave.
- When said friend died, he brought him back as basically Robocop, which EVERYONE thought was fucked up. Also, why the fuck didn't he look for Malcom? Dr. Venture could have found him in like 10 minutes.
- When said friend is reduced to curiosity and suddenly starts remembering his old life (okay, he tried to kill Rusty and Kano killed him) Dr. Venture throws him in the garbage. His old best friend. He didn't even bury him with his wife or something, they just dumped him in the garbage.
- When Dr. Z fixes him, at no point does Dr. Venture try to save his old friend. He had to have known, it took him all of 5 fucking seconds to deduce it on Gargantua 1.
- When Dr. Venture DOES wake up and realize what is going on, he tries to convince Billy to murder the guy so Dr. Venture could have the cyborg body instead.

Even without all the emotional torture and shit that Jonas made Rusty go through, that's some SUPER VILLAIN shit. Just... holy shit. We can all shit on Rusty for being a flawed person and making some really bad decisions, but at least he turned down Dr. Killinger when he was made aware of how well he'd do in the supervillain game. Jonas was already playing the fucking game, by his own rules.
It doesn't surprise me that Jonas Venture Sr. forgot all about Malcolm... hell, many were the times he forgot about RUSTY (Spanakopita!!!) Professor Impossible might be the stretchy guy, but it's clearly JV Sr who got Reed Richards' "forget about everything else besides what I'm focused on at the moment" personality, only without the moral fiber.

figmentPez

Staff member
Marvel Rising: Initiation

This is sort of weird... they've cut what feels like a single episode up into six 4-minute chunks. Is this a promotional thing? Anyway, the show itself is fine and I appreciate Daisy/Quake getting some limelight post Shield.
Seems like a lot of properties are trying that sort of split-episode thing. Like DuckTales did with the slowest deathtrap thing. Anyway, here's all six episodes stitched together:

So, I watched Disenchantment and it's better than people say it is.

It has problems and I can see why people don't like it and I agree with some of them but I was still entertained. Just don't expect something like other shows like Rick and Morty or Venture Bros. Heck, not even other Groening shows. Some of the gags are obvious or even explained by characters. Compared to other animated shows like Star vs., Gravity Falls or Steven Universe the mystery what happened to Bean's mother is not really there. If you are genre savvy enough you can guess pretty fast what happened.

It feels like they used Fry, Leela and Bender as templates for Elfo, Bean and Luci. Groening himself compares Luci with Bender.

Another thing I noticed is how surprisingly tame for a show on Netflix it actually is.

Still, I like it, I'm not disappointed (I never expected much) and I don't consider it a waste of my time.

One last thing: the art and humor reminds me of 90s point and click adventures like Simon the Sorcerer.

Not Simon the Sorcerer 3d (bleurgh) but Simon the Sorcerer 2.

The second/final season of Mighty Magiswords is kinda subtlely depressing, the implied series finale abandoned TWO character arcs in a story that wasn't that impressive. You can tell the writers wanted to do more but CN marketed this series horribly so it never had a chance to really go anywhere.

... but CN marketed this series CONSTANTLY
FTFY

It felt like for a period of time it was the ONLY show they marketed. I couldn't turn on CN without hearing about it. I did see an episode or two of Season 1, and I wasn't really impressed. It didn't feel like it was going anywhere to start with. But it's a shame if they were trying to make something with it, and it just didn't find it's footing fast enough.