[TV] The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: The Sequel!

Trollhunters : Rise of the Titans

Not gonna lie guys, kind of bummed out right now. I loved Trollhunters and 3BELOW. Wizards felt a bit rushed, and the pacing felt breathless at times, but it still built off the others well and left me wanting more of the series. Now that I got the chance to watch Rise of the Titans, I felt like the entire series has been tainted. Don't get me wrong, about 90% of the movie is pretty great, even though they do a bit too much leaning on Jim's insecurities about not having his powers, which was something he already got over in Trollhunters, but I digress, it takes a single mistake to ruin a franchise and the ending of this movie absolutely gutted me. Gonna talk about it now, so beware some huge spoilers.
We spent 6 total seasons; 3 Trollhunters, 2 3BELOW, and 1 Wizards, to get to know these characters and experience their growth and care manifest, all for the movie to throw it away on the standard time loop cope out. It's not even that they "lost" the battle and thus going back was the only option, they actually won, but in the process Toby gets killed, and so Jim decides to use a deus ex machina time stone to go back and redo everything. At first I figured it would loop to the start of the movie, and Jim would use his reclaimed powers to defeat the Arcane Order and thus only stop the events and deaths of the movie, but no, it goes back to Trollhunters E1, the same day he picked up the amulet, in which he instead pushes Toby to pick up the amulet and become the Trollhunter, before going to credits. I can't tell you how much this ending pisses me off. Why?
1) Only Jim remembers anything. Blinky? Aarg? Claire? They were all "reset" by Jim going back in time. All that development? POOF.
2) Most of Jim's arc and growth was coming to terms with being the Trollhunter and whether he was worthy of it, and that it was his destiny. The amulet choosing Toby because Toby stumbles on it first due to Jim's nudge basically means Jim was only lucky to be there first, not destined to wield it.
3) Not only have villains been restricted, characters that saw redemption thrown back into being villains (Strickler, Morgana, etc.), but some characters were even erased, like Aja and Steve's kids, who were a running gag of the movie. All that is gone.
Worst of all, this taints all the past seasons. Nothing matters now. Why go back and watch Jim struggle, or Aja and Krell's issues, or anything, when they are all erased because of Jim going back to the start of the series for a do-over? It's retroactively fucked it up and made all of it pointless.
Sorry if this all is a bit bleak on my part, it just really makes me angry that out of all the things they could have pulled, it was that one.

Trollhunters : Rise of the Titans

Not gonna lie guys, kind of bummed out right now. I loved Trollhunters and 3BELOW. Wizards felt a bit rushed, and the pacing felt breathless at times, but it still built off the others well and left me wanting more of the series. Now that I got the chance to watch Rise of the Titans, I felt like the entire series has been tainted. Don't get me wrong, about 90% of the movie is pretty great, even though they do a bit too much leaning on Jim's insecurities about not having his powers, which was something he already got over in Trollhunters, but I digress, it takes a single mistake to ruin a franchise and the ending of this movie absolutely gutted me. Gonna talk about it now, so beware some huge spoilers.
We spent 6 total seasons; 3 Trollhunters, 2 3BELOW, and 1 Wizards, to get to know these characters and experience their growth and care manifest, all for the movie to throw it away on the standard time loop cope out. It's not even that they "lost" the battle and thus going back was the only option, they actually won, but in the process Toby gets killed, and so Jim decides to use a deus ex machina time stone to go back and redo everything. At first I figured it would loop to the start of the movie, and Jim would use his reclaimed powers to defeat the Arcane Order and thus only stop the events and deaths of the movie, but no, it goes back to Trollhunters E1, the same day he picked up the amulet, in which he instead pushes Toby to pick up the amulet and become the Trollhunter, before going to credits. I can't tell you how much this ending pisses me off. Why?
1) Only Jim remembers anything. Blinky? Aarg? Claire? They were all "reset" by Jim going back in time. All that development? POOF.
2) Most of Jim's arc and growth was coming to terms with being the Trollhunter and whether he was worthy of it, and that it was his destiny. The amulet choosing Toby because Toby stumbles on it first due to Jim's nudge basically means Jim was only lucky to be there first, not destined to wield it.
3) Not only have villains been restricted, characters that saw redemption thrown back into being villains (Strickler, Morgana, etc.), but some characters were even erased, like Aja and Steve's kids, who were a running gag of the movie. All that is gone.
Worst of all, this taints all the past seasons. Nothing matters now. Why go back and watch Jim struggle, or Aja and Krell's issues, or anything, when they are all erased because of Jim going back to the start of the series for a do-over? It's retroactively fucked it up and made all of it pointless.
Sorry if this all is a bit bleak on my part, it just really makes me angry that out of all the things they could have pulled, it was that one.
I choose to believe this film was a fever dream and leave it at that.

Kid Cosmic, Season 2

Kid Cosmic’s first season didn’t end on a cliffhanger so much as it closed out by setting up the building blocks for its next chapter, which Netflix has finally officially announced along with a promise of yet another season. Along with a new teaser for season two, Kid Cosmic creator Craig McCracken also released a statement describing the series as a whole as “one of the most creatively rewarding experiences of my career.” (io9)

ALSO TECHNICALLY RPGworld did have an ending on OK KO.

Crossing swords

Pretty funny but I don't see myself watching too much of it, Robot Chicken's style of humor attached to 21 minute serialized stories doesn't work that well .

With Animation Legends selling off old animation cels I figured I'd eventually get myself a set but I wanted to wait for the perfect one to be released.
I didn't see The Devil and Daniel Mouse until a few years after it aired but it and three other vaguely holiday themed Nelvana specials were something I re-watched quite frequently on VHS when I was a kid. I wasn't aware of it at the time, but The Devil and Daniel Mouse turned out to be the inspiration behind Nelvana's attempt into adult-themed animation Rock and Rule (a film I didn't even know existed until it was released on DVD well into my young adult years). This one felt like the right fit for me as it's obscure and nostalgic.
The packs are all random but I was delighted to see I got a good list of major characters: Daniel, Jan, Weez and even a nice one of the Devil himself. I even got a nice selection of Jan in her various performance outfits.

IMG_1996.jpg
IMG_1997.jpg
IMG_2003.jpg
IMG_2004.jpg
IMG_2007.jpg

With Animation Legends selling off old animation cels I figured I'd eventually get myself a set but I wanted to wait for the perfect one to be released.
Back in 2000, I had the chance to buy this cel from Heavy Metal. It was like $350, and I was making Tech Bubble money, so I could have easily afforded it. I regret not buying it to this day.

1629431711414.png

Star Trek: Lower Decks Season 2

Enjoying it so far... lots of good humor, good character interactions. I kind of feel like some don't like this show for it's willingness to mock the sacred idols of Star Trek, but I feel like if Star Trek itself isn't willing to address it's own shortcomings or ridiculousness or ultra-seriousness then it's never going to grow a franchise. That said, I can already predict which joke is going to get into people's craw this season...

People complained there was not enough He-man in Masters of the universe Revelations. Thankfully for them Netflix has another new show to quench their thirst.

I have a feeling that suddenly Revelations don't look so bad anymore to those people.

GasBandit

Staff member
People complained there was not enough He-man in Masters of the universe Revelations. Thankfully for them Netflix has another new show to quench their thirst.

I have a feeling that suddenly Revelations don't look so bad anymore to those people.
Last time they forgot He-Man... this time they forgot Teela?

They forgot proportions. How the hell are He-Man's tiny legs and waist supporting that upper body?? I know we saw promo art of this He-Man months ago, and I wondered the same thing. Looking at it in motion makes it so much worse.

And honestly that's probably my biggest issue with this. It doesn't look good, but it's aimed at young kids, and they might love it. I am not the audience, so I'm not worrying about it.

Last time they forgot He-Man... this time they forgot Teela?
No she's in it from a news article I read, I think she's the one with the magical shuriken thingies.

MY main qualm outside of He-man's ghastly proportions, is how it looks like Duncan's a kid in this...BLEH. I can semi-handle Robot Orko, but a Man-at-arms that doesn't radiate dad energy is SCARCELY a Man-at-arms at all!

Still hoping it'll be good in its own right, but some of the changes seemed unnecessary.

It... it actually looks to me like the people who made the Spyro CGI cartoon decided to make an edgy new teen series after watching a lot of Legends of Chima.

--Patrick

The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf
An animated movie about the "young" Vesemir, the teacher of Geralt, that gives us a bit of background not only about Vesemir but also of the Witcher of Kaer Moren. I liked it even though the whole revelation of what is going on is nothing really new and a bit of a cliché. But it's a nice treat before the new Witcher season starts later this year.

I feel weird about the "Jodie" spin-off from Daria making Jodie Gen-Z, when the cast from the original show was extremely early Gen-Y. If its good is good, I'm down, but it'll feel like a generation went past in that universe out of NO where.

I feel weird about the "Jodie" spin-off from Daria making Jodie Gen-Z, when the cast from the original show was extremely early Gen-Y. If its good is good, I'm down, but it'll feel like a generation went past in that universe out of NO where.
You know, it took me a moment to realize that when it aired, I guess Daria would be considered Gen-Y/Millennial. I always think of her and the show as the later part of Gen X, but I think that's because she started on Beavis and Butthead, and the writers and showrunners were clearly Gen X themselves.

You know, it took me a moment to realize that when it aired, I guess Daria would be considered Gen-Y/Millennial. I always think of her and the show as the later part of Gen X, but I think that's because she started on Beavis and Butthead, and the writers and showrunners were clearly Gen X themselves.
Same, like a Gen-Y character written by a Gen-X perspective is the best way I looked at the cast, given current nature at the time.

Also just wanna say, everytime I look into the cast of Daria and I KEEP getting worried thoughts about how most of the voice cast of the show haven't went on to other projects.

He-man and the Masters of the Universe (2021)

An OKAY first season, its a VERY genre Toy-show mind you, but the finale was solid and I hope for more in the future.

I really *want* to watch Star Trek: Lower Decks...but I don't want to subscribe to yet one more streaming service for just one show... :(
When the DVD set is available, I'd imagine season 2 will also be available from Amazon as a separate purchase and not just part of the Paramount+ streaming package. This was the pattern season 1 followed.