[TV] The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: The Sequel!

I get the feeling Trey and Matt also stopped caring a long time ago.
Agreed, they got their multi-million dollar paycheck from Viacom and are just going through the motions at this point. Maybe there'll be some legit funny episodes later this season, but I don't care, I ain't wasting my time gambling on humor.

Doing a rewatch of the Proud Family before watching the requel, one: how the FUCK did Oscar Proud keep Proud snacks going for so long despite so many people disliking them. Two: Penny's friends were fake as FUCK. Weirdly good show at times though, even if most of the time its all over the place.

Finished the latest season of Young Justice. Pretty damn good, though I hate how there's a tie-in comic series that is relevant to the plot so some things (like the entire Sergent Mary storyline) don't make a lick of sense when they get brought up. I did laugh when the Eye of Odin, the Phoenix Gate, and the Grimoire Arcanorum showed up in Jason Blood's house.

Last edited:
Finished part 2 of Revelations, and season 2 of CGI He-man, AAAAAAAAAAND yeah Revelations is better by like a country MILE. CGI He-man is still good mind you, but I feel the only time I hear someone praise it just to knock down Revelations, usually followed by "It doesn't follow the true spirit of He-man!" The true spirit of He-man was selling toys to kids, relax.

Finished up watching The Clone Wars a few days ago. It was fantastic. Decided to keep on the Star Wars animated train with Rebels. Just started on the premiere and I'm digging it well enough so far.

What's the consensus on this? I've heard some people say it's not worth watching, but others seem to like it.

Finished up watching The Clone Wars a few days ago. It was fantastic. Decided to keep on the Star Wars animated train with Rebels. Just started on the premiere and I'm digging it well enough so far.

What's the consensus on this? I've heard some people say it's not worth watching, but others seem to like it.
It's a lot like Clone Wars: meandering in the beginning, with a lot of filler, but it picks up in later seasons and I'd say it has unarguably the most important episodes of the Clone Wars Expanded Universe to date. There are absolutely unmissable episodes.

Personally, I liked Rebels more than The Clone Wars, overall. Also, events/characters in Rebels get referenced in several of the movies, the tv shows and even some of the Star Wars games. I liked the group they put together.

Personally, I liked Rebels more than The Clone Wars, overall. Also, events/characters in Rebels get referenced in several of the movies, the tv shows and even some of the Star Wars games. I liked the group they put together.
Yeah, I finished watching the 2-part premiere earlier and I really like the cast. They're very diverse. Which is a breath of fresh air from a main cast mostly comprised of Jedi and clone troopers.

Been watching Star Wars Rebels. I find I'm enjoying it WAY more than Clone Wars. I might even say it's better than Clone Wars. I'm certainly more engaged with it. I just finished the season 2 finale earlier and DAMN that was a hell of a finale, especially with a battle between two certain characters.

I'm still not convinced Chopper isn't secretly a Sith Lord or something. That little fucker is evil...and yet I love him. Okay, he's not evil, but he's sassy as fuck.

But I find I'm way more engaged with this show. The stakes are easier to follow and keeping the characters contained within the same ship and traveling together makes is much easier to follow along. Even after they join the rebel fleet, they're still largely together for most adventures. The Clone Wars was...scattered. Which, to be fair, was by design since it's a giant war. But this show feels more focused, and it's in its favor.

Only two seasons left, and I'll probably move on to The Bad Batch. I'd also like to rewatch the original trilogy at some point. With that, I have the Despecialized Editions downloaded onto my Oculus. I mentioned this before, but I'd love to do a VR watch party with a bunch of people for that.

I was thinking about this the other day because of reasons that are redacted due to spoilers. It occurred to me that season 3 of Rebels has one of the best scenes in all of Star Wars.

GasBandit

Staff member
Emrys has never seen Sealab 2021, so we started watching that. It's scrambling her brains.

We got to the episode that ends in a crossover with Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

When the prospect of watching THAT came up, the prospect of me being single again also came up.

I was thinking about this the other day because of reasons that are redacted due to spoilers. It occurred to me that season 3 of Rebels has one of the best scenes in all of Star Wars.
Is it the episode where it gets all Kurosawa up in the hizzy with a certain lightsaber fight?

BECAUSE I HIGHLY AGREE.

Is it the episode where it gets all Kurosawa up in the hizzy with a certain lightsaber fight?

BECAUSE I HIGHLY AGREE.
That's literally the only clip I've ever seen from Rebels, and it's great. At least if it's the one I'm thinking of.

was it over in two moves?

Aaaaaand I just watched the episode with an ending that surprisingly left me tearing up. Damn.

Kaanan, NOOOOOOOOO. Fuck! I should've seen it coming. With his personal rebirth makeover, a final badass solo rescue, losing his lightsaber, and having a loving moment with Hera, his death was telegraphed a mile away. And it still hit me like a ton of bricks.

But goddamn, what a way to go.

Oh, and yes, it was the Obi-Wa/Maul battle i was referring to before.

Last edited:
Just finished the series finale of Star Wars Rebels.

I've REALLY enjoyed this show. Way more than Clone Wars, by a wide margin. I'm glad I watched Clone Wars , though, for the context and background it provided for this show.

I especially liked the epilogue, wrapping things up. I don't necessarily want or need them to follow up on what's teased at the end, but I wouldn't say no to a continuation somehow.

I especially liked the epilogue, wrapping things up. I don't necessarily want or need them to follow up on what's teased at the end, but I wouldn't say no to a continuation somehow.
It's entirely likely the upcoming live-action Ahsoka show on Disney+ will dig into this somewhat, considering what has been announced for it. I wouldn't mind seeing a live-action Admiral Thrawn.

Emrys has never seen Sealab 2021, so we started watching that. It's scrambling her brains.

We got to the episode that ends in a crossover with Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

When the prospect of watching THAT came up, the prospect of me being single again also came up.
Emrys has the right idea.

We finally got to my favorite Sealab 2021 episode, Der Dieb.

Emry's brain practically oozed out her ears.

The summary we agreed upon was that it was like an acid trip had a baby with a fever dream that was raised by a non sequitur.

Back when we were first dating in 2003, I introduced Mr. Z to Adult Swim. (This is also how he learned about Futurama and Family Guy). The first episode he ever saw of Sealab 2021 was "Vacation". He had no idea what the f was going on, but it actually made him want to watch it MORE. Every so often, he will STILL quote that episode to me.

Run, Emrys, run!

Screw it, watching Star Wars The Bad Batch. I never cared for the clone trooper stuff in Clone Wars, but I'm kinda digging this so far.

The transition from Republic to Empire is kinda fascinating. And I like that MOST of the Bad Batch are "immune" to Order 66. The new member of the Batch feels kinda weird, but I'm curious to see how it plays out.

I don't know what I'll do after I run out of animated Star Wars content to watch. Will I go through withdrawal or something?

GasBandit

Staff member
Back when we were first dating in 2003, I introduced Mr. Z to Adult Swim. (This is also how he learned about Futurama and Family Guy). The first episode he ever saw of Sealab 2021 was "Vacation". He had no idea what the f was going on, but it actually made him want to watch it MORE. Every so often, he will STILL quote that episode to me.

Run, Emrys, run!
To this DAY, I love the "Uh oh" montage. I even tracked down the music track so I could use it in my youtube videos and radio commercials.

ATTENTION ON DECK: UH OH. UH OH.

I definitely feel like Best Animated Feature award would be more meaningful if they required all members who want to vote on it to have actually seen all the movies in the category. Time after time Disney, Pixar, and OCCASIONALLY Dreamworks wins because it's typically the only animated film some members of the academy had seen or even heard of that year, denying foreign or smaller studios a meaningful place in the category.

Seriously... when is Cartoon Saloon (Book of Kells, Song of the Sea, Wolfwalkers, The Breadwinner) or Laika (ParaNorman, Kubo and the Two Strings, Coraline) going to win best feature? There have been years where they were heads and tails above the Pixar and/or Disney entries.